General & Others Haki equal what would they need to do to blacken their weapons

Part 1
What did ryuma and mihawk do to make their blades black?

Part 2
In a situation where they all have equal haki to ryuma or mihawk what would they need to do/know/etc to forge black blades. If they're missing information what kind?
*** obviously don't need to answer all of them
  1. Zoro
    • Wado ichimonji
    • Sandai kitetsu
    • Yubashiri
    • Enma
  2. Ipponmatsu
    • Yubashiri
  3. Tashigi
    • Yamaoroshi
    • Kashu
  4. BillyπŸ—Ώ
    • Yamaoroshi
  5. Mr. 11
    • Kashu
  6. Shiryu
    • Raiu
  7. Shiki
    • Oto
    • Kogarashi
  8. Cavendish
    • Durandal
  9. Amande
    • Shirauo
  10. Cracker
    • Pretzel
  11. Gion
    • Kompira
  12. Newgate
    • Murakumogiri
  13. Oden's -
    • Enmas
    • Habakiris
  14. Roger
    • Ace
Part 3: equal haki to ryuma and mihawk
Can non named or non meito or non special blades become black?

Part 4: equal haki to ryuma and mihawk
Can weapons bedsides blades black
Like yamato and kaido's clubs, Usopp and nami's weapons, etc.

Last edited:
I hope it's a combo of different kinds of haki, or at least CoC and CoA on top of bearing solid swordsmanship in general
Since Haki is linked to your will I think its about the will/desire for you as a swordsman to be able to cut anything with your blade.
In that case do yall think zoro will be able to achieve it in all 3 of his swords simultaneously?

So do yall think it's only something "true swordsmen" can attain? Like for example even if king had the haki he couldn't do it because he's not a real swords
We do know there are other types of bladed weapons/meito tho

In that case do yall think zoro will be able to achieve it in all 3 of his swords simultaneously?

So do yall think it's only something "true swordsmen" can attain? Like for example even if king had the haki he couldn't do it because he's not a real swords
We do know there are other types of bladed weapons/meito tho
I think he can achieve it in all 3 simultaneously but I reckon there would be some progression for all three blades.
its something every swordsman can try to obtain

"like mine"

black blades are durable which makes the cutting power of the blade is amplified (just have a look at when zoro first tested out shusui in comparison to wado in the same grade).

for someone like mihawk who treats every nick on his sword as a mark of shame , that would be the natural progression to avoid that at all cost.

for other strong sword fighters there is little indication that they seem to care all that much even if they might also have the facilities to make one ( i.e roger). when its all said and done , a stronger blade doesn't always determine the stronger fighter.

And who decides that? How did they know when she is gonna re-appear?
Idk joyboy along with the sea kings knew something
About his return and Poseidons
I think he can achieve it in all 3 simultaneously but I reckon there would be some progression for all three blades.
its something every swordsman can try to obtain

"like mine"

black blades are durable which makes the cutting power of the blade is amplified (just have a look at when zoro first tested out shusui in comparison to wado in the same grade).

for someone like mihawk who treats every nick on his sword as a mark of shame , that would be the natural progression to avoid that at all cost.

for other strong sword fighters there is little indication that they seem to care all that much even if they might also have the facilities to make one ( i.e roger). when its all said and done , a stronger blade doesn't always determine the stronger fighter.
What kind of progression do you mean/expect?

I guess it is different things coming into play. First and foremost, peak Ryuo, since that's what makes the swordsman become one with the blade and "cut everything and nothing as he desires". Haoshoku should also play a role most likely, first of all due to the "domination" thing, in this case domination of the blade, secondly, because being a conqueror or having kingly ambition naturally indicates higher power level. And powerful blades like Enma might be too difficult to wield for people who aren't even conquerors, with the blade itself maybe not accepting a wielder without kingly ambitions either. But also, being a master at his craft is also important. Mihawk said that a blade without grace is a weak one, with Zoro, who already was a proficient swordsman, asking Mihawk to teach him the way of the sword (with Haki being a part of the way of the sword obviously, but not only that, since using Haki to cut everything is more specific than just imbuing a fist or stick with it).

So Ryuo + Haoshoku + mastery of the craft that swordsmanship is, with Ryuo being the priority but needing the other 2 too.

I guess it is different things coming into play. First and foremost, peak Ryuo, since that's what makes the swordsman become one with the blade and "cut everything and nothing as he desires". Haoshoku should also play a role most likely, first of all due to the "domination" thing, in this case domination of the blade, secondly, because being a conqueror or having kingly ambition naturally indicates higher power level. And powerful blades like Enma might be too difficult to wield for people who aren't even conquerors, with the blade itself maybe not accepting a wielder without kingly ambitions either. But also, being a master at his craft is also important. Mihawk said that a blade without grace is a weak one, with Zoro, who already was a proficient swordsman, asking Mihawk to teach him the way of the sword (with Haki being a part of the way of the sword obviously, but not only that, since using Haki to cut everything is more specific than just imbuing a fist or stick with it).

So Ryuo + Haoshoku + mastery of the craft that swordsmanship is, with Ryuo being the priority but needing the other 2 too.
Tbf not all blades are as "strong willed" as enma
Like if you took a random fodders sword its most likely not gonna be specifically special

And swords being the only type of meito or in general weapon able to blacken is just weird imo

If it really is just haki + sword skill or proficiency you'd expect more people to believe that all zoro's swords will blacken at the same time but from what ive seen its very much a minority that believe that. Tho i could be wrong

You're assuming he's gonna be using all 3 when he does it.
If just his haki skill alone is what'll make his sword black nothing should be stopping him from applying the same to his other blades

Tbf not all blades are as "strong willed" as enma
Like if you took a random fodders sword its most likely not gonna be specifically special

And swords being the only type of meito or in general weapon able to blacken is just weird imo

If it really is just haki + sword skill or proficiency you'd expect more people to believe that all zoro's swords will blacken at the same time but from what ive seen its very much a minority that believe that. Tho i could be wrong
Yeah. I mean, blackening a sword is an extremely rare feat. And there is a strong indication that it is due to power. Oden was extremely skilled as a swordsman, even had his own variation of Nitoryu he called best, plus being a proficient user of Haoshoku and Ryuo too. With Tengu implying that a black blade was a level out of Oden's league.

Since Oden had it all, I guess you just have to be a more powerful version in terms of Haki.

Another theory I sympathize with, is, that for a sword to turn black, the wielder's will has to be fulfilled, which is carried through the sword. e.g. Kaido being killed through Enma = Oden's will, which also became the sword's will, means that the sword's will has been fulfilled. With Wado turning black upon defeating Mihawk. Of course, such will has to be of high magnitude, or hence every fodder would turn his blade black after achieving his end goal.

It is also interesting how the emphasis was laid on "forging" a black blade. Maybe Ryuo or a form of it, at its peak, can reconstruct the blade (akin to internal destruction Haki, internal construction Haki).

Yeah. I mean, blackening a sword is an extremely rare feat. And there is a strong indication that it is due to power. Oden was extremely skilled as a swordsman, even had his own variation of Nitoryu he called best, plus being a proficient user of Haoshoku and Ryuo too. With Tengu implying that a black blade was a level out of Oden's league.

Since Oden had it all, I guess you just have to be a more powerful version in terms of Haki.

Another theory I sympathize with, is, that for a sword to turn black, the wielder's will has to be fulfilled, which is carried through the sword. e.g. Kaido being killed through Enma = Oden's will, which also became the sword's will, means that the sword's will has been fulfilled. With Wado turning black upon defeating Mihawk. Of course, such will has to be of high magnitude, or hence every fodder would turn his blade black after achieving his end goal.

It is also interesting how the emphasis was laid on "forging" a black blade. Maybe Ryuo or a form of it, at its peak, can reconstruct the blade (akin to internal destruction Haki, internal construction Haki).
That's like saying Rogers haki was too weak. Roger being the top of haki and didn even have one

If it is just fulfilling the will/dream of the previous user but only when that will/dream is to beat or just kill someone of a certain power level that's also just weird

Yeah and if that does end up being the case zoro might leave wano with 3 black blade

Imo to forge a Black Blade you gotta fuse a lot of CoA with a lot of CoC. And alongside that, you also need to tame the sword, to accomplish the blade's will. Seeing how every sword has it's own soul, making it a black blade definitely has something to do with the sword's soul. That would also solve why X character wasn't capable of making a black blade despite having incredible amounts of CoA and CoC.

Imo to forge a Black Blade you gotta fuse a lot of CoA with a lot of CoC. And alongside that, you also need to tame the sword, to accomplish the blade's will. Seeing how every sword has it's own soul, making it a black blade definitely has something to do with the sword's soul. That would also solve why X character wasn't capable of making a black blade despite having incredible amounts of CoA and CoC.
Do you think only weapons with their own will/soul can go through the transformation? I feel like it makes sense but at the same time wonder what makes a weapon semi sentient
Like if its similar to ships where it needs love and care could hypothetical any weapon have a soul. Like usopp, franky, or vegapunks creations

And how they decide their own dream/goal/accomplishment that needs to be achieved
Like with enma
We know Oden was able to hold it even easier than current zoro but before he returned to wano the final time could he have made it black. Either through kozaburos dream or his. He obviously didn't turn it but still

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
β€Ž
I warmly hope haki will be involved by far the most despite it can sound linear but merely in that it was highly portrayed as the ultimate source of power at least for the moment