Manga Discussion Hell's Paradise: Jigokuraku

Lmaooo I was gonna suggest sweet and sour sauce too haha!

Ooof I'm not keen on stuff like that. I do see a real horror vibe to this series, maybe grotesque especially? I saw a pretty gross panel on Google earlier lol.

I'll try out some chapters and see how I go.
I was only referring to the style of the monsters. It has nothing of that other stuff Berserk is (in)famous for, don't worry.

The story is really heartwarming 🥰

I'm on Chapter 80 and hoping to finish this weekend. The story just cut back to Mei and Sagiri (finally! I was wondering what they were doing...) I'm also wondering what happened to the second wave of Asaemon with Jikka and Shugen. We haven't seen them in a long time. Shugen's attitude toward criminals is gonna be an issue, I assume.

I love bizarro-Mihawk, I mean Gantetsusai. He's a beast but his one-liners are hilarious. He's smarter than he thinks he is, too.

Gabimaru is a great protaganist, but Chobei has stolen the show lately. Nice to see the bandit brothers grow up a bit.

Slimy Yuzuriha has decided to try harder, which is nice. I like her more and more. I don't think she's dead, but I'm a little worried for her.

The addition of elemental damage was bound to happen, or our heroes wouldn't be able to fight! Imbuing the weapons with tao and using doubled-up elemental attacks were nice developments.

I'm hoping that Mei really will escape with the rest of them and live a normal life, but I'm not holding my breath for her. I don't really understand the aging/de-aging thing with her, tho.

Tao Fa and Ju Fa... my impressions went like:
Oh they're creepy swingers
They're decent fighters but weird
Oh hell no they're really creepy
But he wants to protect her smile, isn't that sweet?
Oh hell no they're a big perverted double plant monster. Hurry and put them out of their misery!

I can't wait to meet the big boss who created all this mess. It's a paradise where no one is happy, and they're just wasting their own existence, along with humans' so they can dick around and research immortality. In contrast, the humans are living moment to moment, living for each day.

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
I'm on Chapter 80 and hoping to finish this weekend. The story just cut back to Mei and Sagiri (finally! I was wondering what they were doing...) I'm also wondering what happened to the second wave of Asaemon with Jikka and Shugen. We haven't seen them in a long time. Shugen's attitude toward criminals is gonna be an issue, I assume.

I love bizarro-Mihawk, I mean Gantetsusai. He's a beast but his one-liners are hilarious. He's smarter than he thinks he is, too.

Gabimaru is a great protaganist, but Chobei has stolen the show lately. Nice to see the bandit brothers grow up a bit.

Slimy Yuzuriha has decided to try harder, which is nice. I like her more and more. I don't think she's dead, but I'm a little worried for her.

The addition of elemental damage was bound to happen, or our heroes wouldn't be able to fight! Imbuing the weapons with tao and using doubled-up elemental attacks were nice developments.

I'm hoping that Mei really will escape with the rest of them and live a normal life, but I'm not holding my breath for her. I don't really understand the aging/de-aging thing with her, tho.

Tao Fa and Ju Fa... my impressions went like:
Oh they're creepy swingers
They're decent fighters but weird
Oh hell no they're really creepy
But he wants to protect her smile, isn't that sweet?
Oh hell no they're a big perverted double plant monster. Hurry and put them out of their misery!

I can't wait to meet the big boss who created all this mess. It's a paradise where no one is happy, and they're just wasting their own existence, along with humans' so they can dick around and research immortality. In contrast, the humans are living moment to moment, living for each day.
Sounds like you're liking it thus far. I am glad.

Gabimaru is great, and Chobei even better imo, so I agree there.

I'll keep this short not to spoil you unintentionally lol, but I am looking forward to more of your updates.

I finished it yesterday. Couldn't put it down towards the end!
@Fami Zogratis I died when Gantetsusai cut the ship. Whatta man :amazing:

Is it "Chobe" or "Chobei?" Is Chobe just something Viz decided to go with?
Either way, Chobes is a fantastic character and I wanna read a prequel and sequel about the Aza brothers.

Gabimaru, though, is more representative of the themes of the story as a whole as far as flux, believing in things you can't see, free will, and other themes I'm probably forgetting. I like him a lot, too.

And Gantetsusai just kept getting cooler and cooler! I was really happy he got the pardon.

The women though! Well-rounded women characters who can fight as well as the men?! Wow, I'm in love! Yuzuriha, Sagiri, lil Nurugai, even Mei and Yui got some depth! Isuzu too. Yet, the girl power ran a little thin art-wise sometimes, and certain panels were just an excuse to draw boobs. And why are they the same pair of boobs no matter the character?

Loved the fast pace of this story, but sometimes I felt like I'd skipped a page. But the feeling of urgency and a little uncertainty within the story reflects what the characters are going though, and that's neat.

The twists and turns were amazing! Rien, especially. Didn't see that coming at all.

I really liked the mashup of Island of Dr Moreau and black magic. It's hard to categorize this, but it's almost sci-fi? Definitely would recommend and I can't wait for the anime!

Chobes is a fantastic character and I wanna read a prequel and sequel about the Aza brothers.
Oh Yes:steef: the brothers are interesting. They may be totally f.cked up in the head but I'd like to follow them a bit more.
And Gantetsusai just kept getting cooler and cooler!I was really happy he got the pardon.
I didn't like him that much in the beginning, thought he'll just be another Kaido but I got pleasantly surprised. It made the most sense for him to get the pardon.

It's hard to categorize this, but it's almost sci-fi?
Yeah lol, can't categorise it either😂 it kinda starts out as horror/mystery and while the horror element is there throughout the story this supernatural stuff blends ancient magic with modern elements.
The whole reveal that the island's religion was never real in the first place was a bit shocking.
That they've been using it all to cover up their scheme to lure humans to their island.

And I really like the overall message of the manga.

The characters' idea of what is just and 'normal' is being challenged continuously, those that remain stagnant and refuse to re-evaluate their beliefs end up dying.
All of those that survived belong to those who accepted to change and grow.
The government's flawed morality is shown to be not much better than the sick misanthropy of (most of) the Tengens.( The reveal about what was his name again the Chinese guy who established that whole island business was great too)
The shogun just wants a big show, half of the "criminals" aren't even that evil.
Gantetsusai's reason for being convicted is a joke and Nurugai didn't do anything at all. Her crime being labelled as "disturbing the peace" by belonging to an ethnic group that doesn't surrender to the shogun is ridiculous, it made me furious damn🤬that poor kid.

I like about Yuzuriha's and Sagiri's relationship that they started out not liking and trusting each other at all, but in the end Yuzuriha's fake affection turned into actual friendship.
I really didn't like Sagiri a lot in the beginning but her character development is awesome.
The one female executioner who is in the second group that arrives at the island (forgot the name, the tall one) is like another Sagiri but one who didn't dare to challenge her own beliefs.
And that's why she died :milaugh:

Can't wait for the anime either🤩

And the finale worries me a bit because they're starting it all over again.
This looks like the author is planning a sequel.

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
I finished it yesterday. Couldn't put it down towards the end!
Yeah it's so addictive.

@Fami Zogratis I died when Gantetsusai cut the ship. Whatta man :amazing:
Yeah he was pretty dope. All of Jigo's characters are to be honest, it's very hard to choose just a few favourites, well at least for me.

Is it "Chobe" or "Chobei?" Is Chobe just something Viz decided to go with?
I think Chobe is just Viz's decision. Afaik, the kanji says Chobei, but not sure lol.

Either way, Chobes is a fantastic character and I wanna read a prequel and sequel about the Aza brothers.
That would be awesome, I agree.

Gabimaru, though, is more representative of the themes of the story as a whole as far as flux, believing in things you can't see, free will, and other themes I'm probably forgetting. I like him a lot, too.
Yeah he's one of the rare MCs I really like.

The women though! Well-rounded women characters who can fight as well as the men?! Wow, I'm in love!
Yeah it was a very nice part of it.

The twists and turns were amazing!
Agree. I was completely caught off guard by them.

It's hard to categorize this, but it's almost sci-fi?
Agree as well, not sure what to classify it as lol.

How about your favourite characters overall?

My list is this, but I always feel like I forgot about someone lol

Yuzuriha
Chobe
Rien
Gabimaru
Shija
Toma
Sagiri
Shugen
Jikka
Tao Fa
Shion

Last edited:
And I really like the overall message of the manga.
Yes! And it was interesting to see the ways different characters challenged the norms that held them back. Good point about how those are the ones who survived.

How about your favourite characters overall?

My list is this, but I always feel like I forgot about someone lol

Yuzuriha
Chobe
Rien
Gabimaru
Shija
Toma
Sagiri
Shugen
Tao Fa
Shion
Shija? So scary!

My list is
Sagiri
Gabimaru
Chobei (#2 and #3 are really close)
Yuzuriha
Gantetsusai
Shion
Nurugai
Tenza
Rien
Jikka

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Shugen is one of these characters that seem to look sane at first but turn out to be completely and totally insane. Just like the black haired Ninja guy who's in 'love' with Gabimaru.
Shugen is a literal absurdist character 😂😂
Shija? We don't know their gender.

oh I see. I can't remember seeing any girl-looking characters in Gabimaru's flashbacks so I assumed they only trained boys as ninjas. wasn't it mentioned somewhere that the boys were raised as killers and the girls as 'breeding mares'?