Versus Battle Hunter x Hunter vs One Piece

R1: Which one is better? / R2: Which one do you enjoy more?

• Total voters
Meh, I have to be honest. HxH is very overrated here, One Pieces far superior in almost any aspect.

-Plot: OP. HxH don't have any plot XD

-Main characters: OP. There's no debate bro. Togashi can't even give a role in the history to Gon and Leorio, and this last guy has a very pathetic development around the series. He is useless and didn't even has a nice characterization as medic, he onle tells his sad past and that's all. In One Piece only Nami's story stomps any MC of Togashi.

-Side characters: OP. Side characters in HxH are just too boring, Togashi can't introduce a new mystery or character without make it being related to the DC. A mystery box.

-Villains: OP. WG is the best villain in the nekketsu.

-Character designs: OP. That's something more personal, but I like more Oda's character design. Togashi also had a shit drawing in this manga.

-Power system: Tie. Nen is excelent to explain simple things (almost all the abilities of the characters are children games), but when he needs to explain something mor ecomplex he creates something VERY convenient (like Kurapika) or a shit like Gon's rage and Alluka existence. And I have to thing that this shit is good because "bruh, Dark Continent".

DF/Haki system is more simple, but works better.

-Story arcs: OP. HxH only have 1 good arc.

-Incorporation of themes: OP.

-Art: OP. Oda have a most consistent work around all the series, a lot of imagination and, I have to say, a better drawing style. Let's be honest, Togashi's ego damaged a lof the manga.

-Imagery: OP.

-Panelling: OP.

Oda stoms, Togashi don't have any chance. One Piece create some of the most iconic manga panels in the shonen, and I don't care how much the huntertards can defend Togashi's work... Is the worst in the nekketsus. I know about Togashi's back problems. But he don't wants to taking over the job from a well-qualified draftsman out of pride is his problem.

-Originality: OP. How can you thing that HxH is more original than One Piece?

-World building: OP. I don't have words to describe the ABYSMAL difference between the WD of this two mangas. One Piece is in a level TOTALLY DIFFERENT. You can wath it for yourself. Let's be honest, Togahi's wolrd depends of a McGuffin or Mystery Box all the time.

-Characterization: OP. HxH's cast characterization is no existent (as almost all the members of Phantom Troupe, Zoldyck Family or Zodiacs), inconsistent (Kurapika talked a lof of how the Hunters are "proud" and honorable people, but then he don't seems angry or outraged at how killers can get licensed and kill other hunters) or bad (Gon is the worst character). Of course, there are good characters with a great characterization like Kurapika (if I ignore the last thing), Meruem, Pitou, Hisoka or Netero, but almost all the cast has a very inconsistent characterization.

Oda usally works it better. Giving a rol to all the characters in one saga, and I he don't have something to do with them he sends these characters to the next island. I mean, every Mugiwara has his own saga, and enought screen time to have an own personality. Of course, some times Oda has to make more focus in other elements, but thanks to it we have some of the better characters: Oden, Edward Newgate, Garp, Doflamingo, Corazon, Law, the Nine Red Scabbards.

I mean, a lot of this work usually is forgotten for all the poeple. But is this focus in te storytelling that Oda can give to use some of the best lines in the series.

"I would enjoy the chance to show you my skill with the balde"

-Enjoyment: OP if you want a great adventure with a lot of focus in the storytelling and a huge lore, HxH if you want overexposure and turn off your brain.

Meh, I have to be honest. HxH is very overrated here, One Pieces far superior in almost any aspect.

-Plot: OP. HxH don't have any plot XD

-Main characters: OP. There's no debate bro. Togashi can't even give a role in the history to Gon and Leorio, and this last guy has a very pathetic development around the series. He is useless and didn't even has a nice characterization as medic, he onle tells his sad past and that's all. In One Piece only Nami's story stomps any MC of Togashi.

-Side characters: OP. Side characters in HxH are just too boring, Togashi can't introduce a new mystery or character without make it being related to the DC. A mystery box.

-Villains: OP. WG is the best villain in the nekketsu.

-Character designs: OP. That's something more personal, but I like more Oda's character design. Togashi also had a shit drawing in this manga.

-Power system: Tie. Nen is excelent to explain simple things (almost all the abilities of the characters are children games), but when he needs to explain something mor ecomplex he creates something VERY convenient (like Kurapika) or a shit like Gon's rage and Alluka existence. And I have to thing that this shit is good because "bruh, Dark Continent".

DF/Haki system is more simple, but works better.

-Story arcs: OP. HxH only have 1 good arc.

-Incorporation of themes: OP.

-Art: OP. Oda have a most consistent work around all the series, a lot of imagination and, I have to say, a better drawing style. Let's be honest, Togashi's ego damaged a lof the manga.

-Imagery: OP.

-Panelling: OP.

Oda stoms, Togashi don't have any chance. One Piece create some of the most iconic manga panels in the shonen, and I don't care how much the huntertards can defend Togashi's work... Is the worst in the nekketsus. I know about Togashi's back problems. But he don't wants to taking over the job from a well-qualified draftsman out of pride is his problem.

-Originality: OP. How can you thing that HxH is more original than One Piece?

-World building: OP. I don't have words to describe the ABYSMAL difference between the WD of this two mangas. One Piece is in a level TOTALLY DIFFERENT. You can wath it for yourself. Let's be honest, Togahi's wolrd depends of a McGuffin or Mystery Box all the time.

-Characterization: OP. HxH's cast characterization is no existent (as almost all the members of Phantom Troupe, Zoldyck Family or Zodiacs), inconsistent (Kurapika talked a lof of how the Hunters are "proud" and honorable people, but then he don't seems angry or outraged at how killers can get licensed and kill other hunters) or bad (Gon is the worst character). Of course, there are good characters with a great characterization like Kurapika (if I ignore the last thing), Meruem, Pitou, Hisoka or Netero, but almost all the cast has a very inconsistent characterization.

Oda usally works it better. Giving a rol to all the characters in one saga, and I he don't have something to do with them he sends these characters to the next island. I mean, every Mugiwara has his own saga, and enought screen time to have an own personality. Of course, some times Oda has to make more focus in other elements, but thanks to it we have some of the better characters: Oden, Edward Newgate, Garp, Doflamingo, Corazon, Law, the Nine Red Scabbards.

I mean, a lot of this work usually is forgotten for all the poeple. But is this focus in te storytelling that Oda can give to use some of the best lines in the series.

"I would enjoy the chance to show you my skill with the balde"

-Enjoyment: OP if you want a great adventure with a lot of focus in the storytelling and a huge lore, HxH if you want overexposure and turn off your brain.
what a bunch of shit :suresure:

One Piece whole story relies solely on "mystery" that Oda refuses to share for the past 25 years. If he shared those mysteries than maybe there is chance between the two series but since he doesn't than it is HxH by far.

-Plot: HxH: Since Oda refuses to even address the fundamental questions of his plot and instead chooses his plot to be more about characters running around not doing anything.

-Main characters: HxH: Killua and Gon vs Luffy? lol

-Side characters: HxH: There are A LOT less side characters than One Piece so Togashi has better use of his time to develop them so obviously HxH unlike Oda who just creates a bunch of useless characters that end up doing nothing relevant nor significant.

-Villains: HxH: Phantom Troupe vs Warlords? Kaido vs Meruem? Hisoka vs Big Meme? lol no contest HxH villains are way more fleshed out and they act like Villains unlike the Yonkos where Oda purposely make them do nonsensical things.

-Character designs: One Piece: It is obvious Oda is the better drawer between the two HOWEVER Togashi can draw as good as Oda but he is so lazy lol. You can tell Togashi does not like to work lol

-Power system: HxH: No reason to explain.

-Story arcs: HxH: Oda just creates way too many story arcs that every arc just feels like a copy and paste so this easily goes to HxH.

-Incorporation of themes: OP: I guess OP wins by default here however both authors aren't that great with themes, since Oda plagiarizes other works themes for example WCI theme was plagiarized from Alice in Wonderland. Whereas Togashi doesn't really value themes as much as Oda does.

-Art: OP

-Imagery: HxH

-Originality: HxH: Since One Piece tries so hard to be like Dragon Ball.

-World building: OP used to be good at world building but we didn't have any world building in post time skip One Piece other than the Reverie that lasted all of five chapters. So I don't who to choose here I guess OP wins.

-Characterization: HxH: No reason to explain since HxH whole story is basically about characterization since it is a heavily character driven story whereas One Piece is very plot driven and has very little character.

-Enjoyment: HxH easily since OP gets you frustrated on how pointless the story has become where 90% of arcs consist of straight up filler and can be skipped without any loss of information to the fundamental story.

Last edited:
plot- One Piece. HxH is just a bunch of arcs tied together loosely by Gon's desire to meet his dad. One Piece has a concise story that is building up to a grand finale

main charcacters- HxH. Treats it's group a lot better than the SHs

side characters- One Piece by far. The supernova, warlords, etc

Villains- HxH and is being carried heavily by Meruem and Chrollo in Yorknew

character design- One Piece, I don't see how this is disputable

power system- HxH. Nen stomps haki, and DFs can be broken

story arcs - HxH. What it lacks in an overarching grand narratives makes up for the fact that each arc is it's own little story.

Incorporation of Themes- HxH has done revenge plots for example a lot better than One Piece.

Art- One Piece

Imagery - One Piece excels at this better than 99% of other shonen

Originality- One Piece. Not really fair for HxH considering Togashi also wrote YuYu Hakushu which was successful, so he obviously steals concepts from there

World Building- One Piece and it's not close. Sorry HxH fans, we still don't know shit about Gyro. One Piece actually looks to add lore and keep relevant the character it introduces

Characterization- HxH. Gon and Killua actually have substantial character growth unlike Luffy

Enjoyment - One Piece, this is mainly jaded by weekly reading HxH. If you know you know

I think Hunter x Hunter is written better than One Piece (just take a look at Act 3) but I’d be lying if I said I enjoy it as much

One Piece is my top 1, it will probably always be my top 1. I have a very special connection to the series that I just can’t break. I love it too much

HxH has been in my top 3 for a decade so I also hold it very close to my heart BUT I just can’t put it over One Piece. It’s close but not close enough

I catched up with HxH only last year after a small surgery.
I had a lot of spare time so I made up my mind and started to watch the 2011 anime version which is said to be quite faithful to the manga.

I still can't go over arcs like Yorknew City and Chimera Ant. I wish I could reset my memory and watch them again and again.

Not to speak about characters...I can't literally decide who is my favorite, it's like there is no wrong option at all. Whoever you pick is a good choice. Gon, Hisoka, Killua, Kurapika, Netero, Meruem, Chrollo, Silva, Zeno, Komugi, Illumi etc.

Overall I think that HxH takes the edge.

HxH has superior:

- power system detailed structure and application, effortful and developing characters instead of plot armors / plot devices, creativity in handling the plot of each arc, maximizing the lore.

---

OP has superior:

- fun power system concept, consistency, art, ideological clash, fun adventure and exploration system, deep and original analogies regarding the real world, huge and extremely original concept of world building and lore.

---
---

I really think if Oda sacrifice his consistency like Togashi does regularly, One Piece's power system application, world building and creativity of each arc will surpass HxH. Which is why i still favor OP overall, even with various aspect of HxH plot and system being clearly superior.

Last edited: