Versus Battle Hunter x Hunter vs One Piece

R1: Which one is better? / R2: Which one do you enjoy more?

• Total voters

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
I never said OP villains were bad.

They just aren't as well written as the three HxH villains I brought up.
i frankly don't think Hisoka is better than Blackbeard or Kuma or some Marines

Hisoka is great and all but he doesn't have insane development either

Meruem and Royal Guards road to mankind was amazing to watch and likely above anything OP had to offer but outside that HxH villains aren't god tier or something

Chrollo, the PT, Hisoka are good villains.

Pariston and the prince have great potential

Villains: There is not a single villain in OP that can even touch Meruem, Chrollo or Hisoka in terms of writing.

Story arcs: Once again there is not a single OP arc even close to the brilliance of Yorknew or the Chimera Ant Arc

A for the rest, fair game, you can certainly see it that way.
Meruem is a very poorly written character. He's the worst villain in HxH. Even Genthru is better. He has no rational motivations. We are not familiarised with the character at any point - we know next to nothing about him. He has one fight and dips. He has no wider impact on the story of HxH, he literally just exists as a big scary powerhouse who ultimately doesn't do anything in any way - a good villain is usually a foil of the main character in some way, it's literally psychologically proven that villains are more compelling when they directly oppose the protagonist in numerous ways which can be anything from motive, actions, behaviour etc. - Meruem has zero personality, no behaviours of any kind, no motivations of any kind. He's an empty shell of a villain.

Chrollo is a good villain but again I wouldn't put him above Doffy or Teach as things stand. Considering Chrollo a villain is a stretch in its own right too.

Hisoka's an anti-hero, not a villain.

Why do you wank over the Chimera Ants/arc so much? It's literally the worst arc in HxH and it's not even close.

Why do you wank over the Chimera Ants/arc so much? It's literally the worst arc in HxH and it's not even close.
If you think that, fine.

There is a reason about 95% of all manga readers disagree with you though.

Oda hopes he could write something even remotely close to the level of the CA arc. Unfortunately he has declined so much these days, that the only stuff that comes out of his pencil is sth like the Wano arc.

If you think that, fine.

Oda hopes he could write something even remotely close to the level of the CA arc. Unfortunately he has declined so much these days, that the only stuff that comes out of his pencil is sth like the Wano arc.
Well, almost all CAs is irrelevant for the future and most of the chapters in this saga were a waste of time. Is really a mid arc with a end "interesting" in Meruem's and Netero's side, but that don't solve anything. And I think that Togashi puts himself in a giant problem with the powerlevels here, that was a very stupid movement.

lmao Greed Island is the worst arc and is not even close
Oh, he knows that.

He's a pretty obvious (and unfortunately rather poor) troll though. You can see that he voted both times OP in the poll and was probably really, really mad that HxH has such a comfortable lead.

His mindset was: "How can I hurt HxH fans the most? Ah, right, I will try to shit on the CA arc, which basically everyone calls a masterpiece! Not to mention shitting on Meruem, who is generally accepted as one of the best written manga villains ever!"

So best not further engage here, it will lead to nothing anyway! ;-)

Meruem is a very poorly written character. He's the worst villain in HxH. Even Genthru is better. He has no rational motivations. We are not familiarised with the character at any point - we know next to nothing about him. He has one fight and dips. He has no wider impact on the story of HxH, he literally just exists as a big scary powerhouse who ultimately doesn't do anything in any way - a good villain is usually a foil of the main character in some way, it's literally psychologically proven that villains are more compelling when they directly oppose the protagonist in numerous ways which can be anything from motive, actions, behaviour etc. - Meruem has zero personality, no behaviours of any kind, no motivations of any kind. He's an empty shell of a villain.

Chrollo is a good villain but again I wouldn't put him above Doffy or Teach as things stand. Considering Chrollo a villain is a stretch in its own right too.

Hisoka's an anti-hero, not a villain.

Bruh
Post automatically merged:

lmao Greed Island is the worst arc and is not even close
Greed island is one of the best though. Personally my fav.

If you think that, fine.

There's at least 20 arcs above the CA arc in quality from OP. If you were to talk about some of the better arcs (i.e. everything that isnt CA) I think it would be more thought provoking to actually discern which story has better arcs on average.

It's funny how threatening you think my opinion is - especially as you claim i'm trying to shit on HxH fans when I myself am an HxH fan. Gaslighting as you know my critique of Meruem is right and you know you won't have any other points that stand their ground. I've read through both OP and HxH at least 5x each from start to finish and have been following both for the last 15 years. I like to think I have a very good grasp of both stories. The objective fact of the matter is CA arc is droll af. You liking it personally is fine, but I would appreciate presenting an argument as to why you disagree rather than contributing absolutely nothing to any kind of discussion. You are also confusing what you enjoy with what is objectively good/not good writing. There is a difference. Another example would be I enjoy Game of Thrones, but the last seasons are terribly written, but I watched them anyway, because I like Game of Thrones.

The majority of people that rate it watched the 2011 anime which upgraded on the source material immensely - and yet it's still one of the worst arcs in the story even with the improvements to the highly inconsistent pacing of the Manga. It was polled by Shounen to rank the arcs of HxH and Chimera Ants was dead last. And if you must know, Yorknew came out 1st with GI 2nd.

Someone doesn't know how to write characters :suresure:

Last edited:
Pretty simple: Way more complex and nuanced, all of them pose an actual threat and both their completely different personalities alongside their actual character development is nothing any OP villain had so far.
Oh come on! Hisoka is actually an anti villain, not a villain, meruem is a Cell copycat, nice character interesting but thats it. How is any of them better than guys like donflamingo or blackbeard?

-Plot : One Piece
-Main characters :One Piece
-Side characters : One Piece
-Villains : One Piece
-Character designs : One Piece
-Power system : HxH
-Story arcs : HxH
-Incorporation of themes : One Piece
-Art : One Piece
-Imagery : One Piece
-Panelling : One Piece
-Originality : Both
-World building : One Piece
-Characterization : HxH
-Enjoyment : HxH
-
Anime : HxH

I have watched HxH and tried manga but it not my cup of tea. About side characters and characterization HxH is not that behind OP. But has simply too many good characters and Oda is keep rolling after 20+ years..
Overall OP is better but i enjoyed watching HxH anime too

Read the manga and use your brain, should be pretty easy to find that out on your own.
Hisoka is a villain for Gon specifically but in-verse is not a villain. He's actually an anti-hero given his role in arcs like GI and his motives actually aligning with some of the main cast.

Meruem has no consistency. He goes from wanting to become stronger. To wanting to prove his strength. To wanting to kill all humans. To wanting to kill all but a few humans. He has no consistent motive of any kind, nor any believable motive of any kind at any given point in his story arc. We wait half an arc for him to be born, so the CA arc has no true villain for over 40 chapters.

Meruem has no interactions with Gon our main character. He kills off one important side character and then dies. That's all he achieves - which is sorely disappointing since he gets hyped up as if he could be the final villain of the entire verse/story. For the hype he got, we should have seen a far more compelling and believable character who doesn't change at the flip of a switch every time - who also does a lot more than kill one dude of relative importance.