Character Discussion I can't bring myself to like any of the Straw Hats post skip

I don't think so

apart from Law, how much attention did any of the supernova get?
That's the thing, Oda really struggled integrating them into part 2. Most of them started having an actual role in Wano. However, they did set the trend of introducing loads of side characters in an arc that ultimately don't contribute much to the story. The alliance introduced in Dressrosa is pretty much the same problem and half of the main characters had to be kicked out of the story. Characters like Carrot don't really impact the story or the development of the main characters. Fans seem to like her because she comes across as a Chopper 2.0 but worse.

The appeal of One piece for me was the feeling of going on an adventure with a group of colorful friends, and working together to overcome the odds. In the TS, there are so many characters to the point the main cast are more like side characters and the pace feels too slow now. Part 1 really had a charming simplicity, a sense of adventure, and actual tension by not overloading the reader with information, and supporting characters. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

If One Piece was originally supposed to run for only five years, then that would explain why Oda is struggling to develop the Strawhats now. They are probably developed characters in his mind.

I don't care if we have constant fights. I am hoping that after Wano, we can have some quiet crew moments on the Sunny. For example, Robin does not have to fight for her life and existence. Her role in the story is still important. Why can't Oda draw a moment where she explains to Luffy and Co about her research on the poneglyphs and Joy Boy or Devil Fruits. Then the characters would learn more about the world just like the reader.

That's the thing, Oda really struggled integrating them into part 2. Most of them started having an actual role in Wano. However, they did set the trend of introducing loads of side characters in an arc that ultimately don't contribute much to the story. The alliance introduced in Dressrosa is pretty much the same problem and half of the main characters had to be kicked out of the story. Characters like Carrot don't really impact the story or the development of the main characters. Fans seem to like her because she comes across as a Chopper 2.0 but worse.

The appeal of One piece for me was the feeling of going on an adventure with a group of colorful friends, and working together to overcome the odds. In the TS, there are so many characters to the point the main cast are more like side characters and the pace feels too slow now. Part 1 really had a charming simplicity, a sense of adventure, and actual tension by not overloading the reader with information, and supporting characters. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I think the example of the Supernovas only highlights the major problem Oda has with secondary characters post-time skip. The Supernovas were actually handled well in Sabaody. The Strawhats still got the main focus of the arc and the supernovas got their own time to shine.

Post Time skip on the other hand, the secondary characters steal far too much time from the Strawhats, like the Scabbards now in Wano. Law was actually done mostly well in Dressrosa, but the other Novas in Wano are suffering from the same lack of time. It's not like it's an issue that couldn't have been done well in the first place. A lot of the time wasted on the Scabbards could have been spent on the Supernovas and their crews. The Mimawarigumi, Yakuza bosses, Tama, etc could have their time cut in half and actually show the Supernovas & crews in action, instead the likes of Bepo are hardly even an afterthought anymore.

The Supernovas are really only suffering in terms of integration in Wano specifically.

:laughmoji:

Goku:
- Shit father
- Got most of his power-ups out of nowhere
- Pretty meh character
- Messiah vibe
- Trains but he's not even the strongest and get his ass kicked

Ichigo:
- Okay character
- Too much parallels (Human/Shinigami/Hollow/Quincy/Fullbringer Hybrid)
- His opponents let him win (Grimmjow and Aizen)

etc.

Goku:
- Shit father
- Pretty meh character
- Messiah vibe

Ichigo:
- Okay character

etc.
Goku
1. Goku shit father? He is giving his life to protect his sons a number of times.
2. What power up out of nowhere? He is always training, Super Sayajin was the myth that made Freeza killing all the Sayajins in first place...
3. Okay not so good character but not a bullshiter like Luffy "Get out here. I will not lose to Kaido".
4. Messiah vibe? You are talking about Luffy right? Joyboy, smiling and getting stronger, special DF, hidden power said by Mihawk.
5. Again... Luffy is the one you are talking about right?

Ichigo
1. I would say Ichigo is even bad character. Depressive and stuff. We never knew what he wanted for life. He is just doing stuff without a purpose.
2. Yes, as Luffy. Father is World's Most Wanted Criminal, Grandpa Marine Hero. He is saying the same thing Roger the King of Pirates said etc.
3. Again, talking about Luffy...

Goku:
- Shit father
- Pretty meh character
- Messiah vibe

Ichigo:
- Okay character

etc.
:laughmoji::laughmoji:

Talking about DBZ goku shit father doesn't do that much for his character......and powerups do have a cause and goku > luffy sorry........(I haven't watch super)

Nah ichigo up till SS arc > luffy and both ichigo and luffy degrades after SS and pre skip.............

Double edge Sword.

If Oda kept the same formula he did for preskip, it would be....

"How come Oda only focuses on the Straw Hats? There is so many characters in this series, but every arc it's just Straw Hats this, Straw Hats that...." Etc...

When Oda first broke away from the formula during Sabaody/Amazon Lily/Marineford it was heavily welcomed, because people were getting tired of the same thing.

Hopefully Oda switches it back up after Wano, as we move into endgame and we shift the main focus back to the Straw Hats up until after Laugh Tale and the Final War begins.

Its like Oda just does nothing with these characters. 90% of the stuff that keeps people watching one piece is lore and hype, I swear to god. And like its fine if you like that, I like that(to a degree) as well. But looking back on the timeskip, I just find Oda's writing off these characters to be insufferable.

I feel like Oda almost always fails to give them compelling story arcs. If I do look forward to a straw hat moment, its entirely because of fights. And I think that's true for most people here. When you see a zoro fan on this site, how often do they talk about zoro's character? Its almost always a wankfest of how many feats he has and how strong he is. And its not even just him, all of the straw hats fall flat post skip. Oda doesn't want to take risks, he doesn't want to shake the boat too much. One piece is a best selling series and so he likes to just do what he's been doing for the past 20+ years.

After a point, its just not interesting.

I honestly feel like Luffy is something of a mary sue. He faces no real struggles as a character. He doesn't have flaws, he's overpowered, he learns high level techniques with utter ease. He's a chosen one who is blatantly portrayed to be the next joyboy/Roger. For a guy who wants to be the world's greatest pirate, I wish Luffy would honestly act like an asshole sometimes, I wish he'd steal something or occasionally kill someone. Just add anything to his character that stops him from being "perfect".

And like yeah, kaido's much stronger than him. But you know he's going to keep coming back until he beats him, possibly with the power of plot on his side.

Ultimately, I feel like the repetitive arc structure is wearing down the quality of the story. Whereas pre-skip, you had a story intimately connected with the straw hats, post skip just doesn't seem to be that anymore. There are so many side characters that more often than not, these side characters get a bigger spotlight than our main cast.
The only straw hat I like is Zoro
Rest are steaming piles of horse shit

A pile of trash that your fav will forever be weaker than. :myman:

Oda just can't help himself.

Gives Zoro a magical Sword.....

Makes the Gomu Gomu no Mi extra special....

He always has Luffy one up ya boy. :steef:
Lmao weaker than
Cock sucking condom bitch had to get 25 power ups and still failed to do 1/100th against Kaido compared to what Zoro did with one very very debatable power up

Unless you are on a never ending acid trip, it should be blatantly obvious power scaling goes like this

Current Zoro > AdvCoC Luffy ~ Dressrosa Zoro >> Chapter 1000 Luffy > Post WCI Luffy > Dressrosa Luffy

So now imagine just how much of a bug Luffy was compared to Zoro in FMI

Zoro negs his fodder ass then now and forever