Questions & Mysteries Implicit meaning of One Piece

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
I like the thoughts Reborn and i share them mostly. The true goal will be a united world, the all sea and a freedom between all races and people.

I just disagree in one point, your idea of the physical form of the one piece. I dont think "one world" is meant by it, i think it is something else, maybe some kind of map, or something like a diary of Joy Boy. Something that reveals the world before the 900 years, something about the old century. Maybe the map of the world how it looked like before. It must be something that gives Luffy the ultimate motivation to go after the world government, something which will be even more important to him as being the King of Pirates.

And the big question for me is: Why couldnt roger go that way. Why didnt roger did all this, he was extremely powerfull and his knowledge about everything was there, also i think he was a bit more reasonable then Luffy is now. Also i refuse to believe it is just because of the ancient weapons.

Maybe the answer is, Roger knew he has not enough people around him. The pirate era was smaller, way less people. He was the one who inspired a new generation and he did it to create passively an army, able to conquer the government. Maybe.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Background
  • Both Luffy and Roger wanted to be something which oda didn't reveal.
  • More than 20 years ago, Roger after becoming PK failed to accomplish something. I am under this belief that Roger knew that he isn't the man to achieve a task after becoming PK.

The present world
One piece world is divided - in space, in time and across races.

• The OP world is divided in four regions separated by Grandline and Red line
  • Discrimination also exist when it comes to islands on land and sky islands. Many don't even know that sky islands even exist evident from Bellamy denying their existence

There is no continuity between the past and the present.

The world government has erased information about void century to such extent very few are aware of the ancient kingdom and the void century.

We have seen ample evidences of racial discrimination -
  • Treatment given to fishmen
  • existence of slavery
  • class discrimination with celestials dragons having status of Gods
  • Discrimination even existed among inhabitants of skypiea island

These inequalities reflect that there is no oneness in one piece. But this sense of oneness find expression in SHs dreams

• Sanji wants to find ALL Blue
  • Nami wants to draw map of whole world

• Luffy has inherited Will of D and is the man who is carrying legacy of generations over his shoulders
  • Luffy also has Voice of All things.
  • Similarly zoro has connection with wano and inherited legacy of Ryuma
  • Robin wants to know true history. Interestingly, she said once that one has to carry information spread across poneglyphs to raftel to understand true history. That's oneness of information.

There is no direct reference to any Shs having such dreams but SHs have pursued the case many times through their acts
  • Their acts in skypiea United the races over there.
  • They ended exploitation in Dressrosa
  • They raised voices at sabody against inhumane aution
You guys remember what Mihawk said about Luffy at MF? He has power to bring everyone together.

Also, promise of joyboy in his letter to mermaid princess will be fulfilled by Luffy.

How all of these connect to "One piece"?

For this we have to see the Japanese meaning of "one piece".

For the term “One Piece” what we come across most often is, ワンピース which is literally wan pīsu.

At Marineford, Whitebeard said one piece does exist - “hito-tsunagi daihiho” (ひとつなぎの大秘宝), which means “the great treasure in one piece”.

However, there are two more viable reading which would include Kanji with the hiragana “hito-tsunagi“ (ひとつなぎ), which means - “the one that connects them all.”

And, another one which means "One sea at peace"

Thus three important meaning to the terms are
  • The greatest treasure in one piece
  • One sea at peace
  • The one that connects them all

Inference
From everything above we can draw an inference that one piece means bringing everything together into one common fold - One World - A true Globalised world.

It would be a world of all races being together with freedom and equality and with continuity in both temporal (past and the present ang future) and spacial context ( one sea)

Oda in an interview said that one piece is a physical reward.

Whitebeard in Marineford said "One piece is real"

Yes, it's a physical reward because it would usher " A true One World"

It's real because Luffy carrying the legacy of generations would be the architect of that world. It's real because this One World exsited in the past - at the time of Ancient Kingdom.

After becoming PK, he will learn the true history and would challenge the world government to usher One World in entirety.

It's this task which Roger failed at.

Luffy won't be just pirate king or king of the world but would actually be the creator of that One World linking/uniting everything ( races, space, past, present and even future) into "One piece"

Thank you for reading
Great read, Reborn.

this also explains why Ace, Sabo, Newgate laughed at whatever Luffy and Roger said. It’s one thing to conquer one side of the world, or be acknowledged worldwide, but bringing the world together is ludicrous from a logistical and psychologically level.

but we’ve seen since he started his journey, whatever place Luffy visited ended up for the better afterwards. And Shyarly’s prophecy of destroying Fishman Island was cleverly masked as a bad omen, but we know that Fishman Island was what has separated the merfolk from the surface world. So however Luffy does it, destroying Fishman Island is a symbol of shattering the barrier between the two races. Those from the sea and those from land.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
I like the thoughts Reborn and i share them mostly. The true goal will be a united world, the all sea and a freedom between all races and people.

I just disagree in one point, your idea of the physical form of the one piece. I dont think "one world" is meant by it, i think it is something else, maybe some kind of map, or something like a diary of Joy Boy. Something that reveals the world before the 900 years, something about the old century. Maybe the map of the world how it looked like before. It must be something that gives Luffy the ultimate motivation to go after the world government, something which will be even more important to him as being the King of Pirates.

And the big question for me is: Why couldnt roger go that way. Why didnt roger did all this, he was extremely powerfull and his knowledge about everything was there, also i think he was a bit more reasonable then Luffy is now. Also i refuse to believe it is just because of the ancient weapons.

Maybe the answer is, Roger knew he has not enough people around him. The pirate era was smaller, way less people. He was the one who inspired a new generation and he did it to create passively an army, able to conquer the government. Maybe.
I can agree with one piece being something that gives some motivation but as oda said its a physical reward and being a map sounds underwhelming... don't you think?

Great read, Reborn.

this also explains why Ace, Sabo, Newgate laughed at whatever Luffy and Roger said. It’s one thing to conquer one side of the world, or be acknowledged worldwide, but bringing the world together is ludicrous from a logistical and psychologically level.

but we’ve seen since he started his journey, whatever place Luffy visited ended up for the better afterwards. And Shyarly’s prophecy of destroying Fishman Island was cleverly masked as a bad omen, but we know that Fishman Island was what has separated the merfolk from the surface world. So however Luffy does it, destroying Fishman Island is a symbol of shattering the barrier between the two races. Those from the sea and those from land.
Thanks Kiri✌️

Luffy was completely oblivious about the outsight world before he set sail.
his goals were and always will be very basic. seeking friends. becoming free. finding a treasure etc. nothing altruistic or some such.
anything else he accomplishes besides PK will be inadvertedly and not deliberately.