Chapter Discussion Inconsistency with garling scarring Whitebeard

During the flashback with roger, whitebeard has no scars, so him getting scarred by garling in valley can't happen unless oda retcons it

Why would garling fight wb and wouldn't his crew know about this, since wb stays with his crew?
WB never said he got those scars from God Valley or from fighting Roger

Garling probably fought WB again 24-10 years ago

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
This fandom has a weird obsession with inserting their headcannon into the story and expecting Oda to follow through with it lol

Also, this is the last time we see prime WB and the sake cup is blocking his chest scars

He got them after God Valley and Roger is still the likely candidate that gave them to him
I discussed this already.

Even tho fans can go over the top sometimes it's better if WB stuff is retconned and Oda connects it to Figarland.

It makes no sense for WB to say it in such a manner as if he had resentment towards Shanks for this.

There is no reason for scar to ache since WB loved Roger in a way.

Even tho fans can go over the top sometimes it's better if WB stuff is retconned and Oda connects it to Figarland.

It makes no sense for WB to say it in such a manner as if he had resentment towards Shanks for this.

The thing is that Roger has ALWAYS been presented as WB’s only true rival. Yet it was someone else that gave him his scars that we never heard about?

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Didn't he say something like having the final part of one piece planned?
Bro this old man says a lot of things.

First and foremost. One Piece was meant to last 5 years, this is how long Oda has planned the story to be. Everything after that is stretching for $ purposes because he was pressured by Shueisha to become their golden egg.

He recently said that newcomers don't have to read previous 1000 chapters because they will be irrelevant since he will adapt the story meaning he will retcon the living fuck out of some things.

I'm pretty sure yellow data book mentions that the scar was made by Roger , tho idk if that changed since it's an old databook .

"The Pirate King's Opponent
Whitebeard has fought with many pirates during his life long journey as a pirate. Among his opponents, the most famous will be the Pirate King, Gol. D. Roger!
Picture with 3 peeps
Whitebeard: Having fought many battles with Roger's pirate crew, I remember some of the people with special characteristics. That interesting guy with a red nose who was with you, is he still alive?
Caption: An old friend of Shanks when the latter was still a trainee onboard Roger's ship. In this cruel world, not many can survive.
Picture at the bottom
Whitebeard: When I see your face, the wound which that bastard gave me is starting to hurt.
Caption: The wounds left on Whitebeard's body are the evidence of his battles with Roger, they are unforgettable memories..."

You make a good point with the scar aching thing since Oda uses that to link characters that have a level of animosity towards each other.

WB had one scar here that he likely got from Roger, but the ones after that it's possible that he got them from Garling in some offscreen event that might be addressed, who knows.

It's just weird that something this significant has no foreshadowing at all — if it's true. I guess that's what happens when you keep adding new ideas without remembering older events

Can someone explain this to me like I’m a baby? Where does this idea of Garling scarring Whitebeard come from?
Basically when Shanks went to meet WB he said the scar he got from "that guy" aches when he looks at Shanks' face

Everyone assumed it was Roger because it was the obvious choice, since Roger was his rival and that Shanks was Roger's apprentice. Now that Garling has been introduced some people think he scarred WB instead, since he's a relative of Shanks' and that it makes more sense; scars in One Piece link characters and have animosity embedded in them so WB and Roger's friendly rivalry doesn't add up and Garling is the better option. The real question is when they actually fought.

That's pretty much it :kayneshrug:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
yeah I don't think oda plan stuff like this out
He will retcon. He said it himself lmfao. Don't be bothered by this tbh.

Can someone explain this to me like I’m a baby? Where does this idea of Garling scarring Whitebeard come from?
We are in for a lot of retcons, right? Even Oda said it himself.

Whitebeard said that his scar aches whenever he sees Shanks.

This is just a theory not something confirmed so don't feel offended by it.

Why would Whitebeard's scar start to ache when he sees Shanks? Whitebeard loved Roger like everyone did.

Usually, something such as scar aching comes from animosity towards someone like @JayKitetsu said.

Oda definitely didn't plan this then and there but he will definitely try to use it.