General & Others Is Shanks really the strongest Yonko and character in One Piece or has he been overhyped?

Is Shanks the strongest Yonko and character in One Piece?

• Yes he is

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • No he is overhyped

Votes: 79 79.8%

• Total voters
He's not overhyped, but nor is he the Strongest individual character. Kaido is the strongest on the surface of known characters, while Blackbeard is clearly being geared up to be revealed as even stronger than Kaido by EoS.

A fight between Shanks and Kaido is going to the extreme, no matter how you slice it. So if Luffy manages to take down Kaido with some outside aid, and then extreme diff's Shanks down the road via one on one, then it should give Luffy that definitive MC level up to put him above both Shanks and Kaido afterwards.

Then what did he say?
Ace: "Which means there's no place in the new world for a rookie like me to cut in", Thatch: "Right...though, Red Hair did climb up from there and became an Emperor

and

-From WB's perpective beating a Shishibukai can increase your reputation as much as beating an emperor
(Rivaille's note: to be clear, WB said that if Ace wants fame he should just accept the WG's offer or that he should settle for a Warlord's head instead of coming for him he then said : "Why is he so keen on taking my head. If he's hunting the Four Emperors then Red Hair's head should be fine too. Could it be, that he thinks i'm easier to deal with because i'm old?)

Here WB rejects what he thinks Ace is thinking, namely that WB is the easiest to take out since he is oldest. He contrasts this with Shanks, the youngest Yonko., who he says is also a perfectly acceptable target.

Ace: "Which means there's no place in the new world for a rookie like me to cut in", Thatch: "Right...though, Red Hair did climb up from there and became an Emperor

and

-From WB's perpective beating a Shishibukai can increase your reputation as much as beating an emperor
(Rivaille's note: to be clear, WB said that if Ace wants fame he should just accept the WG's offer or that he should settle for a Warlord's head instead of coming for him he then said : "Why is he so keen on taking my head. If he's hunting the Four Emperors then Red Hair's head should be fine too. Could it be, that he thinks i'm easier to deal with because i'm old?)

Here WB rejects what he thinks Ace is thinking, namely that WB is the easiest to take out since he is oldest. He contrasts this with Shanks, the youngest Yonko., who he says is also a perfectly acceptable target.
while I'm grateful to @Rivaille

his translation about Shanks and personal notes .... create too much baseless nonsense .... like he was weakest Yonko or his CoC was weak or he owe something to Mihawk for fighting him and the REASON for his fame is that

surely he didn't do that to attack Shanks

but almost any information about Shanks in the Ace novel was badly translated

and

Doesn't that sort of imply Shanks is the weakest?
Coz WB asked why Ace didnt go for Shanks first if what Ace wanted was the head of a yonko

Coz WB asked why Ace didnt go for Shanks first if what Ace wanted was the head of a yonko
no it imply Prime Beard was strongest

and btw Shanks is the man who saved Luffy's life ... Ace would never dare to fight him

he spend so much time learning how to thanks Shanks when he was younger

p.s
not to mention this is 4 years ago ... Shanks very well could be weakest Yonko back then , why not .... Shanks was only a Yonko for 2 years back then

and this is assuming they even imply that ... which they didn't

No one said Shanks was the strongest, except for one dude. Was it really necessary to make a thread that shits on Shanks?
Outside of worst gen, where Zoro and Mihawk fans are abundant, Shanks is overwhelmingly considered the strongest above even Mihawk and Kaido.

Reddit which has a much more diverse fans have polls that go into the hundreds and most put Shanks above almost every Yono besides WB. He simply has more fans than any other fan base.

Like here with Mihawk fans

But its all just a popularity contest in the end

while I'm grateful to @Rivaille

his translation about Shanks and personal notes .... create too much baseless nonsense .... like he was weakest Yonko or his CoC was weak or he owe something to Mihawk for fighting him and the REASON for his fame is that

surely he didn't do that to attack Shanks

but almost any information about Shanks in the Ace novel was badly translated
Well it would be nice to get a proper translation.
Na I don't think so. If you follow his line of reasoning he is wondering why Ace wants his head. He thinks Shanks' head is fine too but takes offense that Ace is presumably making an age based judgement. Besides Shanks already proved he was on par with WB in their clash and when he skirmished with Kaido.

Outside of worst gen, where Zoro and Mihawk fans are abundant, Shanks is overwhelmingly considered the strongest above even Mihawk and Kaido.

Reddit which has a much more diverse fans have polls that go into the hundreds and most put Shanks above almost every Yono besides WB. He simply has more fans than any other fan base.

Like here with Mihawk fans

But its all just a popularity contest in the end
well , in fact even in WG where Zoro and Mihawk fans are abundant

Shanks won his poll Vs Mihawk in a big poll a month ago

it's not about popularity , it's about hype

F

Fallen Prince

So far i dont think he is overrated in general but i think fans do overhype him a lot.

I dont think shanks was as strong as whitebeard but could certainly push kaido and big mom to limits .

I think this forum pitts to much about mihawk vs shanks like comeon they fought back when he was growing up as a pirate. Shanks probably surpassed mihawk long back , i am not sure why people tag mihawk is yonko level fighter .

Well it would be nice to get a proper translation.

Na I don't think so. If you follow his line of reasoning he is wondering why Ace wants his head. He thinks Shanks' head is fine too but takes offense that Ace is presumably making an age based judgement. Besides Shanks already proved he was on par with WB in their clash and when he skirmished with Kaido.
Allright cool, I guess there are different ways to interpret it .
I can see him stronger than Kaido but not WB

no it imply Prime Beard was strongest

and btw Shanks is the man who saved Luffy's life ... Ace would never dare to fight him

he spend so much time learning how to thanks Shanks when he was younger

p.s
not to mention this is 4 years ago ... Shanks very well could be weakest Yonko back then , why not .... Shanks was only a Yonko for 2 years back then

and this is assuming they even imply that ... which they didn't
It doesnt imply wb was the strongest, wb was just thinking that ace may be underestimating him, that doesnt imply anything.
Post automatically merged:

Fear, yes. Portrayal, maybe. But when it comes to hype, almost no one is above him except for Imu maybe. There is a reason why people say he is overhyped. :endthis:
tbh, kaido is more hyped thank shanks atm.