Current Events Is Wano One of, if Not the Worst One Piece Arc?

Is Wano one of the worst One Piece arcs?

• Total voters
By no means one of the worst, but a let down given the weight and hype this arc got with all the set up since Punk Hazard or editor's notes, japanese events about Wano while WCI still had like 20 chapters to go and whatever else I might forget.
I enjoyed most part of the arc and it's a 7 or 8 for now, but way too much stuff going on forever and offscreen hurt it a lot.

No, that isn't how it works there buddy. The fanboy said, "be patient" which should generate a response based off stats because you can easily measure "patience". We replied back saying it's three years and 107+ chapters. That is what is called providing evidence based off a fanboy comment that has no substance. The fanboy choice to ignore the stats therefore the "brainwashed fanboy" since not even stats can convince him. And here yall are yelling "Oda apologist" because we use statistics to prove yall wrong LMFAO. Don't @ me again with such a stupid comment.
The thread is asking if they think Wano is the worst/one of the worst arcs.
"Be patient" is a reasonable response to said question. It just means they don't want to give their definitive answer before the arc finishes all of it's plot points. It doesn't matter if lasts 200 chapters (though excessive lenght is also a perfectly reasonable criticism), you can't get the full picture until then.

The thread is asking if they think Wano is the worst/one of the worst arcs.
"Be patient" is a reasonable response to said question. It just means they don't want to give their definitive answer before the arc finishes all of it's plot points. It doesn't matter if lasts 200 chapters (though excessive lenght is also a perfectly reasonable criticism), you can't get the full picture until then.
Dude don't @ me again. I literally laid out in detail why the "be patient" response is a stupid comment. Also, last time I checked over 107+ chapters is plenty of chapters to decide if you like an arc or not. You don't need an arc to finish to evaluate it.
Post automatically merged:

I sometimes wonder why certain user here even bother with One Piece when it's clear that they dislike a lot of it's common tropes and themes

Like people here complain about shit that existed since Chapter 1
Yea because 100+ chapter arcs and over two year arcs has always existed since chapter 1. Lmfao yall fanboy arguments are so easily refutable. Three of the longest arcs happened in the past 8 years. This issues we are calling out was never this prevalent since the beginning of One Piece or we would have never read over a 1000+ chapters. Use your common sense there buddy, because you are lacking in it.

I don't understand why so many people hate it, I thought it was really exciting
It decidedly is.

- Superlative landscapes
- Historical accuracy
- Amazing flavors of side characters
- Superlative outfits for the SHs
- Political solidity
- Spicy side characters in particular
- Zoro hype
- Other characters hype
- Possible new members to tag along with the crew
- A big ass war that doesn't look that inconsistent and is showing off some epicness, the rooftop fight in primis

I genuinely try to put myself in your shoes and try to see the good in Wano but I can't. I seriously don't understand how anyone can like this arc. It's 105+ chapters of people being knocked down, to getting back up as if nothing happened, only for them to get knocked down yet again. Or people just running around doing absolutely nothing like what was the point of Momo and Yamato running around doing absolutely nothing for 10+ chapters, and then finally Yamato separates from Momo which she goes up to the roof to face Kaido but Kaido went downstairs so she had to go back down again. Like how can that be 7/10 writing? Oda isn't even doing the most simple of proof reading of his own work.
I just use all the stuff going on inbetween the Acts in Wano and the fact that One Piece overall is still my favourite series to elevate the score a bit. If I were being honest with myself, Wano taken in isolation from the rest of the series would be a generous 5/10.

I'll still keep on preaching that Wano is just a slump period for One Piece, basically its Great Depression. Things will be better once it ends so just focus on all the much more interesting stuff that is to come when it's all over.

You guys do make it very tempting to give in to the negativity though...
:josad::catcry::pepemy:
Post automatically merged:

I would not even mind a 100+ chapter arc if there was a shit load of interesting and exciting things happening.

The problem is, there isn't.

Kingdom had an unprecedented 150+ chapter in the Western Zhao Invasion Arc. I do not think Kingdom even has another 100+ chapter arc.

Like Wano, that arc was an arc that was a pivotal moment for the series. Despite the size of the arc, there were rarely any complaints amongst the Kingdom community about it's length.

Why? Simple, the pacing was good and there was loads of awesome shit happening.

Every week, there was something good happening in a chapter whether it be a major or minor character moment, a fight, a reveal, a tactic, a death, there was always something and there were no wasted chapters or characters. Every week, someone did something interesting.

Wano meanwhile? The sheer amount of wasted chapters and unnecessary/bad characters is just mind boggling.

Wano Arc had a decade of build up in advance. Shit could have started quickly.

Arrive in Wano, go to Oden castle, meet Kinemon, get sad Oden backstory, meet other Straw Hats who achieved shit off screen (Zoro rounding up Samurai anyone) and start war.

See how fucking simple that was? Lel.

Instead, Oda has an entire introduction filled with worthless characters like Kiku, Tama, Otoku, Holdem, Urashima that either add nothing or add stupid crap to the story (special mention to Tama the bipedal fodder control plot device).

Or how about we get introduced to a boatload of butt ugly designs for fodder that are completely irrelevant instead of fleshing important characters out like, I don't know, all of the Beast Pirate's most important members?

Even worse is that we have numerous extra characters that add so little but detract from others simply by existing. Like why do we need 9 Scabbards? Four could be removed comfortably and little to nothing actually changes.

One mink Duke (Neko or Inu).
One traitor character (Kanjuro or rewrite a different character).
One Scabbard left behind 20 years ago (Denjiro or Ashura).
One bodyguard sent to future with Momo (Kinemon).

Instead of 9 side characters, we now only have four.

See how simple that was? Lel.

A major rule of writing, if you find yourself actively searching for something for a character to do then that character either needs to never be introduced or needs to be written out of the story.

Also, for all the people that say "Oh but it's weekly, it should be binged read".

I) One Piece is a weekly publication. If it regularly fails to be entertaining on a weekly basis then it's not doing it's job properly.

I have read a weekly 150+ arc chapter on a weekly basis that was entertaining each week. It does not and should not need to be binge read in order to be entertaining otherwise Oda should pull a Record of Ragnarok and publish on a monthly basis if it's really that big of a damn deal.

II) Contrary to popular belief, binge reading shit does not make shit any better at anything and that includes pacing.

I binge read all of Bleach and that series still ranks at my number one spot for most horrificly paced manga that I have ever read. Binge reading did not improve the dog shit pacing.
You described the issue with this arc perfectly.

I never would have believed it if someone told me 2 years ago that I would reach a point where I am more entertained by new Kingdom chapters or even My Hero Academia chapters than One Piece ones.

Last edited:
:laughmoji:
"If you don't agree with me you're a fanboy and an Oda apologist!"
You dont have to agree, but you dont have to pretend as well that everything is fine. While it is obvious that there are many things that are wrong with this arc.
But, we are not here to convince others that Wano's pacing is shit, if you like it, you like it. No one is saying to drop OP, we are just like sad fans, who just want more from our favorite manga :josad:

I hope the conclusion of this arc make this a better arc because so far fake tension all over the place.
- Fake deaths (only fake death that we dont complain about is Hiyori's, lol)

- Fake hype (Hyping up kyoshiro, him slicing the ships like Mihawk hyped him up more, but we have seen nothing from him after that)

- Yamato and Oden drama

- You can count King's panels on fingers

- BigMeme pirates

- Scabbards getting healed by a mysterious person, that shadow is yet to be revealed.

- BigMeme using stronger attacks against Page1 and Ulti, but avoiding to use those attacks against SuperNovas

- Introducing Izo, and him using just normal bullets

- Kiku's drama

- The whole plot of getting Samurais from prison and tattoo thing.

- Urashima and Holdem plot

- Ashura Douji fighting scabbards

I would not even mind a 100+ chapter arc if there was a shit load of interesting and exciting things happening.

The problem is, there isn't.

Kingdom had an unprecedented 150+ chapter in the Western Zhao Invasion Arc. I do not think Kingdom even has another 100+ chapter arc.

Like Wano, that arc was an arc that was a pivotal moment for the series. Despite the size of the arc, there were rarely any complaints amongst the Kingdom community about it's length.

Why? Simple, the pacing was good and there was loads of awesome shit happening.

Every week, there was something good happening in a chapter whether it be a major or minor character moment, a fight, a reveal, a tactic, a death, there was always something and there were no wasted chapters or characters. Every week, someone did something interesting.

Wano meanwhile? The sheer amount of wasted chapters and unnecessary/bad characters is just mind boggling.

Wano Arc had a decade of build up in advance. Shit could have started quickly.

Arrive in Wano, go to Oden castle, meet Kinemon, get sad Oden backstory, meet other Straw Hats who achieved shit off screen (Zoro rounding up Samurai anyone) and start war.

See how fucking simple that was? Lel.

Instead, Oda has an entire introduction filled with worthless characters like Kiku, Tama, Otoku, Holdem, Urashima that either add nothing or add stupid crap to the story (special mention to Tama the bipedal fodder control plot device).

Or how about we get introduced to a boatload of butt ugly designs for fodder that are completely irrelevant instead of fleshing important characters out like, I don't know, all of the Beast Pirate's most important members?

Even worse is that we have numerous extra characters that add so little but detract from others simply by existing. Like why do we need 9 Scabbards? Four could be removed comfortably and little to nothing actually changes.

One mink Duke (Neko or Inu).
One traitor character (Kanjuro or rewrite a different character).
One Scabbard left behind 20 years ago (Denjiro or Ashura).
One bodyguard sent to future with Momo (Kinemon).

Instead of 9 side characters, we now only have four.

See how simple that was? Lel.

A major rule of writing, if you find yourself actively searching for something for a character to do then that character either needs to never be introduced or needs to be written out of the story.

Also, for all the people that say "Oh but it's weekly, it should be binged read".

I) One Piece is a weekly publication. If it regularly fails to be entertaining on a weekly basis then it's not doing it's job properly.

I have read a weekly 150+ arc chapter on a weekly basis that was entertaining each week. It does not and should not need to be binge read in order to be entertaining otherwise Oda should pull a Record of Ragnarok and publish on a monthly basis if it's really that big of a damn deal.

II) Contrary to popular belief, binge reading shit does not make shit any better at anything and that includes pacing.

I binge read all of Bleach and that series still ranks at my number one spot for most horrificly paced manga that I have ever read. Binge reading did not improve the dog shit pacing.
This dude spitting. Pay attention folks.

I am assuming most of the people criticizing wano are weakly readers from the start.........this is my second arc reading weakly and wano has ups and downs....start of act one was slow and bit boring........end of it good......middle part of act two after 924-925 till 940 is boring for most part......again it becomes good afterwards and so on..........I will judge wano once I read it in continuity..........reading one piece weekly for yourself is boring......social media and forums makes it interesting.........most of other manga are more fun reading weekly........

That being said pre skip one piece > post skip for most part..............

Last edited:
No, its not the best arc, but its good👍, think the main problem for me is the number of characters since Dressrosa, have become to big and the SH dont have much space to shine.

A lot of the readers that catch up in the last years seems to have a hard time with the manga, probably because OP follow a old generation style of writing, much more like DBZ, Naruto and HxH, that dont match very well with the expectations that the new generation have based on those new style of "spoky shonen" that have become very big in the last years.

But isnt like people didnt have the same complains about Thriller Bark, Amazon Lilly, Luffy FB, FI, PH, Dressrosa and WCI, Oda always writed side plots, characters that dont have that much place in the main story and a lot of cartoonish things that dont follow the logic of powerscale or of those spoky shonen mangas, the thing is people dont remember much of it because they readed everything in the volume version, where those parts become less of a thing, but in weekly reading, and with foruns to spend hours making headcanons for each chapter, people see everything as the worst of all times, for a week at least ahahah.

Expectations is a shit, and when they are hurt it can ruin any experience, and u can see it by how emotional some guys get in the thread by quoting every post of someone that liked the arc and crying because they cant accept someone liked a thing that hurt their feelings.

It's been said multiple times in this thread but the lack of focus on the Straw Hats is annoying AF. I feel like I don't know them anymore. They've been reduced to gag moments and have had zero character development in favor of ridiculous fodder characters that no one cares about. Oda is trying to do too much, just focus and be potent in your storytelling. This is the back half of OP there's no reason to stray off when you already have so much of a foreshadowed story established already to tell. Pre-TS was incredible compared to post-TS, it's not even close.

I thought this arc would be on the level of Enies Lobby or Alabasta. Big Mom, Scabbards, Tama, Smile users, Orochi, Fukirokuju, the ninjas, Udon. It was all trash.

The character designs are also shit and there's no focus. The overall character designs have never been this bad on a large scale in one arc.

My expectations going into the arc:

-Focus on Zoro's development as a swordsman and backstory with Mihawk
-Nico Robin and her discovery and new learned knowledge of the Wano Poneglyphs
-A badass Shogun. Not Orochi, who is a shit character.
-A focus on just Kaido and the Calamities. Why is Big Mom here? For what?
-A combo of Sky Island's lore and history, with the epicness and large-scale feel that Enies Lobby, Marineford, and Alabasta had.
-Cool looking samurai and cool sword battles

My expectations are not being met in the least. Wano looks like a clown show compared to how epic it should have been. But hey what can you do? But the rooftop battle has been great, and if the upcoming fights are not all off-paneled then this arc can still turn around in Arc 4 and 5 so I'm not writing it off completely yet.

Wano has been a 6/10 for me so far mostly because of the rooftop stuff and most of the chaos of the raid.

Last edited:
It's been said multiple times in this thread but the lack of focus on the Straw Hats is annoying AF. I feel like I don't know them anymore. They've been reduced to gag moments and have had zero character development in favor of ridiculous fodder characters that no one cares about. Oda is trying to do too much, just focus and be potent in your storytelling. This is the back half of OP there's no reason to stray off when you already have so much of a foreshadowed story established already to tell. Pre-TS was incredible compared to post-TS, it's not even close.

I thought this arc would be on the level of Enies Lobby or Alabasta. Big Mom, Scabbards, Tama, Smile users, Orochi, Fukirokuju, the ninjas, Udon. It was all trash.

The character designs are also shit and there's no focus. The overall character designs have never been this bad on a large scale in one arc.

My expectations going into the arc:

-Focus on Zoro's development as a swordsman and backstory with Mihawk
-Nico Robin and her discovery and new learned knowledge of the Wano Poneglyphs
-A badass Shogun. Not Orochi, who is a shit character.
-A focus on just Kaido and the Calamities. Why is Big Mom here? For what?
-A combo of Sky Island's lore and history, with the epicness and large-scale feel that Enies Lobby, Marineford, and Alabasta had.
-Cool looking samurai and cool sword battles

My expectations are not being met in the least. Wano looks like a clown show compared to how epic it should have been. But hey what can you do? But the rooftop battle has been great, and if the upcoming fights are not all off-paneled then this arc can still turn around in Arc 4 and 5 so I'm not writing it off completely yet.

Wano has been a 6/10 for me so far mostly because of the rooftop stuff and most of the chaos of the raid.
Holy fuck was this hitting the nail. I didn’t even realize it. We barely know the strawhats anymore. Sanji is reduced to a gag. Robin speaks a line every 35 chapters. Whenever Nami panels are there, omfg do I not give a fuck about it. Usopp has had dwindling panel time since Dressrosa. Luffy is an entirely different character now.

And this arc we got SOOOOOOOO Much Oden wank. Since the moment Kinemon told the story of Oden, not stop silhouettes and wanking of this fuck tard of a character. Soooo much focus on Tama, Momo, Hyuogoro, and the Red Trashbags. Almost as if they were central to this arc and important. But Oda failed hard at making them likeable. They are all terrible and mind numbingly fucking boring

I definitely think that Wano was below average as an arc— especially Onigashima. It honestly started out all right, but it quickly fell off.

In defense of Oda though, Wano has got to be hard to write. We’ve been building up to this point for hundreds of chapters, and have more named, influential characters than at Marineford— and that’s not even counting the time necessary to explore Wano’s story and history.

I’m sure some of you have noticed, but since around WCI, the panels have gotten a lot more clustered than before because of the sheer amount of characters we’ve built up.

So there has to be sacrifices: less character development for the Tobi Roppo, less non-Luffy/Zoro screentime, off-screened fights and more.

I think the biggest issue of Wano is that Oda messed up what he funneled panel time into.
  • Instead of focus on strawhats and F6, we get focus on the scabbards, Oden and Tama instead
  • Actual fights were off-screened in favor of more skirmishes and chase scenes (e.g. Ulti/PayPay chase)
  • Non-Supernovas got shafted to put in more Big Mom scenes.
I honestly think Oda was just too ambitious in Wano (super plot-relevant, tons of lore, characters, supposedly more chaotic than Marineford)

He wanted to have the 1v1s of Enies Lobby, the chaos of Marineford, the worldbuilding of Dressrosa/Alabasta, and introduce as many characters as in Sabaody.

Sounds great on paper, but reality shows that Wano tried to be something but fell flat on its face.