Manga Discussion Kaiju No. 8

Who is your favorite character ?

• Total voters
Kaiju No. 8 (by Naoya Matsumoto) is the new kid on the block within the world of manga. :willsmith:

To sum it up briefly, it is a fun action comedy series with bad arse moments and plenty of gratuitous kaiju gore.

Just think of the humor and action of One Punch Man, combined with a protagonist that has a monster transformation ability like in Attack on Titan but is a middle aged Space Dandy style bad arse/goofball hybrid instead of a mentally scarred teenager with a personality so edgy that it can peel lemons.:smoothieduck:

Since any lovely new reader can read it faster than I can describe it, what with it being currently only 13 Chapters and all, here is a MangaSee link (with an actual plot synopsis) to help you find your potentially new favorite manga. :fransuper:

If any potential new reader is still unconvinced by my totally convincing low effort descriptions from above then here are some disgustingly epic manga panels (low plot spoiler but high hype spoiler) with which to wet your appetite. :steef:
Kaiju No. 8 dunks on all of those sassenach scrub punches. :myman:
:steef::steef::steef:
For those who already know about this cute little gem of a monster flaying manga, let us talk Kaiju for like a day before we all inevitably get sucked back into ceaselessly repeating One Piece power scaling/plot hole discussions. :zehaha:

Tags
@Admiral Lee Hung @Blackbeard @Light D Lamperouge @Jew D. Boy @RayanOO @Natalija @Jiihad @Shuyaku @Shanks @Marimo_420 @Beerbottle @Seth @Dragomir @ThisiswhereIgaveup@ingfolk

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
Aight, added it to my list when you told me about it last time. Will probably start reading tomorrow, and since it's only 13 chapters might just finish it tomorrow as well lmfao.

et us talk Kaiju for like a day before we all inevitably get sucked back into ceaselessly repeating One Piece power scaling/plot hole discussions. :zehaha:
So true lmao.

RayanOO

Lazy is the way
โ€Ž
That show needed a thread @Owl Ki :cheers:

I think only you Admiral and me are reading this

From now on its great and fun and I eat the chapter each week in no time. It is great for once to have an adult MC and not a teen.

But i think this will be a "short" show, I have my doubts that this story can reach more than 100 chapters.
Post automatically merged:

I've lost track of too many series by now but I shall add this to the list nonetheless. Thanks man
Watch legend of galactic heroes 10 first episodes first or you have no honor

Last edited:

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
OK. I've just read all the chapters. I must say I like it. It's intriguing and well laid out thus far. I like Kafka's kaiju form. The new recruits are all dope, and Mina is awesome. Kikoru is pretty nice too and Leno is cool. Thanks @Owl Ki

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž
But i think this will be a "short" show, I have my doubts that this story can reach more than 100 chapters.
Eh I wouldn't say so tbh. It has potential.

> I can imagine a few scenarios. People figure out Kafka and Mina is sent after him along with the recruits. However they need Kafka's help against an overpowered monster or something like that and in the end he and Mina fight together and they accept him for what he is.

> Kafka gets consumed by the beast entirely and becomes evil and they have to stop him, but Mina, Leno, Kikoru, maybe the others as well don't wanna kill him so they try to find a different solution.

> It's revealed why Kafka was chosen by that monster.

> One of the recruits, or even Leno or Mina get taken over by the monster and Kafka has to fight them but hold himself back, probably Mina and the monster is the strongest until Kafka overcomes it.

There are ideas imo. Especially since we are only on chapter 14 thus far and there's still a lot we can find out. Where are Kafka's relatives? How do the Kaiju exist? Why they appear more in Japan than any other country? And so on.

Last edited:
@Admiral Lee Hung @Jew D. Boy @RayanOO @Light D Lamperouge is it just me or is Kafka the exact opposite of a typical shonen protagonist in numerous ways?

A typical shonen protagonist is young, talented, leads the pack, never gives up on their dream etc. etc.

Kafka is middle aged, is practically talentless, lags behind the pack, has actually given up on his dream during his life etc.

Is there any rhyme or reason to this thought or am I losing my marbles?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
โ€Ž
@Admiral Lee Hung @Jew D. Boy @RayanOO @Light D Lamperouge is it just me or is Kafka the exact opposite of a typical shonen protagonist in numerous ways?

A typical shonen protagonist is young, talented, leads the pack, never gives up on their dream etc. etc.

Kafka is middle aged, is practically talentless, lags behind the pack, has actually given up on his dream during his life etc.

Heโ€™s definitely cut from a different cloth...the motivation to be the hero against the monsters is still there, but he seems a lot more realistic about his chances with AND without the Kaiju powers, perhaps a bit more frantic/stressed than the typical protagonist. Itโ€™s a refreshing take by any stretch, that heโ€™s not just painted as the Chosen One right off the bat :luuh:

You are absolutely correct, and this is what differentiates Kafka from almost every other Shonen Protagonist. That, and the fact that he is half Kaiju. Lol
Would this count as a trope deconstruction? I am not sure if that is the correct term. Lol. @Light D Lamperouge knows all about this kind of stuff if I recall correctly.

On a side note, is Ichikawa potentially a foil to Kafka in this regard since he is a quite a bit like a typical shonen protagonist?

Light D Lamperouge

โ€Ž

Everything that needs to be said has already been said by Major, JDB and you Owl.

Heโ€™s definitely cut from a different cloth...the motivation to be the hero against the monsters is still there, but he seems a lot more realistic about his chances with AND without the Kaiju powers, perhaps a bit more frantic/stressed than the typical protagonist. Itโ€™s a refreshing take by any stretch, that heโ€™s not just painted as the Chosen One right off the bat :luuh:
You are absolutely correct, and this is what differentiates Kafka from almost every other Shonen Protagonist. That, and the fact that he is half Kaiju. Lol
I agree with everything here. There's of course a bit of a shonen type, as in him being half Kaiju and Kaiju are the big bad guys so far.

Would this count as a trope deconstruction? I am not sure if that is the correct term. Lol. @Light D Lamperouge knows all about this kind of stuff if I recall correctly.
Not sure tbh.
I got this off of the Internet
"Deconstruction" literally means "to take something apart". When applied to tropes or other aspects of fiction, deconstruction means to take apart a trope in a way that exposes its inherent contradictions, often by exploring the difference between how the trope appears in this one work and how it compares to other relevant tropes or ideas both in fiction and Real Life.
Now I am not completely sure if this would count as deconstruction.
I view it as a bit of a different approach to the formula, akin to OPM. In OPM Saitama starts as the strongest being in his verse, usually where heroes end up by the end of their stories. He still has a dream, sort of, but he's now looking for an extremely difficult fight.

In Kaiju we have a different type of protagonist. He's also already one of the strongest monsters ever, according to the ratings iirc, but as you said, he's the exact opposite of a typical shonen protagonist.