Powers & Abilities Luffy's Gear 5th

knuckleheadninja

Homeroom Teacher

Looking at the enemies luffy is about to face in future( Kaido, Akainu, Blackbeard and World Government etc.) I don't think Gear 4 is powerful enough.
We have seen three form of Gear 4 so far Boundman, Tankman and Snakeman. He used all three to fight Yonko commander level characters.
There are much stronger characters out there that Luffy needs to fight.

Is Gear 5 needed in coming time?
What do you think Gear 5 will be based on?
Does luffy already know how to use it or he will learn sometime in future?
Will we see it in Wano?

I really liked these designs. He is somewhat looking like a Devil.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I dont think there will be Gear 5th, there simply is no need for it.
Boundman is the peak of punching power, it doesnt get better.
Haki is the key to enhancing that power and that's what he did.

Eventual development will come in the form of Awakening.
It will probably signify a combination of all gears so far into one.
Bloodflow doping, air bones, air muscles together, if that's possible.

Gear 4ths potential hasn't been fully explored with quick changes between Snakeman/ Tankman/ Boundman.
Boundman overwhelmed Katakuri physically when future sight impenetrable defense was temporarily neutralized, tankman one shot cracker. His biggest problem vs YC was stall tactics and that has been remedied with improved timelimit portrayal since learning Ryuo. His biggest problem vs Yonko was impenetrable defense, which he now has an answer to.

Now he has a method to get past the impenetrable defense with internal destruction haki there should be no need for a further power boost gear, unless Oda wants to nerf the boost it gives over his base for narrative reasons like he did with gear 2/3 after he came up with gear 4.

If there were to be a gear 5th it wouldn't be something like these pictures. That's just full body armament, the 2 times we saw people use FBA they were one shotted the moment they entered that mode.

Oda would be more creative with Luffy. One of the issue of G4 is the constant use of CoA and haki being finite it also make the mode with a time limit.

So he has to focus on his haki, it seems to be the case since so far he is basically spamming G4 with no backlash afterwards.

I think he doesn't want to use his adv CoA in offensive mode yet, probably keeping it for Kaido or maybe it's just Oda who wants to keep the surprise for the fight against Kaido.

I think probably the best thing is finding a way to use Gear 4 without taxing the Haki. I guess it might be awakening, getting bigger and stronger like Nightmare but only use Haki as needed

Last edited: