General Mafia General Chat

N

Noctis

Cap. Near wasn't smarter than Light. Near needed Mello's help and Mikami's mistake plus an asspull to identify Mikami on TV out nowhere as an accomplice to Kira. He never outsmarted Light.
They have equal intelligent stats while L was one lower to light. I think the main thing that makes Near dangerous is that he's equally or more cunning than light. Although yeah Mello helped out.

N

Noctis

I didn't like Light when he regained his memories. That was definitely when the series took a nosedive.
I kinda agree there. While the plot where Light regained his memories was good, it was also the downfall since after that L was a goner. Should have ended there without trying to go out of your to make light lose.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
They have equal intelligent stats while L was one lower to light. I think the main thing that makes Near dangerous is that he's equally or more cunning than light. Although yeah Mello helped out.
I don't really know how Near got a 9 in intelligence and L got an 8. To this day it makes no sense lmao. Legit what was said in the manga transpired. Near and Mello needed to work together to reach or surpass L, and that's what they did. Near being smarter than L makes no sense.

Edit: Equally as cunning as Light? Nah I disagree there.

N

Noctis

I don't know how Near got a 9 in intelligence and L got an 8. To this day it makes no sense lmao. Legit what was said in the manga transpired. Near and Mello needed to work together to reach or surpass L, and that's what they did. Near being smarter than L makes no sense.
I am fine with Near being more intelligent. The problem is the plot did a poor job in showing that lol.

Nothing changes that series was only great when Light and L was going on each other.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Nothing changes that series was only great when Light and L was going on each other.
Yeah I agree there. I think the first 25 episodes or 58 chapters are amazing, literally a masterpiece. It should have ended then and there. Either have Light win like he did over L and rule the world, or have L apprehend Light. Part 2 isn't bad per se, it's bad compared to part 1 of Death Note, but it's still better than like 80 percent of stuff out there.

N

Noctis

Yeah I agree there. I think the first 25 episodes or 58 chapters are amazing, literally a masterpiece. It should have ended then and there. Either have Light win like he did over L and rule the world, or have L apprehend Light. Part 2 isn't bad per se, it's bad compared to part 1 of Death Note, but it's still better than like 80 percent of stuff out there.
Death note biggest mistake was to choose Shounen as their genre. They hardly allow any bad guy to win or have dark open endings. They always want bad guys to lose lol.

That's why seinen genres are good for such series. At least this way series could have ended peacefully after light win.

Although part 2 is indeed better than everything Death note related outside of manga and anime.

Ratchet

The End and the Beginning
L lower than Light? That's insane. Light had the advantage of his method being supernatural, several obsessed fanatics, obscene levels of luck and Shinigami assisting him, and despite all that L still forced a checkmate. I rewatched Death Note earlier in the year with @QueenEmilia, and if one part of my perspective on the show had changed, it was that L was far more impressive than I used to give him credit for.

N

Noctis

L lower than Light? That's insane. The light had the advantage of his method being supernatural, several obsessed fanatics, obscene levels of luck and Shinigami assisting him, and despite all that L still forced a checkmate. I rewatched Death Note earlier in the year with @QueenEmilia, and if one part of my perspective on the show had changed, it was that L was far more impressive than I used to give him credit for.
I disagree. Light was creative and manipulative with his methods something L lacked. He easily manipulated Naomi into giving her real identity to him when she faked it in the first place, used ray panber into killing his own people, also his ultimate amnesia plan worked out perfectly despite being with L most of the time. Light regaining his memories plan was well thought out and probably surpass anything L did in the series.

Also Light neither had the name of L and he couldn't kill him either since if he did he will become the prime suspect so he used Rem. Also, Rem even said Light surpassed even Shinigami.

L had all the government power, money, connections at his disposal. Light had a cheat weapon but he couldn't use it unnoticed, he did not received any help from Ryuk either while was threatened by Rem if something happens to Misa.

S

Shelby

L is smarter than Light, I don't think L would have fallen for this in my opinion. And L's reply to Misa sounds like he was disappointed in Light.

Light is smarter than Near, I'm not sure how it's debatable when Near himself admitted he would have lost if it wasn't for Mello.

Ratchet

The End and the Beginning
I disagree. Light was creative and manipulative with his methods something L lacked.
L lacked creativity? L had deduced that a killer previously thought to be a worldwide-spanning murderer was is Japan, and specifically in the Kanto region, by Episode 2 due to his creativity. He then kept narrowing it further and further until he got to Light. L was a human with human limits that was playing in a game rigged against him from the start, yet he played it so well he virtually won anyway. You really should read the light novel "The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases" if you haven't already. Mello gives a pretty nuanced perspective on what L was competing against.
He easily manipulated Naomi into giving her real identity to him when she faked it in the first place
Light also lucked out several times during that sequence, such as happening to come across Naomi Misora by chance, Aizawa just missing her in the street, etc. Sure, he deserves credit for ultimately getting what he needed, but he wouldn't have gotten there without some ridiculous luck in the first place.
Light regaining his memories plan was well thought out and probably surpass anything L did in the series.
I strongly disagree. In terms of scale, maybe, but the only reason L didn't outright win was because he couldn't obtain evidence that would damn Light.
L had all the government power, money, connections at his disposal. Light had a cheat weapon but he couldn't use it unnoticed, he did not received any help from Ryuk either while was threatened by Rem if something happens to Misa.
Light pretty blatantly made the most of Rem's affection for Misa, and again, Light literally had a supernatural power at his disposal. L had human resources. The disparity between what the two had to work with was night and day, to say nothing of the fact that L was starting from far less information wise than Light was. And to say he didn't receive any help from Ryuk either is completely untrue - Ryuk wrote in fake rules that not only helped prove Light's innocence, but allowed him to prosper until Mello confirmed they were actually fake over half a decade later. Ryuk wasn't allied in the sense that he would clearly side with Light over L, but he certainly enabled Light, because to him, that meant greater entertainment.

N

Noctis

L lacked creativity? L had deduced that a killer previously thought to be a worldwide-spanning murderer was in Japan, and specifically in the Kanto region, by Episode 2 due to his creativity. He then kept narrowing it further and further until he got to Light. L was a human with human limits that was playing in a game rigged against him from the start, yet he played it so well he virtually won anyway. You really should read the light novel "The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases" if you haven't already. Mello gives a pretty nuanced perspective on what L was competing against.
Light also lucked out several times during that sequence, such as happening to come across Naomi Misora by chance, Aizawa just missing her in the street, etc. Sure, he deserves credit for ultimately getting what he needed, but he wouldn't have gotten there without some ridiculous luck in the first place.
I strongly disagree. In terms of scale, maybe, but the only reason L didn't outright win was that he couldn't obtain evidence that would damn Light.
Light pretty blatantly made the most of Rem's affection for Misa, and again, Light literally had a supernatural power at his disposal. L had human resources. The disparity between what the two had to work with was night and day, to say nothing of the fact that L was starting from far less information wise than Light was. And to say he didn't receive any help from Ryuk either is completely untrue - Ryuk wrote in fake rules that not only helped prove Light's innocence, but allowed him to prosper until Mello confirmed they were actually fake over half a decade later. Ryuk wasn't allied in the sense that he would side with Light over L, but he certainly enabled Light, because to him, that meant greater entertainment.
I won't break it in the quotes and focus to address it all in one go(lol)

L had a lot more experience than Light in being a detective and using deception. He was trained to be detective since he was kid. When the story started, Light was only doing light police work in helping his father, but not anywhere close to the world's great detective. For being new to the game in comparison to L, he did an outstanding job.

Due to his lack of experience, his reaction to Naomi fake identity was bad but he handled that flawlessly without losing his mind.

The reason L finds about the light so easily because, after the TV scene, Light narrowed L down to him. He wanted to get close to L to kill him and the best way to do that was to get L to suspect him.

Sure Light had luck but by the end, he always made these situations in his favour by his keen thinking. Not to mention, Misa only made things hard for Light who kept revealing sensitive information about the death note to the public. Misa forced Light to surrender himself and reveal the existence of the death note to a task force to save Misa since he was threatened by Rem.

He also understood Rem affection for Misa and used that to put Misa safety in danger so that the only way would be for Rem to save her by writing L's name on the death note. She admitted Light has surpassed Shinigami. See, Light was not only playing this cat and mouse game with L but he ends up outsmarting even the shinigami who had all the supernatural power at their disposal.

Also, Rem and Misa brought nothing but misfortune to Light without them he was going good.

If we are talking about luck then L actually had a lot of lucky instances as well.

L decided to use death row inmate as bait. He made a live broadcast with that criminal declaring his pursuit of Kira. Lights kill that fake L.

The plan was good, but the amount of Luck L had was also something else. If Light lived in another region of Japan, L's entire scheme would have failed miserably. The broadcast would have become public knowledge and Light avoided the bait, which may end up questioning police L ways of solving mysteries.

We also see them in a situation when Light doesn't have the death note. I would call it even ground. In Yotsuba, arc Light is either keeping up with L, is a step behind or surpass him that considering he doesn't have L experience and such yet doing this is pretty impressive.

L is creative, I meant L is not good at manipulating and acting his way out.

Anyway, L goal was not to find out Light is Kira, his goal was to prove it. L was never able to absolutely prove Light was Kira.

Put Light in L place with all the government resources, money etc and even he will be able to find out L is Kira. The game was always about finding out ways to take out each other.

Also after writing all this I realised. L vs Light debates can never end lol.

You really should read the light novel "The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases" if you haven't already.
I'll give a try. It sounds interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emil

Certified Memelord
L > light > near in terms of intelligence

like L literally had to start hunting light from absolute scratch and managed to pull it off. he outplayed light more often than not

near just did a clean up duty lol. hes not smarter than either L or light