General Mafia General Chat

Games really be casually reaching 400+ pages like nothing these days, damn. At this point 300 pages is the bare minimum for any medium-sized role madness game.

I remember the good ol' days when 100 pages was a luxury and 200 pages would have everyone doing tribal dances in celebration lmao.
cause onii ekko and flower each have 1000 post in these games cause they love hearing them selves talk haha

Ratchet

The End and the Beginning
Games really be casually reaching 400+ pages like nothing these days, damn. At this point 300 pages is the bare minimum for any medium-sized role madness game.

I remember the good ol' days when 100 pages was a luxury and 200 pages would have everyone doing tribal dances in celebration lmao.
It's really strange. Back on OJ, in the early days especially, the success line of a game was generally if it reached 1000 posts. These games also often lasted around a month. Obviously some games went for 2000+ but they were not all that common. Nowadays, if a game hasn't reached 1000 posts within a week it can be considered a flop, and often games reach 10,000 posts. It's a very different game to how I started, to be honest, in some ways for the better, in others for the worse. I think, aside from general activity, Mafia is a lot more appealing to a wider range of players here. Back then, as the whole Boys v Girls thing got me thinking about this, the gender divide had maybe between 1-3 girls for every 12 guys, if that. Now we could probably say roughly 40-50% of the playerbase are girls. Also, like Soul touched on earlier, we used to flame the fuck out of each other in games. Not so much between Soul and myself, though we've certainly had our moments, and OJ was generally always on the nicer end, but it was really quite normal to be aggressive to one another. All this now is for the better, of course.

In terms of worse, I think some of the logic and reasoning in the game has been lost. This isn't so much a general thing, but for instance I think I'm a worse player now than I was back then, because with the pace of games there is just less time to sit down and properly case someone or go wallie to wallie with them. I've been trying to lean more back into that style but it's difficult. This isn't to suggest something silly like "the quality has gone down!", but the speed and volume of the games makes it difficult to play it the same way. To speak for myself, as a player I never used to have to lean on gut feelings or reading the language of posts, and I used to adopt a playstyle that allowed me to hide my tone because I couldn't fake it well. So playing more in this last year, I've had to strengthen or use those aspects of Mafia far more than typical, and it's been pretty useful, especially in regards to faking tone. It's an interesting challenge, anyhow.

It's really strange. Back on OJ, in the early days especially, the success line of a game was generally if it reached 1000 posts. These games also often lasted around a month. Obviously some games went for 2000+ but they were not all that common. Nowadays, if a game hasn't reached 1000 posts within a week it can be considered a flop, and often games reach 10,000 posts. It's a very different game to how I started, to be honest, in some ways for the better, in others for the worse. I think, aside from general activity, Mafia is a lot more appealing to a wider range of players here. Back then, as the whole Boys v Girls thing got me thinking about this, the gender divide had maybe between 1-3 girls for every 12 guys, if that. Now we could probably say roughly 40-50% of the playerbase are girls. Also, like Soul touched on earlier, we used to flame the fuck out of each other in games. Not so much between Soul and myself, though we've certainly had our moments, and OJ was generally always on the nicer end, but it was really quite normal to be aggressive to one another. All this now is for the better, of course.

In terms of worse, I think some of the logic and reasoning in the game has been lost. This isn't so much a general thing, but for instance I think I'm a worse player now than I was back then, because with the pace of games there is just less time to sit down and properly case someone or go wallie to wallie with them. I've been trying to lean more back into that style but it's difficult. This isn't to suggest something silly like "the quality has gone down!", but the speed and volume of the games makes it difficult to play it the same way. To speak for myself, as a player I never used to have to lean on gut feelings or reading the language of posts, and I used to adopt a playstyle that allowed me to hide my tone because I couldn't fake it well. So playing more in this last year, I've had to strengthen or use those aspects of Mafia far more than typical, and it's been pretty useful, especially in regards to faking tone. It's an interesting challenge, anyhow.

I support @Ekkologix 's idea to entertain a typology of games that would force the players to a limited amount of posts per cycle. That would undoubtedly improve the quality and size of the average post in a game and the fluff and the spam would all be stifled consistently, whereas the raw mechanics of Mafia, the more invasive this restriction was, the more would dominate.

this generation of mafia players is so soft nowadays.
they're missing out on all the memes, reminds me of how SinRaven on nf used to be called SinRage lmfao. iirc i saw him get mad like twice which was freakin entertaining, think i was mafia in one of the games where he had an argument (as town vs town) with Marco or smth, good times

Ekko vs Flower during weebs was also p funny in one of those discord chats lol, following live drama is so fun

think ppl on nf can take flaming better than over here tho, but might be also cause they're older and dont really care

No post restrictions, not everything needs to be an analyzed essay to be considered a "quality" post.
Rather the average would improve if a limitation was set. Sometimes amazing posts even if not essays get lost in the one liners spam and that is a pity. The average post size would improve considering the actual average size is maybe 2 liners? I dunno. It doesn't look amazing however.

Ratchet

I support @Ekkologix 's idea to entertain a typology of games that would force the players to a limited amount of posts per cycle. That would undoubtedly improve the quality and size of the average post in a game and the fluff and the spam would all be stifled consistently, whereas the raw mechanics of Mafia, the more invasive this restriction was, the more would dominate.
It's more damaging though. Imagine getting into a good debate and then having to stop because the other player is almost at post cap. Nonsense.

NF Mafia took it better here because the people who gathered the community were a bunch of dilenquents lol. Yes I was also part of that group, but the community was young and was during a early stages of the modern net where people were being edgelords. It just was part of the culture, not to say we didn't mature, we obviously did but troll games or bastard games got real popular thanks to laix and myself. Based off what I've seen here, this place was much stricter on some things before loosening up a bit so peeps were always super competitive with one another. It isn't bad but I think of this site had a laix or a Aries years ago, it would have mellowed peeps out a bit to not take things so seriously

Zemmi

GodMommie

In my opinion, females always made the best players.

I will take my leave now :kayneshrug:

On a serious note. On OJ it was transforming more to the current style here. I do remember how it use to be well written thought out posts which I protested against xD It then turned into something more casual; maybe not this casual but on its way.

I recall seeing posts by you, Dante, and Rot which I was impressed by and terrified by at the same time. There was the game when I first started playing that I didn't play but followed that made me not want to play. The one where everyone could kill and I believe there ended up being only one mafia member. I know @Underworld Broker played it because she had asked me to but I was scared of it.

It's more damaging though. Imagine getting into a good debate and then having to stop because the other player is almost at post cap. Nonsense.
I had thought about it but I think the solution to that would be to start with safer limitations and then according to game statistics being grasped over time adjust the number.

I feel like only the usual top posters would end up having to reduce their counters if the limitation wasn't excessive. But, if they removed a lot of their one liners all along due it it would be extensively improbable that a shame and unnerving situation where they had to stop because of cap reached would occur.

For instance maybe sometimes Ekko Flower or whomever post in the 300s per cycle when the game is heated? But if lots of those one liners being involved were removed they would probably end up posting quite less.

Ratchet

In my opinion, females always made the best players.

I will take my leave now :kayneshrug:

On a serious note. On OJ it was transforming more to the current style here. I do remember how it use to be well written thought out posts which I protested against xD It then turned into something more casual; maybe not this casual but on its way.

I recall seeing posts by you, Dante, and Rot which I was impressed by and terrified by at the same time. There was the game when I first started playing that I didn't play but followed that made me not want to play. The one where everyone could kill and I believe there ended up being only one mafia member. I know @Underworld Broker played it because she had asked me to but I was scared of it.
Pretty sure that was one of Rot's Schlock Mercenary games, a user called EvilGenius was the sole Scum in that one. I recall he had Schlock, the main character, as a fake claim, which is what caught him in part in the end. I suppose that's the compromise, really. It's easier to glaze over 10 posts than it is to read one long one, because the long one would probably have several discussion points spring from it, which while efficient in posting totals isn't always what players who have to read a lot want to be spending their time doing.