General & Others Marineford vs the raid at Onigashima : Which is better?

which is better?

• Total voters
Seeing as how the raid at Onigashima is close to it's climax I think it's fair to compare the two parts of the story to one another now.

In terms of Marineford (chapters 550-580) we got the first major war arc in the series and to this day it has lasting consequences in the world of the series. It also displayed a lot of great characters like the admirals, commanders, Yonko,etc.

As for the raid at Onigashima (chapters 974-1039+) we got Roofpiece in which we saw the Supernova go up against the Yonko aswell as the strawhats go up against Yonko commanders like Queen and King. We also got long awaited plot points like the Minks (mainly Inu and Neku) going Sulong and the Return of Marco.

So by comparison, which is better?

I'd say Marineford had much more hype and a proper build-up but it did somewhat lack in terms of fights (not action). At Onigashima Oda did actually give us proper 1v1s that lasted for a couple of chapters.

Last edited:
Both are great but flawed. Marine Ford had more tension, Onigashima has better art and action.
I prefer Onigashima anyway due to the presence of the Strawhats and Supernova.
Me after reading this and losing my faith in humanity:

Marineford is (significantly) better because the build up and story are significantly more emotional and impactful.

I cared about Ace and Whitebeard. I don’t care about Kin’emon.

Marineford was basically entirely composed of fights like last chapter instead of dumb fluff like fucking tama
Post automatically merged:

bro like imagine after chapter 1000 we're just getting mountain busting feats after feats instead moving around to dumbass plot lines nobody cares about

The fights are better in Onigashima because we have actual conclusive 1v1 but from a story perspective MF was better, mainly because of the outcomes. The powerlevels and abilities of the characters were badly portrayed in MF. In Onigashima it's only Big Mom who is fucking it up as usual.

The only thing i didnt like about marineford was the lack of deaths (especially for the marines). I also think luffy shouldnt play such a big role considering how weak he was back then. Aside of these 2 though its the best arc for me by far.
So yes Marineford>Wano.
I actually just realised that luffy was the tama of marineford.
Post automatically merged:

The fights are better in Onigashima because we have actual conclusive 1v1 but from a story perspective MF was better, mainly because of the outcomes. The powerlevels and abilities of the characters were badly portrayed in MF. In Onigashima it's only Big Mom who is fucking it up as usual.
But marineford was a war. You cant expect actual 1vs1s. Its not a tournament, the enemies were numerous there.

MF is fast paced and has emotinal stuff with Ace. Emotinal stuff directly related with Luffy. This way we can feel Ace's death harder. Also MF is the first arc we have seen so many top tiers fighting at the same time too.

Onigashima is more slow paced and Oda fills with unnecessary stuff in some chapters. Also emotinal stuff of Wano depends on Oden. Doesnt directly related to Luffy so we dont feel the emotion that much. But it has our favourite Strawhats and we can see their growth unlike MF.

Both have flaws both of them skips fights and fucks over the powerscaling but i will take MF's fast pace over Onigashima's slow pace.

Marineford wins this.

Battles aside (and that's a pretty big 'aside'), I think Marineford had a way more interesting and diverse cast of players, with cooler abilities and designs. Not to mention that most of these players had a stellar set-up by Oda that really made it all feel like a big event. You got the feeling that you were watching this massive incident, that the One Piece world was changing right before your eyes. It was like witnessing history being made. And don't even get me started on the narrative tension.

I don't particularly hate the Onigashima raid or anything, but the stakes, players, and tension just aren't there, especially in comparison to Marineford. Luffy was the underdog every single second of Marineford, you could just tell how outclassed he was in every level (there's a reason why the panel of him standing in front of the 3 admirals is so damn iconic and cool), and IMO that's more tense and exciting than watching the alliance plow through Kaido's fodder without any deaths or real consequences. Oh, and the fact that it's like 99% Zoans and swordsmen isn't as interesting to me, personally.