Speculations Mihawk and Shanks... Who missed out on more?

Did Shanks face Kokuto Yoru?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
I think the two strongest individuals 20 years ago were Kaido and Oden
I believe so too. It is possible that when Oden peaked he was stronger than even Whitebeard but since he is overall a minor character that was unknown for almost 1000 chapters, there was no proper time to hype him up and make him relevant...

Coa haki by itself seems to basic so it will likely involve something linked to the new power system oda introduced on saturn´s devil circle.
It is certainly interesting how Oda will tie it all up with Black Blades.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
@nik87 the eminent cutlery consultant and aficionado of convoluted theories! It's truly amazing how your vast expertise in the world of spoons and forks has seamlessly translated into your in-depth analysis of sword fights. Perhaps it's time to leave the kitchen and delve into the world of actual combat before we attribute culinary prowess to every pirate duel in One Piece, shattering your elaborate fan fiction and leaving us with nothing but the bitter taste of over-speculation.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
@nik87 the eminent cutlery consultant and aficionado of convoluted theories! It's truly amazing how your vast expertise in the world of spoons and forks has seamlessly translated into your in-depth analysis of sword fights. Perhaps it's time to leave the kitchen and delve into the world of actual combat before we attribute culinary prowess to every pirate duel in One Piece, shattering your elaborate fan fiction and leaving us with nothing but the bitter taste of over-speculation.
Logical questions, my friend...
>When did they last fight?
>Did Mihawk have a blackened Yoru forged back then considering his peak is now and not 12 years ago when their last fight probably happened?
>Is that why Mihawk refuses to fight Shanks, because he is on a level where Shanks cannot satisfy his thirst?

While we know that one doesnt get stronger by becoming a Yonko, one does get stronger when he forges the black blade.
>Did Mihawk fight a Yonko Shanks? Nope, if their last fight is more than 6 years ago.
>Did Shanks fight Mihawk with blackened Yoru?
Unlikely if their last fight is too long ago.

So who has actually dodged a bullet here?
:sanmoji:

Seriously.
Whoever thinks YC1 Mihawk already has a black blade is just not thinking properly.
Just because Mihawk made a name for himself doesn't mean he is already at the top.

Any YC1 dueling would become legendary.
Imagine if Katakuri, Marco, Ben Beckman, or King had duel against fellow YC1.
It's definitely going to be on the news.

Like I said on other threads, it's more likely that Mihawk didn't have the black blade yet when he dueled Shanks, than Shanks not having advCOC. Shanks sailed with Roger and Ray, and was chosen to be the successor of Roger by Roger himself. Shanks should've been able to unlock all haki types at a young age or he is plain talentless.

Like I said on other threads, it's more likely that Mihawk didn't have the black blade yet when he dueled Shanks, than Shanks not having advCOC. Shanks sailed with Roger and Ray, and was chosen to be the successor of Roger by Roger himself. Shanks should've been able to unlock all haki types at a young age or he is plain talentless.

Shanks, as far as I am aware, has NEVER been implied to have ever been anything more than a bench warmer for the REAL future King of the Pirates. Be that Ace (initially at least) or later on Luffy? Does not really matter, it sure as hell was not intended to be Shanks.

If Roger thought Shanks was worthy of being the next King? Hell, if SHANKS thought he was worthy for that matter? Luffy would have never even be able to eat the damn Nika fruit in the first place. Shanks would have eaten the fruit himself if Roger not only chose him as a succesor but clued him into what he was missing.

Also, I am not petty enough to argue Oda knew all the way back in Chapter 1 what Haki was? From a PURELY in-universe perspective if Shanks at a young age unlocked Haki him getting tricked by a damn smoke bomb and literal backwater mountain bandits fodder almost running away with the Nika fruit (and Luffy) is a COLOSSAL L on his record even more so than it already is in canon.

Like straight up you basically have to ignore Shanks intro as pure plot because it makes NO sense that a guy who at this stage of his life had bounty over a billion on his head did let somebody like Higuma get away with the shit he did.

As for the thread? I still think Mihawk could just be a prodigy that turned his blade black early in life and that would fit his character without to many issues. Hell, Mihawk was older during his rivalry with Shanks than Zoro will be when he makes his swords black. Unless I am messing the ages up Mihawk turning Yoru black at 29 is not impossible or even all that unlikely.

Its not like Mihawk and Shanks had their duels while both were 16 or some shit. Both were already grown men, with Mihawk already having made a name for himself WAY before Shanks. Him already having a black blade prior to starting his rivalry with Shanks? Seems far from impossible to me.

Last edited:

Shanks, as far as I am aware, has NEVER been implied to have ever been anything more than a bench warmer for the REAL future King of the Pirates. Be that Ace (initially at least) or later on Luffy? Does not really matter, it sure as hell was not intended to be Shanks.

If Roger thought Shanks was worthy of being the next King? Hell, if SHANKS thought he was worthy for that matter? Luffy would have never even be able to eat the damn Nika fruit in the first place. Shanks would have eaten the fruit himself if Roger not only chose him as a succesor but clued him into what he was missing.

Also, I am not petty enough to argue Oda knew all the way back in Chapter 1 what Haki was? From a PURELY in-universe perspective if Shanks at a young age unlocked Haki him getting tricked by a damn smoke bomb and literal backwater mountain bandits fodder almost running away with the Nika fruit (and Luffy) is a COLOSSAL L on his record even more so than it already is in canon.

Like straight up you basically have to ignore Shanks intro as pure plot because it makes NO sense that a guy who at this stage of his life had bounty over a billion on his head did let somebody like Higuma get away with the shit he did.

As for the thread? I still think Mihawk could just be a prodigy that turned his blade black early in life and that would fit his character without to many issues. Hell, Mihawk was older during his rivalry with Shanks than Zoro will be when he makes his swords black. Unless I am messing the ages up Mihawk turning Yoru black at 29 is not impossible or even all that unlikely.

Its not like Mihawk and Shanks had their duels while both were 16 or some shit. Both were already grown men, with Mihawk already having made a name for himself WAY before Shanks. Him already having a black blade prior to starting his rivalry with Shanks? Seems far from impossible to me.
1. Shanks was the successor of the Straw Hat, which makes him Roger's successor, period.

Whatever task Roger told Shanks to do, whether being the next Pirate King or being someone who'd find the Nika fruit or find someone worthy, it doesn't matter. Roger gave him the hat among anyone else. Shanks is Roger's successor, you cannot change this fact.

Do you think Roger is a fool and would give the hat to anyone random?

2. You're missing the point of why Shanks let Higuma humiliate him.

Shanks was setting an example to Luffy, as well as Shanks has a philosophy in life.

Shanks doesn’t let pride or ego dictate his actions. He understands that fighting Higuma, a weak and petty criminal, would be meaningless and would only escalate the situation. He isn’t concerned about being humiliated because he knows his worth isn’t tied to what others think of him.

It won't matter if even Shanks is the strongest in the world at that point, because for Oda, plot will always win than power scaling. (In case you haven't noticed)

Are you telling me 1B Shanks isn't strong enough? This is the level of YC1. Katakuri already perfected his DF at this point, has advCOO and has COC. What more of Shanks who had Roger and Ray?

3. Mihawk forging a Black Blade at young age is even more absurd.

Do you guys even understand how ridiculous it is to think that Mihawk at YC1 was able to forge a black blade when Oden in his prime didn't? Oden, who's definitely a prodigy, and who's in Kaido's eyes is comparable to the likes of Roger and Primebeard.

1. Shanks was the successor of the Straw Hat, which makes him Roger's successor, period.

Whatever task Roger told Shanks to do, whether being the next Pirate King or being someone who'd find the Nika fruit or find someone worthy, it doesn't matter. Roger gave him the hat among anyone else. Shanks is Roger's successor, you cannot change this fact.

Do you think Roger is a fool and would give the hat to anyone random?

2. You're missing the point of why Shanks let Higuma humiliate him.

Shanks was setting an example to Luffy, as well as Shanks has a philosophy in life.

Shanks doesn’t let pride or ego dictate his actions. He understands that fighting Higuma, a weak and petty criminal, would be meaningless and would only escalate the situation. He isn’t concerned about being humiliated because he knows his worth isn’t tied to what others think of him.

It won't matter if even Shanks is the strongest in the world at that point, because for Oda, plot will always win than power scaling. (In case you haven't noticed)

Are you telling me 1B Shanks isn't strong enough? This is the level of YC1. Katakuri already perfected his DF at this point, has advCOO and has COC. What more of Shanks who had Roger and Ray?

3. Mihawk forging a Black Blade at young age is even more absurd.

Do you guys even understand how ridiculous it is to think that Mihawk at YC1 was able to forge a black blade when Oden in his prime didn't? Oden, who's definitely a prodigy, and who's in Kaido's eyes is comparable to the likes of Roger and Primebeard.
forging black blade has maybe nothing to do with power. its not confirmed, mihawk can even have found it just like zoro did with shusui

I have said this before but
All the shanks wankers , no matter how powerful you consider him. Where do you think he's powers are coming from? Joyboy Hat? Roger and Rayleigh sealed Haki?

No lmao.
Rayleigh Explicitly stated only Haki Bloom is the way to strengthen CoC. And guess who is in only record of fighting Shanks regularly?

Do I need to say more?

Rat to develop Future sight Killing to be fight mihawk lmao.

Rat fans should Thank Mihawk lmao.

forging black blade has maybe nothing to do with power. its not confirmed, mihawk can even have found it just like zoro did with shusui
You can deny the truth all you want.
There is a reason why Ryuma forged the black blade after countless of battles.
All of us know haki blooms in real battles, not training.

Luffy's and Zoro's haki has grown tremendously during their final battles in Onigashima in less than an hour.
Two long years of training meant nothing at all compared.

Sure, it is possible that Mihawk's black blade was inherited all along, and not forged by himself.
However, I don't think Oda would go this path.
It's going to be even more unthinkable than Luffy dying only to be resurrected by his fruit.