Speculations Mihawk Won his Duel With Shanks

What was the Outcome of Shanks and Mihawk's Duel?

• Mihawk Won

• Shanks Won

• Draw

• The duel was unresolved/otherwise didn't have a conclusion

Results are only viewable after voting.
If two swordfighters fought, and we didn't see the fight or hear the outcome, yet one of them holds the title of WSS, I don't understand how people can say, "Well, gee, but the author didn't tell us who won..." Obviously Mihawk won. I think it must've been close, but he won.

The conversation with Mihawk and Shanks is just shit talk, anyway. Shanks is like, "Did you come here to fight?" Mihawk answers him with sarcasm. It's just fake tension that Oda built up since the beginning of that scene when Mihawk arrived at Shanks' Camping Island® so he can pop that tension by showing that Shanks is a party animal and friends w Mihawk

You talked about Shanks attack defeating an admiral yet GB didn't even lose consciousness which means he wasn't defeated.
Yea no I didn’t doofus.

Wow, a surprise attack surprises an opponent. That's literally what surprises are meant to do.
leave it to a mihawk tard to pretend this is something normal lol. Why didn’t mihawk just surprise vista with some CoC lmao

There nothing to support the attack causing more damage the closer it is. That is your headcannon. That's nothing new from you.
well other then the potency increasing as a side effect of not being 100s of miles away.

But then shank being able to do this in the first place was something a fanboy like u. Would claim he couldn’t do, then it happened…. See u when it happens again
Post automatically merged:

:gokulaugh:
Classic snitchtard a lot of saying nothing with many words and claiming Shanks > Mihawk because headcanon lmao
Say a mihawk tard, in a cope thread desperately trying to prove mihawk >shanks.
:kayneshrug:

yet nobody knows Mihawk as "the man who defeated shanks", they just know him as a guy who has better sword skill

My guess is that the WSSM before Mihawk was an admiral, who Mihawk defeated in order to get his title.

If two swordfighters fought, and we didn't see the fight or hear the outcome, yet one of them holds the title of WSS, I don't understand how people can say, "Well, gee, but the author didn't tell us who won..." Obviously Mihawk won. I think it must've been close, but he won.

The conversation with Mihawk and Shanks is just shit talk, anyway. Shanks is like, "Did you come here to fight?" Mihawk answers him with sarcasm. It's just fake tension that Oda built up since the beginning of that scene when Mihawk arrived at Shanks' Camping Island® so he can pop that tension by showing that Shanks is a party animal and friends w Mihawk
1 billion berry shanks wasn't the WSSM

Shanks has been called a swordman in every media out there, by Oda himself even, even with the one armed one. King is not a pure swordman yet he got beaten the shit out of by Zoro, who's a "pure" swordman. So, "pure", or "not pure", Shanks is still a swordman. And he's below Mihawk. That's all.
What? That doesn’t even make sense… King already debunked “HOldiNG a sWoRDS =SwoRDsMan”. Zoro beating him doesn’t add anything to the situation. Mihawk title WSS implies he’s stronger then all swordsman, not anybody using a blade. There’s a difference

Shanks being a pure swordsman post arm lost, just mihawk fans coping.
None of you Yonkoutards know how to use the word "cope." For anything to be a cope, they must be excuses for notions with evidence stacked against it. There is no evidence that Haki is separate from swordsmanship. There are however numerous evidence that all three are still considered swordsmanship.

Introduction
There seems to be a pervasive misunderstanding that when Shanks had both his arms, he was equal to Mihawk. That they duelled several times, and the results of their many duels was a draw. As far as I can tell, this misunderstanding is based on mistranslations and personal headcanon; the manga does not at all support it.

In this thread, I'll try to set the record straight. I'll be using the Viz translations throughout the post.

A Single Duel
In the first place, there's no actual indication that Mihawk and Shanks had multiple duels. There's no reference to it anywhere in the manga.

Indeed, when Whitebeard met Shanks, he referred to just one duel between Shanks and Mihawk:

Insomuch as references are made to Shanks' fight with Mihawk, it's to this lone duel.

Edit
@Nidai_Kitetsu pointed out that Stephen Paul (Viz's current translator) translated it as "multiple duels" not a single one:

(I guess this fits better with Shanks asking Mihawk if he intended to challenge him.)

An Unresolved Battle
Another misunderstanding appears to be that Mihawk's duel with Shanks was unresolved or at least ended in a draw. As far as I can tell, this is due to a mistranslation. When Mihawk visited Shanks, there was no reference to "settling" things/the score.

Instead, Shanks simply asked Mihawk if he was here to challenge him and Mihawk replied that he did not challenge "one armed has-beens":

So there's no actual suggestion that the duel was undecided/unresolved. Indeed, it's likely that there was a victor.

Who was the Victor?
If I claim that there was a victor of Mihawk's duel with Shanks, it's only natural that you ask me to defend this statement. Fortunately, the manga is pretty clear on what the outcome of said duel was.

Brannew said that Mihawk's swordsmanship exceeds "Red Haired the Emperor" (Shanks):

How would Brannew know that Mihawk is the superior swordsman if he didn't win the duel? If he drew their duel, there would be no basis for elevating him above Shanks. Indeed, the very fact that it is Mihawk — and not Shanks — that is considered the World's Strongest Swordsman already heavily implies that Mihawk won their duel:

Further corroborating this manga statement is Mihawk's Vivre Card that states that he's waiting for a swordsman who surpasses Shanks:

This reinforces that Mihawk has surpassed Shanks and no longer considers him a worthy challenger.

Conclusion
The claim that Shanks drew his duel with Mihawk — or that it was otherwise unresolved — is simply without any basis in the manga and is indeed nothing but sheer cope and wishful thinking.
Mihawk is end game material.I have been saying that for a long ass time.Shanks is just a stepping stone for Luffy's PK journey.BB will surprass Shanks.It is only natural that Mihawk is stronger than Shanks,because Zoro and Luffy will always be comparable in strength.So Zoro needs a enemy worth for the right man of the pirate king.

What? That doesn’t even make sense… King already debunked “HOldiNG a sWoRDS =SwoRDsMan”. Zoro beating him doesn’t add anything to the situation. Mihawk title WSS implies he’s stronger then all swordsman, not anybody using a blade. There’s a difference
And Shanks is a swordman. Not pure, not non-pure, a swordman. And he's below Mihawk.

yet nobody knows Mihawk as "the man who defeated shanks", they just know him as a guy who has better sword skill

My guess is that the WSSM before Mihawk was an admiral, who Mihawk defeated in order to get his title.

1 billion berry shanks wasn't the WSSM
How do they know he has the better swordskill tho. How can they directly compare something from the 2 guys if there's no winner from either?

yep,swordsman is a dedicated fighting style.Some guys are mixed fighters,devil fruits,swords,pistols,etc...Shanks,Mihawk,Rayleigh,Roger,Zoro ,Oden,Ryuma,etc... are pure swordsman.

They didn't fight for the WSS title at the time they were fighting to get stronger as rivals..

Shanks response wasn't of a man who lost his duels lmao. Stop the cap

Captain: Well well, Hawk-Eyes. An unexpected visitor.
I'm in a bad mood right now... Have you come for a match?

Mihawk: Hmph... I'm not interested in our fight, now that you have but one arm.
I've found some interesting pirates.

Ch.96 - translation by Stephen Paul.

You can read right, what part of that sounds like either got a W over the other. Sounds like unfinished business was left on the table due to the 1-arm.

Yea no I didn’t doofus.

leave it to a mihawk tard to pretend this is something normal lol. Why didn’t mihawk just surprise vista with some CoC lmao

well other then the potency increasing as a side effect of not being 100s of miles away.

But then shank being able to do this in the first place was something a fanboy like u. Would claim he couldn’t do, then it happened…. See u when it happens again

Say a mihawk tard, in a cope thread desperately trying to prove mihawk >shanks.
:kayneshrug:
I don't care about your weak ass attempt to insult me because it proves you have no argument.

Never said it was normal. But a surprise attack is a surprise. That was a surprise attack. Shanks attack GB while he was dealing the Momo, Yamato and samurais.

Why would Mihawk use that or any high-level attack where he was fighting at a casual level during the war? Come on now, use your head. Maybe it's the same reason why Shanks didn't do anything to the Admirals who attacked Luffy even though they were supposed to stop. But of course you don't want to talk about that.

As I said, nothing but headcannon about that technique from you.

The only people desperate here you and everybody else who desperately try to place Shanks above Mihawk. The rest of us have known from early on that swordsmanship can include anything. Remember, one of Zoro's early opponents was a swordsman that spit fire.

Zoro used a scythe skillfully and it wasn't a problem. Zoro surrounded himself with haki to protect himself form a explosion and released CoC from his body in a burst and it wasn't an issue. Nobody said he wasn't a swordsman. Shanks used CoC to knock GB out of his element mode and all the sudden it he can't be a swordsman because swordsman don't do things like this. Swordsm don't do things like that and more. It's been nothing but bitching and complaining from the haters who can't stand the fact Shanks is a swordsman and weaker than Mihawk.

A) You don't know that.
B) I never said they were.

I don't really want to engage with you tbh. At least read the post you're replying to.
We here to discuss our headcanons..:kayneshrug:

It was a draw. That's the logical conclusion when someone declines to fight you under the assumption that you got weaker.
And when they assume the other wants to settle things up..

I don't care about your weak ass attempt to insult me because it proves you have no argument.
Huh? It wasn’t an insult, u lied about me sayin something. Sounding foolish was the byproduct, anyway What’s there to prove?

Never said it was normal. But a surprise attack is a surprise. That was a surprise attack. Shanks attack GB while he was dealing the Momo, Yamato and samurais.
Is there any indication things would be different otherwise? I mean no surprise

Why would Mihawk use that or any high-level attack where he was fighting at a casual level during the war? Come on now, use your head. Maybe it's the same reason why Shanks didn't do anything to the Admirals who attacked Luffy even though they were supposed to stop. But of course you don't want to talk about that.
Mihawk shouldn’t need to use it seriously lmao, if he’s remotely comparable to shanks in that department….

Shanks told the marines/BBP/WBPs to stop fighting. He makes no remarks regarding Luffy fool. That wasn’t his business, an the admiral in front of him doesn’t move an inch.
As I said, nothing but headcannon about that technique from you.
So it’s headcanon to assume an attacks would strengthen the closer it is to the opponent? Sure total unfounded headcanon, but ur stupidity about it being unable to cause harm up close supported by what? Probably same foolishness that had u claiming something like this was impossible in the first place.

The only people desperate here you and everybody else who desperately try to place Shanks above Mihawk. The rest of us have known from early on that swordsmanship can include anything. Remember, one of Zoro's early opponents was a swordsman that spit fire.
Shanks is seen stronger then mihawk by the large majority of the fan base. Hence mihawk fans constantly spamming threads to claim he’s comparable. King debunk Ztard mental Gymnastics

Zoro used a scythe skillfully and it wasn't a problem. Zoro surrounded himself with haki to protect himself form a explosion and released CoC from his body in a burst and it wasn't an issue. Nobody said he wasn't a swordsman. Shanks used CoC to knock GB out of his element mode and all the sudden it he can't be a swordsman because swordsman don't do things like this. Swordsm don't do things like that and more. It's been nothing but bitching and complaining from the haters who can't stand the fact Shanks is a swordsman and weaker than Mihawk.
Zoro acknowledges himself as a swordsman, it doesn’t matter if he seen using other moves once an every blue moon.

Shank the guy that Lost he’s main sword hand. Doesn’t acknowledge himself as a swordsman anymore. He just a sword user, his main power come from the ability with the most hype. An that’s CoC, shank Haki hype has significantly more focus then his blade/swordsmanship

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Oda doesn't like to show clear superiority between top tiers directly like this. I heavily doubt Mihawk had a significant edge in their duels.

I don't think he's ever gonna throw Shanks under the bus like this. The idea is that the world sees Mihawk as the strongest with a sword. This is a display of might with a blade not a 1v1 organized record. WB didn't have to beat every single top tier to gain his title.

WB was called the WSM thanks to the display of the overwhelming power of the Gura, same way Mihawk can be the WSS thanks to tangible things like Yoru, black blade, cutting power. Even Kaidou was called the WSC because of his monstrous attributes not because he went around fighting and defeating every living thing 1v1.

You look at Mihawk and his abilities, you see the pinnacle of swordsman.

I'm not saying he couldn't have defeated Shanks, that certainly would only further explain why he's the WSS but y'all need to stop treating titles like undisputed boxing belts.

Last edited:
If shanks defeated an admiral from 100 miles away you’d have shit ur self literally. Point was mihawk dumbass before it happened would’ve claimed it was impossible.
:gokulaugh:

Anyone with a functioning brain would realize its not a good idea to fight an entire yonkou crew by themselves. Sadly Lanks tards don't have one.