Theory Mihawk's Parents Theory

Do you agree?

• Total voters
W

wordyworm

For Mihawk's birthday, I decided to finally consolidate some headcanons and theories about his parents. Parts that are confirmed canon are in bold. Feel free to take the rest with a grain of salt, but this is my GRAND CONSOLIDATED MIHAWK PARENT THEORY:
:optimistic::optimistic::optimistic:

I think the manga has given us enough clues that Mihawk is Shakky and Rayleigh’s son, including the fact that she retired “40 years ago” and the increasing frequency Oda is showing us young Ray wearing the same paisley pattern on his coat.
The only other reason I can think of that explains the paisley pattern is that the paisley is some kind of WSS-only pattern, only worn by the best--like the yellow jersey in the Tour de France, lol.
Mihawk looks quite a bit like Shakky and seems to have the same hobbies (drinking and reading the newspaper).

All of the women of Amazon Lily have flower names. Shakky (whose full name means “Peony” in Japanese), is Gloriosa’s daughter.
(I think the shirt Mihawk wore to Roger’s execution has peonies on it too!)
Gloriosa was once the Empress of Amazon Lily, but she got love-sickness. The person she fell in love with was Shakky’s father.
In Japanese, Hancock calls her “former-former-former Empress” (先々々代皇帝).
So the Empresses were:
Gloriosa → (Empress1 who had love sickness and died) → (Empress2 who had love sickness and died) → Hancock

Furthermore, Gloriosa says that she survived by fleeing AL. I think that’s important, because it means that she left to be with the person she was in love with rather than wasting away pining for them.

Gloriosa and whoever she was with raised their daughter Shakuyaku on the sea. Gloriosa was a Kuja warrior back in the day, and Shakky was brought up to be a fighter and a pirate.
So Empress2 above was still alive when the Boa sisters came home, and she pardoned Gloriosa. When she died, the women of Amazon Lily made Hancock the new Empress.
Back to Shakky, she joined Rocks at some point (only half-bolded bc it’s not confirmed yet xD). During this time, she met Ray and they fell in love. Shakky retired before the God Valley incident, likely because she got pregnant with Mihawk.

Gloriosa might have come to Sabaody to help her daughter with the baby, which would explain why Ray knows Gloriosa and calls her by her name instead of Granny Nyon. Because they were both pirates, R & S gave their son a different family name than either of theirs.
This is also why Ray and Shakky helped Hancock and her sisters on Sabaody before Gloriosa took the three girls back to AL.
But don’t Amazon Lily women only give birth to female babies?
I think the key is that only female children are born on the island. The sex of the infants born on AL might be due to an environmental factor that affects the island itself. It might be dietary, or a magnetic field, or perhaps the love sickness can affect a child’s sex, which would explain why the sickness is so taboo!

An extremely rare male Kuja infant could be born with features that we don’t see often, such as red eyes or hawk-vision! Mihawk’s eyes could also be inherited from his maternal grandpa, who we know nothing about. (That is, if they’re a heritable trait at all; I tend to believe they’re just a design choice by Oda to show Mihawk’s intensity.)

Mihawk being Ray’s son also explains his friendly rivalry with Shanks, who must have been Ray’s swordfighting student. I imagine that Mihawk and Ray would have butted heads often enough that Mihawk didn’t grow up on the Oro Jackson or at the Rip-Off Bar, but instead was sent away to sword school during his youth. He wouldn't have been interested in being a part of Roger's crew, anyway.

On his mother’s side, Mihawk, Gloriosa, and Shakky all share an interest in keeping up with the news. Beyond that, he’s a wine connoisseur, which makes sense for a bartender’s son!

So, I admit that the connection to AL and the eye theory are a little out there, but I’m 99.999% certain that Ray and Shakky are Mihawk’s parents, whether the AL part is true or not.

The second part of my theory concerns Mihawk's position as Shichibukai. I think Mihawk became a warlord in order to help protect his parents. The agreement might have been that as long as R & S didn’t cause any trouble, the Marines would leave them alone, which explains why Borsalino said he had heard Ray was on Sabaody.
Borsalino was ready to bring down Ray and said that Ray’s crimes could never be forgiven. But hello? Ray’s wife is literally running a bar with her fucking name on it! Granted, it’s in the lawless area, but it’s not like it’s a secret. If the Marines really wanted to find R & S, they could.

If it’s known--or even suspected--that Dark King Rayleigh and former member of Rocks Shakky are on Sabaody, why aren’t the Marines hauling them in?

The Ace novel recently told us that it’s the Gorosei and Sengoku (Fleet Admiral) who pick the Shichibukai. It also said that both the Gorosei and the Marines take their instructions from the Celestial Dragons.

By choosing Mihawk as a Warlord, the Celestial Dragons could enter a détente with Rayleigh and Shakky as well as having the World’s Strongest Swordsman on their side. There must have been a “stand down” order on Rayleigh and Shakky, and Mihawk joining the Warlords was the reason for it. Borsalino and the other Admirals are not fully aware of this agreement, which makes sense because while Borsalino wants to catch Ray, he also admits that there’s not even a plan in place for that situation.
Ray tells Borsalino that he wasn’t exactly living in peace, so it does seem like there was a "lie-low-and-be-cool” kind of thing going on here, and the reason is that Ray’s son is a Shichibukai. (Now, what will happen to R & S since the Shichibukai were dismantled??)

If you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading! You might not agree with every part, but I think as a whole it makes as much sense as any other Mihawk origin theory!

Happy Birthday, Mihawk!

edit:
Forgot to add: This is why Mihawk doesn't have a DF. Both of his parents have insane haki powers, and he inherited the Kuja haki strength.

Also, I wish I'd worded the poll better. I don't mean that protecting his parents is the only reason he became a Warlord--obviously he did it to find better opponents. But the fact that he holds that position keeps the Marines from actively seeking out R & S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work! I’m a fan of the Shakky-Ray-Mihawk theory, even more so after the Oden flashback! Ray said it’s been a long time since he held a baby, but Ace wasn’t born yet, so whose baby was he holding? It would be quite the love story too if Ray fell for a woman on an enemy crew and she raised their child quietly, away from the notoriety of a pirate’s life. Happy birthday indeed to Mihawk, let’s hope we see him again this year :amazing:

W

wordyworm

Nice work! I’m a fan of the Shakky-Ray-Mihawk theory, even more so after the Oden flashback! Ray said it’s been a long time since he held a baby, but Ace wasn’t born yet, so whose baby was he holding? It would be quite the love story too if Ray fell for a woman on an enemy crew and she raised their child quietly, away from the notoriety of a pirate’s life. Happy birthday indeed to Mihawk, let’s hope we see him again this year :amazing:
Thank you! I had a similar thought when that chapter came out!

W

wordyworm

nice theory bro! and well written ;) so do you have any wild idea who could be the father of Shakky?
I used to like to think it was Zeff, since he knew so much about Mihawk when he arrived at the Baratie. However, the ages don't match; Zeff (67) is closer to Shakky's age (64).

I'm not sure of Gloriosa's age (has she had a Vivre Card released?) but it seems like he would have been from the generation before Rayleigh, and we don't really know that many people who existed then. Who are your guesses? :)

H

Homelander

Woah this is uncanny and got me excited , Mihawk being Rayleigh' son makes sense . However i think Gloriosa is not necessary his grandmum it's possible Gloriosa and Shakky did meet on Rock's pirate . Its hard to speculate but Shakky is damn to old possibly around in 60-70 years, if she was during the time when Rocks was creating havoc around the world .

The odds are high !! I 'll wager on it.

W

wordyworm

Mihawk and Hancock are siblings and Ray and Shakky's children ;D
I like that theory too! It explains why Mihawk and Hancock kind of look similar. But I can't imagine Ray and Shakky would knowingly let their daughter live as a slave that long : \
On the other hand, the connection to Fisher Tiger literally saving their daughter(s)' life might explain why Ray and Shakky were friends with Hacchan and how Ray learned about coating!

djiayebee

☆ 𝕊𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕦𝕡𝕖𝕣 𝔻𝕒𝕕𝕕𝕪 ☆
I used to like to think it was Zeff, since he knew so much about Mihawk when he arrived at the Baratie. However, the ages don't match; Zeff (67) is closer to Shakky's age (64).

I'm not sure of Gloriosa's age (has she had a Vivre Card released?) but it seems like he would have been from the generation before Rayleigh, and we don't really know that many people who existed then. Who are your guesses? :)
agreed and no idea either honestly i never thought about it until reading your post! but i am wondering, we dont know for sure she fell in love with a pirate right? could he be a marine? it's not really important but would be an interesting turn of event ^^

W

wordyworm

There's no mention of the image of young Mihawk that was drawn showing him extremely disheveled as if he was street urchin or something.

Surely that should've featured in the speculations made
I don't think he looks like a disheveled street urchin though. He's wearing almost the same style outfit that he does as an adult, except that his shorts are frayed and he's got some training bruises.
He just looks like a rough and tumble sword kid or pirate kid to me.

W

wordyworm

The more i think about it make sense why Mihawk has rivalry with Shanks . Rayleigh was mentor to Shank's growth during the pirate days and probably spoke about Shanks a lot , it could have annoyed Mihawk trying to prove his dad he is better than him . Repressed family issues no wonder Mihawk looked after perona like a daughter !
Yes! Ray and Mihawk are almost too similar in personality to make a good training team, especially as father-son. Mihawk might have resented young Shanks, and I doubt he and Buggy even knew each other, which makes sense of their interaction at Marineford.