Questions & Mysteries "My audience will not be satisfied if Luffy defeats Kaido just because his punch is so strong"-Eichirro Oda [Paraphrased]

Did Oda Let Himself Down?

• Total voters
People don't understand basic English. Idk what the original Japanese was but "just because" means it's one of many factors, not that he "won't punch" Kaido. That is fucking stupid. That's Luffy's fighting style.

I think you have a hard time understanding Oda, not us you. Oda's comments were made with respect to 2016 Luffy, not current Luffy.

He said in 2016 Luffy as is is not enough. ("When Kaido first appeared, I said Luffy is not ready yet"). He never said Luffy won't punch hard, or won't defeat Kaido with a strong punch. He said he needs more things (just because) when compared to his 2016 version.

For the 893rd time, "just because" doesn't negate the clause. He didn't say Luffy wouldn't punch him hard. It implies additional reasons ON TOP of it.
Lol all these arguments trying to explain to people that Oda never said Luffy won't punch.

I think it was obvious it will end with a punch. I thought it would be gattling lucci style but this was also good. KKG the size of an Island + Adv coc + Adv coa and luffy was still struggling unlike against doffy

Possibly the most powerful attack in terms of AP with Hakai

I think it was obvious it will end with a punch. I thought it would be gattling lucci style but this was also good. KKG the size of an Island + Adv coc + Adv coa and luffy was still struggling unlike against doffy

Mate, this fucking shits on Hakai. You think Hakai is overpowering Kaido's strongest attack and burying Kaido 1000 feet in the ground?

The only way it wasn't going to end with a punch was if Luffy wasn't the one to finish Kaido. He's a fucking brawler, idk what people expected him to pull, laser beams?

They are not comparable in the slightest. Hakai is 2x stronger than Kaido's air slash. That air slash doesn't even compare to him breathing fire with Haki.

Luffy not just overpowered that but KOed him and buried him 1000 feet deep.
No its not 2x or anything ; the blast was bigger than onigashima and kaido didn't do anything close to it

Oda's statement is not a lie though, "NOT JUST BECAUSE his punch is too strong" but he also get a penetrating lethal attack with his punch, invisible nuke the size of Genkidama, and also the freedom of creating infinite muscle mass etc

Here is the actual quote:

Oda "When Kaidou appeared for the first time, I said that Luffy can't defeat such a strong character yet. And I'm yet to know how Luffy would defeat Kaidou. Probably my audience will not be satisfied if the reason for defeating Kaidou is just because Luffy's punch is so strong. Luffy and I have to find a solution somehow."

Source 1

And Source 2

This needs to be talked about. Luffy's entire character-arc in Wano was just him powering up his punches. The only reason he's going to defeat Kaido, literally, is because he powered up his attacks to be able to injure Kaido. Metaphorically, Luffy is only defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger.

Which Oda explicitly said would be a disappointing way to write the Kaido fight.

Some might say "Oh well, Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his Haki got stronger"

Which is a nonsense argument. You may as well say "Luffy isn't defeating Kaido because his punches got stronger, he's defeating Kaido because his kicks got stronger"

It completely misses the point of the criticism, that Luffy vs Kaido is not going to be different from any other fight that Luffy has had in the manga. Now Luffy has earned an invisible powerup which has turned Kaido into a generic "let me punch him as hard as I can over and over again until he gives up" fight which Luffy is notorious for.

When Oda first gave the above quote, it's hard not to imagine that he was trying to wrack his brain to make Luffy vs Kaido different and more memorable. But it looks like this fight is going to be the same as any other Luffy fight both artistically and narratively. Just Luffy spamming punch attacks over and over again until Kaido gives up.

I pitty those who actually thought Luffy learning advanced Haki was actually going to make the Kaido fight different from every other Luffy fight in some way, and that includes myself lol.

Did Oda let himself down here? Is this a disappointing way to carry out this fight?

@Light D Lamperouge @Owl Ki @Blackbeard @LuthonTheDragDown @Jiihad @Haoshoku @Van @Bogard @Cinera @ShishioIsBack @Jo_Ndule @Chrono etc etc etc
He defeated Kaido with a stronger punch

Oda right now:

Oda's statement is not a lie though, "NOT JUST BECAUSE his punch is too strong" but he also get a penetrating lethal attack with his punch, invisible nuke the size of Genkidama, and also the freedom of creating infinite muscle mass etc
i mean we kinda didn't expect Kai do witha Susano and Luffy prepping for a ultra mega super godzilla island busting punch..