Votes: 4 33.3%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • ⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Interesting little tidbit we got with Shoto & Toya. I love the little parallel & contrast and how it speaks on both their characters. Both Shoto & Toya were burning with hatred. Shoto's path is represented in his quirk with how, despite burning with hatred he's able to cool himself off whereas Toya just keeps burning and burning until he's become unrecognizable from the person he was before. Pretty straight forward but I do like how their stories are represented in their abilities like that. This also seems to be a comment on the self-destructiveness of hatred. Not only of how it turns you into a monster but also how it destroys you. Not anything revolutionary but the framing of it is interesting.
I liked this a lot, however, I think I would have liked if it wasn’t so plainly stated. However, I guess it is the trap of most shonens like MHA to lack any sort of thematic subtlety to this sort of thing. I think a little less being said would have made his resolution a bit more impactful personally.
All that aside though, one thing that I think is definitely gonna happen is that Deku's secret is gonna come out. Real soon. And the reason why is something I don't see many people talking about. The context in which it will happen. Think about it. We're in the pits of despair right now. Hero society is at it's lowest. All For One's crazy play has left them devastated. So how do they strike back? How do they inspire hope in the people again? You tell them that the second coming of All Might is on the way. The successor who inherited his quirk. It's the perfect comeback.
That alone might blow people's minds and distract them from all this mayhem. They'd probably be way too busy talking about this news to focus on anything else.

If this turns out to be the case it might have even been the point of this whole arc. The heroes need a fall before they can rise, so Hirokoshi brought the Heroes to their lowest point so that he could force Deku to step out into the light. To push the new generation of Heroes forward as the new hope against all this despair.
I actually like this take, as opposed to ideas of a time skip. Deku’s secret being revealed would massively shake up the story, and I think I’d prefer that to a time skip. MHA is largely a series based on children learning to grow up, I think a time skip to remove the cast from the school setting would defeat a good deal of the charm and appeal of the series.

Hero society is at it's lowest. All For One's crazy play has left them devastated. So how do they strike back? How do they inspire hope in the people again? You tell them that the second coming of All Might is on the way. The successor who inherited his quirk. It's the perfect comeback.
I was also thinking Author is setting this up for Deku reveal.
Post automatically merged:

Also, anyone thinking one of Deku's new Power could be regeneration/ Healing? Or any other ideas?

I liked this a lot, however, I think I would have liked if it wasn’t so plainly stated. However, I guess it is the trap of most shonens like MHA to lack any sort of thematic subtlety to this sort of thing. I think a little less being said would have made his resolution a bit more impactful personally.
It's a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, it makes sense from the perspective of the character. Of course Todoriki would be thinking about this in that way and drawing comparisons to himself. How else would he come to the conclusion that he needs to be the one to take down Toya? Then from the writer's perspective: You can see why it's necessary for Hirokoshi as a writer to point this out because lets be real, as obvious as this is, how many people do you think are actually paying attention? Not saying the audience is stupid or anything but more often than not people are usually not trying to read that out of the text. There are over a 1000 chapters of One Piece and there are still people who think that the strawhats "don't have character development". It's sad but sometimes you just have to spell it out for an audience and even then they still might not bother to get it.

So long story short, as long as it does it's job I'm fine with it. lol.

I actually like this take, as opposed to ideas of a time skip. Deku’s secret being revealed would massively shake up the story, and I think I’d prefer that to a time skip. MHA is largely a series based on children learning to grow up, I think a time skip to remove the cast from the school setting would defeat a good deal of the charm and appeal of the series.
Well to be fair, I think if there was a timeskip it could just fast forward to their next year in UA. Doesn't necessarily have to take place after UA.

But yeah we probably don't really need a timeskip just yet.

Well to be fair, I think if there was a timeskip it could just fast forward to their next year in UA. Doesn't necessarily have to take place after UA.

But yeah we probably don't really need a timeskip just yet.
Yeah, a small time skip to the next year is fine, but I'd be against any time skip that would lead to them skipping significant portions of their time at UA. For example, I'd be against a time skip where they were all suddenly pro heroes.

It's a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, it makes sense from the perspective of the character. Of course Todoriki would be thinking about this in that way and drawing comparisons to himself. How else would he come to the conclusion that he needs to be the one to take down Toya? Then from the writer's perspective: You can see why it's necessary for Hirokoshi as a writer to point this out because lets be real, as obvious as this is, how many people do you think are actually paying attention? Not saying the audience is stupid or anything but more often than not people are usually not trying to read that out of the text. There are over a 1000 chapters of One Piece and there are still people who think that the strawhats "don't have character development". It's sad but sometimes you just have to spell it out for an audience and even then they still might not bother to get it.

So long story short, as long as it does it's job I'm fine with it. lol.
I think that Shoto kind of said the quiet parts a bit too loud. Like, it would be better if some of the stuff about Dabi destroying his body was left unsaid, and he'd just resolved to beat him because they were previously alike.

I think shonen's lacking sublte is an obvious thing, but even One Piece has some subtlety at least when drawing parallels between characters. For example, Luffy fighting Katakuri in the mirror world, or the Charlotte's having to hide their disconfigurations(like Pudding and Katakuri). Or hell, even stuff like how Luffy beats his opponents often having symbolic meaning. They are things are enhanced by not being explicitly stated or explained in universe.

For example, I'd be against a time skip where they were all suddenly pro heroes.
Same. I definitely DO NOT want that to happen. I'm enjoying them as kids for the time being. I wanna WATCH them grow up. Not fast forward through all their growth.

I think that Shoto kind of said the quiet parts a bit too loud. Like, it would be better if some of the stuff about Dabi destroying his body was left unsaid, and he'd just resolved to beat him because they were previously alike.

I think shonen's lacking sublte is an obvious thing, but even One Piece has some subtlety at least when drawing parallels between characters. For example, Luffy fighting Katakuri in the mirror world, or the Charlotte's having to hide their disconfigurations(like Pudding and Katakuri). Or hell, even stuff like how Luffy beats his opponents often having symbolic meaning. They are things are enhanced by not being explicitly stated or explained in universe.
Yeah I get what you mean. And there are parallels/contrasts between Luffy and all of his villains that are never explicitly stated. Case in point:

But I think not being too subtle is fine here as long as the author doesn't rely on it too much.

Same. I definitely DO NOT want that to happen. I'm enjoying them as kids for the time being. I wanna WATCH them grow up. Not fast forward through all their growth.
My Hero Academia is about the journey. I think them skipping to the destination would be a cop out.
But I think not being too subtle is fine here as long as the author doesn't rely on it too much.
I think that often, Horikoshi does point it out a bit too much, and sometimes in ways that don't make much sense, or are just kind of cringey.

Like, I didn't think the parralel between Gentle and Deku really made too much sense considering how they ended up, but I guess I understood what they were going for.

And I think that AFO literally having a "We're not so different you and I" moment with All Might was a really cringey and obvious.

Like, I didn't think the parralel between Gentle and Deku really made too much sense considering how they ended up, but I guess I understood what they were going for.

And I think that AFO literally having a "We're not so different you and I" moment with All Might was a really cringey and obvious.
Deku & Gentle being similar but ending up in different places was the point of their parallel. It shows us how easily someone like Deku could have become just like Gentle if things had been different. As well as many other comments about Hero Society.

It made sense, but I can understand having problems with writers being too up front about what they're trying to convey.

I think for me, I don't have too many issues because Hirokoshi both tells & shows instead of just tells. He gives a decent amount of both.

Deku & Gentle being similar but ending up in different places was the point of their parallel. It shows us how easily someone like Deku could have become just like Gentle if things had been different. As well as many other comments about Hero Society.

It made sense, but I can understand having problems with writers being too up front about what they're trying to convey.

I think for me, I don't have too many issues because Hirokoshi both tells & shows instead of just tells. He gives a decent amount of both.
I agreed it sort of made some sense, even if I think their situations were very different.

Like, in terms of Gentle not being a bad person, sure. Gentle actually seems like a nice guy, and also shares ambition like Deku. However, Gentle's character isn't really like Deku's. Its not that his families unfortunate or something like that, its just that Gentle just sucked at school, and wasn't smart enough to get past the second year. That was a huge part of what led to him spiraling. Deku on the other hand, is really intelligent.

I'm just feeling like, if they wanted that parrallel to make sense, then they would have made a bad decision Gentle made, or something outside his control be what prevented him from becoming a hero, as opposed to him just being not very smart, and not being able to get through class.

Like, someone like Deku, at the very least, has really good academic prospects in comparison to someone like Gentle did.

That's sort of why I felt the parallel probably could have been made stronger...