Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Smoker for last Nakama, he's peculiarly missing from all the action. Koby is the future of the Marines now. It's been a slow build up but I think it will finally be time for him to turn after witnessing Saturn, Kizaru and the near destruction of Egghead.

@Rambles I still don't believe Lucci for nakama is even remotely likely, but I don't think I ever congratulated you on the victory of him becoming an ally. I legitimately never expected that, and it's a gigantic boost for your nakama train :cheers:
Oh, thank you. I didn't expect that congratulation. :blush: As small as our train still is, maybe we can grow in number one day... .:pepebuggy:

Last edited:
We have different opinions in this regard. And this is totally ok. Lets leave it at that or else we will fight over such a subjective matter, with no outcome.

The last member will not be a throw in – I can underline that as well. But neither Pedro (your choice) nor Lucci (my choice) are throw-ins: On the contrary, they are well established characters, who the readers already know. I think we have the same line of thinking here.

If you are choosing your candidate for the last empty seat on the Sunny simply by how much that character is foreshadowed, then your choice should fall on Lucci. Because that man had rather heavy foreshadowing. In fact Oda is setting him specifically up and gives us his main character traits before we even dive into the Egghead storyline. You could also say – he prepared him for something bigger:

• We see him in Dressrosa in his new position as CP0 member – most important information dropped about him: Lucci is still working for the WG.
  • We see him during the Reverie interacting with Vivi – most important information dropped about him: For the first time he is showing us, in what position Lucci is and what his world view is – and this alone is very important and Oda manages to highlight it by Vivi even going against him and telling him he is wrong in letting things progress, how they did back then. This one sentence of Vivi alone is foreshadowing, because Lucci does not see how wrong he is, yet. He still thinks that the world is at peace and that for the peace to remain, one has to make sacrifices. Hence, why he allows Carlos to enslave Shirahoshi. That those sacrifices are not necessary at all needs to be proofed to him.
  • We see him during Wano calling his colleague. And here Oda once again shows us one very important detail about Lucci: Robin has to be brought in, for the pirates could use her as a tool to disrupt the peace. Again, we see how much Lucci hates pirates and Oda is reminding us that the agent thinks that pirates are the bad guys (I mean, pirates are generally bad and pillage and kill and do all that terrible stuff. Luffy and his crew are one of the few exceptions.).
And with the beginning of the Egghead arc, we now know these two most important things through this foreshadowing about him:

• He is an advocate for peace and does everything he can so that conflicts do not arise or flare up. This is also the reason, why he beats Leo and Sai – because if he hadn’t done this, their countries would have suffered the consequences of Carlos’ wrath.
  • He thinks that the worst thread for the world are pirates as they could use the knowledge of Robin to go against the government, and that on the other side would lead to war and disrupt peace.

We even have two characters, who have foreshadowed Lucci joining the crew:

In Wano we have Yamato, who wanted to join the SHP from the start, only to stay behind at the end. With this she acted like a red herring and let us focus again on the still empty seat on the Sunny – she was one big foreshadowing. And the reason I am sthinking that is because of another very interesting thing: If you compare Yamato with Lucci you will find quite the contrast of character Oda plays with:

• Their DF-themes are contrasting: Cat and dog
  • Their color scheme for their DF is also contrasting: Rather light colors for Yamato and rather dark colors for Lucci (Awakened form)
  • How Yamato and Lucci think about pirates is vastly opposing: While Yamato wants to become a pirate, Lucci detests them
  • Yamato is a fan of Luffy, Lucci wants nothing more than to eradicate “Straw hat”
  • Oda depicts Yamato as an ally from the beginning, whereas he determines Lucci’s role as that of an antagonist
  • Yamato immediately wants to join, whereas Lucci needs to be in imminent danger to actually start thinking about an alliance
  • I could even say their gender is contrary but then this is too vague and/or a coincident
  • The only similarity is their strength, which is roughly the same
Have you also thought about Who’s Who? That guy is like a copy of Lucci:

• worked for CP9,
  • had eaten a DF of the Neko-kind
  • the guy was even comparing himself to Lucci
  • and the most important part: He was a defector of the WG
Now however, the ex-CP9-agent works for Kaido as a pirate. If Who’s Who is not one big foreshadowing, then I don’t know, what could be more obvious. Oda is probably already laughing at us… .

His post on the Sunny was foreshadowed as well:

The role of strategist has been foreshadowed since Wano and the necessity of it was even mentioned during WCI. When Big Mom hunted half the crew, someone said that Luffy has no knowledge about tactics. Later in Wano Kinemon had more luck than brainpower back then and he can be lucky that his plan worked out after all. Jinbe hinted in chapter 979 anyway that they would need someone who is able to calmly observe what is happening.

And look, the last arcs were not anymore on a par to a Don Creek or Morgan. The calibre of them exceeded almost everything we knew before, because there were entire battle grounds with hundreds/thousands of men/women fighting each other. You could also call it “war”. And this will most likely continue. Even here in Egghead we are seeing 100 battle ships heading towards the island, 50 Pacifista deployed, then we have the Seraphim and there is a giant robot rusting in the back-yard with an undefined power potential. Some of the BBP are arriving at the island as well. And we still have York, whose plan still involves her killing everyone else in the Labo.

It would for once be nice if someone did have an overview over everything happening and could direct everyone according to a functioning plan. Because the SH cannot keep barging into every conflict headless – and Luffy is no strategist.

Surely, now is the best time to recruit someone with enough brainpower to calmly observe and give Luffy and his crew the best strategical information for him to base his decisions upon.

I have more foreshadowing if I need to continue. I have not even touched the fitting numerical theory of the SHP’s DF or the fact that Luffy has never even once said Lucci’s name, though he did that with every other main antagonist… .
Strategist???

Too many crewmates already that are capable strategists already in the crew. Strategist has not been in an intro box as a position and I doubt Lucci is one of the best strategist in the One Piece world. By the way Jinbe was referring to himself not a new crewmate calmly observing though an additional crewmate who can observe calmly is welcomed.

Lucci was a carpenter for 5 years and is a trained spy assassin. That leaves Lucci qualified as Franky's assistant or...?

The "foreshadowing" you bring up for Lucci is all post-timeskip after his character was already established. Dressrosa, Reverie, and Wano shown his presence in the New World but that didn't hint anything beyond us the audience knowing he will have some relevance. Punk Hazard I would say is the best example of foreshadowing with the mistaken Jaguar called a Leopard (Lucci) and Giraffe (Kaku) centaurs presence BEFORE we knew they were in CP0.

Luffy stating he accept Sanji's wife as a crewmate opened up a crewmate after Jinbe. Yamato AND Tama wanted to join Luffy's crew. You can't state it is specific foreshadowing for Lucci joining but rather a likely open spot is available in the crew.

State whatever "foreshadowing" or "proof" for Lucci you want.
Unironically a much more reasonable train than Pedro for nakama :kata:
You are just mad that you know deep down Stussy is not joining the Strawhats as a crewmate. Gin is not a more reasonable pick for crewmate than Pedro or most candidates.

Strategist???

Too many crewmates already that are capable strategists already in the crew. Strategist has not been in an intro box as a position and I doubt Lucci is one of the best strategist in the One Piece world. By the way Jinbe was referring to himself not a new crewmate calmly observing though an additional crewmate who can observe calmly is welcomed.

Lucci was a carpenter for 5 years and is a trained spy assassin. That leaves Lucci qualified as Franky's assistant or...?

The "foreshadowing" you bring up for Lucci is all post-timeskip after his character was already established. Dressrosa, Reverie, and Wano shown his presence in the New World but that didn't hint anything beyond us the audience knowing he will have some relevance. Punk Hazard I would say is the best example of foreshadowing with the mistaken Jaguar called a Leopard (Lucci) and Giraffe (Kaku) centaurs presence BEFORE we knew they were in CP0.

Luffy stating he accept Sanji's wife as a crewmate opened up a crewmate after Jinbe. Yamato AND Tama wanted to join Luffy's crew. You can't state it is specific foreshadowing for Lucci joining but rather a likely open spot is available in the crew.

You are just mad that you know deep down Stussy is not joining the Strawhats as a crewmate. Gin is not a more reasonable pick for crewmate than Pedro or most candidates.
Gin returns soon

Strategist???

At least Stussy is alive:kayneshrug:

Strategist???

Too many crewmates already that are capable strategists already in the crew.
And yet – not one of them is stepping up to the role. We had Law, Bege and Kinemon, who were only allys of the Straw hats and tried to direct the crew according to an actual plan. This never really went well and even Law said in Wano that it is useless to work out a plan for the Straw hats because they aren’t adhering to it anyway. There was simply still not a good one amongst them, who, as of now, was really able to work with all their peculiarities - especially Luffy's and Zolo's.

Strategist has not been in an intro box as a position and I doubt Lucci is one of the best strategist in the One Piece world.
The position doesn’t have to be introduced to us in an intro box to be relevant and it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as you can see with the allys mentioned above. As for Lucci not being a good strategist: Just look at how he figured out that Franky must have the blueprints when CP9 ran into an inpasse in Icebergs bedroom. Their plan altogether was very good and well thought through. He also figured out that, if he flooded the passage, through which Luffy's friends were running towards them, he could take them out at once.

Then look at how he already is laying open just why exactly S-Hawk had left the control room. And right after it, he is the one, who is yelling at Luffy to stop hitting S-Bear and try to think for a moment. I bet he will also be the one, who is going to now come up with a plan to defeat the Seraphim or at least enable them to bind him or something. Lucci is very intelligent and one of the best tacticians Luffy can find.

By the way Jinbe was referring to himself not a new crewmate calmly observing though an additional crewmate who can observe calmly is welcomed.
If he was referring to himself, then he is not doing a good job in observing and strategizing. I haven’t seen Oda clearly highlighting him in that position or at least making an effort to fill out that empty place. This is the reason I think he is not referring to himself at all.

Oda has always highlighted the specific strength of each Straw hat before they joined Luffy. With Franky you just knew he was a good Shipwright and good with tech. Nami was good in drawing maps, etc.. Now, if you look at Lucci, the first thing that comes to mind is how dangerous he is. And what makes him that dangerous? Not only his bodily strength – but also because of his cunning nature. He is always cooking and doing that really good even in the battle with Luffy in Enies Lobby.

If he was to join the SHP, his intellect would by far overshadow his knowledge as a carpenter.

The "foreshadowing" you bring up for Lucci is all post-timeskip after his character was already established.
Of course it is after timeskip. Because now this is the time when Oda needs to bring him up again. What purpose would it have done if he did it before ts? He was also on the run then. And it makes me very curious as to why he rejoined the WG. Because we know that Who's Who was imprisoned for failing a mission - Lucci not. He got even promoted.

Dressrosa, Reverie, and Wano shown his presence in the New World but that didn't hint anything beyond us the audience knowing he will have some relevance.
Oda did something very important with all of Lucci’s short appearances: He did give us an overall view of the characters main aspects. We know how Lucci thinks and where Lucci stands in the story. This is very important if you want to take the character and develop it. Because you cannot develop a character, whose mindset is not knows to the audience.

By the way – have you noticed something? Oda is already developing the character. Oda is bringing Lucci down from his position as an unapproachable boss-antagonist to a more relatable version of himself. The reader is slowly getting more varied characteristic traits of him as we slowly can see his character coming along as more reachable and funny (Him making that funny face in chapter 1077 and getting angry; Him flying through the wall and leaving that funny imprint of himself). Something he was totally lacking in Water 7 and Enies Lobby.

I already have commented on the specific foreshadowing of Lucci. You can read it here:An overview

And this is exactly why the two of us can argue about strong and weak foreshadowing for the next couple of weeks. Because it is entirely subjective, how much we are weighting certain “foreshadowing”. I feel a little agitation/denfensiveness there implied in your last sentence. Note, that I still try to entirely be objective about our debate – or as much as a breathing, feeling human can. And I try to convey that throughout my entire comments with you - I hope you notice this.

And yet – not one of them is stepping up to the role. We had Law, Bege and Kinemon, who were only allys of the Straw hats and tried to direct the crew according to an actual plan. This never really went well and even Law said in Wano that it is useless to work out a plan for the Straw hats because they aren’t adhering to it anyway. There was simply still not a good one amongst them, who, as of now, was really able to work with all their peculiarities - especially Luffy's and Zolo's.

The position doesn’t have to be introduced to us in an intro box to be relevant and it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as you can see with the allys mentioned above. As for Lucci not being a good strategist: Just look at how he figured out that Franky must have the blueprints when CP9 ran into an inpasse in Icebergs bedroom. Their plan altogether was very good and well thought through. He also figured out that, if he flooded the passage, through which Luffy's friends were running towards them, he could take them out at once.

Then look at how he already is laying open just why exactly S-Hawk had left the control room. And right after it, he is the one, who is yelling at Luffy to stop hitting S-Bear and try to think for a moment. I bet he will also be the one, who is going to now come up with a plan to defeat the Seraphim or at least enable them to bind him or something. Lucci is very intelligent and one of the best tacticians Luffy can find.

If he was referring to himself, then he is not doing a good job in observing and strategizing. I haven’t seen Oda clearly highlighting him in that position or at least making an effort to fill out that empty place. This is the reason I think he is not referring to himself at all.

Oda has always highlighted the specific strength of each Straw hat before they joined Luffy. With Franky you just knew he was a good Shipwright and good with tech. Nami was good in drawing maps, etc.. Now, if you look at Lucci, the first thing that comes to mind is how dangerous he is. And what makes him that dangerous? Not only his bodily strength – but also because of his cunning nature. He is always cooking and doing that really good even in the battle with Luffy in Enies Lobby.

If he was to join the SHP, his intellect would by far overshadow his knowledge as a carpenter.

Of course it is after timeskip. Because now this is the time when Oda needs to bring him up again. What purpose would it have done if he did it before ts? He was also on the run then. And it makes me very curious as to why he rejoined the WG. Because we know that Who's Who was imprisoned for failing a mission - Lucci not. He got even promoted.

Oda did something very important with all of Lucci’s short appearances: He did give us an overall view of the characters main aspects. We know how Lucci thinks and where Lucci stands in the story. This is very important if you want to take the character and develop it. Because you cannot develop a character, whose mindset is not knows to the audience.

By the way – have you noticed something? Oda is already developing the character. Oda is bringing Lucci down from his position as an unapproachable boss-antagonist to a more relatable version of himself. The reader is slowly getting more varied characteristic traits of him as we slowly can see his character coming along as more reachable and funny (Him making that funny face in chapter 1077 and getting angry; Him flying through the wall and leaving that funny imprint of himself). Something he was totally lacking in Water 7 and Enies Lobby.

I already have commented on the specific foreshadowing of Lucci. You can read it here:An overview

And this is exactly why the two of us can argue about strong and weak foreshadowing for the next couple of weeks. Because it is entirely subjective, how much we are weighting certain “foreshadowing”. I feel a little agitation/denfensiveness there implied in your last sentence. Note, that I still try to entirely be objective about our debate – or as much as a breathing, feeling human can. And I try to convey that throughout my entire comments with you - I hope you notice this.
I could maybe Lucci becoming some kind of frenemy to the crew, but the idea of him joining would be such a crazy 180 with his character that I don't see it happening.
Post automatically merged:

Honestly I think the biggest point in favor of Bonney joining the crew is that, according to the Vivre cards, her crew is currently trapped in Impel Down. She's wanted by the World Government so I feel like she'll be sticking with the Strawhats in the foreseeable future

Last edited: