Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
The Devil Fruit number theory was disproven when Luffy’s devil fruit was revealed to be the Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Nika
This is nonsense because Luffy still calls his fruit Gomu Gomu even awakened. Oda has acknowledged the theory and never denied it.

We need to stop making up arbitrary rules on these things. The fact its, it still works for original names at this point in the story

This is nonsense because Luffy still calls his fruit Gomu Gomu even awakened. Oda has acknowledged the theory and never denied it.

We need to stop making up arbitrary rules on these things. The fact its, it still works for original names at this point in the story
Aren’t you making an arbitrary rule saying that this new name disproving the theory doesn’t count because Luffy still happens calls his fruit by the fake WG assigned name?

Last edited:
Aren’t you making an arbitrary rule saying that this new name disproving the theory doesn’t count because Luffy still happens calls his fruit by the fake WG assigned name?
Until Oda or another SBS calls it out, no lol. Oda himself has acknowledged it. He literally has 56 (Gomu) references throughout the series constantly. Why do you think that would ever change

Until Oda or another SBS calls it out, no lol. Oda himself has acknowledged it. He literally has 56 (Gomu) references throughout the series constantly. Why do you think that would ever change
I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree then. But the fact that Oda knows and actually acknowledged the theory in the first place should have been worrying. Oda‘s a notorious troll so I wouldn’t be surprised if he changed Luffy’s DF partially to discredit and troll those theorists.

Last edited:
I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree then. But the fact that Oda knows and actually acknowledged the theory in the first place should have been worrying. Oda‘s a notorious troll so I wouldn’t be surprised if he changed Luffy’s DF partially to discredit and troll those theorists.
...it was from an SBS 12 years ago after Brook joined lol. Why is the "deepstate" thought that complex like "gee, maybe that one theory I addressed in an SBS over a decade ago needs to be scrapped to troll my readers" being implied here?

Its not an idea thats been broken. Brook joined and there were 2 numbers left. Jinbe isnt a fruit user, and its been years since that logic was applied. In fact, its hilarious in hindsight because while Yamato was THIS close to joining, she ended up not doing so. A big conundrum people had was that her fruit name didnt abide by this silly theory, and yet she ended up not not joining in the eleventh hour anyway.

Luffy is still Gomu, his shirts, strawhat fleet, etc all still reference 56 as usual. His fruit having a secret name doesnt change this. You can discredit the theory IF Kuma doesnt survive or doesnt join, not beforehand. All we have is the acknowledgement, not an arbitrary mindset that says Luffy's secret fruit name discredits it.

The fact remains that Kuma, the one living fruit user that fits this theory, has the biggest relationship with the crew bar none. He saved them and their ship. He has ties to their friends and allies. His dream is literally centered around Luffy. His flashback is as long as Chopper's, Franky's, Robin's, Brook's and Jinbe's. And most of all, he's still extremely relevant to the story.

Luffy is still Gomu, his shirts, strawhat fleet, etc all still reference 56 as usual. His fruit having a secret name doesnt change this. You can discredit the theory IF Kuma doesnt survive or doesnt join, not beforehand. All we have is the acknowledgement, not an arbitrary mindset that says Luffy's secret fruit name discredits it.
Lmao There you go again, making up arbitrary rules that this theory can only be discredited if it follows YOUR specific cherry picked criteria and headcanon.

That’s fine though. You’re free to believe whatever you want. After all, it’s just a fan made theory at the end of the day and we all have an agenda.

But for you to cry foul and accuse me of making up arbitrary rules by simply acknowledging that using Luffy’s true devil fruit name, the Hito Hito no Mi Model: Nika, would break the whole (fan made) theory and acting as if you don’t do that shit yourself makes you come off as a massive hypocrite.
:milaugh:
The fact remains that Kuma, the one living fruit user that fits this theory, has the biggest relationship with the crew bar none. He saved them and their ship. He has ties to their friends and allies. His dream is literally centered around Luffy. His flashback is as long as Chopper's, Franky's, Robin's, Brook's and Jinbe's. And most of all, he's still extremely relevant to the story.
Damn, I didn’t know Kin’emon died! I must have missed that chapter.
:jinbewat:

Lmao There you go again, making up arbitrary rules that this theory can only be discredited if it follows YOUR specific cherry picked criteria and headcanon.

That’s fine though. You’re free to believe whatever you want. After all, it’s just a fan made theory at the end of the day and we all have an agenda.

But for you to cry foul and accuse me of making up arbitrary rules by simply acknowledging that using Luffy’s true devil fruit name, the Hito Hito no Mi Model: Nika, would break the whole (fan made) theory and acting as if you don’t do that shit yourself makes you come off as a massive hypocrite.
:milaugh:

Damn, I didn’t know Kin’emon died! I must have missed that chapter.
:jinbewat:
My guy, do you know what burden of proof is? When you argue something, you provide facts to said argument. Right now, the burden is on YOU to tell me why the theory is discredited from the author when he's only acknowledged it from the opposite end. Luffy still refers to his fruit as Gomu, so yes, you cant discredit the number theory because he's not going around calling his fruit Hito Hito or Nika Nika. THAT is in arbitrary rule you are making up against it, because the author has not come out a 2nd time and discredited it. He has only acknowledged it 12 years ago in an SBS.

Kinemon, like Yamato, lost his chance when he didnt join in Wano. Im sorry I forgot about his fruit, he used it literally 3 times onscreen in 450 chapters lmao

You have only given me your opinion on why it doesnt work. I have not only given you my opinion, i have given you proof that the Author has coyly acknowledged it with a character that is still relevant to the story to this day. There is massive difference between who both of these sides to the conversation. You have not given me an instance where the logic is unfeasibly broken by the Author himself.

Hence why I said: wait and see how Egghead ends because Kuma is the subject.
Post automatically merged:

Don't you guys want Kuma to live happy with his daughter outsides of conflicts ?
@Logiko this cant happen until EoS anyway. There is no way Kuma sits by while the rest of the world fights the WG

Last edited:
Number theory sounds nice, but tbqh I see Oda as the type to completely shit on it if he had a good idea. Maybe he cheated a bit with Luffy calling it Gomu-Gomu, but if I'm honest I'm pretty sure Oda doesn't limit himself like that.

He's spent years collecting reference material sure, but I don't know if he started from numbers first and then picked out DFs from the available puns. I think it happened naturally because of how japanese numbers are spoken/spelled. Oda probably replied in shock not because a big secret was revealed, but more because he thought it was a fun coincidence a die hard fan noticed. Especially considering Robin wasn't meant to join originally, and Luffy's true fruit.

I just find it hard to imagine Oda has a schizophrenic set of standards for DFs and Crewmates. Like, why chain yourself to a number system like that.

Number theory sounds nice, but tbqh I see Oda as the type to completely shit on it if he had a good idea. Maybe he cheated a bit with Luffy calling it Gomu-Gomu, but if I'm honest I'm pretty sure Oda doesn't limit himself like that.

He's spent years collecting reference material sure, but I don't know if he started from numbers first and then picked out DFs from the available puns. I think it happened naturally because of how japanese numbers are spoken/spelled. Oda probably replied in shock not because a big secret was revealed, but more because he thought it was a fun coincidence a die hard fan noticed. Especially considering Robin wasn't meant to join originally, and Luffy's true fruit.

I just find it hard to imagine Oda has a schizophrenic set of standards for DFs and Crewmates. Like, why chain yourself to a number system like that.
Because calling 8 of 10 numbers used with no repeats in Japanese Phonetics is highly unlikely to be a coincidence. For a native japanese man, it probably wasnt hard to come up with these powers and name constraints. If it were, he had no reason to reply the way he did and instead should have just called it a coincidence. The fact is that same person called out Kuma in the question, to which he acts nervous in this response, but it was far harder to take it seriously at the time because Kuma was:

A) Singlehandedly able to wreck the crew
B) Seemed like an enemy or "dead" character for years.

This only got revived when it was clear his memories werent permanently gone, and now his flashback heavily highlights a very different character than initially perceived.

Also just think of Kuma's powers overall. Of all the things referenced, its odd that reflective powers are based on a bear/paw motif, but Oda specifically developed that power that way, as if he wanted his power to be named "Nikyu" or "Paw" on purpose, and not "reflection" or "shockwaves"

Because calling 8 of 10 numbers used with no repeats in Japanese Phonetics is highly unlikely to be a coincidence. For a native japanese man, it probably wasnt hard to come up with these powers and name constraints. If it were, he had no reason to reply the way he did and instead should have just called it a coincidence. The fact is that same person called out Kuma in the question, to which he acts nervous in this response, but it was far harder to take it seriously at the time because Kuma was:

A) Singlehandedly able to wreck the crew
B) Seemed like an enemy or "dead" character for years.

This only got revived when it was clear his memories werent permanently gone, and now his flashback heavily highlights a very different character than initially perceived.

Also just think of Kuma's powers overall. Of all the things referenced, its odd that reflective powers are based on a bear/paw motif, but Oda specifically developed that power that way, as if he wanted his power to be named "Nikyu" or "Paw" on purpose, and not "reflection" or "shockwaves"
This is an interesting point. To be honest, the name "paw paw" fruit was always bizarre. Reflection or something made much more sense, and paws have nothing at all to do with it. That name makes way more sense if it was just a way to fit Kuma into the strawhat devil fruit naming system. I never thought of that.

If Vivi wants to rejoin the group she certainly needs a great powerup. We already have Usopp, Nami and Chopper, who aren't ready for the NW. Yamato would've been a great addition strengthwise but oh well... I still hope she joins later on. I mean, if Aokiji can freeze the ocean and ride over it with a bicycle then Yamato can do the same and run to wherever the SHs are whenever she wants. She should've explored all of wasted Wano by now :josad:

Have you noticed that in the chapter 1100 Vegapunk only talks about 5 Satellites, he wants to have? And while Oda dedicated each of those 5 Satellite a speech bubble as a reference Vegapunk was making, one reference is missing. And this is the reference towards Shaka.

This is why we can assume that Shaka is no mere Satellite, who came into existance a few years ago, like the others. I bet Oda has something else going on behind the curtain in this regard and there is some juicy history that is going to be revealed soon.

As you know, I think that Shaka and Lucci are some kind of brother-like figures, because they are behaving and thinking the same. And Lucci having history with Shaka would also hint at him having history with Vegapunk. And look again at his epithet: “Massacre weapon”. That fits so well with Kuma’s epithet of a “Human weapon”, because he was “created” by Vegapunk - transformed into one. We know that Vegapunk tried to clone weapons/soldier/heroes before. So, what if he – next to Stussy - ended up with Lucci and Shaka some 24 years ago?

And now, all I want to know is, what Shaka looks like under his helmet.