Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you describe scenarios that would confirm her as a Strawhat vs as an important ally?

I ask because I think Law had the most next nakama esque development possible with Luffy vs Doflamingo, and he's remained "an important ally" instead of an official crew member.
Law’s a bit of an anomaly. He is, in Luffy’s view, a member of his crew. He’s had all the build up of a Strawhat. But for a couple of reasons he won’t join the crew. He’s like a mix of Luffy’s brothers and Vivi in what he means to Luffy.

So really if Yamato gets development like Law got, she will join the crew, because the reasons that stop Law joining (a D, a bit too strong, fellow Worst Gen captain, job too close to Chopper) don’t apply to her.

Really all she needs is for what is already there to be expanded on. Let us see her childhood. Why, despite growing up as Kaido’s daughter, has she rejected him? Why did Oden have such an impact on her? Why does she want to go to sea? Has Oden’s journal and her dream of being Oden given her a reason to need to go to Laugh Tale? What job would she have on the crew?

Then give her a solid bonding moment with Luffy in the fight against Kaido and bam, we have a Strawhat.

On the other hand, if we don’t get a Yamato flashback and instead her and Kaido just quickly go over their past in conversation, and then her and Luffy don’t really bond when he gets back, and her motiviations aren’t expanded any further than we’ve already got, chances are she’s just an ally.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
now is perfect time to start a flashback: luffy is out and the other fights are just offscreen attacks without meaning.
oda can start a long flashback now and will not interrupt anything.
Act 3 might be ending within the next 3 chapters. If that's what Oda has planned, I don't think we'll get a flashback.

I'm hoping that Kaido and Yamato's flashback(s) span(s) more than 3 chapters.

I used to think these were valid reasons stopping Law until Oden was introduced
Oden wasn’t a D though. As things stand, Luffy and Roger will be the only D’s to get to Laugh Tale.

I also don’t really think the situation compares, the Strawhats are the main characters, the Roger Pirates are really just background lore from the past.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
“Looks like Nami with horns” - especially in this latest chapter, I can see a clear difference in the facial structure; Yamato’s chin and jaw are a little sharper, and her eyes aren’t as big. The horns help set them apart, obviously, but they’re looking less and less similar every chapter.

“Just an arc princess” - nobody can point to any other wilting lily (aside from Vivi, who is canonically a former member of the crew) that had even a single panel in their entire section of the story where they stood up to the big baddie. This will be our chance to see Yamato’s real strength, her powers/possible DF transformations, her resolve, and maybe even her CoC. Shirahoshi, Rebecca, and Pudding could fucking NEVER.

“Introduced in a weird way” - still a valid complaint, but it ignores the copious amounts of development/backstory/foreshadowing Yamato has received in roughly 30 chapters. Christ, we already got one flashback with her and the main character’s brother/previous Pirate King’s son, Oda truly cannot telegraph it any harder for those of you who are still in denial. If this battle with Kaido includes another one, I’m gonna start demanding apologies around here.

“Pedro’s will > Oden, Roger, and Ace’s individual and collective wills” - suck my dick and choke on it :kayneshrug:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat myself again - Carrot could easily still join the crew, but there is no way she does so and Yamato doesn’t. Kaido’s kid is leaving Wano with the protagonists regardless of the rabbit.

Oden wasn’t a D though. As things stand, Luffy and Roger will be the only D’s to get to Laugh Tale.

I also don’t really think the situation compares, the Strawhats are the main characters, the Roger Pirates are really just background lore from the past.
Oden died like a D thought and we know the Kozuki had strong ties to the void century. A plot twist of Wano could be the Kozuki clan being part of the D clan

And Oda clearly uses the Roger pirates to draw some parallels. One of the biggest reasons why people though Zoro would get CoC was Rayleigh having it and people were right. Your Roger pirates argument falls apart once we start to pick out the obvious parallels Oda draws between the crews.

It also begs to ask, why give Law a new dream? If he’s not going to achieve it, just have him keep the generic Pirate King dream. Bege was never given a proper dream and he was a great character. The obvious answer to me is just an easy excuse to keep him around.

Similarly inline with that is another issue. Carrot has lacked and continues to lack one vital component that Yamato has had off the jump; a meaningful connection to Luffy. See while Yamato is a certainly a questionable candidate on other fronts one thing she hasn’t lacked is having an actual relationship with the main character. That’s something every other Straw Hat has had before they joined and something a Straw Hat-to-be cannot lack.
Luffy hardly had much of a relationship with Franky. Franky himself was far, far closer to Usopp and Robin than he ever was with Luffy. The only actual bonding moment they had before his joining was Luffy putting his faith in Franky to get back Robin. And Carrot already has something of equal value.
After saving her from Katakuri he put his faith in her, calling out her name specifically in the same breath as the rest of his crew to keep things under control without him.

Also a relationship is more than just a one way thing. Yamao may fantasise about Luffy, but Luffy doesn't particularly care about her or see her as anything more than a strong ally. If Luffy had to pick either Carrot or Yamao to join his crew it would be a no brainer that he'd pick Carrot. She's been travelling and living with him and other straw hats for weeks and they went through WCI together. She's his actual friend, as opposed to a random person who just burst out of nowhere and is saying weird shit about Oden.

Last edited:
It also begs to ask, why give Law a new dream? If he’s not going to achieve it, just have him keep the generic Pirate King dream. Bege was never given a proper dream and he was a great character. The obvious answer to me is just an easy excuse to keep him around.
yamato and momo know the meaning of the D so it is almost confirmed it will be revealed in this arc.
law does not need to go to other arc to find out the will of d.

yamato and momo know the meaning of the D so it is almost confirmed it will be revealed in this arc.
law does not need to go to other arc to find out the will of d.
We have no idea if they actually do and I would argue that narratively, it makes no sense for them
to do.

The void century is tied to D mystery, and likely Joy Boy’s identity. We will probably find out all of that in a single flashback

We have no idea if they actually do and I would argue that narratively, it makes no sense for them
to do.

The void century is tied to D mystery, and likely Joy Boy’s identity. We will probably find out all of that in a single flashback
oden diary revealed it. it is clear from this scene she knows what it means:

roger told shirohige what the d means so it makes sense oden knew too

oden diary revealed it. it is clear from this scene she knows what it means:

roger told shirohige what the d means so it makes sense oden knew too
It could easily be a reference to meeting another pirate like Roger who was a D. We’ve already seen some of Odens journal, one part says that there will be a large group of pirates who will arrive at Wano and beat Kaido.

If Yamato is joining she’s not going to be knowing all these spoilers, it will severely water down the actual discovery.

H

humanbeing

Luffy gets many big names on the ship:
Law is already like a crew member he is acts like a strawhat alread.
Marco like the strawhats , he for sure would want to fight against the BBPs , if Luffy asked him to join he will.
Yamato already asked Luffy to take her with him.
Momo and Tama are without doubt the next cabin boy and girl. and they already taking part in a war.

Status
Not open for further replies.