Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Since I mentioned a while back that at this moment in time there are no reasonable suggestions for where Carrot could actually go if she doesn't join the crew, I'll at least provide my own idea for Yamao post Wano.

I always thought about the opening of Wano's borders as a single event. Something that would be done at the end of Wano and then that would be it. But after understanding more about the dawn and looking at the actual purpose of Wano opening its borders, it's more about working with others and cooperating instead of doing things solo (something that ties back into Oden's character).

So whilst the physical borders will be open by the end of the arc, outsiders won't just automatically start flooding in, as if by magic. Wano still would've been isolated from the rest of the world for 800 years. It would have no connections, regardless of the status of the borders. And so after first opening the borders, Wano needs to further reestablish its bonds with the outside world. Momo as both the shogun of Wano and a Kozuki is really the only one for the job.

I see Momo's first role after Wano to be to travel to other nations, reconnect severed bonds and to ask for their aid in the fight against the WG. I think Yamao will be Momo's guardian in this journey. But what would be the point in any of this happening? Multiple reasons:

1. Prove Momo's worth as a shogun by personally taking up the task of reconnecting Wano
2. Show the people of Wano that they need not be afraid of the outside world
3. Explain why Yamao thinks Momo will guide the world to the dawn
4. Show Momo not blaming Yamao for her father's sins like Wano citizens did before (the main thing that led to Orochi and Kanjuro becoming villains)
5. It would combat Wano's sexism by having a woman as his guardian
6. It would allow Yamao to be her own person whilst still carrying out Oden's will
7. Yamao could protect Momo like she swore she would die to do if necessary
8. Yamao can travel and explore by visiting many different nations
9. Yamao and Momo can make proper use of Oden's journal through encouraging nations on why they should fight
10. It gives them both an active role in the series post Wano

Tama might even leave with them too since just like Yamao, after bonding with Ace she too wanted to travel out to sea. In addition she's also expressed a desire to protect Momo and longs to be a ninja, a combat position. Whilst she'd be a liability in a fight against the BB pirates like the straw hats will be going into, on a mission like the one I proposed her powers would be very versatile and useful. There are also the theories of her being a kurozumi so who knows. Many of the points for Yamao also apply for her. Meanwhile the scabbards who are battered from the decades of hard service can relax by having the easier responsibility of rebuilding and protecting Wano, entrusting Momo to Yamao whilst they're on their expedition.

Feel free to point out the things I may have overlooked.
I think this is a good argument. It's a plausible scenario and one I can see happening. The possibility of a scenario like this has made me slightly revise down my confidence in Yamato leaving aboard Luffy's ship.

I don't have any arguments against the scenario itself, I just don't think it's that likely.

Ultimately, Yamato's interactions with Momonosuke have underscored her interactions with Luffy:
  • Luffy is the one who asked her to protect Momonosuke.
  • She spent most of her time with Momonosuke fangirling over Luffy and Ace.
  • She repeatedly asked Momo how Luffy was doing.
  • She abandoned Momo to assist Luffy.

Her development with Momonosuke was essentially three components:
  • An opportunity for Yamato to accept her own identity as Yamato and not Oden
  • Handing him Oden's journal
  • A vehicle to flesh out her idolisation/worship/friendship of Luffy and Ace
    • This was given an inordinate amount of panel time.

Ultimately, Yamato's story prioritising Momonosuke over Luffy is one that I cannot see.

If Yamato is to leave Wano, with anyone, I think it would be Luffy.

Of the many pirates in Onigashima, Luffy:
  • Is the one she's been waiting for
    • She believes that his arrival on Onigashima is fate.
  • Is the only one she's had any interactions with
  • Is the one she asked to let her aboard their crew
  • Is the one who freed her from her shackles
  • Is the younger brother of her first friend
    • Said friend "saved" her by removing the shackles binding her heart.
    • Said friend wanted to recruit her but could not because of her physical shackles.
    • Said friend promised to come back for her, but died before they could meet again.

I've already written extensively on Yamato's development with Luffy and Ace, so I wouldn't rehash it here.

Ultimately, I still think it's much more likely that Yamato leaves with Luffy than Momonosuke, but you've presented a scenario in which Yamato leaves with Momonosuke that I think is serviceable.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
YAmato doesn't fit as a Nakama, he'll be most likely the new Lola...
Why doesn't Yamato fit as nakama?

If he goes with the Strawhats, he will be an Oden 2.0, and the story that surrounds him isn't about being a new Oden, but in fact it's about being himself. His conclusion shouldn't be an Oden 2.0 XDXD
This is true I guess. And yet, Oda seems to be writing Yamato as following a journey with Luffy that mirrors Oden's with Whitebeard/Roger.

It's even worst what you're saying, THe Strawhats shouldn't have a VIcecaptain XDXD
Why not? Roger had a Right Hand Man/Firstmate.

Yamato has no Role XD
She can be the "combatant". Even if Zoro doesn't become the Vice Captain, she can be the secondary combatant.

But I don't actually think having a distinct role is a must for a character to join the crew. The Strawhats survived for most of the New World without Jimbe, and I see no reason they couldn't make it to Raftel without him.

A distinctive and useful role isn't necessary; if Oda wants a character to join, he'll invent a role for them. A few examples:
  • He can make Yamato the chronicler of the Strawhats journey.
  • He can make her their brewer (pirates need their alcohol).

He can give Yamato any role he wants for her to join the crew. The presence or lack of a role doesn't determine whether a character joins the crew or not.

YAmato doesn't fit as a Nakama, he'll be most likely the new Lola...
If he goes with the Strawhats, he will be an Oden 2.0, and the story that surrounds him isn't about being a new Oden, but in fact it's about being himself. His conclusion shouldn't be an Oden 2.0 XDXD

It's even worst what you're saying, THe Strawhats shouldn't have a VIcecaptain XDXD
Yamato has no Role XD
*She

There is a Golden Rule in nakama patterns in One Piece.
No actual Crewmate boarded the ship without the invitation being brought in the first interaction on the ship by Luffy or the Crewmate themselves.
It is a set pattern that if a person travels on the ship without the discussion of invitation, they do not join the crew. The same thing happened with even Vivi.

So the only person having a chance to become a Crewmate is Yamato.

There is a Golden Rule in nakama patterns in One Piece.
No actual Crewmate boarded the ship without the invitation being brought in the first interaction on the ship by Luffy or the Crewmate themselves.
It is a set pattern that if a person travels on the ship without the discussion of invitation, they do not join the crew. The same thing happened with even Vivi.

So the only person having a chance to become a Crewmate is Yamato.
Robin, twice.

But Yamato asked Luffy to let her aboard his crew:

Just as Robin did before her.

And Nami before Robin.
But LuL, is "forcing" Luffy to travel with her/him just because he is Ace's brother XDXD

The Robin excuse was Logic because she got saved because of Luffy's decission, so her Llife "belonged" to Luffy...

Yamato is saying "Just because you've borned as my friend's brother, you must take me on board", and that goes against Luffy's freedom...

Later we discover that he/She knows about Luffy's "Destiny", and for me that's even worst...
Carrot knows about Luffy being the guy wich will bring the Dawn to the world because of Pedro, and she doesn't understand this thing...Meanwhile Yamato knows of it because of Oden, and is really sure Luffy is the Choosen one...So He/She want's to join him because of his destiny... That IMO, (I respect your opinion btw XD) isn't good for a Nakama, even worst if we consider she/he does know about him more than any of the crew, seeng how He/SHe knows about Lufy's real Dream XDXD

I genuinely do not understand this. Why do you think Yamato is not a legitimate candidate to join the crew?
  • She asked Luffy to let her onboard
  • She's been the focus of Onigashima since her introduction:
    • There have been 5 chapters that had titles named after her or her actions/behaviour in the chapter.
      • Yes, I've gone through every chapter she's appeared in.
    • Compare her prominence and dominance in the plot to Carrot's lack thereof.
  • She's had extensive interactions with Luffy:
    • She rescued Luffy from Ulti.
    • She fought Luffy until he agreed to listen to her.
    • She shared her life story with Luffy.
    • She asked Luffy to let her onboard his crew.
    • Luffy freed her from her prison of 20 years.
    • She spent several chapters running around together with Luffy.
    • Luffy entrusted her to protect Momonosuke.
    • Luffy gave her a pet nickname.
    • She actually bonded with Luffy.
  • She's had an extensive back story with Ace
    • It spans three chapters from the end of 998 to the middle of 1000.
    • Ace wanted to take her out to sea, but she had to decline because of the shackles that bound her.
      • Luffy did what Ace could not do and removed her shackles.
  • As for her role she could be the "combatant".
  • She fits really strongly, the pattern of the third recruit:
I understand not wanting Yamato to join.
I understand thinking that Carrot is more likely to join than Yamato.
I understand thinking that Yamato is ultimately more likely not to join than to join.

I disagree with all the above but I understand them.

What I don't understand β€” what I cannot fathom β€” is how you can read the 30+ chapters since Yamato was first introduced and conclude that she's not even a real contender for the next Nakama?

I really don't get it. If you're willing to explain, I'd like to hear why you think Yamato is ineligible.
I told you don't argue with them. They are too much into furry tits of carrot

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
I don’t remember the exact words nami used but Robin said β€œlet me join your crew”

β€œYou should be giving me a ride on your ship” is intentionally vague and not the same as what Robin asked, which is why I’m skeptical of it
Meh, I think this is motivated scepticism; you don't want Yamato to join the crew and so you interpret her words in a way that permits you to claim that she didn't explicitly ask to become a Strawhat.

Yamato asked Luffy to let her aboard his ship. I don't think Oda put that much thought into whether Yamato was really asking to be accepted into the crew or not.

I think the reason for Yamato's wording is to mimic Oden's; Oden asked Whitebeard to let him aboard his ship and so Yamato asked Luffy to let her aboard his.

Regardless though, Yamato's not going to be mistaken for Nami:
  • She's more than twice Nami's height.
  • She has horns.
  • She has a very different hairstyle:
    • Her hair becomes darker half way down
  • She has a very different fashion sense from Nami.
  • She is often accompanied by her Kanabo.
  • She has a very different personality.

She's different enough from Nami, that she's not really Nami with Horns.
Agree with most of your points, but for the bolded part: we don't know this yet.

Wano is Japanese centralized arc, so it's expected that Yamao made her debut wearing some Japanese style clothing. Well, Nami does too right now.
But assumes she is joining and next arc is not Japanese centralized arc anymore, we don't know what kind of clothes she prefers to wear.

But difference in body height, hair color, and if Oda doesn't magically hide her big kanebo in her casual appearance, then yes she is visually different than Nami.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Agree with most of your points, but for the bolded part: we don't know this yet.

Wano is Japanese centralized arc, so it's expected that Yamao made her debut wearing some Japanese style clothing. Well, Nami does too right now.
But assumes she is joining and next arc is not Japanese centralized arc anymore, we don't know what kind of clothes she prefers to wear.

But difference in body height, hair color, and if Oda doesn't magically hide her big kanebo in her casual appearance, then yes she is visually different than Nami.
Yamato's current clothing is a mimicry of Oden's? Especially the rope on her back and all.

Even when we leave Wano, she may keep it (as Oden did on Whitebeard's ship) or get some new clothes. Either way, she wouldn't be dressing in the same feminine manner that Nami does.

Yamato's current clothing is a mimicry of Oden's? Especially the rope on her back and all.

Even when we leave Wano, she may keep it (as Oden did on Whitebeard's ship) or get some new clothes. Either way, she wouldn't be dressing in the same feminine manner that Nami does.
She might actually just dress like a tomboy like character. I can see Nami, Robin, and Yamato shopping at the mall. Yamato getting really annoyed by that.

Last edited:

Point is, as soon as she drops her trash Oden cosplaying, we don't know yet what she likes to wear on daily / casual times. Probably gonna be like Nami or Robin. Nami and Robin don't dress that differently neither.

Yamato was already dressed like ""Oden"" in the flashback, before the execution LuL

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐒𝐫𝐒𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐑𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
β€Ž
Point is, as soon as she drops her trash Oden cosplaying, we don't know yet what she likes to wear on daily / casual times. Probably gonna be like Nami or Robin. Nami and Robin don't dress that differently neither.
She's been trying to mimic Oden since she was 8, she probably doesn't have an independent fashion sense.

But regardless, feminine clothes don't fit her personality. I can't imagine Oda dressing her up similarly to Nami/Robin.

Status
Not open for further replies.