General & Others Oda admits everything before now was filler

When you open with "Einstein", and proceed to try and lecture me that setup and filler are mutually exclusive, when we all know there is a hidden agenda behind your usage of the word "filler" here, then you will be met with the same condescending tone. You're clearly using the word to get a rise out of people, when nothing in Odas comment suggests it. Filler is what the anime does, and it has absolutely fuck all to do with the overall story of the manga it is adapting. Sure Oda said you can start reading the story here, but the trade off is you won't get the same pay off of the big reveals by experiencing the setup of everything he's been building towards. You can start now, learn all the big mysteries and reveals, and that's fine in his eyes, because that's what he's been wanting to show to his readers for decades. That is not him saying "yeah all that other crap is filler, it doesn't matter", which is what you're trying to suggest here.

This thread is trying to be a "ha ha, the author said you all wasted your time." mocking of the fandom. These people are all agreeing with you, not even realizing that you are mocking them, not Oda.

For me, I know I didn't waste my time. I've had a blast experiencing this story from the beginning. I've loved making all the theories I have, reading other people's theories, the debates, and meeting all the people who share the same passion along the way. The story has had its up and downs, highs and lows, and is not perfect, but it's been a hell of a ride, and I've enjoyed every second of it. You gotta take the bad with the good. Not take all the bad, and act like it should cancel out all the great moments this series has given us.
I opened with "Einstein" because you said, "that isn't how story fucking works" so I am returning the toxic behavior right back at ya Mr. Hypocrite.

Filler doesn't just apply to the anime dude, it can also apply to the manga. Stalling for 10 chapters by having Luffy running up the stairs so that Oda can reach his 1000 chapter is filler. Manga filler does exist dude and Oda is by far the king of it.

Also, Oda said that because it is clearly a sales pitch dude, stop trying to reword it into something it isn't. Oda is trying to get as many people to buy his manga as possible. It has nothing to do with anything other than him and his team to get as much sales as possible.

If I knew One Piece was going to end up like this where Oda was milking his story and baiting his readers which is one of the most disrespectful things a writer can do and adding 90% filler to every post time skip arc I wouldn't have wasted 12 years reading this crap manga. One Piece is a generic low level, lazy written manga that uses the same cut and paste formula every arc because Oda knows he maxed out the story 500 chapters ago. Yonko saga was 400 chapters of filler.

Readers sat through 150 chapters so that they can see this?
A fucking half panel of the central figure of Wano since Punk Hazard, like wtf is this crap? Dude wasted our time with the Scabbards and Wano.

Last edited:
B

Ballel

When you open with "Einstein", and proceed to try and lecture me that setup and filler are mutually exclusive, when we all know there is a hidden agenda behind your usage of the word "filler" here, then you will be met with the same condescending tone. You're clearly using the word to get a rise out of people, when nothing in Odas comment suggests it. Filler is what the anime does, and it has absolutely fuck all to do with the overall story of the manga it is adapting. Sure Oda said you can start reading the story here, but the trade off is you won't get the same pay off of the big reveals by experiencing the setup of everything he's been building towards. You can start now, learn all the big mysteries and reveals, and that's fine in his eyes, because that's what he's been wanting to show to his readers for decades. That is not him saying "yeah all that other crap is filler, it doesn't matter", which is what you're trying to suggest here.

This thread is trying to be a "ha ha, the author said you all wasted your time." mocking of the fandom. These people are all agreeing with you, not even realizing that you are mocking them, not Oda.

For me, I know I didn't waste my time. I've had a blast experiencing this story from the beginning. I've loved making all the theories I have, reading other people's theories, the debates, and meeting all the people who share the same passion along the way. The story has had its up and downs, highs and lows, and is not perfect, but it's been a hell of a ride, and I've enjoyed every second of it. You gotta take the bad with the good. Not take all the bad, and act like it should cancel out all the great moments this series has given us.
I opened with "Einstein" because you said, "that isn't how story fucking works" so I am returning the toxic behavior right back at ya Mr. Hypocrite.

Filler doesn't just apply to the anime dude, it can also apply to the manga. Stalling for 10 chapters by having Luffy running up the stairs so that Oda can reach his 1000 chapter is filler. Manga filler does exist dude and Oda is by far the king of it.

Also, Oda said that because it is clearly a sales pitch dude, stop trying to reword it into something it isn't. Oda is trying to get as many people to buy his manga as possible. It has nothing to do with anything other than him and his team to get as much sales as possible.

If I knew One Piece was going to end up like this where Oda was milking his story and baiting his readers which is one of the most disrespectful things a writer can do and adding 90% filler to every post time skip arc I wouldn't have wasted 12 years reading this crap manga. One Piece is a generic low level, lazy written manga that uses the same cut and paste formula every arc because Oda knows he maxed out the story 500 chapters ago. Yonko saga was 400 chapters of filler.

A fucking half panel of the central figure of Wano since Punk Hazard, like wtf is this crap? Dude wasted our time with the Scabbards and Wano.
Oh
Why can there not be peace between us humans?
When does the fighting stop?
Do we have to live, our hearts filled with hatred, until all our blood is spilled?
:pepehands:

The word was used to place emphasis on the statement. Did I use the word directed at you in a derogatory way? Nope....
What is toxic behavior about it? Cause it's a "swear" word? I tone that shit down online, but irl, cursing is part of my main vocabulary, because I use it to emphasis things. Didn't think it would offend you, when it wasn't directed at you, so my bad.

There is many different layers of storytelling going on when it comes to One Piece. If all you're focused on is the fantasy aspects of how the arcs are constructed to be similar in fashion, then I don't know what to tell you. I can't teach you read the underlying tones, themes and messages that are constructed for every arc. Nor will I break them down for you. But if you want to educate yourself, you can go and watch TotallyNotMarks reviews of the series, cause he breaks all that stuff down by arc. But I doubt you will, because it seems that you just don't want to like One Piece for whatever reason, which is why you pick the most inconsequential shit to complain about, and use it to push the agenda that One Piece sucks..... Like I said, there is good and bad when it comes to this series, just like any other series. You're only focused on the negative. You hate it. That's fine. But your opinion on the matter isn't law, and there's way more people out there who the love the series, because they take the good and the bad in together, and understand that the good, far outweighs the bad.

He's simply stating to readers discouraged by the length of One Piece (common problem), that it's fine to start reading at the final saga point - as that's when the actual groundbreaking lore and "One Piece" (the title of the story) will be revealed. Many people know One Piece and perhaps are curious to know what it is, but believe they do not have the time to do so.

By watching the final saga - end, they will feel inclined to catch up from the beginning to experience more depth from the characters and realise their unanswered questions = more manga sales. It's a genius market strategy.

Other than that really, it just served to hype up the final saga - as Oda is saying in the final saga, more groundbreaking important stuff is revealed than ever before in the series.

bruh you guys take advertising too seriously. No wonder you idiots really believed Oda when he said " idk how Luffy will defeat kaido!"
But in fairness, on that one he almost seemed to acknowledge how fucking boring it would be to end the fight just like he always ends it, and then just proceeded anyway