General & Others Oda Isn’t a Good Writer According to Pixar

My guy, the only pixar move I ever watched was Incredibles and I didn't even know they made Incredibles. Pixar was not the point of my thread. You maybe right, that Pixars have incompetent writers but that isn't the point. The point is the list itself. I liked the list because I like to learn what makes a good story and the basic fundamental rules a writer must follow hence the thread. If you disagree with that then argue the points, not the messenger.
Post automatically merged:

@Blackbeard the reason for the thread is because I just like to learn the fundamental rules writers follow in order to make a good story. But I do agree with your point about the cult Redditers you mentioned
Then search for Tolkin,GRRM,Shakespeare,Dostoiesvkie...the authors of classics,not Pixar!
One Piece will achieve classical manga status just like Dragon Ball!

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
Pixar has 22 rules of writing which they believe is necessary when they write their scripts and Oda breaks almost every rule lmfao:
  1. You admire a character for trying more than for their successes.
  2. Keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be very different.
  3. Trying for theme is important, however you won’t see what the story is actually about until you’re at the end of that story. Now rewrite.
  4. Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
  5. Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
  6. What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
  7. Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
  8. Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
  9. When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
  10. Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
  11. Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
  12. Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
  13. Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
  14. Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
  15. If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
  16. What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
  17. No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on – it’ll come back around to be useful later.
  18. You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
  19. Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
  20. Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
  21. You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
  22. What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
Interesting list, here's my objective view of each item:

1. Try-hard should be Luffy's middle name
2. Oda fail
3. The ending is allegedly already known
4. Not sure if this works in non linear stories like OP
5. Oda fail
6. Oda pass/fail mix
7. See 3
8. See 3
9. Oda fail. Wrote himself in a corner with how to beat BM/Kaido. Other then that we don't know when he's stuck.
10. No idea what he thinks
11. We don't find out what he's thinking until after the fact (SBS, Databook, etc.)
12. No idea what he thinks
13. Oda fail
14. I think we get the gist of this
15. Oda fail-ish (every person thinks differently when put in specific situations)
16. Oda fail
17. Oda fail, plot holes and incomplete narratives
18. I'm sure he knows himself
19. Oda fail
20. See 11
21. See 15
22. Oda fail-ish

The only rule that is actually important in this list is this one.
"Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating."
Oda is doing the exact opposite, he makes great reasons for characters to get into trouble, but uses "pure luck and coincidence" to get them out of it.
Jesus Luffy,man!
Luffy's luck never runs out as stated by Hawkins in Sabaody!

These rules are meant for movie scripts, right?

I think a lot of people forget that One Piece is a weekly manga that has been ongoing for more than 20 years.

If One Piece is a movie script or a novel that doesn't have weekly deadlines and hasn't been ongoing for 20 years+, I'm pretty sure Oda would've done a better job.

Does Pixar have a successful weekly series that has been ongoing for more than two decades with only one writer?

:gonope:

I think it is wrong to compare with Pixar's motto. Movie is very competitive industry. You need to invest tons of money, have creative and compelling story, and make sure it capture people hearts in a very short timeframe.

For One Piece, people have already invested in the story for decades and it has become part of their life. Oda and Shonen now are just milking money from them as much as possible. In fact, if Luffy has asspull and beat Big Meme and Kaido in the next chapter, most of reader will still follow the manga likes a cult. If readers just start reading OP in Wano without prior emotional connect, I am certain that they'd throw away this manga to the bin.

Right. Because Pixar decides the standard. Pixar produces the greatest stories in the world. Pixar is God.
Lol, this is one thing I find ridiculous......it is as if there is only one right way to do things and all others are wrong....who set this bullshit rules....this kind of people are really funny.....they feel that everything they say or follow is the only way one should do things.......narcissist tendencies....:suresure:

You don't need to read any of these rules to realize that Oda's Wano writing has been unfathomably terrible dogshit that he's been shoving down the audience’s throat.

That doesn't bother me at the slightest now, the issue is with those obsessed chimpanzee Redditors drooling over Oda's dick telling you to quit reading since their IQ is not high enough to realize that OP is a commercial product, you sell shit you get shit reviews. That's perfectly normal when you invite criticism upon yourself after trumpeting about Wano being hype just to deliver the garbage we're witnessing now lol.
Exactly what I've been thinking. Don't get me wrong, I love one piece but off late it's been real shitty. I don't get hyped about it anymore, I'm not particularly bothered when I haven't read the latest chapter, etc. Moments which Oda thinks are supposed to be funny, or hype, or cool are just terrible.
And sometimes I genuinely wonder if some people in this forum are really kids cos their replies are shocking. I could care less where the list is from. What matters is as I read through it I found myself agreeing with most of their points cos they highlighted the exact reasons I think one piece is crap lately. I mean, this is a war with no tension whatsoever. But for some reason, the replies to this are, "fuck pixar... Goda is perfect... How dare you criticise Oda for this masterpiece...etc"
I've read a lot of manga and I still do think Oda's the best, but he's not perfect.... And with how he's going right now, he might even lose the top spot on my list

Pixar has 22 rules of writing which they believe is necessary when they write their scripts and Oda breaks almost every rule lmfao:
  2. Keep in mind what’s interesting to you as an audience, not what’s fun to do as a writer. They can be very different.
  3. Trying for theme is important, however you won’t see what the story is actually about until you’re at the end of that story. Now rewrite.
  4. Once upon a time there was ___. Every day, ___. One day ___. Because of that, ___. Because of that, ___. Until finally ___.
  5. Simplify. Focus. Combine characters. Hop over detours. You’ll feel like you’re losing valuable stuff but it sets you free.
  6. What is your character good at, comfortable with? Throw the polar opposite at them. Challenge them. How do they deal?
  7. Come up with your ending before you figure out your middle. Seriously. Endings are hard, get yours working up front.
  8. Finish your story, let go even if it’s not perfect. In an ideal world you have both, but move on. Do better next time.
  9. When you’re stuck, make a list of what WOULDN’T happen next. Lots of times the material to get you unstuck will show up.
  10. Pull apart the stories you like. What you like in them is a part of you; you’ve got to recognize it before you can use it.
  11. Putting it on paper lets you start fixing it. If it stays in your head, a perfect idea, you’ll never share it with anyone.
  12. Discount the 1st thing that comes to mind. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th – get the obvious out of the way. Surprise yourself.
  13. Give your characters opinions. Passive/malleable might seem likable to you as you write, but it’s poison to the audience.
  14. Why must you tell THIS story? What’s the belief burning within you that your story feeds off of? That’s the heart of it.
  15. If you were your character, in this situation, how would you feel? Honesty lends credibility to unbelievable situations.
  16. What are the stakes? Give us reason to root for the character. What happens if they don’t succeed? Stack the odds against.
  17. No work is ever wasted. If it’s not working, let go and move on – it’ll come back around to be useful later.
  18. You have to know yourself: the difference between doing your best & fussing. Story is testing, not refining.
  19. Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating.
  20. Exercise: take the building blocks of a movie you dislike. How d’you rearrange them into what you DO like?
  21. You gotta identify with your situation/characters, can’t just write ‘cool’. What would make YOU act that way?
  22. What’s the essence of your story? Most economical telling of it? If you know that, you can build out from there.
I respect Pixar more than Oda ... when they made me cry over a ship dying

Lmao this is amazing. Rule 2! Oda creating stupid goofy characters and situations because it's fun to draw.

Rule 19 LOL