Character Discussion Oda's failure with Kaido

Wano being worse than WCI is revisionist history cause i said so /s

But yeah the damage to the story done by Wano arc really seems to be permanent and i'm mostly continuing for the sake of finishing this long ass commitment.
I disagree, for someone who has read and hated WCI and Wano arcs, the third act of Wano was just like the second half of WCI but in even worse.

And yes Wano caused permanent damage, though WCI could be seen as a warning or prologue to what was coming for One Piece story.

I tried to come back for Egghead with renewed hopes, after I return to One Piece and read Wano after WCI; but a part of me always remains cynical about the manga this time with me fearing for the manga to fall back to its demons.

I don’t think anything was bad about him. He was great from start to finish on the other hand his crew wasn’t as great. There’s nothing wrong with a villain who is just bad for the fucks of it. We don’t always need some insane backstory of the world shutting off a character which turned him evil.
Big moms crew is better bigger and cooler
Post automatically merged:

Adding Big meme to the arc was a big mistake

It could just have been Smoothie, Perospero and Mont d' Or

I believe now an author not caring about power-level should be treated as detrimental and not beneficial.
Not caring about the consistency or the credibility of the threat that your antagonists are supposed to be is a huge flaw as a writer. While Kaido's power and credibility remained mostly the same, despite moments of stupidity and his durability being devaluated by having the Scabbards and Momonosuke able to injure him when they shouldn't have been, the way he handled and treated Big Mom was a pure and cringeworthy disaster.

Not caring about the consistency or the credibility of the threat that your antagonists are supposed to be is a huge flaw as a writer. While Kaido's power and credibility remained mostly the same, despite moments of stupidity and his durability being devaluated by having the Scabbards and Momonosuke able to injure him when they shouldn't have been, the way he handled and treated Big Mom was a pure and cringeworthy disaster.
the scabbards are strong. momo in dragon form is strong. why shouldnt they be able to hurt kaido

do people not remember that kinemon's headless torso low diffed brook? theyre all strong. not as strong as sanji or zoro or luffy but they're stronger than half the straw hats.

the scabbards are strong. momo in dragon form is strong. why shouldnt they be able to hurt kaido

do people not remember that kinemon's headless torso low diffed brook? theyre all strong. not as strong as sanji or zoro or luffy but they're stronger than half the straw hats.
Not enough reasons to justify them being able of harming someone who had been presented as nearly-indestructible, especially not Momonosuke who had no training or experience to justify him being able of harming Kaido nor of fighting an admiral later.

Kaku loves giraffes, is obsessed with giraffes, and is probably the most likely person out there to awaken the giraffe fruit. Kaido is intentionally doing the opposite of the stuff his devil fruit symbolizes, so he'll never align his mind with his df and awaken.
Doing his yamakaze thing he'd float over Water Seven shouting, "if only I was a fuckin giraaaaaaffe wheeeee"

Base Kaido gets one shot killed by the highest end move of any top tier
The fact that he was introduced as an immortal being is the biggest writing flop in OP maybe, he did not know what to do with Kaido it was all over the place. If Kaido wanted to kill himself he could've done it a thousand ways

Base Kaido gets one shot killed by the highest end move of any top tier
The fact that he was introduced as an immortal being is the biggest writing flop in OP maybe, he did not know what to do with Kaido it was all over the place. If Kaido wanted to kill himself he could've done it a thousand ways
Though it wasn't good how he devaluated Kaido's durability after presenting him as nearly-indestructible. Making the Nine Scabbards, and even worse Momonosuke, be able of injuring Kaido was a bad move.

You are totally right here, BM was an even bigger failure because even tho her character depth was much better that Kaido, Oda's gag habits made most of the fans to "hate" her.

In fact she ended up in 86th place in the same poll.
Oda failed with both of them.
Yup, surprisingly even though people say I'm a yonko hater or something. I think her character, if you remove the gag, is superbly done. And the post-rooftop non-sense with her was ehh.

The gag was fine in WCI, since it accomplished the goal of presenting her as an unstoppable hulk type monster in the form a witch from Disney.

In contrast to her depth, Kaido is just extremely bland. Shanks arguably is getting more depth as an emperor of the sea than Kaido, despite not even getting arc focus yet. Whitebeard, Big Mom, and Blackbeard to me are what truly represent the "Emperor" title as it was originally introduced in the series, and what makes an emperor scary... their sphere of influence.

Nah dawgs I think Kaido was pretty cool wtf you talking about he didn't have a failure

Kaido's only failure was having a warrior mentality

Which isn't really a failure if you think about it

He let himself get hit because it wasn't honorable to avoid it after everything that happened

That warrior mentality also explains why he didn't just kill Luffy those bunch of times he knocked him out

It's because he wanted a good fight out of him

Then he got one and he died

He got his wish. His dream came true. He met Joy Boy.

All of that shit makes sense

You are totally right here, BM was an even bigger failure because even tho her character depth was much better that Kaido, Oda's gag habits made most of the fans to "hate" her.

In fact she ended up in 86th place in the same poll.
Oda failed with both of them.
Indeed.

It's obvious that a combination of Big Mom being too strong for the Straw Hats and their allies and thus needing to find excuses to stop her from massacring them, his inability to find better reasons to justify the Straw Hats and co's survival and/or escape from her, Oda's incredibly weird sense of humor and his sexism, as well as him trying to find an excuse to remove her as an antagonist in Wano (a disastrous decision in itself) are what led to this incredibly cringe and frustrating fiasco with her in the second half of WCI and during all of Wano where Big Mom wasn't treated at all as the extremely powerful character and very real threat she should have been, save for her clash with Kaido and her very few feats against his lieutnants.

As for Kaido, Oda actually delivered with his powers and feats. It's with his personality, his relations and dynamics with his crew and other pirates and the marines, as well as his history and his empire outside of Wano with him surely having at least dozens of islands under his rule and fleets outside of Wano, his decision to make everything about Wano and Orochi serving as the mastermind and more active antagonist of the two that Oda failed Kaido.

Treating Big Mom better and more as the Yonko she was and a legitimately huge and scary threat and keeping her away from Wano, while detailling more Kaido's backstory and personality, his dynamics with his All-Stars and Flying Fighters as well as with Rocks D. Xebec in his youth and the rest of the Rocks Pirates, exploring his empire and forces outside of Wano and also making him the active antagonist and mastermind of the Beast Pirates would have been far better story and more beneficial to both characters than the huge disasters we have gotten instead.

Indeed.

It's obvious that a combination of Big Mom being too strong for the Straw Hats and their allies and thus needing to find excuses to stop her from massacring them, his inability to find better reasons to justify the Straw Hats and co's survival and/or escape from her, Oda's incredibly weird sense of humor and his sexism, as well as him trying to find an excuse to remove her as an antagonist in Wano (a disastrous decision in itself) are what led to this incredibly cringe and frustrating fiasco with her in the second half of WCI and during all of Wano where Big Mom wasn't treated at all as the extremely powerful character and very real threat she should have been, save for her clash with Kaido and her very few feats against his lieutnants.

As for Kaido, Oda actually delivered with his powers and feats. It's with his personality, his relations and dynamics with his crew and other pirates and the marines, as well as his history and his empire outside of Wano with him surely having at least dozens of islands under his rule and fleets outside of Wano, his decision to make everything about Wano and Orochi serving as the mastermind and more active antagonist of the two that Oda failed Kaido.

Treating Big Mom better and more as the Yonko she was and a legitimately huge and scary threat and keeping her away from Wano, while detailling more Kaido's backstory and personality, his dynamics with his All-Stars and Flying Fighters as well as with Rocks D. Xebec in his youth and the rest of the Rocks Pirates, exploring his empire and forces outside of Wano and also making him the active antagonist and mastermind of the Beast Pirates would have been far better story and more beneficial to both characters than the huge disasters we have gotten instead.
I'd honestly argue Big Mom should've been the main antagonist of Wano, rather than Kaido. If anybody were to represent the "ROCKS" return or some shit it should've been her. Having been emperor the longest and all that jazz + constant little broing of Kaido.

I'd honestly argue Big Mom should've been the main antagonist of Wano, rather than Kaido. If anybody were to represent the "ROCKS" return or some shit it should've been her. Having been emperor the longest and all that jazz + constant little broing of Kaido.
Elbaf is a better place for her than Wano tbh, not only due to the island having been her adopted island and of her connections with the giants and Mother Carmel here, and the Loki-Lola fiasco, and her paying tribute to Elbaf with her techniques and unresolved story with it and the giants.

Kaido in Wano could still have worked if it had been written properly, with all the aforementioned details we have talked about.

Also for me it didn't feel like a proper reunion of the Rocks, with only Big Mom and Kaido and their crews allying and with Rocks D Xebec and their other former comrades being barely if at all mentioned by them or other characters, during all of the arc, aside from Sengoku's exposé and that small Kaido flashback. More details about Xebec, Shiki and the others would have been good.