rate:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My views about One piece have changed a lot after I read may other great mangas..
Oda is good story teller , that's all positive thing I can say about him.
The world building, mysteries and the variety of side characters/fractions are the strengths of OP but Oda doesn’t handle them in a good way. We get even more mysteries but no answers, there’s not enough focus on other fractions like the Revos and the Underworld or side characters like Kid, Smoker, Coby, Sabo etc.
We waste multiple chapters for uninteresting characters like Tama but the fight against Jack gets offscreened.
The characters have 0 character development and now the power scaling is also out of place.
We also have now the typical destiny and lineage shit. One Piece is now one of many Shonen for me but it was once the undisputed King of Shonen in my eyes.

My eyes weep blood to see that this is true.
Oh, ok. Mine as well. :josad:

Like I said in the spoiler thread, I wouldn't compare the fights of 2 secondary characters to relatively unimportant villains to Luffy's #2 and 3 to Kaido's #2 and 3. There are already strong hints regarding powerups when it comes to both Zoro and Sanji these fights.

At worst they will get 1-2 chapters each as the F6 got. You aren't going to get full offscreen fights with a final strike like this, as there was a legitimate reason Oda didn't focus on these 2 as much as the others (not saying it's actually good, I'm just saying there is a reason for it)
Damn, 2 chapters for a character that is neither Tama nor Momo? If we only could be so lucky this raid, then I would not be this upset. :seriously:

Even Robin vs Maria legit had only 1 chapter, because before Demonio, we spent a chapter with Brook taking care of Maria's crew. :goatasure:

And, lastly, what hints of powerups you were talking about? You mean Cook's DNA awakening? Oda could (and would) just rush it in one chapter like Robin's Demonio. :doffycry:

If i am being honest as much as i like Luffys sky splitting feat i still think it could have done better. When i read the chapter, sky splitting looks like its only there to finish neko and inus fights. If oda didnt draw Tenguyama or Luffy and just focused on the fights i am sure a lot of people would like the fights. So much buildup for nothing.
Its obvious that Oda doesnt care about powerscaling and he put the sky splitting just to tell Luffy is ready to defeat the emperors. But Hey, I am ready to Luffy to struggle some guards next arc i guess. :pepelit:
And lastly, I am sad we never saw Big Moms fight. If Kid and Law defeats Big Mom it would be so anticlimatic. Oda please dont make Big Mom lose in one chapter. She is my favourite. :pepemy:
But Luffy and Momo stuff was great and Luffy splitting the sky was dope. Thats why i give the chapter 4 stars. :optimistic:

Oh, ok. Mine as well. :josad:

Damn, 2 chapters for a character that is neither Tama nor Momo? If we only could be so lucky this raid, then I would not be this upset. :seriously:

Even Robin vs Maria legit had only 1 chapter, because before Demonio, we spent a chapter with Brook taking care of Maria's crew. :goatasure:

And, lastly, what hints of powerups you were talking about? You mean Cook's DNA awakening? Oda could (and would) just rush it in one chapter like Robin's Demonio. :doffycry:
We need to stop comparing the rest of the crew to how Oda treats the M3. And then we need to stop comparing how Oda treats Zoro and Sanji vs how he treats Luffy.

Zoro and Sanji will get major fights and outcomes. Relax. This is set up far differently than Jack or Peros, or even the F6. Zoro and Sanji have had multiple fight scenes already with King and Queen and it will continue. Robin got nothing between 1005 and 1020. Jinbe got nothing between 998 and 1017. Only Franky received a bit of fighting in 1004 and that was because Nami/Usopp needed exposition with Ulti, Page 1, and the kibi dango shit.

Relaaaaaax people

Like I said in the spoiler thread, I wouldn't compare the fights of 2 secondary characters to relatively unimportant villains to Luffy's #2 and 3 to Kaido's #2 and 3. There are already strong hints regarding powerups when it comes to both Zoro and Sanji these fights.

At worst they will get 1-2 chapters each as the F6 got. You aren't going to get full offscreen fights with a final strike like this, as there was a legitimate reason Oda didn't focus on these 2 as much as the others (not saying it's actually good, I'm just saying there is a reason for it)
Actually, this is just a lame excuse for Oda's bad writing. If he didn't want to give prominence or relevance to the two villains involved in a subplot that has gained fanfare for over 200 chapters, he would only have let Jack die when he had faced the sulong duo at the top.

Why, what's the point of having left him alive in that circumstance only to bring him back later to be defeated in such a badly elaborated way? Hybrid form with no narrative weight, off-screen fighting, no named attacks and no relevance to the overall scope of the Wano/Onigashima narrative.

I can have all the faith in the world but I know oda got a bbw fetish and he loves her.
I just think that her presence this arc truly indicates she's done after it. Dialogue with CP-0 has foreshadowed both falling. She's been played out as a major villain this entire arc. Her son was just defeated this arc, and if her other children get involved when the island lands then it's definitely a done deal.

Her relevance to Elbaf doesn't really exist outside of the giants hating her and her cannibalism moment. Loki doesn't need to have a moment with her and Lola doesn't need to appear on Elbaf either. Her mystery behind mother Caramel can just be explained at some other point separately, it doesn't have to be relevant to her defeat. Hell, she could appear in Elbaf, but that doesn't require her to not be defeated here and now (i.e. Moria after Thriller Bark)

I'm just looking at what is here now vs what people are expecting in the future, neither of the 2 have to be related. It's been set up that she's fighting Kid and Law. Like every other matchup thus far, the protagonists have been winning. That's all

i still think we're getting an "awakening" chapter where at elast some of the KO'd beast pirates get back up and use awakening. i was talking w a friend about why no one on kaidos crew has used it yet if they know how, and i think it makes sense. you just have to use Chopper and Monster Point as a reference more than the impel down mindless zoans.

First off, Queen has no reaction to monster point. He just keeps making fun of Chopper like usual. So nothing about it is really shocking to him.

Second, Oda threw out as an SBS joke that Black Maria would have a normal hybrid mode if not for a drug "like the rumble ball" that let her use different forms. But Oda makes jokes canon pretty often. And combined with the first point, this just means Queen's the one who developed this drug. So they should all be fine with using it to force awakening, right?

Well maybe not. Chopper went baby geezer mode after his time limit ran out, and there was always a time limit. It's basically an all or nothing form, where you only use it if you think you can win right after or if someone can protect you afterwards, because it drains all your energy and makes you exhausted/disabled for some time afterwards.

Also, before Chopper REALLY figured it out, it was a full berserker mode where it was impossible to tell friend from enemy. Even the Impel Down jailers had to be whipped into line by Sadi-chan, they were also more or less berserkers and attacked the other guards sometimes too iirc. So unless you really know what you're doing, it's uncontrollable.

breaking all this down, i think its possible only Kaido, Queen, and King have the willpower or experience to control awakened form, and they're holding back on it because so far, none of their fights are "serious". Kaido is still having fun, Queen is still making fun of everyone, King is still chilled out and emotionless. Jack is like 20 years younger than them and simply might not have the self control or willpower or experience to control his awakening. But now that Jack is down, and the top 3 are being pushed more and more to their limit, I think it's almost time for "awakening". Jack in berserker mode will be full chaos, King and Queen will be kaiju level threats, and Kaido will be porunga from dbz.

If they don't pull it out soon I'm ready to bow my head and say i was wrong and im disappointed by the arc, but if they do, im happy. it makes sense to wait until things are actually desperate to pull out a trump card like this if they could risk everyone being ACTUALLY down for good the second their awakening times out.

PS: rumble ball forced awakening seems like it has different rules than normal zoan awakening as well. the impel down guys are permanently in those forms, and chopper wasn't able to just turn it off, he's stuck in that mode until it runs out or he falls in water. maybe kaido himself has a "natural" awakening that locks him into that form until he takes a bath or something and everyone else is just using Queen's drugs.

We need to stop comparing the rest of the crew to how Oda treats the M3. And then we need to stop comparing how Oda treats Zoro and Sanji vs how he treats Luffy.

Zoro and Sanji will get major fights and outcomes. Relax. This is set up far differently than Jack or Peros, or even the F6. Zoro and Sanji have had multiple fight scenes already with King and Queen and it will continue. Robin got nothing between 1005 and 1020. Jinbe got nothing between 998 and 1017. Only Franky received a bit of fighting in 1004 and that was because Nami/Usopp needed exposition with Ulti, Page 1, and the kibi dango shit.

Relaaaaaax people
Oh, Oda treated whatever the fuck the Monster Trio is differently? You mean how Cook vs Queen is Cook's first one-on-one fight in 10 years after being treated as a hype tool pre-WCI and a joke at WCI? Some "different" treatment. :watchout:

I made fun of Cook all the time, but even I accept that Oda did him (and 2/3 of the crew) dirty post-TS. :odenugh:

Relax, you say? Yeah, right. You relax. :tchpepe:

I don't think I've ever been this angry as a One Piece fan. I have been reading One Piece since chapter fucking 1. I saw Luffy out of that fucking barrel. For the life of me, I never would have thought Oda would insult his big moment by having it alongside an abomination of a writing like this, but here we are. :lawsigh:

After all, if Oda built Jack since 2015 just to lolnope him like that, then what else is beneath him to disrespect after all the other build ups? Let me tell you this: nothing. :goatasure:

Actually, this is just a lame excuse for Oda's bad writing. If he didn't want to give prominence or relevance to the two villains involved in a subplot that has gained fanfare for over 200 chapters, he would only have let Jack die when he had faced the sulong duo at the top.

Why, what's the point of having left him alive in that circumstance only to bring him back later to be defeated in such a badly elaborated way? Hybrid form with no narrative weight, off-screen fighting, no named attacks and no relevance to the overall scope of the Wano/Onigashima narrative.
Because it literally does not matter. He's a ridiculously small portion of what this arc is focusing on. You guys keep confusing bad writing with fan notion that shit needs to be relevant because you are a fan of x character.

There was setup from Inu that explained if Jack fought them under a full moon things would have been different. That already ended nd received payoff in chapter 992. Everything you've been getting beyond this point has been entirely extra to allow the reader to see more Sulong and a bit more of Jack in his minimal relevancy.

Clearly, in hindsight, Oda wanted to focus more on King and Queen. That was entirely apparent if you look at their reveal pages in chapter 926, where Jack is massively downplayed at the expense of their appearances.

So no, the writing is not bad at all, it's actually extremely consistent, because even in Zou Jack was not stronger than Inu or Neko, he had to cheat to win with poison weapons. He was reduced to irrelevance when Zunisha 1 shot him to oblivion. You've known how Oda has felt about Jack for over 200 chapters now. That is largely consistent writing.

What you don't like how he was portrayed, and thats a you problem, which is fine. I didn't exactly like it either. But that's a me problem, not a manga problem. One Piece is not a pure battle manga, the majority of the last 1026 chapters does not involve pure 1v1 battles. It is a shonen series for sure with plenty of action, but its never been its main feature.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, Oda treated whatever the fuck the Monster Trio is differently? You mean how Cook vs Queen is Cook's first one-on-one fight in 10 years after being treated as a hype tool pre-WCI and a joke at WCI? Some "different" treatment. :watchout:

I made fun of Cook all the time, but even I accept that Oda did him (and 2/3 of the crew) dirty post-TS. :odenugh:

I don't think I've ever been this angry as a One Piece fan. I have been reading One Piece since chapter fucking 1. I saw Luffy out of that fucking barrel. For the life of me, I never would have thought Oda would insult his big moment by having it alongside an abomination of a writing like this, but here we are. :lawsigh:

After all, if Oda built Jack since 2015 just to lolnope him like that, then what else is beneath him to disrespect after all the other build ups? Let me tell you this: nothing. :goatasure:
Not sure what you are getting at. Sanji vs Queen has been pretty hype and will continue to be until it's over.

Jack wasn't built up to be shit considering he was thrown away by Zunisha 200 chapters ago. Get over it lmao

you gotta understand jack is there to be like a surrogate kid of kaido. hes soft on him because hes the same age as yamato but actually loyal. jack doesnt get respect from the other 2 calamities and hes much much younger and less experienced than them and also wasnt really part of the 20 years ago events that everyone else is tied up in. his story isnt about being a beast its about loyalty and respect.

which is why i think jack will go berserker and maybe take out an ally or fuck something up for kaidos crew once he awakens, he'll show how dangerous he is but also how hes inexperienced and out of control. like he's jack the drought because when hes done rampaging the whole island is decaying like its been through a drought, which suggests hes just indiscriminately smashing everything in berserker mode

i still think we're getting an "awakening" chapter where at elast some of the KO'd beast pirates get back up and use awakening. i was talking w a friend about why no one on kaidos crew has used it yet if they know how, and i think it makes sense. you just have to use Chopper and Monster Point as a reference more than the impel down mindless zoans.

First off, Queen has no reaction to monster point. He just keeps making fun of Chopper like usual. So nothing about it is really shocking to him.

Second, Oda threw out as an SBS joke that Black Maria would have a normal hybrid mode if not for a drug "like the rumble ball" that let her use different forms. But Oda makes jokes canon pretty often. And combined with the first point, this just means Queen's the one who developed this drug. So they should all be fine with using it to force awakening, right?

Well maybe not. Chopper went baby geezer mode after his time limit ran out, and there was always a time limit. It's basically an all or nothing form, where you only use it if you think you can win right after or if someone can protect you afterwards, because it drains all your energy and makes you exhausted/disabled for some time afterwards.

Also, before Chopper REALLY figured it out, it was a full berserker mode where it was impossible to tell friend from enemy. Even the Impel Down jailers had to be whipped into line by Sadi-chan, they were also more or less berserkers and attacked the other guards sometimes too iirc. So unless you really know what you're doing, it's uncontrollable.

breaking all this down, i think its possible only Kaido, Queen, and King have the willpower or experience to control awakened form, and they're holding back on it because so far, none of their fights are "serious". Kaido is still having fun, Queen is still making fun of everyone, King is still chilled out and emotionless. Jack is like 20 years younger than them and simply might not have the self control or willpower or experience to control his awakening. But now that Jack is down, and the top 3 are being pushed more and more to their limit, I think it's almost time for "awakening". Jack in berserker mode will be full chaos, King and Queen will be kaiju level threats, and Kaido will be porunga from dbz.

If they don't pull it out soon I'm ready to bow my head and say i was wrong and im disappointed by the arc, but if they do, im happy. it makes sense to wait until things are actually desperate to pull out a trump card like this if they could risk everyone being ACTUALLY down for good the second their awakening times out.

PS: rumble ball forced awakening seems like it has different rules than normal zoan awakening as well. the impel down guys are permanently in those forms, and chopper wasn't able to just turn it off, he's stuck in that mode until it runs out or he falls in water. maybe kaido himself has a "natural" awakening that locks him into that form until he takes a bath or something and everyone else is just using Queen's drugs.
I think at most you'll see it with Kaido, BM, King and Queen. Nothing with the ones down tbh. The Impel Down guards seemed to have been artificially induced, or at least I feel will be retconned that way once Oda shows awakening.

I don't believe Jack will get up with it, because otherwise he:

A) wouldn't have announced the F6 defeats
B) wouldn't have announced Jack's defeat

Because it literally does not matter. He's a ridiculously small portion of what this arc is focusing on. You guys keep confusing bad writing with fan notion that shit needs to be relevant because you are a fan of x character.

There was setup from Inu that explained if Jack fought them under a full moon things would have been different. That already ended nd received payoff in chapter 992. Everything you've been getting beyond this point has been entirely extra to allow the reader to see more Sulong and a bit more of Jack in his minimal relevancy.

Clearly, in hindsight, Oda wanted to focus more on King and Queen. That was entirely apparent if you look at their reveal pages in chapter 926, where Jack is massively downplayed at the expense of their appearances.

So no, the writing is not bad at all, it's actually extremely consistent, because even in Zou Jack was not stronger than Inu or Neko, he had to cheat to win with poison weapons. He was reduced to irrelevance when Zunisha 1 shot him to oblivion. You've known how Oda has felt about Jack for over 200 chapters now. That is largely consistent writing.

What you don't like how he was portrayed, and thats a you problem, which is fine. I didn't exactly like it either. But that's a me problem, not a manga problem. One Piece is not a pure battle manga, the majority of the last 1026 chapters does not involve pure 1v1 battles. It is a shonen series for sure with plenty of action, but its never been its main feature.
So there's nothing wrong with the guy responsible for the destruction of Zou's civilisation and its tragedy to be reduced to irrelevance? Way to cheapen Zou's arc and Minks trauma.:whitepress: Maybe Oda should do make different hundred different plots if he's unable to wrap them up properly. I don't know how you can defend this

I think at most you'll see it with Kaido, BM, King and Queen. Nothing with the ones down tbh. The Impel Down guards seemed tk have been artificially induced tbh, or at least I feel will be retconned that way once Oda shows awakening.

I don't believe Jack will get up with it tbh, because otherwise he:

A) wouldn't have announced the F6 defeats
B) wouldn't have announced Jack's defeat
the defeat announcements are usually final but i have a weird feeling its meant to be a fake out still. i guess im getting my hopes up because i think oda would want to do the wordplay of "awakening" being a chapter where they wake up from being knocked out and then also devil fruit awaken

So there's nothing wrong with the guy responsible for the destruction of Zou's civilisation and its tragedy to be reduced to irrelevance? Way to cheapen Zou's arc and Minks trauma.:whitepress: Maybe Oda should do make different hundred different plots if he's unable to wrap them up properly. I don't know how you can defend this
Guys. It was already handled. You saw it in 992. You saw it in the last 20 chapters when Oda showed Jack and Inu.

Jack having named moves does NOT change that lmao. He wrapped him up fine, that has nothing to do with how YOU wanted to see more of the fight.

how is he getting reduced to irrelevance by the minks getting revenge on him and winning? they didnt get a full moon when he showed up to zou, they do now, and with that edge they're a lot stronger. it does all fit together.

Guys. It was already handled. You saw it in 992. You saw it in the last 20 chapters when Oda showed Jack and Inu.

Jack having named moves does NOT change that lmao. He wrapped him up fine, that has nothing to do with how YOU wanted to see more of the fight.
The only thing I saw is Jack interactions with Minks being off-screened. Very convenient:kayneshrug:

you gotta understand jack is there to be like a surrogate kid of kaido. hes soft on him because hes the same age as yamato but actually loyal. jack doesnt get respect from the other 2 calamities and hes much much younger and less experienced than them and also wasnt really part of the 20 years ago events that everyone else is tied up in. his story isnt about being a beast its about loyalty and respect.

which is why i think jack will go berserker and maybe take out an ally or fuck something up for kaidos crew once he awakens, he'll show how dangerous he is but also how hes inexperienced and out of control. like he's jack the drought because when hes done rampaging the whole island is decaying like its been through a drought, which suggests hes just indiscriminately smashing everything in berserker mode
Yeah, at this point, I gotta press X to doubt, chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.