Is Sanji's Power Up Legitimate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
he beat the shit out of paypay while invisible,besides the suit increases the power of his kicks because of the boosters on his feet
Im not denying that the suit is a PU, im saying sanji clearly has problems using the suit morally otherwise he would've used it against maria, queen, drake .....

Nope. Sanji isn't the cook anymore he's one of the Wings of the PK. I'd expect his upgrades to be written in with the bare minimum effort as well, atleast if not on part with the main combatants. It is not even a joke at this point to say that Nami getting Zeus had more writing and planning involved than this. Sanji did use the RS in the bathhouse so it makes it 3 (P1 fight, Bathhouse, King) and not 2.

I don't have any qualms with the nature of the powerup. My issue is with it being dropped in like Chopper's MP upgrade (or like the shit that happened in Enies Lobby) and not organically written into the arc.
I'm talking about their roles in the crew, and Sanji is clearly the cook, battlewise he's the Wings alongside Zoro there's no denying it. But we can't always expect some backstory to every PU we see in this manga, remember G2 in enies lobby? What hint did we had at the time that Luffy's had a new power up? Or hell even G3, DJ, Asura... Sanji's exoskeleton was kinda confirmed since 5/6 chapters back when he complained to Zoro about his body.

Cope. He will never get CoC, my man showed no sign of it since the start of the story and now Oda has introduced his daddy's genes
What ? who said anything about COC, you said oda doesn't want to focus on sanjis HAKI, learn some reading comprehension dude.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Oda even got the number of times he used the RS to trigger his exoskeleton wrong - shows how much effort/planning has been put into this.

It does not feel organically written in for me and this kinda massacres his character as well. Would've easily preferred a training arc for a generic haki powerup over this, especially when how Act 2 was wasted on fodder Yakuza that nobody even remembers, let alone care about.

I expected better writing than what we got. And no, an idea that Oda decided to add in a couple of chapters ago doesn't count as good writing. If Sanji had started talking about how his body felt weird way before the raid started back at Wano Mainland it would have made it slightly better. I hoped for RS upgrades from him training/testing out the raidsuit with Franky/Usopp since that was forshadowed. Guess I expected too much.
Sounds like what Oda did to Law...

Oda took so much time during Act 2 to give Luffy advanced Armament Haki and Zoro Enma. Both had ties to the plot with Kaido, narrative significance and then were used to hurt Kaido on the rooftop.

You're telling me that Oda could not find the panel time, over the hundreds of Otama and Momo panels, to give Sanji a haki powerup or atleast put in a training arc for the Germa powerup? Outside of the Page One fight, 2 chapters - 1/2 of each and the fight was offscreened as well.

Seriously bro. This powerup is more in line with how randomnly Chopper's Monster Point time limit increased than with Luffy's and Zoro's PUs of this arc.

Advanced CoC (Luffy's second powerup) and Enma turning black (Zoro's second powerup) were forshadowed in act 2 as well.

I'm not taking sides here. But you gotta admit that this lazy shitty writing from Oda.
Oda off-panelled Zoro’s Enma training so whats your point. Both Enma and the Exo-Skeleton were given introductions, both were hinted at, etc.

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
β€Ž
But we can't always expect some backstory to every PU we see in this manga, remember G2 in enies lobby? What hint did we had at the time that Luffy's had a new power up? Or hell even G3, DJ, Asura...
Yes, you won't find me calling them good writing either.

Sanji's exoskeleton was kinda confirmed since 5/6 chapters back when he complained to Zoro about his body.
Doesn't make it any better dude. I guess I expected more out of Oda.

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Oda even got the number of times he used the RS to trigger his exoskeleton wrong - shows how much effort/planning has been put into this.

It does not feel organically written in for me and this kinda massacres his character as well. Would've easily preferred a training arc for a generic haki powerup over this, especially when how Act 2 was wasted on fodder Yakuza that nobody even remembers, let alone care about.

I expected better writing than what we got. And no, an idea that Oda decided to add in a couple of chapters ago doesn't count as good writing. If Sanji had started talking about how his body felt weird way before the raid started back at Wano Mainland it would have made it slightly better. I hoped for RS upgrades from him training/testing out the raidsuit with Franky/Usopp since that was forshadowed. Guess I expected too much.
Doesn’t massacre his character because the whole point was him keeping his emotions (which he still has)

If you’re comparing it to Chopper then I really don’t know what to tell you... look at both power ups and tell me the same level of thought is put into each one

I never said the writing is good I said it was written far better than Choppers extended monster point power up that was rushed past and given one small panel and 0 foreshadowing.

Oda took so much time during Act 2 to give Luffy advanced Armament Haki and Zoro Enma. Both had ties to the plot with Kaido, narrative significance and then were used to hurt Kaido on the rooftop.

You're telling me that Oda could not find the panel time, over the hundreds of Otama and Momo panels, to give Sanji a haki powerup or atleast put in a training arc for the Germa powerup? Outside of the Page One fight, 2 chapters - 1/2 of each and the fight was offscreened as well.

Seriously bro. This powerup is more in line with how randomnly Chopper's Monster Point time limit increased than with Luffy's and Zoro's PUs of this arc.

Advanced CoC (Luffy's second powerup) and Enma turning black (Zoro's second powerup) were forshadowed in act 2 as well.

I'm not taking sides here. But you gotta admit that this lazy shitty writing from Oda.
Oda dedicated an entire flashback to the Germa technology, and potential wakening of Sanji's genes. What more did he really need to extrapolate on here to make it cohesive, and make sense?

The raid suit was tailor made to Sanji's DNA, which was attempted to be manipulated before his birth. The initial attempt was deemed a failure. However, after wearing the Raid suit, his DNA responded to it, and thus his Lineage Factor genes awakened.

It's way more fleshed out than Luffy punching a bunch of trees, and Zoro swinging Enma around at nothing for a few panels.

And why should I be biased here lol?

I'm criticizing Oda's writing. This has nothing to do with Sanji.
Cause I can’t see any other reason for you comparing his power up to Choppers

One got a single panel that was rushed past with 0 foreshadowing or thought put into it at all

While the other got foreshadowing (poor foreshadowing but still) and is clearly one of the more important things in the chapter

Both were done poorly but I wouldn’t put them on the same level

Oda dedicated an entire flashback to the Germa technology, and potential wakening of Sanji's genes. What more did he really need to extrapolate on here to make it cohesive, and make sense?

The raid suit was tailor made to Sanji's DNA, which was attempted to be manipulated before his birth. The initial attempt was deemed a failure. However, after wearing the Raid suit, his DNA responded to it, and thus his Lineage Factor genes awakened.

It's way more fleshed out than Luffy punching a bunch of trees, and Zoro swinging Enma around at nothing for a few panels.
I think Enma and Ryou hold more weight during this arc but the Raid Suit/Exoskeleton has been fleshed out more, yes

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
β€Ž
Oda off-panelled Zoro’s Enma training so whats your point. Both Enma and the Exo-Skeleton were given introductions, both were hinted at, etc.
He offpaneled Luffy's ACoA training as well. That isn't the issue.

The point is Enma had -

1. Narrative Significance : To cut Kaido. Just like Luffy's - to hurt Kaido.
2. Wano centric Plotline: Had Zoro lose Shusui and search for it leading to the Hiyori reveal/plotline and ending with him receiving Enma. Also gave more lore about Ryuma, Shusui and Wano. Just like Luffy had to train in the prisons and ended up freeing the Samurai of their physical and mental chains over there. Also brought in Hyogoro, Kawamatsu, Big Mom, Queen and tied together several plotlines.
3. A training arc, just like how Luffy trained his ACoA.
4. Foreshadowing for future powerups: Zoro being told that he can make Enma a black blade in the future, hinting something that 100% is going to happen by the end of this arc and probably is his powerup against King. Exactly like Luffers learning how to make his haki flow, leading to him using AdvCoC by making his CoC flow.

Guess I was wrong for expecting something similar for Sanji.

Status
Not open for further replies.