Rate this chapter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oda has gone with the safest resolution: Luffy's fruit stays the Gomu Gomu in practice, but is turned into a power that only exists in his own universe and will magnify the transcendence of the last arcs. Whether it's the most elegant outcome or not it will depend on how far he takes this "toon logic", because in small doses it could work pretty well.

Still have some issues with turning the fruit into something this important, but the idea itself isn't too bad.

On it's own (not looking at the context) it was a great chapter.

Gear 5 also fits with Luffy's themes (freedom, goofiness etc.).

Problem is that it really brings up a lot of PIS concerning the WG. They knew he had the "Gomu-Gomu-No-Mi" aka "Hito Hito No Mi: Model Nika" for over 2 years (!!!) now and couldn't care less. Yeah, they were angry that he annoyed them in Enies Lobby and Impel Down, but that was basically it. They never even sent one high ranking marine to specifically go after Luffy. Now after more than 2 years of knowing everything they suddenly go like "Dayyyyyum, I had an epiphany: We actually fear that fruit the most!!! Kill Strawhat Luffy at any cost!!!!!!"

Sorry, that's just not good writing there.

I'm probably in the minority but I seriously dislike this.

First the part about Luffys Devil Fruit suddenly being something else than what we were told for 20 years, secondly the fact that its actually this hugely overpowered, legendary one instead of just a random rubber fruit with a very creative user. This feels super naruto "your the chosen one" like, which I really dont enjoy as a trope

And then his whole new look and personality just feels way too cartoony and funny, even in the OP world. I dont know, maybe Oda manages to catch me in the following chapters, but this one was a huge letdown after two long weeks of hype

:sanjimeh:
the only part we didn't know about him is him being a mythical zoan type.. lets not exaggerate it as if its a whole different thing from what it was portrayed.. the mf is still rubber but a zoan as well.. ta-dan

its just he's not a paramecia but still rubber

and this naruto comparison is childish..
in every shonen of such type MC's are flipin meant for greatness you can easily argue that without it being mentioned in the stories .. you dislike it coz it doesn't sit right with you in general.. the reasons you suggested are just your twisted notion of "chosen one" being ultimately flawed just coz ABC did it as well.. that is not logical reasoning..

Please explain: chosen by whom exactly?
Post automatically merged:

He's always been like this
In my opinion his personality became too over the top funny. It fits the cartoon aspect but I just didnt enjoy it

And I still think it feels too "chosen one" like for me. Sure Luffy unlocked this huge potential by himself, but he was given one of the highest ceilings by fate, and I just would have prefered it if his fruit wasnt something like this, and more like the classic Gomu Gomu no mi.

B

Ballel

In my opinion his personality became too over the top funny. It fits the cartoon aspect but I just didnt enjoy it

And I still think it feels too "chosen one" like for me. Sure Luffy unlocked this huge potential by himself, but he was given one of the highest ceilings by fate, and I just would have prefered it if his fruit wasnt something like this, and more like the classic Gomu Gomu no mi.
Chosen by whom?
And who is this ''fate'' guy u talking about? Can I have a chat with him once in a while?

There are so many things that don’t make any fucking sense whatsoever trying to retcon a Paramecia into a mythical Zoan. There’s also the issue of Oda shitting all over his own statements about giving Luffy a silly and goofy fruit and the fact that the Nika/joyboy being Luffy thing completely fucks the idea that Luffy is truly free and not a slave to destiny. But nah, time to turn off brain. Bouncy man go brrr.
Fate and destiny are two different things.

Fate is controlled by cosmos, it is meant to happen.

Destiny is a set of conscious decisions: improve your talent/skill. You will then have fulfilled your potential.

Chosen by whom?
And who is this ''fate'' guy u talking about? Can I have a chat with him once in a while?
Fate and destiny are abstract concept. Everyone believes it is controlled by some entity. I personally believe it depends on the Karma.

If we think about it from Woopslap perspective, we can see different version of it.

Garp is respectable marine and a hero. There was always pressure on Luffy to become Marine. He could have become marine in normal situation. Cuz who wants leave cozy life in search of adventure?

But Luffy discarded everything and went on adventure. Is it his destiny to have this adventure? Is he fated to do these things?

I love how some zorotards and their buddies throwing these words around like they understand these concepts in depth. :yearight: