One Piece Chapter 1118 - Be Free

Rate the chapter

• Total voters

Akai2

πŸ†‰πŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…Ύ πŸ†ƒπŸ…ΎπŸ…Ύ πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒπŸ†πŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…Ί!
β€Ž
I didn’t realize that so many people hate this chapter. Luffy sharing his powers with Bonney is a cool touch in my opinion. It makes sense for Luffy’s character.
I'll agree with the criticism if their expectations come true over the next few chapters. For now, I believe it's an overreaction. And yes, this development makes sense for Luffy and Bonney's characters, but it can't be to the point where Bonney is literally a second Nika. Just rambled about this earlier.
Bonney looks cool in her Nika form, and it's obviously a really risky decision if Oda's really going to give her the full Nika powers with reality manipulation, haki, etc. I just can't see that happening, which is why I believe some of the negative reactions are jumping the gun. Her form is likely how Nika would appear in a child's imagination, so her power will still be governed by her own limitations. She won't be able to stretch or turn surroundings into rubber like Luffy. I don't think she's broken to the point that she can imagine a Law like future for example, then start doing OP OP techniques lol

You have to remember that her powers will get worse as she grows older and learns about ontological restrictions of the OP world. As a child, her faith in what is ontologically possible is much more expansive than what is actually possible. So, while I obviously see that giving the main character's ultimate awakening to a 12 year old girl is a bad decision, I'm holding judgment until we see the full extent of her abilities. I don't think it'll go beyond looking like Nika and performing a couple of gigantification and stretching moves.

Thematically, I'm really happy with Luffy's continually pulling out the best of up and comers like Bonney, Momo, etc...

Yamato's journey is a nice consolation after she didn't join the crew. This cover story has the potential to tie up a few loose ends that were abandoned at the end of Onigashima.

Glad the Iron Giant's role isn't over yet, and I wonder if we'll get a glimpse into his past with Joy Boy here. I bet it will be saved for the void century flashback along with the rest of Vegapunk's speech.

The Gorosei look mean as hell. I'm really happy with how they've been portrayed in Egghead. An aura of genuine threat, and I'm hoping Luffy gets to properly fight them (Please vs Saturn!)

Overall, this chapter leaves a lot to look forward to next week, and I'm sure as shit happy there isn't a break lol
Post automatically merged:

Oda's writing her like a confirmed future crew member, but we just saw what happened with Yamato so I'mma keep quiet :zosleepy:
Luffy fans seething :milaugh::milaugh:
I'm a Luffy fan, and I believe it's an overreaction. If Bonney is literally a second Nika then yes, Luffy fans should be seething lol
Post automatically merged:

Lmao you are begging for zori to save you from this :milaugh:
It's even more hilarious this is coming from one of his biggest haters:suresure:
Even haters can't deny zori is "Him".
:kuzanshut:
And this dude tryna convince me he's not Crux

Last edited:

Akai2

πŸ†‰πŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…Ύ πŸ†ƒπŸ…ΎπŸ…Ύ πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒπŸ†πŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…Ί!
β€Ž
What is harder to defend :this or Southgate
LOL

Southgate by far, worst top level manager in the world. Should've been sacked 6 years ago.

This chapter will read much better in a couple of weeks when people realize Bonney isn't literally a second Gear 5 broken character lol

Why is Nami saying this looking to the direction where according to this forum smellro and horsejuro having a epic fight? What did stephen mean by this? :josad:

It is interesting how Oda conveys to us that Edison is possibly dead. He uses York to tell us that she does not feel Edison connecting with Punk Records anymore. But Edison not interacting could also mean that he is alive, but does not chose to interact with it. This brings me to the question, why he is not doing it. He could be unconscious or simply does not want to. As the reason for this could be speculated, the chances that he does not want York to know that he is still alive is one of them, seeing that at the very least Shaka is still alive, without Oda wanting us to know of this.

Further into the chapter, Luffy arrives on the giant’s ship and immediately askes, where Chopper and Usopp are. This acts as a reminder to us readers that there are still a few SHPs missing and guides our attention back to where the Sunny is still waiting to depart from Egghead. Sanji builds up on this as he begins to interact with Nami. This is a hint that soon Oda will be focussing on that particular plot-detail.

Dorry also lets something slide that the reader has to really let sink in: If their enemy is able to fly, they will be able to chase the ships of the Elbaph and SHPs to the end of the world. This in return means that somehow everyone of the Marines and the Gorosei, who are able to fly, need to be stalled so that the pirates/Vegapunks have time to flee.