Break Week One Piece - Chapter 970: Oden vs Kaido [BREAK WEEK]

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ardym

for me it seems that Toki already know that Oden will not survive, but she knew as well that they will win 20 years later, maybe it was her mission to ensure that in behalf of the ancient kingdom.
she accepted that Oden will for the geater good .some would say she might be the traitor but i think she just was sacrificing herself along Oden for Momo to survive and win, since he is more important because of his control of Zunisha

Oden had horrible circumstances, Lady Toki used Oden as a sperm donor. Oden mistake was letting Toki fool him. Then he made the mistake of not accepting the help of the Roger Pirates, which lead to his country going to shit. Toki looks to be the traitor.

J

Jo_Ndule

This is true. Before it looked like Oden was the brains and Kaido was the brawn, but now it looks like Kaido at least knew of all the deception if not helping plan it. I don’t think Oda will ever give us a “clean” victory of a pirate taking over a country against their will. It’s a scummy process so they’re going to be scummy as a rule.

Orochi shooting an agent and nothing happening makes them chickens? We’ll see. CP0 is only there to make money. They don’t have any interest in doing anything else with Wano...yet.
If this Kaido = current Kaido

WG Navy WB BM are all trash to have failed to kill, take out fully Kaido.

Anyway, yes Kaido turned out to be a real pirate.

He can win by brute force alone and also via tactics. He doesnt play little pirate games.

Did it look easy?

Oden had to travel and grow stronger a lot to manage this....don't undermine him.

Plus yeah it seems top tiers didn't fought a lot as many of us expected.

The Shanks who stop Kaido from going to marineford was also able to scar him I guess?
Yup. The way it was hyped that only Oden could perma scar Kaidou, it turned out to be something each of the Top tiers should be capable of doing.

Oden had horrible circumstances, Lady Toki used Oden as a sperm donor. Oden mistake was letting Toki fool him. Then he made the mistake of not accepting the help of the Roger Pirates, which lead to his country going to shit. Toki looks to be the traitor.
I believe that the child of a kozuki and an amatsuki has the ability to command zunisha, so oden's and toki's child. She knew this. From the beginning. And that's why she sacrifized herself along with oden, to ensure momo's safety for the next 20 years and to complete the preparations.
And possibly this role has been entrusted to hiyori by her, so right now she is the "traitor".
Post automatically merged:

Btw, the amatsukis seem to be extinct. So very likely toki had a role to fullfill, traveling 800 years to the future and giving birth to momo, the one that can command zunisha, in order to overthrow the tenryubito.

And if Kaido used a Trick/Strategy to win how can that make him a bad villain if that's what a villain is supposed to do previously they were all meh Kaido is just a plain villain he just swings his bat and that's it now we see a more strategic side of him and is suddenly more trash we knew BP were like this since Zou....if Kaido had gass weapons he would have used them if it would have saved him some time
I'm sorry, but how is this "strategy" or "tactical"??

It was quick thinking from the old Korozumi hag.. Kaido never expected to have been cut like that by Oden.. no-one from his beast pirate horde did.. Kaido was literally 2 seconds away from death... if the old hag transformed into momo from the very beginning and acted like he was under hostage, then yes.. it is tactical.. but this?? No, it's not.

Zunisha can be taken out by Cannon's so its not important. However, if Oden had to be sacrificed for Luffy, that is just garbage. If Luffy heard that, he would quit being a Pirate. This prophecy BS is annoying.

I believe that the child of a kozuki and an amatsuki has the ability to command zunisha, so oden's and toki's child. She knew this. From the beginning. And that's why she sacrifized herself along with oden, to ensure momo's safety for the next 20 years and to complete the preparations.
And possibly this role has been entrusted to hiyori by her, so right now she is the "traitor".

Btw, the amatsukis seem to be extinct. So very likely toki had a role to fullfill, traveling 800 years to the future and giving birth to momo, the one that can command zunisha, in order to overthrow the tenryubito.
That sucks for Oden.

I believe that the child of a kozuki and an amatsuki has the ability to command zunisha, so oden's and toki's child. She knew this. From the beginning.

And that's why she sacrifized herself along with oden, to ensure momo's safety for the next 20 years and to complete the preparations. And possibly this role has been entrusted to hiyori by her, so right now she is the "traitor".

So you're pretty much saying Toki travelled 800 years into the future to fuck the Kozuki family?
Are you even seriously... serious??

And how on earth is Hiyori the traitor, when she doesn't even know how many samurai joined the alliance? Nor does she even know where Luffy's ship was located? And that Orochi is hunting her skinny ass?

What the flying fuck is this?
Why do you always post retarded shit like this?

So you're pretty much saying Toki travelled 800 years into the future to fuck the Kozuki family?
Are you even seriously... serious??

And how the fuck is Hiyori the traitor, when she doesn't even know how many samurai joined the alliance? Nor does she even know where Luffy's ship was located? And that Orochi is hunting her skinny ass?

What the flying fuck is this?
Why do you always post retarded shit like this?
I'm going of what ardym said, and toki smiling when talking about Oden being captured in this chapter.

Does anyone still doubt that Oden >> Rayleigh?
I doubt that..
If oden in 5 years of piracy became that much stronger than when he'd left,no reason why dark king in 50+years of piracy wouldn't be stronger than oden in his prime.

Jack was too young to be one of Kaido's underlings. It would have been cool to see Avalo as one of the three calamities.

That one can't be Jack
Seeing oda's recent writing and weird explanation of things,wouldn't be surprised if oda still reveals that is jack :pepeke:

Last edited:
The chapter was OK

It could have been better if it lasted more than one chapter. Its baffling that Oda decided to have both the climax and resolution in the same chapter. That...just doesnt work. If this chapter had a little fighting then ended with Oden cutting Kaido then it would have been more impactful. Instead its extremely rushed. This is essentially the opposite problem with Dressrosa. He isnt giving things a chance to breathe.

I wont agree with anyone saying this flashback or the writing in it are awful. Its just nonsense. These last 2 chapters have been underwhelming but before that it was fire for like 6 chapters straight. Amazing writing that filled in holes and expanded on past things Oda was hinting at. Now, Oda is racing towards the finish line so this chapter in particular reallly suffers.

The "criticism" that Toki is a wasted character is stupid because she's clearly not finished in the story. She may not be a big character in this flachback but that doesnt mean she's being wasted. She's GOING to be expanded upon. The community tends to look at every chapter as if its the last chapter of the story. This Toki plotline will pay off. She might even be one of the main characters of the Void Century flashback so I dont give a fuck if she makes an impact now, becuase she doesnt need to, RIGHT NOW.

It's important to note that we still have some story left. The scabbards have to escape, see the castle burn, see Oden's execution and be sent to the future. This could happen all next chapter but I really hope not. This chapter desperately need more focus on the scabbards in particular in relation to Oden. Oden as a character is great, but until we get that moment with the people carrying his will, this flashback wont do this story justice.

Also, it seems that Orochi actually kept his part of the bargain to not terrorize the people of Wano? Otherwise the daimyo wouldnt just sit idly by for years with their people dying. I imagine that Orochi didnt do the execution shit after he made the contract with Oden, but him killing Hyogoro's men broke that contract. We still dont what's up with the boat stuff too. There's definitely more to this that we're in the dark about.

Overall, disappointing as a climax to this conflict but not bad by any means.

Seeing for the firsttime such a negative mood from the one piece youtuber for a chapter:

Seeing in a while since many one piece youtuber think the same way and I don´t even deny their point because I feel like the half community feel the same about this new chapter and the last one Chapter felt so rushed and anticlimatic, I can understand their feeling for that...

I don't mind flashbacks being extended or drawn out if Oda would just give the fans what they want. This is why series like AOT and Kimetsu No Yaiba are gaining on OP sale wise; they understand the Shonen audience loves fights and a charismatic cast with enjoyable ons-screen interactions. This flashback has none of that, running at breakneck pace through what should be some of the most exciting scenes in the manga:
  1. Roger vs WB
  2. Roger's adventures, including Skypeia and FMI
  3. A real live character from the Void Century which is an integral part of the storyline and Robin's dream
  4. The expanded backstories of the Scabbards, some of whom have been with the Straw Hats for years and years of real time

SnK and KnY are not afraid to spend extended amounts of time fleshing out the characters and fights in a satisfying way. Levi vs Zeke, Hannes's death, Serumgate and so on were heart-stopping, emotionally resonant scenes because the author slowed the fuck down. Oda spends so long teasing the audience with tidbits that he forgets to slow things down and make the audience care. I don't give a fuck about Denjiro, I don't give two shits about imitation Robin 9.0 Toki and I don't care that Oden is going to die. His level of stupidity just fails to elicit any sympathetic reaction.

The only one here that definitely should have been expanded upon was Skypiea, because there was specifically hinting at their interaction with Ganfall which was meaningful.

We didnt need more from Roger vs Whitebeard. It would have been amazing to see, but not seeing it isnt a criticism

Toki's story isnt done yet. I dont get why we're STILL complaining about this when we're not done with her character. The manga isnt over. If it's not now, it will be later. Do you really think Oda would specifically introduce a character from the Void Century to NOT expound upon her?

The scabbards flashbacks dont matter. What matters is why they're loyal to Oden. We dont know Denjiro or Kinemon's backstory but we understand why they're loyal to him. We dont have strong emotional connections to Oden for all of them. Neku, Inu, Kawamatsu, Denjiro, Kinemon, and Ashura are solid because they are serving HIS narrative.The other three are definitely missing more. Vivi has possibly the worst flashback in the entire series. But she's one of the best side characters, not because we know her backstory but because in real time she grew and was well written. Her motivations were clear, and we saw them through.

Almost every KnY flashback has been filled with hamfisted exposition on the character or them explaining to themselves their story. Gotouge does ALOOOT of telling and not nearly enough showing. There are exceptions but reread Mitsuri's and tell me that that was an above average flashback. There are multiple that basically the bare minimum character bio fill in.

I agree with SNK though. SNK is easily one of the best shonen along with One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.