Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 971: Sentenced to Boil

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogard

You can't win
These shit translations are doing way more harm than good. I'm waiting for the official ones now. Rather have a two day wait and get the actual picture than the garbled half-truths we've been getting since JB and MS stopped.
Lol that's why i wasn't commenting on the chapter until yet. I knew something was off in the dialogue. Official cleared a lot of things

M

MD Zolo

Oden seems very confident that he can withstand 1 hour in the boiling oil (a reminder that boiling oil is so much worse than boiling water), something that even Kaido doesn't believe.

So, I guess Oden will survive the boiling. Question is: does he succumb to injuries later or does somebody (Kaido/Orochi/Traitor) kill him afterwards?

Which brings me to the next point. I know I am against Kaido dying at the end of this arc, but one of Kaido and Orochi gotta boil. Who will it be?

Oden seems very confident that he can withstand 1 hour in the boiling oil (a reminder that boiling oil is so much worse than boiling water), something that even Kaido doesn't believe.

So, I guess Oden will survive the boiling. Question is: does he succumb to injuries later or does somebody (Kaido/Orochi/Traitor) kill him afterwards?

Which brings me to the next point. I know I am against Kaido dying at the end of this arc, but one of Kaido and Orochi gotta boil. Who will it be?
Likely Orochi tbh lol

True but I see Zoro or maybe even blackbeard killing Kaido (when he's already defeated)
Yeah I have in my list also Zoro,Blackbeard or even Kid(because of all the Killer fiasco) who gonna kill Kaido in the end, I don´t think Luffy gonna do it. My highest potential if I really judge about the panels and hints, I think it gonna be Zoro who gonna cut of Kaido and kills him off, but that is my opinion.

About Oden, I think he gonna survive the boiling but Kaido didn´t hold his words and try to kill the retainer, Oden throw them away with Shinobu making them free and run away, while Oden get killed off by Kaido with a final attack or something, overall Momo said it was Kaido who kill his father.

Yes he shall pay for what he did. Sounds most logical to me.
Yup he deserves it
Yeah I have in my list also Zoro,Blackbeard or even Kid(because of all the Killer fiasco) who gonna kill Kaido in the end, I don´t think Luffy gonna do it. My highest potential if I really judge about the panels and hints, I think it gonna be Zoro who gonna cut of Kaido and kills him off, but that is my opinion.

About Oden, I think he gonna survive the boiling but Kaido didn´t hold his words and try to kill the retainer, Oden throw them away with Shinobu making them free and run away, while Oden get killed off by Kaido with a final attack or something, overall Momo said it was Kaido who kill his father.
Oh yeah forgot Kidd, he might kill him too in the end

Damn if Kaido really did that to Oden then yeah he should be the one boiling in the end lol.
Tbh it's kinda hard for me to choose..both Orochi or Kaido deserves that

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
Kaido and Orochi: We have prisoners, can you let us live so we can keep them hostage?

Oden: Hmm let's make a deal. Can you keep everyone hostage for 5 years, gain more military might in the process and then quietly leave?

Kaidou and Orochi: Sure, but could you also throw in dancing around naked for 5 years as a bonus?

Oden: Done deal!

You would think this is a joke but that is essentially what just occured. Oda completely dropped the ball here, this is beyond laughable. The boiling moment this chapter by itself would have been great, iconic, but was ruined thanks to the atrocious explanation behind the deal. Never has a character deserved every bit of what came to him more than Kozuki Oden, starting all the way back from his negligence of Wano in the first place, to the single dumbest decision in the entire story when he did come back.

Last edited:
It seems Oda is doing this Flashback the same way he did Brook's. He montages the Journey and then the final death scene plays out at a normal story's pace. Seeing as how Brook's story still managed to be impactful I'd gather the same will be said of Oden as long as the death is made memorable.

I'm sure others already pointed this out but I really like the symbolism of the whole boiling pot situation. Oden once again tries to take all of the burden onto his own shoulders. All while holding his subordinates above his head. He's literally trying to carry his whole team instead of working alongside them. The symbolism of the pot works to great effect here because in trying to carry the weight of his entire team on his own causes Oden to suffer immense agony. Trying to carry his team on his own does nothing except boil away at his own flesh.

Another small thing to note is Orochi's description of what the Kurozumi Clan went through and how it acts as a microcosm of the grander conflict in One Piece as a whole. The conflict between Justice & Freedom. Pirate & Marine. How the Government's "Justice" only breeds hate and ultimately ends up creating more Villains as a result. The citizens of Wano callously hunted down the Kurozumi family simply because of their bloodline which is reminiscent of Akainu's Absolute Justice and how he hunted down Luffy for having "Evil Blood" and how he kills Pirates simply for existing. This is something that will likely come into play later with the themes of the arc but it also shows that Wano isn't entirely an innocent persecuted nation in this. They ultimately ended up creating their own Villain in the form of Orochi. The same way that the overbearing Justice of the Marines only creates more Villainous Pirates who rebel against the system. Which in turn Justifies the actions of the Marines once gain. Resulting in a vicious cycle.

The resolution to Orochi's story is probably one to pay attention to.

Aside from that, Oden has been an amazing character so far and I'm hoping his death will be an emotional one. Others have already given an analysis of his actions thus far so I feel theres no need for me to go over that. Though I will say the mistake I see a lot of people making in interpreting his actions is one many who attempt to analyze stories often fall prey to. And that is in thinking that every character needs to act perfectly logical in every scenario instead of the character acting....in-character. Here Oden falls prey to his own flaws and makes decisions that make sense based on his character. Oden's actions make sense to him and that is the point. He's not supposed to be infallible. This is exactly what makes him such an incredible character. Despite how epic, legendary, and larger than life he seems Oda still manages to imbue him with enough grounding to make him seem both Human and like a Demigod at the same time.

If it wasn't said already: this was a great chapter.

Last edited:
Kaido and Orochi: We have prisoners, can you let us live so we can keep them hostage?

Oden: Hmm let's make a deal. Can you keep everyone hostage for 5 years, gain more military might in the process and then quietly leave?

Kaidou and Orochi: Sure, but could you also throw in dancing around naked for 5 years as a bonus?

Oden: Done deal!

You would think this is a joke but that is essentially what just occured. Oda completely dropped the ball here, this is beyond laughable. The boiling moment this chapter by itself would have been great, iconic, but was ruined thanks to the atrocious explanation behind the deal. Never has a character deserved every bit of what came to him more than Kozuki Oden, starting all the way back from his negligence of Wano in the first place, to the single dumbest decision in the entire story when he did come back.
Except neither kaido nor orochi ever said they would lose, and in that flashback they have shown kaido and oden fighting while orochi was hiding in that barrier. Then after a while orochi made his proposal. But i agree with the rest, its pretty dumb of him to trust them.

reading the official translation again made me realized a some things..

1st I said it was foolish for Oden for believing in Kaido and Orochi for the whole 5 years.. but he has a reason to believed them during those years Oden kept visiting other provinces to make sure no one gets kidnap or hurt since Kaido & Orochi did KEEP THEIR PROMISE during those years! even Shinobu in this chapter said to wano citizens that why do they lived a peaceful life during those times? so i can't blame Oden for that he was only fed up after the killing started again after five years.

2nd is where I missed the part where Oden not only danced to saved the 100 people each week but also as a part to APOLOGIZED to the Kurozumi clan when Orochi tells Oden that just by having the surname Kurozumi will get you killed he feels bad just base on his reaction it reminds me of the time when Roger said to Garp "a newborn child bears no sin" and Franky's "It's never a crime just to exist"to Robin Oden probably feels the same way the punishment should be over by stripping them of their power and the death of Orochi's grandfather.

Status
Not open for further replies.