Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 973: Kozuki Clan

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
β€Ž
A transitionary chapter, but a good one, nonetheless. I'm happy we got to see moments of Oden bonding with his family. That was sorely needed.

His little moment with Hiyori was cute. Her song seems in reference to Kaguya-hime. The princess of the moon from the Bamboo Cutter story. She was a princess who asked of impossible tasks from her suitors. Nice tie back to her later occupation as Komurasaki. And now we know why she plays her Shamisen a lot in the present. It's in respect to her late father whom she was unable to play for during his execution.

To the surprise of nobody, Kyoshiro is Denjiro. And the Ushimitsu Kozo. I'm happy we got this as now we're tying up all the loose ends before the fights. His transformation is odd, but its ties to Yokai could make sense. I always thought Kyoshiro resembled a fox, and if you compare him to Onimaru's fox form, you could see the resemblance. I like the suggestion by @Garp the Fist that he could be a Shimostsuki. The fact thought about going to a shrine located in one of the Shimotsuki's regions is interesting. And the resemblance and connection to foxes relates to Ushimaru who was Onimaru's partner, and since he raised Hiyori, he could've given her the fox mask she occasionally wore while playing the Shamisen.

Now we know he was playing an inside job. And we know why, it's to prevent the traitor that's among the alliance from revealing his identity. He might even know who it is, which is why he's refrained from any contact with his allies. And when he stopped Zoro, we now know he wasn't fighting with any sort of bloodlust. Makes him stalling Zoro look even more impressive.

And now we got Momonosuke's encounter with Kaido. Seems it even calls back to this little moment from right at the start of Dressrosa.

Pretty impressive how far Oda thought about all this. On to Momonosuke, Oden had high hopes for his son. Even thought about him becoming a warrior and getting girls as early as toddlerhood. It makes me a little sad knowing what Momo could've been had Oden lived. He clearly has a desire to be like his father, and hopes to become someone like him one day. However, due to the experiments he's incurred and living without a strong male rolemodel, we meet him as someone embodying traits of the villains who destroyed his country. He is a dragon of similar abilities to Kaido. A beast who ravaged his land and defeated his father. His cowardly and hedonistic behaviour upon introduction echo the disgrace of a shogun, Orochi. His journey is to better himself in the hopes of taking out the men who've done him wrong, whilst shedding himself of his imperfections which act as a reminder.

Toki is dead. That much is clear. She was ranting and raving about the prophecy to as many people as possible, and even did whilst having been shot by arrows. She's even implied to have collapsed. Momonosuke already confirmed there were witnesses to her death. But to my main point, it seems she had more reasons to go into the future than just finding Wano, and that involves something to do with what Oden learned with the Roger pirates. So we can confirm she would've done all she did regardless of Oden's instructions. She knew the significance of what should happen 20 years, but was happy to perish alongside her husband, who she's described as "the terminus of her venture."

Last edited:
A flashback within a flashback, the hell Oda :cautious:
Finally we see one of the numbers in action, sadly it ain't much thou, same with King, not much can be seen
Orochi is now trying to boil himself after he boils Oden, lol
we see why Inu and Neko have such distastes towards each other on Zou
Is it just me or did Oda off-paneling Toki using her df ability?
Denjiro is so mad that his face and hair color changed, damn, the dude deserves to be called "boss" after all the shit he went through
And also I wonder why Kaido toss Momo back to the castle, maybe he's disappointed or maybe he's waiting for him to ripe like Hisoka and Yujiro
Chapter felt too short

The secret to becoming a strong swordsman is napping?
:choppawhat:
Well, they became like Zenitsu

Chapter was actually not bad, but the fact that we're still in the flashback when Oda really made it seem like it ended last chapter is clouding my judgement. I enjoyed the chapter, but I really just want to be back in the present. The Kyoshiro/Denjiro stuff was really cool though.
He didnt make it seem that way at all. You interpreted it that way. All it says it "towards the future" which we got.

Cyrus the Cactus

Mihawk Reigns Supreme
β€Ž
It's looking pretty likely that Koshiro, Denjiro, Tashigi, Kuina and maybe even Zoro are all Shimotsuki's.

Koshiro's quite obviously the son of Kozaburo who left with the exiles.
Denjiro's the spitting image of Koshiro prior to his perma-madman face. I'm also led to believe that all their names imply this but I don't speak Japanese so can't confirm this

Denjiro's sword prior to going into hiding looks extremely similar to Wado Ichimonji, which is a Kozaburo made blade.

Small one, but when Tashigi (who as we know looks really like Kuina) had her hair slicked back again, she looked like she could be Denjiro's daughter- not saying she is, just the two characters look really alike.

And Zoro's been heavily linked with all these characters now, and Ryuma, Yasu and Toko and to boot still looks rather similar to Ushimatsu's silhouette. Plus he lived in the village founded by Shimotsuki exiles.
Y’know, if Denjiro is a Shimotsuki it could explain how Hiyori knew about Wado Ichimonji, like Hitetsu mentioned in chapter 955

Denjiro's transformation could have been great if managed properly, but how Oda has worked it feels a bit uninspired. Imagine Denjiro in the loneliness of his room using makeup to disguise himself but having trouble to apply it because the rage will keep him shaking, or an explicit contrast between the peaceful environment of winter and a Denjiro so angry that even melts the snow that touches his hot skin, and so on. I don't know, details with strong rhetorics. The way Oda did it was fine, but lacking for me.
I don't want to sound like an asshole, but your scenario sucks compared to Oda's mate LOL
Maybe that's just my taste though

Who else didn't like the way Oda explained the changes in Denjiro's appearance..??
I LOVED IT
It was more than your avarage simple "makeup" which people were claiming it to be!

This one seems way more interesting... and it gives more complex to "how it happened". Specially with the existance of a character like "Hakuba" before him. This whole idea of "curse" to change the face is something intriguing in the story, specially if cursed swords has something to do with them, or any kind of curse

It's more intriguing than ALL the fans speculations before about how Denjiro turned into Kyoshiro before this chapter came out, which majorly were:
1- DF ability (so fucking repetitive) And NOT INTRIGUING
2- Make up

Status
Not open for further replies.