Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 973: Kozuki Clan

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So happy to hear nothing is going wrong with Oda's health! This chapter felt very cinematic the way it cut out scenes we've already experienced but threw in the ones missing. It serves to tie a bow of sorts over all the holes between the past the present. I guess Oda could have just flashed back to these things individually, but decided to get them over with all in one go.

Oden's family moments get me every time. We just don't get pirates with wholesome families in the series. It seems like every pirate, male and female, is a bachelor who just engages with prostitutes on the side and maybe has an abandoned kid somewhere. Big Mom being the big exception, though her family is a front for what is really just her personal army. Oden was a family man pirate, his wife and kids sailed on the legendary Whitebeard and Roger's crews, proving there is room for this kind of dynamic in every crew. I very much appreciate seeing this unique side of Oden and Toki.

Kaido's full forces make it all the way to Oden castle, they even get there before the Scabbards. Kaido and King's aerial mobility easily let them to take an army on their backs and cross the skies faster than Samurai fighting pursuers on foot. One of the Numbers actually shows up 20 years ago and gets the credit for capturing Neko and Inu. The way things were looking, I figured all the Tobbi Roppo and Numbers only joined after the flashback but it looks like at least one of these guys was around 20 years ago. The Number easily dwarfs Kaido and Big Mom, they're giant powerful brutes who may or may not be using a Zoan DF. It's now a very safe assumption that none of the Numbers have SMILE DFs, Doflamingo and Caesar didn't even know each back then. We get a full unobscured shot of biker Kaido's body from back then and that is definitely Katakuri's dad lol. Kaido mocking and strangling a child over a drop of several stories easily explains Momo's severe PTSD triggered by mere mentions of Kaido, and finally connects all his memories from Zou and Dressrosa.

I'm glad Toki finally got her moment. Escaping a burning castle and running past Kaido's army on horseback is no small feat. And then we see that rather than escape into the future, which she admits has been her cowardly way of life for the past 800 years, Toki instead chooses to die to leave behind a little flame of hope for the people of Wano so they have a reason to survive 20 years of hell after Oden's fall. That was Toki jumping into her own pot to try and lift up Wano after the Kozuki family's failure. I say she's dead because using her power in front of crowd is information that would make it back to Orochi, and traveling with a gun shot wound could still kill her in the future. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing Toki again until it's time to find out what happened during the Void Century and that may be beyond the scope of Wano.

Denjiro taking his rage, his shame, his sorrow into the Enma temple and then emerging as a demon was great. When your parents tell you to stop making that face, Denjiro never stopped. That's exactly the dramatic transformation needed to turn around and serve the cowardly scoundrel who took advantage of your lord, betrayed his friendship and trust, then used his power as Shogun to kill him and ruin the rest of Wano. There was really no other way I would believe one of Oden's loyal Scabbards effectively acts as Orochi's right hand man for the next 20 years. It sounds like a good plan, but could you actually withstand looking at Orochi's face every week for the next 20 years at not lop his head off? Now we finally see he's been doing quite a bit behind his back, possibly to keep himself sane. Hiyori was educated and protected even as she defied Orochi to his face. Hiyori took some money from the bad elements living the capital and Denjiro Robin Hoods that to the towns in the outskirts.

I believe we're only now about to find out what Denjiro's truly been planning inside the capital. He has gained power and influence by Orochi's side for a reason. Ahsura stole supplies, acquired Kaido's blue prints, and amassed outlaws under his name. Kamawatsu protected Hiyori for some time, collected the wills and weapons of Wano's fallen, his inspiring loyalty created a successor to continue his job even after he got captured. Neko and Inu probably got away thanks to Ashura and Denjiro, or maybe Kyoshiro later set them free by secret. Nice to finally know their spat from last chapter spiraled into accusations of being a spy, to later dividing Zou into day and night. In Zou they managed to raise and rule an army of warrior Minks as well as protect another Road Poneglyph from Kaido and any other aspiring pirates. Just when Orochi thinks he has the alliance checkmated and cornered thanks to a spy, here we are presented with Orochi's own insider Denjiro.

Didn't wanna read these crap translations but I was bored so fuck it.

This was an interesting chapter. Not because of anything crazy but because of how it adds to the characterization of Oden & his kids. Fleshing out his relationship with his family just a little. I hope we continue to get small scenes like that in the future. Momo & Hiyori reminiscing on moments with their father and mother.

But the part that really stood out to me was the interaction between Momonosuke and Kaidou. First we get an understanding of why Momo refuses to fly as a Dragon. He doesn't just fear flying he's afraid of heights. It seems like that for whatever reason Kaidou was interested in the Son of the Man whom he fought and seemingly respected. He even wanted to know his name. Why? What was he hoping to find? What kind of answer was he looking for? It may be possible that Kaido was hoping that Momo had a strong will like his father and would eventually come back to seek revenge and was disappointed when he saw that Momo was so pathetic. He really is looking for an opponent strong enough to kill him. Strong enough to give him the death he's been searching for.

I can't tell if Momo's declaration that he will someday rule the country is foreshadowing for him becoming Shogun or him joining the strawhats. Because Kaidou's comment afterwards seems to contradict it. Now, I really don't want him to join the strawhats but this seems to be set up for Momo finding his own dream that may not have anything to do with ruling Wano. Combined with the parallels of his father sailing with the Pirate King it's possible that he may do the same by traveling with Luffy.

Afterwards we get the reiteration of one of One Piece's major themes. Those regarding the Sun and the Darkness. The Strawhats as we all know are thematically the Sun that washes away the Darkness. And here we have the citizens of Wano and Lady Toki mentioning Wano being trapped in dark times without the sun and the blinding sunrise that will obliterate this darkness.

Then we have Orochi being a pussy as usual and the confirmation that Denjiro is in fact Kyoshiro just like everyone predicted. The most confusing part about that bit is how he changed. Thats either a reference to something in japanese culture we're not aware of or something related to Haki. Either way I need this explained Oda. Stop toying with me.

Denjiro taking his rage, his shame, his sorrow into the Enma temple and then emerging as a demon was great. When your parents tell you to stop making that face, Denjiro never stopped. That's exactly the dramatic transformation needed to turn around and serve the cowardly scoundrel who took advantage of your lord, betrayed his friendship and trust, then used his power as Shogun to kill him and ruin the rest of Wano. There was really no other way I would believe one of Oden's loyal Scabbards effectively acts as Orochi's right hand man for the next 20 years. It sounds like a good plan, but could you actually withstand looking at Orochi's face every week for the next 20 years at not lop his head off? Now we finally see he's been doing quite a bit behind his back, possibly to keep himself sane. Hiyori was educated and protected even as she defied Orochi to his face. Hiyori took some money from the bad elements living the capital and Denjiro Robin Hoods that to the towns in the outskirts.
Playing Robin Hood at Night and Hiyori safe upbringing might have been the only two things that kept him sane all these years.

Furthermore, Kyoshiro certainly had many opportunities of slaying Orochii himself and neither did he allow Zoro to killl Orochii, so case can be made that he might be saving Orochii for Momo/Hiyori.
Or he wants the alliance to take Both Orochii n Kaidou out in one full swoop. Taking out Orochii without tackling Pirates(Kaidou) might also have severe drawbacks.

Ahsura stole supplies, acquired Kaido's blue prints, and amassed outlaws[/B] under his name. Kamawatsu protected Hiyori for some time, collected the wills and weapons of Wano's fallen, his inspiring loyalty created a successor to continue his job even after he got captured. Neko and Inu probably got away thanks to Ashura and Denjiro, or maybe Kyoshiro later set them free by secret. Nice to finally know their spat from last chapter spiraled into accusations of being a spy, to later dividing Zou into day and night. In Zou they managed to raise and rule an army of warrior Minks as well as protect another Road Poneglyph from Kaido and any other aspiring pirates.
Good points, they each served there roles of Oden Retainers perfectly.

Kozuki Clan
Cover: Gotti counterattacking the Navy. I wonder if we will see a big piece of Navy in the next few pages.

At first, I had read the chapter on the cell phone and it hadn't seemed anything special to me. By reselling it, however, on the PC I reassessed it.

In any case, it was said that, on the previous cap, it was written that in this cap we would return to the present ... which did not happen. Isn't it that Oda changed her mind at the end ?!

(would be capable!)

It starts with Oden when he was in Roger's crew and they were descending from the sky from Skypea, with Toki, Momonosuke and Hyori.

We return to him with his family and men in Kuri after his return from Raftel.

Aimed at others, Oden talks about the ties present with Zou, the land of minks. And we also see some family life.

We return to after the execution of Oden, when Kinemon and Kiku, chased by enemies, stop and take them out.

We also see part of the attack on the Kozuki castle. Shinobu is also present, on our side. There is the first big quarrel between Dog-storm and Cat-viper, which then, as we know, will result in a perpetual squabble for the next twenty years.

The two are captured by Numbers, the giant monsters that we had previously seen in the present. It makes me strange that Kaido already owned them at the time. In any case, it seems that Ashura and Denjiro stop just to fight one of these beings.

Meanwhile, King is in front of the castle and, perhaps, it is he who sets it on fire.

Kaido trying to kill Momonosuke isn't exactly the best of strength. It is seen that he leaves him in the burning building and leaves the place in the form of a dragon.

Kinemon reaches Toki, with Momo and Hyori in his arms. And the journey through time begins. I wonder if there is a reason that Denjiro and Hyori didn't go with them, or not.

We also see how Toki, at first, managed to escape, only to die shortly thereafter, killed by enemy firearms.

Orochi who seems to want to imitate Oden is strange.

The part of Kyoshiro is very interesting. We have confirmed that he is Denjiro. I've been thinking about it for a long time, since at least when that acronym in which you saw yourself in the middle of the Sheaths had come out. His change was easily explained as the cause of a devil fruit.

Kyoshiro the Sleeper, however, appears to have no such powers and he speaks of simple anger himself. In my opinion, Oda wanted to pay homage to some legend or to belong to Japanese folklore: he is doing it with a few characters. Oda is crazy about tributes and tributes.

In short, he became Orochi's bodyguard and also the head of the yakuza.

He also impersonates the figure of the bandit called Ushimitsu, who should be a local Robin Hood.

It reminds me very much of Cavendish, precisely because it seems to have developed, in all respects, a double personality. Take note: Denjiro and Kyoshiro look like two completely different people. The second seems a samurai version of Doflamingo and Cracker: who could ever believe that he is one of the Sheaths ?!

Currently, he is my favorite character Wa: this is because it fascinates and intrigues me. Other than that, I think we still don't know all about him.

Now, in theory, it should ally with Luffy's lineup, however, I don't think things will go that way, or at least not so soon.

For me, he will always be Zoro's main opponent in this saga. I remind you that the two have an outstanding fight to continue. Upon the execution of Yasue, Kyoshiro has shown that he can cope with the swordsman, much to the latter's surprise.

And, again in my opinion, he will always be Wa's strongest samurai. Then, after being defeated, he can help ours too.

We also had confirmation that Hyori is Komurasaki. She and Kyo seem to have a particular relationship, after Wa, they may even get together, for all intents and purposes.

I have a forcing / inconsistency. Why has the Orochi-Kaido alliance failed to find and defeat Ashura in these twenty years? Now that this alliance hasn't looked for Kiku in the past twenty years, it is justifiable that the latter was not a real problem. This is not the case with Ashura, however, who must have been the strongest sheath at the time. Forty years ago, he was very famous, already one of the strongest on the island and was already a monster capable of keeping up with Oden for several hours. And twenty years ago, it must have become even stronger and more dangerous. Not to mention the current one, which is able to even stand up to Jack, a Top Commanders, although I doubt he is able to defeat him. In the crew of the Hundred Beasts, there are characters capable of flying and who should have found the bandit without too much difficulty, including Kaido and King himself.

Cute chapter.
Rating: 6.5 / 10

Kozuki Clan
Cover: Gotti counterattacking the Navy. I wonder if we will see a big piece of Navy in the next few pages.

At first, I had read the chapter on the cell phone and it hadn't seemed anything special to me. By reselling it, however, on the PC I reassessed it.

In any case, it was said that, on the previous cap, it was written that in this cap we would return to the present ... which did not happen. Isn't it that Oda changed her mind at the end ?!

(would be capable!)

It starts with Oden when he was in Roger's crew and they were descending from the sky from Skypea, with Toki, Momonosuke and Hyori.

We return to him with his family and men in Kuri after his return from Raftel.

Aimed at others, Oden talks about the ties present with Zou, the land of minks. And we also see some family life.

We return to after the execution of Oden, when Kinemon and Kiku, chased by enemies, stop and take them out.

We also see part of the attack on the Kozuki castle. Shinobu is also present, on our side. There is the first big quarrel between Dog-storm and Cat-viper, which then, as we know, will result in a perpetual squabble for the next twenty years.

The two are captured by Numbers, the giant monsters that we had previously seen in the present. It makes me strange that Kaido already owned them at the time. In any case, it seems that Ashura and Denjiro stop just to fight one of these beings.

Meanwhile, King is in front of the castle and, perhaps, it is he who sets it on fire.

Kaido trying to kill Momonosuke isn't exactly the best of strength. It is seen that he leaves him in the burning building and leaves the place in the form of a dragon.

Kinemon reaches Toki, with Momo and Hyori in his arms. And the journey through time begins. I wonder if there is a reason that Denjiro and Hyori didn't go with them, or not.

We also see how Toki, at first, managed to escape, only to die shortly thereafter, killed by enemy firearms.

Orochi who seems to want to imitate Oden is strange.

The part of Kyoshiro is very interesting. We have confirmed that he is Denjiro. I've been thinking about it for a long time, since at least when that acronym in which you saw yourself in the middle of the Sheaths had come out. His change was easily explained as the cause of a devil fruit.

Kyoshiro the Sleeper, however, appears to have no such powers and he speaks of simple anger himself. In my opinion, Oda wanted to pay homage to some legend or to belong to Japanese folklore: he is doing it with a few characters. Oda is crazy about tributes and tributes.

In short, he became Orochi's bodyguard and also the head of the yakuza.

He also impersonates the figure of the bandit called Ushimitsu, who should be a local Robin Hood.

It reminds me very much of Cavendish, precisely because it seems to have developed, in all respects, a double personality. Take note: Denjiro and Kyoshiro look like two completely different people. The second seems a samurai version of Doflamingo and Cracker: who could ever believe that he is one of the Sheaths ?!

Currently, he is my favorite character Wa: this is because it fascinates and intrigues me. Other than that, I think we still don't know all about him.

Now, in theory, it should ally with Luffy's lineup, however, I don't think things will go that way, or at least not so soon.

For me, he will always be Zoro's main opponent in this saga. I remind you that the two have an outstanding fight to continue. Upon the execution of Yasue, Kyoshiro has shown that he can cope with the swordsman, much to the latter's surprise.

And, again in my opinion, he will always be Wa's strongest samurai. Then, after being defeated, he can help ours too.

We also had confirmation that Hyori is Komurasaki. She and Kyo seem to have a particular relationship, after Wa, they may even get together, for all intents and purposes.

I have a forcing / inconsistency. Why has the Orochi-Kaido alliance failed to find and defeat Ashura in these twenty years? Now that this alliance hasn't looked for Kiku in the past twenty years, it is justifiable that the latter was not a real problem. This is not the case with Ashura, however, who must have been the strongest sheath at the time. Forty years ago, he was very famous, already one of the strongest on the island and was already a monster capable of keeping up with Oden for several hours. And twenty years ago, it must have become even stronger and more dangerous. Not to mention the current one, which is able to even stand up to Jack, a Top Commanders, although I doubt he is able to defeat him. In the crew of the Hundred Beasts, there are characters capable of flying and who should have found the bandit without too much difficulty, including Kaido and King himself.

Cute chapter.
Rating: 6.5 / 10
Stop it. He won't be Zoro's opponent anymore, it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.