• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogard

You can't win
It's funny how fast Robin jumped from the Franky ship
Franky: Will you ride on the back?
Robin: Oh! I can ride? Thank you *hearts* ****
(*note: translated the word robin used here ("ureshii") as "thank you" but it literally translates to "I'm happy". However the literal translation feels a bit weird to me personally, so I used a word I think is more appropriate. Anyways, the word she used here in this context is used to express delight)
Brook: Well in that case, I'll be in your care.
Franky: Like hell I was asking you!!! I was obviously asking the female!!
To the Jinbei ship this chapter
Robin: You're so mature, it puts me at ease.
Jinbe: I want to be useful in this initial battle!
:catsure:

Oh and congratz for the records. This spoiler thread the most comments in the forum history :optimistic:

First mate =/= Vice captain

It's funny because he is both :jordanmf:
Vice captain isn't a concept that exists in ship hierarchy, that's a fan misconception. What you think that is called "vice captain" (second in authority within a crew) is actually named first mate. And I assume you're thinking that "first mate" is that who joined first, but it isn't. Check the actual meaning of the word instead of interpreting it wrongly. Zoro was the first to join but he isn't the first mate.

Don't blame me but the official sources. Marco was the doctor and was never given the title of first mate in Vivre Cards. Katakuri is the strongest Sweet Commander but, again, hasn't been addressed with such role. Same for Zoro, who is the combatant o the crew.

I have no feelings on the issue. I'm just showing you the factual information that "first mate" is a speciffic official role given to a small amount of right-hand men that sometimes aren't even the clear strongest in the crew (Mohji was portrayed to be equal to Cabaji in a cover story and they're both arguably under Galdino, and Jango was Kuro's first mate yet was defeated by Usopp).

What I'm saying doesn't even deny Zoro's authority, in case you were understanding it that way. I'm simply addressing the common misconception of thinking that every right-hand man is the first mate of their crews even though they haven't been given that title and not every crew really follows that hierarchy.

Zoro's official role is combatant, same as Lucky Roo. Check the Vivre Cards.

He has been only alluded as the first mate by a Bartolomeo that explicitly stated that he was considered as such by him, not in a official way nor by the world as he specifies "(by me)" (and Bartolomeo is a caricature of fanboys, not Oda). In case you were wondering, Urouge never, ever pronounces the word "first mate" (you can check the raw panel if you want).

Kuroobi was arguably stronger than Hatchan and was defeated by Sanji and the only supreme officer of Doflamingo that was clearly portrayed above the rest was Vergo, not Pica, who was put alongside Trébol and Diamante in a SBS (while Vergo was alongside Doflamingo) and had the exact same bounty as those two.

And at the end of the day what you wrote is irrelevant because what I'm discussing is that first mate is a very specific title that only a few right-hand men share, not that Zoro isn't the second strongest or Luffy's right-hand man.

Zoro literally is the combatant, like Lucky Roo but unlike Benn Beckman (one of the few right-hand men officially addressed as first mate).
The amount of denial in this post is unreal. Zoro has always been Luffy's right hand man.

Doflamingo to Vergo: "Out of everyone, you and I go back the furthest"

Quite literally the case for Rayleigh and Zoro.

Mr. 1 was clearly the strongest under Crocodile. Ohm was clearly the strongest under Enel (0% survival rate). Kaku has the highest douriki under Lucci. The list goes on. If you want to throw around Hacchan and Pica as examples, then include these. Zoro was half dying dealing with Hacchan and Zoro was the only other actual Strawhat who took out an executive in Doffy's crew. Law took out Trebol and Vergo, Kyros took out Diamante.

So again, we all fail to see your point entirely because it's a moot argument. Zoro is Luffy's right hand and always has been

Last edited:
Vice captain isn't a concept that exists in ship hierarchy, that's a fan misconception. What you think that is called "vice captain" (second in authority within a crew) is actually named first mate. And I assume you're thinking that "first mate" is that who joined first, but it isn't. Check the actual meaning of the word instead of interpreting it wrongly. Zoro was the first to join but he isn't the first mate.
Bruh, that's literally the definition of "First Mate" lmao. Read the two words together XD

Edit: Anyway, dont take the above literally. I know that's not the definition. The point is, Zoro's position has been implied to be the first mate for years.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
First mate is the one who takes the duties of the captain when he is unable.
Now think what kind of captain luffy is and who steps up to the plate when he cant do his duities.

Ok, but I have a bad news.

According to the Shueisha latest announcement, they gonna prolong the date of work at home until at least the end of the month. So the magazines or publication might be influenced sometimes. If the released date of magazine gonna change, they will inform by SNS.

Sourse: Shueisha official website

Last edited:
The amount of denial in this post is unreal. Zoro has always been Luffy's right hand man.

Doflamingo to Vergo: "Out of everyone, you and I go back the furthest"

Quite literally the case for Rayleigh and Zoro.

Mr. 1 was clearly the strongest under Crocodile. Ohm was clearly the strongest under Enel (0% survival rate). Kaku has the highest douriki under Lucci. The list goes on. If you want to throw around Hacchan and Pica as examples, then include these. Zoro was half dying dealing with Hacchan and Zoro was the only other actual Strawhat who took out am executive in Doffy's crew. Law took out Trebol and Vergo, Kyro took out Diamante.

So again, we all fail to see your point entirely because it's a moot argument. Zoro is Luffy's right hand and always has been
Zoro has always been Luffy's right hand man. But not every right hand man is a first mate. You fail to see my point because you haven't understood yet that "first mate" is a specific title in this manga that hasn't been given to every right hand man. So before answering me again I'd suggest you to investigate the canon information I'm sharing here because you're completely missing the point.

Bruh, that's literally the definition of "First Mate" lmao. Read the two words together XD
I guess you believe that an hippopotamus is an equine that lives in rivers, since you like to take words literally.

I covered this mistake recently so I will just quote myself:

Oxford dictionary: the officer on a commercial ship just below the rank of captain or master.

Cambridge dictionary: the second most important officer on a ship that is not part of the navy.

Webster dictionary: the officer on a ship who is most important after the captain.

And so on.

The word "vice captain" is mainly used in sports, if I recall correctly. When we're talking about the crew of a ship the word referring the official directly under the captain in hierarchy is "first mate". Thinking that "first mate" is a concept that refers to the first guy to join the crew is baseless.

In this particular case you're following a wrong interpretation of the words, in fact. This mate is "first" because he's above any other mate of the captain in hierarchy, ergo the number one among them, not because he was the first to join. That's a made up definition.
The actual meaning of that word, to summarize, is way different than your literal yet flawed understanding of it.

First mate is the one who takes the duties of the captain when he is unable.
Now think what kind of captain luffy is and who steps up to the plate when he cant do his duities.
First mate is first mate. Benn Beckman is Shanks's right hand man and his first mate as an official role while Lucky Roo is their combatant. Marco was Whitebeard's right hand man but the doctor as an official role. Zoro is Luffy's right hand man but the combatant as an official role. And none of these two are officially addresed as first mates in their vivre cards.

yj

👑YNWA 👑
go to sleep. First mate= vice captain just like Rayleigh and Benn beckman.

Status
Not open for further replies.