Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 981 : "Engagement"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man it was just an awesome chapter!!
Oda is mixing up different events very well since the start of Onigashima!!
This chapter was hilarious as hell....Kidd, Luffy, Zoro complaining about each others recklessness and Killer's reaction to that was absolute gold xD
BM meeting Chopper, Sanji rushing towards Black Maria estate felt funny after long time!!
Queen's reaction after seeing Kidd was funny as well
I liked the design of the number!! He looks quite strong... I wonder if numbers and Tobi Roppo are parallel tiers in Kaido's crew...( Maybe Kaido values TR more because they obey him more xD)
Marco is back!!!! I'm hyped!! He is fighting after a long time it seems!!
Kaido did not give BMP any info about the port....May be he is trying to back stab BM in Onigashima!!! Kaido seems to be more cunning than I expected!!
Hope some more former WB commanders are in the ship... Waiting for Izo, Kiku reunion!!

As was imaginable: Apoo get up.

Kidd is attacked by a giant, a member of Numbers, like Apoo himself.

Let's discover the weak point of the latter.

Who appears, who still seems interested only in Yamato, the son of Kaido, despite the battle has already started. He is with what his crew .
We see Kinemon's group proceed in another position, and run into the residence of Black Maria, which is also a brothel, where Sanji enters, and then comes out sad, having not found any woman. A door opens and Big Mom sees and recognizes Chopper: do not panic, ours will be able to escape 1000%.

Marco's arrival is very cool, but, nevertheless, it was something that I had imagined since the beginning of the saga. When I saw Kaido's First Commander turn into a fired pterodatyl, I said to myself, this one was built by Oda, certainly, to be Marco's final opponent in this saga. Another Emperor asked them to join his crew (in the case of Marco, it was Shanks who asked him, while, as regards King, Big Mom asked him). Marco's entry into the scene, in this chapter, is similar to that of King at the beginning of the saga: both, with one blow, prevent Linlin's ship from reaching the peak of the waterfall (I'm sure the crew will still arrive in Onigashima and fight against the mugiwara).
The scene in which Neko asked for Marco's help and he refused, was not to be taken seriously, since it was clearly made to put us in doubt and create the big surprise when Marco would then really get there. If Oda hadn't done this, we wouldn't have had the twist in this chapter.

IMHO, there are four other individuals that I think will arrive: Moria, Blackbeard, Weeble and Shanks.

In the next chapter, I imagine that Oda will show us all of Whitebeard's ex crew, while Marco's bounty, in my opinion, Oda will show it when he will fight with King: at that point, there will show both bounties.

Rating: 1.5 / 2

Now that I'm looking at the panels again, I just realized Oda made Marco's ship pineapple themed :suresure:

Funny coincidence. You're looking at Nekomamushi's ship which we saw in chapter 909 upon first meeting Marco.
Neko's ship has a neat design representing his home. The figurehead of the ship is Zunesha, while the pineapples are the types of homes the forest minks including Neko and his guardians all live in.
Imagine if Oda designed Zou based on Neko recruiting Marco for the Wano war in the future. :usoprice:

Funny coincidence. You're looking at Nekomamushi's ship which we saw in chapter 909 upon first meeting Marco.
Neko's ship has a neat design representing his home. The figure head of the ship is Zunesha, while the pinnenaples are the types of homes the forest minks including Neko and his guardians all live in.
Imagine if Oda designed Zou based on Neko recruiting Marco for the Wano war in the future. :usoprice:
Nice catch!

Where have I nitpicked any quote? You're just ignoring context for Katakuri's to build him up lmao.

And proceed to have Vietnam flashbacks the second he sees a shadow (Note: Cannot even discern its true size or shape) on the horizon and sweats bullets.

Headcanon.

Whitebeard has his idealized family. Big Mom is a queen bee spitting out children who she has no respect for what so ever. Even Pudding, the most valuable person in Big Mom's goal of becoming Pirate King, got zero love or tenderness. Big Mom being a cold bitch is on purpose and not because she's afraid of Luffy's boytoy.

He seems pretty familiar with his top subordinates. Queen referred to him as Kaido-san when Kaido personally called to tell him of Komurosaki's death. He's overly familiar with the Tobi Roppo and even tried (meekly) to stop them from fighting, like he was afraid of getting caught up in it.

Really, evidence points towards Kaido liking his elite a lot.

Can Big Mom react to random lasers from Kizaru? Probably.
Can Big Mom react to King? Nope.

I mean... Again, this is like having someone's Redhawk equivalent being equal to a base Luffy's punch equivalent. If you find that sad than that's really on you lmao. The fact King's also an ancient Zoan means he's more than likely going to be a beast with stamina too, so fully expect King to be the most well rounded FM.
I dont get all this King downplaying, so far Oda hasn't even introduce his bounty nor any specific about his Race or anything relate to his swordsmanship or hybrid form. In case of Marco he had a full arc to shine. As a fans we have to be patience and wait.

I find it intriguing that Oda has showed a lot about Jack and Queen character/power but is holding back so much King. Jack had a the Zou arc, Queen had the udon mini arc, King? Well we are in Onigashima is time for the big boy to shine right?
I have high expectation about King. Normally in shonen the later you enter the better cuz you are more relevant especially if the predominant factor is battle.

King will shine :king:

Why didn't Smoothie stop Marco with a flying slash, though?
BMP could only climb to the top of the waterfall at the same time Marco was behind, Peros could not create a candy staircase along the cliff to move to the top of the waterfall and reduce the weight of the boat, less dangerous. Daifuku had a giant god and could not summon to lift their boat easily.
:josad::josad:

Status
Not open for further replies.