Chapter Discussion One Piece - Chapter 981 : "Engagement"

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you suspect?
I don't really have a solid guess right now.

I'd say not Jack, because there's already the grudge between Jack and the Minks, so adding another one would maybe be a bit too much. But other than that it could be anyone. It could even be Kaido. Maybe he wants to be a Calamity to get closer to him and backstab him.

One of my favorite color spreads in recent memory. Time to look at some conversations that may have been cleared up...
Interesting comment from Oda this week. It's one thing if Oda remembers that Heat from the Kid Pirates can shoot a fire blast from his mouth, but I have hope he's looking at more than that. I'm thinking he's using the battle database to plan strategies around the characters abilities, because I imagine more than any other arc in OP that Wano will have so many team up battles. Multiple friends or enemies teaming up against various individuals. Like the kinds of strategies Luffy and Law pulled off against Doffy together, Oda would look at complete movesets and start to get ideas for how characters can combine in interesting ways. Perhaps even decide who teams up with who based on that.
I like the little *yoink* Kid does to Apoo here. It's like he's doing the Yonji thing and retracting his mechanical arm. If he has that kind of precision control over his metal parts, it would show Kid is tremendously skilled.
Apoo is so damn cynical here. Is he acting cowardly or just realistic? He might have had a rough New World journey, ready to hang up his coat and live life as one of Kaido's Tobiroppo. Almost like his dreams got crushed, all we know is he got booted out of BM's territory with nothing to show for it unlike Kid and Urouge. No other Worst Generation has given up like Apoo in this way. I'm pretty interested in finding more of what happened to him.
This is just tragic. Killer is the most calm and serious guy there, but because of his SMILE he's forced to FAFAFA occasionally like a madman.
Lol. This guy has scythe for arms. What kind of animal just has straight up scythes for arms? I guess after the Meltan debacle with Kid, Oda decided Scyther is canon to the OPverse too.
These cats sure have some nerve, too good to catch rats now? The most interesting part of Who's Who group is that an eye-tattoo gang member works for him. That could possibly confirm them all, one of them was gifter who felt enough of a big shot to go after Luffy and Zoro for that Tobiroppo promotion, and Bao Huang is confirmed Headliner with flying squirrel powers. Who's Who former pirate crew might have been pretty formidable above the average Supernova crew. I hope we get to see Sasaki's crew too, another Fishmen crew would be lovely.
This man wearing sneakers and a track suit and tops it all off with the coconut hair. I take it back, I love Hacha.

I still don't know who's talking here. Some fodder criticizing the strength of the Numbers looks odd. Are Hacha and the Numbers ineligible for promotion? They could be ally subordinates like Squardo and Oars Jr., meaning they can't move up the Beast Pirates meritocracy. But Squaro and Oars run their own pirate crews, do the Numbers also have crews? They were hanging out with Apoo who clearly had his old crewmates back when he was making the alliance with Kid and Hawkins.
I can't believe I missed those stalactites in the back. Onigashima is a giant cavern! We've seen all sorts of thematic settings from cloud islands, underwater civilizations, cowboy western-themed islands, desert islands, futuristic islands, jungle islands, food islands, etc. Cave exploring is one of the few themes we haven't covered at all, it's so great to realize we're going cave exploring while fighting a war. And yes, that includes the Pleasure Hall.
"Prepare for battle! Don't be caught unawares!!" Perospero furious and preparing everyone for King again. Then they completely fall for the same trick again. I guess the fact that it was Marco stunned them to the point they didn't do anything. She-who-shall-not-be-named clearly only values men of high status, and Kaido is the one man above Katakuri so he's at the top of her list.
Pretty much nobody except you-know-who likes the idea of Big Mom teaming up with Kaido. They evidently just found out about the alliance, were ordered to climb up the waterfall by Big Mom, and were most likely doing their thing out at sea before then. They all think she's lost it and are disrespecting their captain. Smoothie knows at the end of the day, it's not up for debate and all they can do is obey. Galette is sadistic as ever, I think I've seen her made these bloodthirsty comments before which just makes it funnier when she turned into a helpless brat when the Whole Cake Chateau was falling down.
I like to imagine Marco punctured the hull and that's how the BMP don't just immediately sail up the waterfall again. Perospero could fix it with candy, but it would a tricky operation if too much water enters before then. If it's not damaged, this looks not too impressive from Marco. King was in his beast form and couldn't draw his sword, so he just pushed the ship down with a leg. Marco fights with his legs and especially the sharp talons are what he tried to cut Akainu with. A named attack from Marco should be blowing open a hole in a ship the Strawhats damaged with some cannonballs, but I guess he's a little too chill from revisiting Wano right now.

Marco went ahead of Whitebeard's crew the first time the landed in Wano, and now he's done it again. Nekomaushi's ship is so small I have to wonder just how many Whitebeard Pirates Oda wants to bring into this. For sure, I would count on the original guys that made it to Oden's Wano.

Last edited:
Honestly, when I look at different Yonko crew, I truly see a HUGE difference between YC1 and the rest of YC from 2-4 or more

On the other hand, regardless of how you feel about WBPs, Marco/Jozu/Vista feats in Marineford were pretty close in that they ALL were clashing with:
- Kizaru
- Aokiji
- Mihawk

Without the need to go all out or be overwhelmed, UNTIL distraction came up with the first two Characters to settle their fights...
Note: Vista wasn't clashing with Mihawk when those distractions were happening...

Point I'm trying to make, I feel difference in quality between WBP and rest of Yonko crew ALREADY (with all respect to other yonko crew)

VIZ fucked up that last page. Marco's speech doesn't even make any sense.

And the worst is VIZ translating Marco's move as "Phoenix Brand".

"Mark of the Phoenix" is 1000x better because it's a play on "Marco the Phoenix". "Phoenix Brand" sounds stupid.
People need to stop giving a fuck about Viz. Their translations aren’t any better than most other translations

Status
Not open for further replies.