Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 985: New Onigashima

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Akainu is the puppet face for the people dragon wants to take down. If anything the leader of the revos will fight the leader of the world imu. sabo or luffy will take down akainu. Dragon doesn’t give 2 shits about akainu.
Dragon is busy setting up his new HQ on Ivankov's Kingdom after running from Blackbeard, then sending his commanders to the holy land while sipping tea with Koala
:milaugh:

Ok this was a great chapter but one’s reading experience was ruined by the shoddy English translations available. A few thoughts:

Luffy and Yamato interact like equals. Which is nice. The spoilers mentioned a flashback, but all we get is Yamato telling Luffy and the readers that she’d been kept and beaten up since she was 8 years old. Very telling that. And based on the lousy scans, it seems that she’s not even absolutely certain the cuffs will explode. Why does Oda add this bit of dialogue (if it’s translated correctly)? Feels like he wants some ambiguity concerning whether Kaidou is truly an abusive parent or perhaps not quite?

Also Luffy straight out called her on her charade. Then she even admits he’s even more of an Oden copy than she is. So, she’s not completely lost in a delusion.

As to her chances of becoming a crewmember, I’m ok with any option really. Whether she becomes one or not it’s all fine and dandy by me.

Nekomamushi and Inuarashi replacing their lost limbs with a machine gun arm and a sword leg respectively. Trust Oda to make it look both wacky and cool at the same time. Their Sulong versions are going to be something alright.

Kanjuro vs everyone shows the guy has guts. Or as he’s behaved up to now, he’ll live or die by his performance. His living art looks suitably creepy, like the man himself.

Kaidou’s announcement sets stout hearts trembling in fear and shakes the world. The abolishment of the Shichibukai sends a message to the Yonkou that the WG are confident in their newly developed power the SSGs. Now is the time for the Beast Pirates and the BMP to ally to counter this new threat. To overcome and achieve victory they will seek out the Ancient Weapons and then, the One Piece itself.

Then Kaidou slices Orochi’s head clean off. Literally and figuratively cutting out the entire Wano revenge subplot. Could Orochi be alive especially with his DF’s full potential unrevealed? More than likely.

But, if he stays dead in the story then it’s probably because Oda (or his editors made him) realized the entire Wano revenge plot was taking too much space and time. Ultimately, the Wano arc was meant to lead to bigger things like the Ancient Weapons and One Piece – the whole deal with Oden’s flashback, the backstory to Zou – it was all meant to point beyond just simply defeating and killing Kaidou and Orochi and opening the borders. It was meant to move this two decade story forward that much closer to the end, the One Piece itself.

If Orochi comes back alive all that is achieved is Oda would have to spend pages and panels showing him losing his individual heads one by one as each Scabbard lopes them off, before what? Having 8-year old Momo finish him off and become the second youngest murderer in One Piece? It’s not like Orochi suddenly becomes a power house able to trouble the likes of Denjiro, Ashura Douji, the Dukes and so on and so forth. It’ll just be a one-sided revenge massacre anyway.

Some people still think BM gets redeemed and gets a new personality to excuse her 50 years of being a bloodthirsty murdering psychopath? Doesn’t look like it here. She’s all in with Kaidou. Even gets equal billing and panel space.

Even though she got Zeus back, it’s noteworthy that the entire scene was off-panelled. Almost like it didn’t matter. Feels like this is a temporary setback and that Nami will eventually get him back.

Though it was barely noticeable, the Kaidou x King double act was bloody cool and impressive. King intuitively knew his Captain’s wishes and acted accordingly. Same as when he went to confront the BMP over the falls. Same as when he called the Tobbi Roppo – he knew Kaidou had family troubles. And the longer Oda delays showing King the way he has Jack and Queen, the more excited I get thinking how he’s going to top those two in terms of portrayal. All these tiny glimpses, just whetting our appetites for more.

The last scenes are why I find it odd that Yamato claims she’s been beaten up all her life. If true, then Kaidou naming her Shogun would be counter-productive because Yamato will keep rebelling or trying to escape anyway or remain a thorn in his side, not rule New Onigashima as per his wishes. The reason he names Yamato as Shogun is because he thinks she will somehow snap out of it and become a good filial daughter? It’s sweet yet sad at the same time if he does. Shows he hasn’t given up on her. But I’m wondering if there is anything on Yamato’s end which would support this. She wants to beat the crap out of him and he still wants to give her a kingdom to rule? Not quite sure where Oda will take this plotline. Kaidou could be a monster of a father or there could be something else going on here. The jury is still out for me.

Great Chapter. Shame about the Break.
I agree with your thoughts on orochi being better off dead I don’t wanna see momo murder a dude, like at all lol I also agree with your thoughts on king I loved how he just instinctively lifted his katana as soon as orochi spoke out of turn... he might have future sight Haki since he automatically knows the best course of action thus far in every situation also I think Yamato coulllld be a traitor I see no reason why kaido would name her as the new shogun if he had absolutely no way of controlling her not saying she’s gonna betray luffy purposely but it might be a situation where kaido forced her to do it I dunno I hope she joins but idk about Yamato not gonna get too attached to the character

With the new development of Kaido giving the Samurai's from Team Orochi a choice, whether to fight against the Beast Pirates or join them, Zoro might yet end up rounding up the samurai...that were previously on Orochi's side lol.
In what universe would Zoro be intrested in rounding up fodder to help him fight someone ?

Im genuinely concerned for his fanbase. Yall want him to do stuff....but dont even know the first thing about his character.

Just read the clear translations..

This chapter is such a banger, whether Orochi is dead or not, I thought it was BRILLIANT how Oda depicted the villain focus switch from last chapter to this chapter.

Our 2 Main Villains have been Kaido & Orochi.. but it's always felt like Kaido was in the back seat and Orochi was driving, Orochi was the Villain Focus.

Cue last chapter, we start off with Orochi speaking to the people, it's still his show, he's running the execution, his revenge on the Kozuki, courtesy of the Kurozumi Clan

That's when Kaido steps on center-stage with his boys. Now Orochi is to the side, tiny & insignificant.
Kaido starts speaking about his plans, New Onigashima, next steps. Orochi tries to butt in, and get's his head lopped off in the middle of Kaido sentence.

It's symbolic of the story's "villain focus" switch, Kaido has finally arrived, he's in the driving seat now, he's running the show. Orochi's out. This isn't the Flower Capital anymore, this is Onigashima.

We're now talking:
- Pirates Empire
- Pirates vs Pirates
- Pirates vs Marines & Government.

No longer Kozuki vs Kurozumi (for now). We're diving into KAIDO and what Kaido has to say for this Wano arc. He has quite literally and figuratively "stolen the show".
But we can't count Orochi out of this yet...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also did Kaido and Big Mom say this together? So awesome, I will love to hear this in the anime!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And transferring Onigashima to Wano tonight?! Like on some Continent-Puller type shit??

And I'm calling it now, we will see X-Drake reaction to this revelation, next chapter. Oda loves teasing Marine in Wano, he has more than a few times already.

Welp, according to Hawkins -- we've got 2 more weeks on this land.

Great Chapter Oda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.