Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 986: My Name

Rate the chapter

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
This much is now more or less confirmed. This is the last night Wano will be subjugated to Kaido. Toki's prophecy will come true tonight.
Feel like the next chapter or two could see the whole team assemble, and once everybody who’s gonna be in the battle has been shown in a nice double spread, that will herald the end of Act 3. The following act, maybe the longest one, will concern the raid itself before ending in Kaido’s defeat (and Big Mom’s, I hope); this can still contain his/Yamato’s flashback as a companion to the battle. Finally, the last act will be like the end of any other arc, just with the weight of heightened expectations as Luffy should leave Wano as one of the most powerful pirates in the world.

M

MD Zolo

Feel like the next chapter or two could see the whole team assemble, and once everybody who’s gonna be in the battle has been shown in a nice double spread, that will herald the end of Act 3. The following act, maybe the longest one, will concern the raid itself before ending in Kaido’s defeat (and Big Mom’s, I hope); this can still contain his/Yamato’s flashback as a companion to the battle. Finally, the last act will be like the end of any other arc, just with the weight of heightened expectations as Luffy should leave Wano as one of the most powerful pirates in the world.
I give it another ~40 chapters till the arc is done.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Reading the official translation makes me more certain than I’ve been the last few weeks that Orochi is really dead (the jury’s still out for me on Kanjuro). The way Fukurokuju reacted to his death in 985 combined with his immediate acquiescence to Kaido’s command aren’t things he would do if he knew his boss had seven other heads waiting to sprout and attack the Yonko, even if he recognized the difference in power. If that’s not enough, Shinobu thinking that Oden recognized Kaido as the true enemy in the past clinched it for me. Kinda disappointing that the Scabbards won’t get to take Orochi out like they should have (although I’m THRILLED that the “Zoro’s main fight in Wano will be Orochi” crowd has effectively been silenced), but at least they can now focus all their efforts on the attack started in that great double spread at the end.
Post automatically merged:

Also, Kaido said this was the “final night of freedom” for the regular citizens of Wano...could it be that the alliance DOESN’T fail and somehow pulls it together to win before the following day??
I think Shinobu's panel almost 99% confirms he's dead.

He has no purpose in the story no more and if you think about it it is true.

What he can bring to the story? Momo and Hiyori beheading him? Boring if you ask me.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
I think Shinobu's panel almost 99% confirms he's dead.

He has no purpose in the story no more and if you think about it it is true.

What he can bring to the story? Momo and Hiyori beheading him? Boring if you ask me.
That’s what I think, Kaido’s the one who carried it out but Orochi’s execution in general is a win for the Oden contingent even if it’s not by their hands. He was never going to be a formidable opponent, so saving him for their revenge wouldn’t have been as satisfying as bringing down Kaido.

Back in 973, when Kaido told Momo to state his name, he was just regurgitating "someone else's dream" like Kaido said.
After being inspired by Luffy, he's developed his independent conviction in becoming Shogun. Reminds me of Luffy's LogueTown execution scene. He's an 8 year old brat so he's still scared shitless, but he's earned the right to state his name.
Kaido is a bastard and it's hilarious. If Momo renounced his name, he'd either find disappointment that Momo is even weaker than he thought and kill him, or believe the lie but just change his mind and kill him anyway.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Pinemon, Penjiro, Phura, Pzo, Piku, Paizo Pawamatsu and the Pink Kings will surely lives
If we don’t have new members with every single one of those as usernames by the end of the week, this fandom will have failed harder than it has since “Zoro will die in chapter 944” :smithnie:

Especially Pink Kings...if you’re a visitor reading this thread and you’re thinking about joining up, this is an opportunity you CANNOT miss.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
@Jew D. Boy I know it's probably going to sound like a pure PoF shonen alike thing but It bothers me.

This panel where Samurai and Ninja leaders accept to join Kaido in a span of seconds and Hyogoro thinking to himself where is the pride and etc.

What if Fukurokuju and Hotei knew everything from the beginning and Oden told him the same thing he said to Toki?

He basically told them to abandon their pride and stop following him because they'll die?

What if Fukuro and Hotei are the ones which souls hurt the most inside because basically they needed to serve under Orochi for 20 years?

@Jew D. Boy I know it's probably going to sound like a pure PoF shonen alike thing but It bothers me.

This panel where Samurai and Ninja leaders accept to join Kaido in a span of seconds and Hyogoro thinking to himself where is the pride and etc.

What if Fukurokuju and Hotei knew everything from the beginning and Oden told him the same thing he said to Toki?

He basically told them to abandon their pride and stop following him because they'll die?

What if Fukuro and Hotei are the ones which souls hurt the most inside because basically they needed to serve under Orochi for 20 years?
:kayneshrug:
I mean anythings possible? :pepecorn: Let's see what happens.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
:kayneshrug:
I mean anythings possible? :pepecorn: Let's see what happens.
Nah don't take this seriously I like to overreact to panels of my choice but these ones especially caught my eye.

Fukurokuju and Hotei's expressions look forced af. What if they are the ones who suffered the most because Oden asked him for the last favor of swallowing their pride and returning on the promised day?

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower

Certainly possible, but I see them more as cowardly opportunists than warriors with wounded pride. Fukurokuju at least has been by Orochi’s side for two decades; if they had that many moral differences, wouldn’t there be a separation at some point?

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Certainly possible, but I see them more as cowardly opportunists than warriors with wounded pride. Fukurokuju at least has been by Orochi’s side for two decades; if they had that many moral differences, wouldn’t there be a separation at some point?
That's why I brought up the "last favor". Maybe when Oden returned they contacted with him and offered the help on raiding the Onigashima 20 years ago but Oden refused because he knew that if he loses then armies of Hotei and Fukuro will die for the pointless reason so he asked them for a favor to continue and act like Orochi's men until the promised day.

I'm friendly overreacting boy here don't take me seriously today :/

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
That's why I brought up the "last favor". Maybe when Oden returned they contacted with him and offered the help on raiding the Onigashima 20 years ago but Oden refused because he knew that if he loses then armies of Hotei and Fukuro will die for the pointless reason so he asked them for a favor to continue and act like Orochi's men until the promised day.

I'm friendly overreacting boy here don't take me seriously today :/
I mean, that’s a real possibility...and this is how we talk around here, dawg, you know that :smithnie:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
9 votes for 2 stars... WTF, man?
There are some very harsh critics on this forum...at least some of those voters are huge Sanji fans who probably aren’t thrilled about the fact that Zoro was shown in the middle of the scrum while their boy is off trying to get his dick wet. If he shows up with a ton of reinforcements and it turns out the “looking for prostitutes” bit was a joke, then I’ll gladly give him a pass...but he said that to his allies at a time when they were all infiltrating Onigashima, so what would be the point of him saying it at all? Why not just rally some more captured samurai without doing the pervert shit?

There are some very harsh critics on this forum...at least some of those voters are huge Sanji fans who probably aren’t thrilled about the fact that Zoro was shown in the middle of the scrum while their boy is off trying to get his dick wet. If he shows up with a ton of reinforcements and it turns out the “looking for prostitutes” bit was a joke, then I’ll gladly give him a pass...but he said that to his allies at a time when they were all infiltrating Onigashima, so what would be the point of him saying it at all?
That would be legit hilarious. Something that could happen. Mr. Prince era. But i is afraid he is dead.

Yeah, what a pricks those who want 8 yo kid to die.
:madmonk:
I still want Momo dead.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
That would be legit hilarious. Something that could happen. Mr. Prince era. But i is afraid he is dead.

I still want Momo dead.
Didn’t even think about that, there is precedent for Sanji to come in after an unexplained absence and start kicking ass. You said it yourself, though; that’s pre-timeskip Sanji AND pre-TS Oda, neither of whom we still have.

Status
Not open for further replies.