Chapter Discussion One Piece Chapter 988: "I've kept you waiting"

Rate

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • King noticing the very obvious thickheaded ninja trying to the pull the chains off, then tossing Shinobu's big noggin against the wall is too hilarious upon reread. King should have delivered a snarky line like "you done trying to be a ninja yet?"
  • A bit sad Luffy doesn't react to RS Sanji with glee like Franky and Usopp. Considering all he did this chapter was spectate.
  • Not a fan of this week's translation. Really puts into words how much inorganic dialogue was thrown around. It's possible it was just as bad in Japanese. Also Stephen missed Franky talking about flowers in a callback to Punk Hazard.
  • Brook with the "Consider yourself sliced" was a good line though.
Inuarashi is my favorite Mink, but that's a petty line. You lied about no Samurai and Jack saw right through it. Enough with the charade. He could have said something cool like "We would happily give up our thousand-year old civilization and our lives to keep our friend safe". But I see what's going on, it's Oda reminding the readers what the conflict in Zou was about but wasn't able to make a natural conversation out of it.

Jack finally seeing living legend Raizou he started a war for, incurred many humiliations because of, finally introduce himself was priceless.

I wish Oda went all the way with Jack's mask slipping off and a giant panel of Jack doing an Enel face. YOU'RE RAIZOU?? But the situation is a little serious on the roof to interrupt the flow like that.
Okay, so there is no specific time length how much Sulong can last. I was about to put down Carrot for only lasting mere minutes against Daifuku's fleet while the fan translation said Sulong can go on for hours.

Animal people Minks versus Gifter monstrosities, Zoan animal transformers, and whatever the hell Nangi is. I like the fodder comment that's it's nothing but a bloodbath between animals.
Heh. That's the best translation of King's banter out of the many I've read. All the others make it seem like King was insulting himself for not also following Jack upstairs. It wasn't really a question of who's the most competent.
Mr. Prince vs Mr. King. Again, very unnatural sounding dialogue like Luffy pleading Big Mom not to knock him out of the sumo ring. First I thought it was just Marco and Kizaru taunting each other in the air, but Sanji is clearly sweating and upset, yelling at King with a puff to let go. Well he is the sworn enemy you've come here to kill in the middle of their party, but maybe he'll let you go if you add a pretty please.
What a magnificent little Sanji moment. He's proud that Momo owned up to his name at the expense of getting executed, while wearing the Raid Suit signifying Sanji himself has owned up to some of his Germa lineage. Sanji threw away his own pride if it meant he could save a life with the technology, and he did -- Sanji saved Momo thanks to invisibility.

Luffy and some of the Strawhats as well as Pedro and Carrot delayed their entry into Wano to prepare against Kaido just for this one rogue crew member who went missing of his own volition. They could have lost very important fighters against Big Mom. And in return Sanji repays all their troubles with a massive save of Wano's and the Mink Tribe's most important figure: future Shogun Kozuki Momonosuke. Sanji needed this moment.
I like this little quip. Everything Big Mom enjoys, Luffy has been there to ruin. Something on this level has never ever happened to Big Mom, although Roger may have come close. It's deeply personal to her. Big Mom completely lost her head when it comes to the Luffy issue. She's not operating as she normally would, she dropped everything she was working on and sailed to Kaido's Wano to snatch his head. If it all looks foolish, that's because it is foolish. Luffy is the bug that made Big Mom short circuit.
Oh, so Nami really did bond and became friends with Zeus. That's quite a long way from how this relationship first started:

Well I hope they get back together and Zeus doesn't meet a tragic end.
To echo the #1 expert on One Piece friendships here:

Last edited:
  • King noticing the very obvious thickheaded ninja trying to the pull the chains off, then tossing Shinobu's big noggin against the wall is too hilarious upon reread. King should have delivered a snarky line like "you done trying to be a ninja yet?"
  • A bit sad Luffy doesn't react to RS Sanji with glee like Franky and Usopp. Considering all he did this chapter was spectate.
  • Not a fan of this week's translation. Really puts into words how much inorganic dialogue was thrown around. It's possible it was just as bad in Japanese. Also Stephen missed Franky talking about flowers in a callback to Punk Hazard.
  • Brook with the "Consider yourself sliced" was a good line though.
Inuarashi is my favorite Mink, but that's a petty line. You lied about no Samurai and Jack saw right through it. Enough with the charade. He could have said something cool like "We would happily give up our thousand-year old civilization and our lives to keep our friend safe". But I see what's going on, it's Oda reminding the readers what the conflict in Zou was about but wasn't able to make a natural conversation out of it.

Jack finally seeing living legend Raizou he started a war for, incurred many humiliations because of, finally introduce himself was priceless.

I wish Oda went all the way with Jack's mask slipping off and a giant panel of Jack doing an Enel face. YOU'RE RAIZOU?? But the situation is a little serious on the roof to interrupt the flow like that.
Okay, so there is no specific time length how much Sulong can last. I was about to put down Carrot for only lasting mere minutes against Daifuku's fleet while the fan translation said Sulong can go on for hours.

Animal people Minks versus Gifter monstrosities, Zoan animal transformers, and whatever the hell Nangi is. I like the fodder comment that's it's nothing but a bloodbath between animals.
Heh. That's the best translation of King's banter out of the many I've read. All the others make it seem like King was insulting himself for not also following Jack upstairs. It wasn't really a question of who's the most competent.
Mr. Prince vs Mr. King. Again, very unnatural sounding dialogue like Luffy pleading Big Mom not to knock him out of the sumo ring. First I thought it was just Marco and Kizaru taunting each other in the air, but Sanji is clearly sweating and upset, yelling at King with a puff to let go. Well he is the sworn enemy you've come here to kill in the middle of their party, but maybe he'll let you go if you add a pretty please.
What a magnificent little Sanji moment. He's proud that Momo owned up to his name at the expense of getting executed, while wearing the Raid Suit signifying Sanji himself has owned up to some of his Germa lineage. Sanji threw away his own pride if it meant he could save a life with the technology, and he did -- Sanji saved Momo thanks to invisibility.

Luffy and some of the Strawhats as well as Pedro and Carrot delayed their entry into Wano to prepare against Kaido just for this one rogue crew member who went missing of his own volition. They could have lost very important fighters against Big Mom. And in return Sanji repays all their troubles with a massive save of Wano's and the Mink Tribe's most important figure: future Shogun Kozuki Momonosuke. Sanji needed this moment.
I like this little quip. Everything Big Mom enjoys, Luffy has been there to ruin. Something on this level has never ever happened to Big Mom, although Roger may have come close. It's deeply personal to her. Big Mom completely lost her head when it comes to the Luffy issue. She's not operating as she normally would, she dropped everything she was working on and sailed to Kaido's Wano to snatch his head. If it all looks foolish, that's because it is foolish. Luffy is the bug that made Big Mom short circuit.
Oh, so Nami really did bond and became friends with Zeus. That's quite a long way from how this relationship first started:

Well I hope they get back together and Zeus doesn't meet a tragic end.
To echo the #1 expert on One Piece friendships here:
Man, what a quality post! That was great to read!

Status
Not open for further replies.