One Piece Episode 1004 - An Inherited Technique - Unleashing Oden's Secret Swordplay

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • 4/5

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 3/5

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
One Piece EPISODE 1004
"An Inherited Technique - Unleashing Oden's Secret Swordplay"

受け継ぎし技 炸裂おでんの秘剣
Uketsugishi Waza - Sakuretsu Oden no Hiken

Opening 23 | DREAMIN' ON - Da-iCE
Chapter(s) : -

Screenplay | 井上亜樹子 - Akiko Inoue
Art | 田中里緑 - Midori Tanaka
Animation | 島貫正弘 - Masahiro Shimanuki
Direction | 小山保徳 - Yasunori Koyama
Storyboard | -
Airdate: January 9, 2022

[Episode 1005 PREVIEW]

OP 23 - TV Size

Upcoming Schedule:
December 19, 2021 - Episode 1004
December 26, 2021 - ______________
January 2, 2022 - _____________
January 9, 2022 - Episode 1005
(Debut of Opening 24 | PAINT - I Don't Like Mondays)

Last edited:
This was a pretty good episode.

Yamato still calling herself Oden and Shinobu/Momonouske getting scared of her is hilarious

The animation in this episode was phenomenal, damn the Scabbards were putting in the work maybe they are not as weak as everyone thought they were. (Holy shit i wasn't expecting that from Raizo totally caught me off guard lol)

The "two sword style" combo attack from the 4 Scabbards was phenomenal and gave me chills.
It took 4 Scabbards combined attack to do the same damage Oden did, just goes to show how much of a monster Kozuki Oden was.

Action this episode was absurdly good. Props to the staff who really gave it there all. Special props I think are in order for Tu Yong Ce, who did a ton of stuff this episode, and has been working himself tirelessly on the show pretty much the entire year. Give that man a vacation.

The tons of western animators that also contributed to this episode are also worth acknowledging, with this being the debut episode for some of them, many of whom were just incredibly large fans of the show that finally got the opportunity to work on it.

Good to see Katsumi Ishizuka return to the anime again after a pretty prolonged absence.

• "Father, what a big nose you have!" "All the better to smell you with, my son" said the Yamato.

• Black Maria redoing an upgraded version of her song with moody lighting and focus on everyone's intense glares. Way to easily up the scene from last week.
  • Blocking lightning with a metal sword is impressive, but now I have to see someone like Zoro cut it in half!:steef:

• The white light coming out of Kaido's body is like a video game boss about to self-destruct. I do feel his pain at least.

• Kin'emon rising out of the flames with a flashback power up. Bruh almost had an Oden moment.
  • Kiku's attack the only one to nearly fail.:suresure: It wouldn't be wrong to call this foreshadowing.
  • Raizo capturing and reusing a Yonko attack :usoprice:Can he capture a Whitebeard quake, a Maser Cannon, a Hakai?!

• The flashing silhouettes of the Scabbards shifting into the Oden pose and a massive Oden standing behind them is too cool.
  • The Scabbards summoned a spirit Oden to do the cutting for them.:chopoff:Nope. Way too broken.
Great stuff this week. Very thematic to choose Wano-centric OST pieces. Art was on point throughout the battle and CG Kaido only had be subbed in for mere seconds. Even the added anime flashback wasn't too disrupting as it tied into the idea of why the Scabbards never directly studied under Oden and became his clones -- because they fought too much, they couldn't even agree over which part of Oden is best as shown arguing over food ingredients. They end up developing their own individual styles while adopting Oden's signature move out of sheer admiration.

The first half of the fight was not as fluid but still featured many interesting sequences like Izo distracting Kaido as Kin kicks a rock in midair to save himself. Kin running up Kaido before we see the entire snake body in the background. An intense Enel-style beam from above hitting a helpless Kin'emon looking at the sky, only to reveal three Scabbards standing and repelling lightning. The second part is just surreal as you can feel the impact behind every blow thanks to the momentum and enhanced imagery. Neko's upper cut, translating his spin into a hit that sends Kaido flying, combined with his monster grin came out the best here. The final sequence felt powerful all around with the pose, the OST and Oden's spirit. I love that Kaido mass bombards the battlefield, forcing the Scabbards to make a challenging run, the extras and Kin to create openings so the four Nitoryu can unleash their inner Oden.

A treat to hear Barto's voice in the preview. Next episode looks like a recap, which I don't mind since there's usually breaks around this time. It's been a very good year for the Wano anime starting with the legendary 957, going through the Oden flashback, Onigashima, Episode 1000, and just fantastic that we could end it on Scabbards Vs Kaido.
Let's hope next year is even better. :cheers:

lol, the may anime kinemon seems stronger than kid in the manga..., with over the top animation like this i wonder how the rooftop fight with Worst gen will look

hate this shooting energy beam thingy from sowrd tho when kinemon cut boro breath
That because Kin at least make kaido bleed unlike kid but yea the metal floating around the air goin be extremely beautiful