Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • 1/5

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 0/5

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
LETS GO I AM ANIME ONLY WATCHER AND I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE SANJI ON THE ROOF NEXT EPISODE WITH LUFFY AND ZORO

:finally:
:suresure:
Post automatically merged:

How did Kaido lose that?

That was Zoro's strongest last ditch move and it amounted to ultimately not much. Sure, its a cool moment, but thats all it is.
By letting Zoro get a cool moment. :myman:

Also Marco is a cannibal.
Fitting for a zoan user. :jackaugh:

damn zoro looks great as always
Did you notice Blackbeard has similar coloring to pre-skip Zoro's initial outfit too. :zorothink:

Last edited:
yeah as for 1016 i'm just basing off of staff list atm... Koyama is good for non- fight episodes, but AD is one of the worst.
And this is a fight ep so it's not necessarily Koyama's forte.
Koyama is a great director, so I'm not worried on that front(I enjoyed how he handled action in 971 and 1004, the latter of which I consider one of the best episodes of Wano), and AD's can have more limited roles in animation, so I wouldn't say they'd define the quality of an episode.
By the sounds of it, there are probably going to be at least be a few notable names on 1016. I believe that may be the episode where Thurlow finally flexes lol.

Koyama is a great director, so I'm not worried on that front(I enjoyed how he handled action in 971 and 1004, the latter of which I consider one of the best episodes of Wano), and AD's can have more limited roles in animation, so I wouldn't say they'd define the quality of an episode.
By the sounds of it, there are probably going to be at least be a few notable names on 1016. I believe that may be the episode where Thurlow finally flexes lol.
1016 is not thurlows episode, he said that himself and in my opinion ishizukas board was significantly stronger in 1004 than Koyama's. Besides the episode had some other issues in it's execution of some attacks (Kawamatsu), straight up not adapting and deliberately ignoring scenes from the source material (Kaido yeeting him) thus changing the course of events. There were other things to critize like generally odd directorial choices, CG Kaido and pacing issues in the beginning. The episode was still strong but i wouldn't give it above an 8. Especially not for the section Koyama was responsible for.

1016 is not thurlows episode, he said that himself and in my opinion ishizukas board was significantly stronger in 1004 than Koyama's. Besides the episode had some other issues in it's execution of some attacks (Kawamatsu), straight up not adapting and deliberately ignoring scenes from the source material (Kaido yeeting him) thus changing the course of events. There were other things to critize like generally odd directorial choices, CG Kaido and pacing issues in the beginning. The episode was still strong but i wouldn't give it above an 8. Especially not for the section Koyama was responsible for.
I didn't have any problems with Kawamatsu's attack personally, though I don't think it was close to the highlight of the episode. I think the changes to the action generally worked a lot better in the context of what was going on. Considering the context is the scabbards performing a major beat down on Kaido, not adapting Kaido yeeting Kawamatsu works perfectly fine.

My issues do relate a bit more to the first half, most notably some of the action around them stabbing Kaido in the first half of the episode. That really wasn't terribly strong visually and looked kind of awkward.

Its not a perfect episode, but I think overall its still one of the top 5 of Wano.

Also, I would say that even though Ishizuka's section was perhaps the most visually interesting, I think everything leading up to it was still relatively on the same level(though there is definitely some differentiation around some scenes based on the skills of the animators).

Also, perhaps 1017 is Thurlow's then?(its 1015, then a recap, then 1016 and 1017)

I didn't have any problems with Kawamatsu's attack personally, though I don't think it was close to the highlight of the episode. I think the changes to the action generally worked a lot better in the context of what was going on. Considering the context is the scabbards performing a major beat down on Kaido, not adapting Kaido yeeting Kawamatsu works perfectly fine.

My issues do relate a bit more to the first half, most notably some of the action around them stabbing Kaido in the first half of the episode. That really wasn't terribly strong visually and looked kind of awkward.

Its not a perfect episode, but I think overall its still one of the top 5 of Wano.

Also, I would say that even though Ishizuka's section was perhaps the most visually interesting, I think everything leading up to it was still relatively on the same level(though there is definitely some differentiation around some scenes based on the skills of the animators).

Also, perhaps 1017 is Thurlow's then?(its 1015, then a recap, then 1016 and 1017)
The sword beams were bad, yeah. But really, maybe you need to rewatch Kawamatsu's scene, it definetly was off and felt like drawings were missing since the impact of the attack had on kaido was just not shown. it was dead silent.

Would I put it in my Top 5? I'm not sure. Top 10 yeah probably.
On that note I'm actually interested which episodes would make your top 5/10. doesn't have to be a concrete ranking.

Although recency bias plays a role since i virtually have next to no memory from the start of wano til the time i paid close attention to the episodes (953ish), for me these are my top 5 episodes of wano (no particular order):

1006, 982, 957, 972 & 900 (I think it was 900. Episode in which Luffy tells Tama that Ace is dead. Rewatched that recently, was great.)

Top 10
1013 (could be switched with ep900)
978 (deserves a revisit to be sure)
967 (pure nostalgia)

Honorable mentions:
1001 (honestly a flawless episode for me if not for the 3 minute thriller bark flashback. Would easily be Top 10, same with 1000. One Pace could fix this greatly.)
1000 (if not for the dragged out flashbacks it'd be a lot higher)
989 (the chopper tank scene segment was too hilarious for me)

That's about it... I recently rewatched a few episodes of Nagamine and Michibata (like 925 or 892 or 934 but i wouldnt put them up here since they all had very severe pacing issues.)

Edit: I expect 1015 to replace either 972 or 900. I would like to rewatch the end portion of 972 to see how that was paced, but the fight was just so great and it made out the vast majority of the episode after all.)

ill assume 1017 is Thurlow since thats probably where the majority of the dragon content is lol.

Last edited:
1001 (honestly a flawless episode for me if not for the 3 minute thriller bark flashback. Would easily be Top 10, same with 1000. One Pace could fix this greatly.)
1000 (if not for the dragged out flashbacks it'd be a lot higher)
989 (the chopper tank scene segment was too hilarious for me)
Surprised you think of 1001 so highly. I consider that a solid enough episode that is really elevated by two of the best action scenes in the entire series lol. I'd consider something like 982 much much stronger than 1001 despite the former of which having a much more notable highlights because its generally stronger directed.

I'm not sure what I'd say my top ten would be, though I think you mentioned a few of them, in no particular order (1006, 1013, 957, 982, 1004, 971, 972).

However, I'd probably add something like 950 to the list(the episode where Koyama really shows off his directorial chops), as well as honourable mentions for 960(the first episode of the Oden flashback).

Really, I think most of Koyama's episodes beside 984 are really worth mentioing for honourable mentions aside from his incredibly stand out ones.

Not sure whether I'd put them on the "best of the series" list, but I also remember really like 943(particularly the Udon scenes), as well as 945 and 946(946 in particular almost purely because its insanely well animated, particularly in its second half, which compensates for the rather pedestrian pacing of the episode). Episode 1000 and 978(though I was initially not terribly blown by away by it pacing wise I'll admit) as well obviously.

Episode 954(the Kawmatsu) is also an episode I remember quite fondly for its directorial flare, even if it is a bit of a slower paced episode. I think that works in the context of trying to tell Kawamatsu's story.

925 is also a pretty solid episode, but I feel like its adaptation didn't really have much to work with in terms of expanding on the fight choreography wise despite some basic things.

Overall, I'm not terribly great with lists lol.

Also, I believe the episode Luffy tells Tama that Ace is dead is either 894 or 987.

The thing about Wano is that it has a lot of "different types" of good episodes, which makes it hard to sort of make full collation. There are generally a handful of episodes considered perfect(like 957 or 982), but most usual have a few defects here and there that make them difficult to rank.