One Piece Episode 934 - A Big Turnover! The Three-Sword Style Overcomes Danger!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 61 69.3%
  • 4/5

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • 3/5

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel like Oda needs to take a lesson from Toei on how to draw combat, because he is really shit at it so shit that when his audience see combat drawn the right way like in latest episode, some people used to garbage tier combat writing like @Gran D. Master loose their shit.

When someone like Zoro who can move at MHS+++, bare minimum 4 digit, possibly 5 digit mach range and can slice so hard, he can cut an entire mountain in half producing force of a nuclear bomb, just by him dashing or seriously swinging his blade land mass or surroundings need to take damage and he needs to be shown with FTE movements which latter Oda cannot really show but old One Piece was so garbage it never did justice to how fast Zoro moves. Also animators job is to animate attacks which this animator did, yall remember how garbage power point shit was when Zoro used same oni giri in FMI.

Also the way they handled close quarter sequences, killer spinning so fast he turns into bey blade and creates tornadoes which against MHS++ character spinning at that speed with his blades would generally look like a bey blade and create mini tornadoes. Every thing about this fight from start to finish needs to be a lesson for Oda on how to draw combat, obviously he doesn't have all the resources than anime team has so you can't expect him to do it all.

PS--> By far the best full fight in One Piece history and that isn't surprising cuz One Piece fight animation prior to Wano has sucked balls.

Luffy vs Katakuri was decent but certainly not on this level.
And thats not a good thing for One Piece because everytime Zoro moves he should turn into a blob doing environmental damage. Fact that he doesn't is because Oda is garbage at drawing combat, that and lack of anime resources.

But old one piece animation is absolutely piss at drawing combat. Like you had fucking Zoro running towards lightning at Mach 5000 level speeds but it looks like he is running treadmill at 8 miles/hour.

So Toei is doing combat right where Oda is shit at.
none of this makes fights or action good this is pointless flare that adds nothing to a fight, also the manga never had killer him spinning like a top againsy zoro so saying oda didnt have the resources to do it is pointless and spinning around isnt that interesting for close combat.
Why does it matter the style Oda is applying to his action?

Oda has no sway on how the anime executes his action more broadly, and I think the anime pretty much kept the same intent for what Onigiri is supposed to be, a charge attack that causes collateral damage.

Your argument here doesn't make a lick of sense when you think about how your applying to the Zoro scene, nor does it effectively follow on at all.

Oda is irrelevant in terms of how the action is translated to animation, and the action sequence in question did not at all violate the tone and style of the series, which is an over the top melodramatic action shonen.
In terms of how they adapt the manga, the anime staff don't need to avoid anything in their potrayal of it. They are free to animate or draw the characters how they please(and considering that One Piece is such a ludicrously over the top series, that gives them plenty of stylistic wiggle room).

The anime is not bound by a need to replicate Oda's style(even though it feels compelled to do so anyway).

You say that its incongruent for these things to happen in One Piece, but don't really explain how or why its tonally out of place, instead falling back on "it didn't happen in the manga."

The anime's job is not to replicate the manga, its to be an action shonen anime(which One Piece is), and action shonen anime have ridiculous over the top fight scenes(which One Piece does).

Considering the actual anime additions to the fight,(ie, Killer leaping back, throwing flying slashes before Zoro charges at him, which prompts killer to charge back), whats actually shown is perfectly in line with the tone of the series and the intent of the scene(which is solely to generate hype).

I understand perfectly what your saying, I'm just saying your example is completely moronic.

Your point is its tonally dissonant for One Piece to be animated in an over the top and flashy way because over the top flashy animation doesn't exist in that fashion in the original source material.

And I think thats honestly an absolutely moronic point. Like, hitting your head against a wall till you get brain damage levels of dumb. I had to calm myself down after digesting just how laughable that point was. This is me being very tame and straightforward.

I've had to rewrite this multiple times not to mock how moronic that point is. Your core example is just not applicable to One Piece. I know your using this to demonstrate tone dissonance, but it just doesn't work at all for your point here.

One Piece is, an over the top, overly melodramatic shonen, with ridiculous fight sequences. Your analogy of a naturalistic work with soap opera elements does not hold up as a comparison even under the slightest scrutiny.

It is not tonally dissonant, or destroying the immersion of reality in the series, to animate those fight scenes in an over the top fashion. If anything, the series perfectly lends itself exactly to that kind of action.

In terms of story elements and potrayal, the anime is not inherently bound to Oda, and can take creative liberties with how some of the characters abilities are shown. Zoro for example, is someone that is frequently shown to have an aura around him, and that has been highlighted well in other forms of media like movies and specials.

I'm not really taken out of the action(based on actually watching the show) by the fact that Zoro, a guy who has an aura, and is shown with one frequently across multiple pieces media, has an aura.
As for following Oda's action, Oda's style is irrelevant to how animators interpret his action. Oda's manga is not a guide for animators about how they should handle his action. Considering how loose on details Oda is with his action, they are at most a blueprint.

I think of movies like 6 and 9 with how they each had crazy takes on portraying and animators Luffy's abilities. This example comes to mind for me.

Um. This is just incorrect. You have all the creative freedom in the world when adapting something. Your example does a horrific job of representing the problem, because the problem your example is supposed to represent doesn't actually at all fit with this scenario. Like, even remotely.

I don't even get why people are so hung about it. The point of the scene was to convey that Luffy was angry and by hype. Zoro defeating Killer was supposed to be a hype moment. As long as both those scenes could generate that response, they succeeded(and I would say both of them did).

The original material isn't really that relevant in terms of how its animated. Hell, faithfulness, in of itself, does not make an adaptation good or better.

A good example of what I mean by this is the DIO fight with Jotaro in the 90's JoJo's OVA vs the DIO fight with Jotaro in the David production anime. The David production anime is significantly more faithful to the source material and tone of the original source material, but its still vastly inferior to the 90's OVA's version of that. Its not as well animated, its not as well directed, its not as tense, the tone of the OVA(though different from the manga) is far better actualized than the anime, and even though things in the OVA are changed from the manga, those additions and changes, although departures, actually make the fight more enjoyable, again, even if it is tonally dissonant to the manga.

The point of the scene in the manga was to highlight Luffy's anger and also generate hype for Luffy fighting Kaido. There is no issue with the anime's interpretation of that scene, with the animation perfectly articulating Luffy's anger, as well as generating hype for the scene through the swelling of a triumphant and climatic OST.

There was a very clear reason why Sabo was waving his fists, its called anticipation.

In saying that, I will say that my thoughts around that particular animator is pretty nuanced, with my main problem, not necessarily coming so much with how he makes limbs really wavy(that can be effective for building anticipation), but more around how he handles camera movement and impact.

I believe an animator way back called out how Naotoshi Shida used camera movement during his action cuts, noting that by having the camera move so much, the impact in scenes can be significantly reduced. This is particularly problematic for action sequences(I only have two sources left, but I think they demonstrate my point).

Shida has a few problems. First is that the camera is moving so much in some of his cuts its hard to follow exactly what's happening during the cut.
For example, in this Doffy scene, you miss Doffy's clone getting kicked away by Luffy, Doffy apparently attacking Luffy as the clone is getting kicked away, and Doffy's leg hardening. Everything happens so quick that stuff is lost in translation that makes the scene a bit awkward to follow in some instances.
Second, due to the camera moving so much in some of his cuts the impact within those scenes tend to be significantly reduced.
This isn't exactly from One Piece, but the example holds true for that Doffy scene as well. After the initial clash, the camera rests on Goku for a bit, however, the impact of the action afterwards is ruined by the fact the camera doesn't stop moving, and doesn't give time for the audience to process the impact of a scene before pulling away.

I think while something like Zoro's scene this episode also had a lot of camera movement, there is a very clear difference in impact, with the camera not just constantly moving because it can, but moving to properly trail the characters actions, with the camera actually stopping in key moments, to allow the impact of a scene to set in. When Zoro finally lands the onigiri, it changes camera angles a few time, but the camera isn't overly animated during those scenes.
These problems tend to meld together.

I don't think the waviness of limbs and stuff is necessarily a terrible thing(particularly his method of doing it), though it definitely isn't exactly my personal cup of tea.
The problem with a letting toei do whatever they want without guidelines for a fight you get DBZ and not one piece example:

Having zoro surrounded by blob aura (those examples you showed has zoro surrounded by aura shape of animal not the same)

killers air slashs hit the gound explodes like ki blasts

zoro charging killer with aura around him

For many years i have said "I like that one pieces fights havnt ripped off elements of dbz like naruto did" but it seems that what toei thinks is best for OP fights coping DBZ at least i know goda has kept his fights feeling like one piece.

First of all, the episode is OK. I like it over all. Specifically, I LOVE Hiroshi Iwasaki's voice acting. Just learned now he also voiced Hogback. Whenever I'm bored or driving my car to certain far distance, I mumble. Imitating Orochi's grieving voice when he says "Komurasaki". It's really funny. I tip my hat to the great Hiroshi Iwasaki for his great performance. I think I would check other anime he voiced in.

Second, (God help me keep my mentality stable) I can't believe the mental gymnastics of those who complain about "animation" saying "bad animation". Oda doing shit in fights? Well, call me Fenton and rub my belly, but Oda's profession isn't an animator. In manga, there is a term that some complainers of "bad animation" have never heard of it. It is called "DYNAMIC LINES" which Oda and editor do best to show the condition of a battle and how it goes. There is also something called (wait for it...) "Manga ICONOGRAPHY". Prime Example: ONE PIECE ch 387, so stop this bullshit about Oda being shit about battles. As for anime, I am baffled beyond words, but thank God for people like the YouTuber, AnimeAjay, who explained this matter.

Why does it matter the style Oda is applying to his action?
Because he's the author and his style choice isn't random. A (proper) piece of artistic work is a gestalt made of congruent parts; the moment you take liberties to significantly alter any of those parts you will disbalance the whole. Which is why The Hobbit by Jackson, Lolita by Kubrick and many other examples are essentially failures as they take a material they didn't conceive and change significant aspects of it in a way that alters the gestalt of the work.

Oda has no sway on how the anime executes his action more broadly, and I think the anime pretty much kept the same intent for what Onigiri is supposed to be, a charge attack that causes collateral damage.
The intent is irrelevant. "A charge attack that causes collateral damage" is a vague premise that can go from an onrush damaging a rock to a nuclear bomb. In a similar fashion, and keeping my "moronic example", you will maintain the intent of a furious scene by adding some thunder noises, some dramatic zoom, some powerful chorus... yet it doesn't mean you will be executing the scene right.

Oda is irrelevant in terms of how the action is translated to animation, and the action sequence in question did not at all violate the tone and style of the series, which is an over the top melodramatic action shonen.
It is irrelevant that the series is a melodramatic shonen. The actual action sequences are quite natural in comparison to what the anime makes up for them. Luffy punching Kaido is just an inflated rubber limb with a metallic surface hitting the head of a dragon, that's what Oda wants to portray, that's what Oda wants to do with his action, that's his tone, and it is perfectly translatable to animation without the addition of over the top effects that not only weren't there in the manga but aren't there in any other Gear Third (and more importantly, with no explanation given apart from "Luffy was angry so it makes sense that a huge red aura appeared").

The anime is not bound by a need to replicate Oda's style(even though it feels compelled to do so anyway).
It pretty much is if it wants to keep consistent the gestalt that Oda seeks; which it obviously doesn't want to because it is a bunch of animators with very different styles being paid to animate a scene by their own standards that ends up lacking consistency with what's coming next. It may work as a Frankenstein monster made of YouTube videos put together, but I personally don't agree with it.

You say that its incongruent for these things to happen in One Piece, but don't really explain how or why its tonally out of place, instead falling back on "it didn't happen in the manga."
"It didn't happen in the manga" is the explanation for obvious reasons. Why didn't Oda draw the conqueror's clash between Luffy and Chinjao as a power capable of creating a strong centrifugal force instead of simply a blast of will pushing people around like any other conqueror's moment? Why didn't Oda draw Luffy's punch as surrounded by a huge aura instead of simply a mass of armored rubber hitting the head of a dragon? And so on. Maybe because Oda doesn't want to portray those scenes as such and what he chooses to depict is what he understands to be the congruent depiction he wants to follow in the context of his manga and current style?

The anime's job is not to replicate the manga, its to be an action shonen anime(which One Piece is), and action shonen anime have ridiculous over the top fight scenes(which One Piece does).
This feels kind of simplistic. "It is an action shonen anime". No, it is One Piece, and that other is Dragon Ball, and that other is One Punch Man, and so on. A commonality doesn't cancel the differences.

I understand perfectly what your saying, I'm just saying your example is completely moronic.

Your point is its tonally dissonant for One Piece to be animated in an over the top and flashy way because over the top flashy animation doesn't exist in that fashion in the original source material.

And I think thats honestly an absolutely moronic point. Like, hitting your head against a wall till you get brain damage levels of dumb. I had to calm myself down after digesting just how laughable that point was. This is me being very tame and straightforward.

I've had to rewrite this multiple times not to mock how moronic that point is. Your core example is just not applicable to One Piece. I know your using this to demonstrate tone dissonance, but it just doesn't work at all for your point here.
I couldn't care less about your irrelevant four paragraphs telling me how much yo tried not to insult me while actually doing it.

One Piece is, an over the top, overly melodramatic shonen, with ridiculous fight sequences. Your analogy of a naturalistic work with soap opera elements does not hold up as a comparison even under the slightest scrutiny.
Obviously I don't mean to say that One Piece is naturalistic, the comparison is about using resources that don't fit the original material; which happens here because Oda doesn't overwork his fights on a daily basis to the point of surrounding his attacks with auras and his characters with an amalgam of undefined flashy effects or drawing outcomes that disappear as soon as another animator takes over. I understand that an animator wants to make use of tools that can't be in the manga, such as music or how the camera moves, but this is quite different than actually drawing new things and putting them in the scene; that's where you begin to alter with no justification what the author conceived.

It is not tonally dissonant, or destroying the immersion of reality in the series, to animate those fight scenes in an over the top fashion. If anything, the series perfectly lends itself exactly to that kind of action.
Yeah, sure. But Oda still chose to simply draw a clean punch without blurry auras, or a direct cut without turning the ground into perfect cubes, or a blast of pressure without centrifugal force. It is really hard to defend that it isn't tonally dissonant even though Oda's action rarely, if ever, goes so, so over the top as the anime has gone more and more frequently.

The point of the scene in the manga was to highlight Luffy's anger and also generate hype for Luffy fighting Kaido. There is no issue with the anime's interpretation of that scene, with the animation perfectly articulating Luffy's anger, as well as generating hype for the scene through the swelling of a triumphant and climatic OST.
The point of adding thunder noises and a dramatic zoom is to highlight a characters emotions; it doesn't guarantee that the tone of the work will allow it even if some spectators think that it "perfectly articulates the intent of the scene". And even if it did: both versions, the actual and the faithful, would do it, yet one is made up and distances from what the original author drew and the other isn't.

I appreciate the rest of your post but it is either irrelevant to the original point or I have nothing to add to the parts I agree with. I hope I didn't miss anything from what I wanted to adress, but my point is there and I guess this argument is deeper than just animation because it'd require to discuss whether an adaptation does have liberties over the original material and to what extent. And I personally don't want to go there here and now.
Post automatically merged:

It is interesting how the anime adaptation has all that flashy aura and blocks floating in the background yet the actual details from the scene by Oda (Zoro's ripped clothes, the organic dust around him, the haki flowing through the swords, the blackened scythe, the blood from Zoro and Kamazou) are completely gone.

Last edited:
none of this makes fights or action good this is pointless flare that adds nothing to a fight, also the manga never had killer him spinning like a top againsy zoro so saying oda didnt have the resources to do it is pointless and spinning around isnt that interesting for close combat.

The problem with a letting toei do whatever they want without guidelines for a fight you get DBZ and not one piece example:

Having zoro surrounded by blob aura (those examples you showed has zoro surrounded by aura shape of animal not the same)

killers air slashs hit the gound explodes like ki blasts

zoro charging killer with aura around him

For many years i have said "I like that one pieces fights havnt ripped off elements of dbz like naruto did" but it seems that what toei thinks is best for OP fights coping DBZ at least i know goda has kept his fights feeling like one piece.
I'm just going to state this bluntly. The animation this episode was not inspired by DBZ.

We know who the animator on this episode who did that scene was, and we know where they drew inspiration. It was not from the freaking Dragonball manga from 40 years ago.(BTW, do you think Dragonball invented aura's? You know Dragonball was building off franchises like Hokuto No Ken and other Wuxia genre shows right?)

Also, when I said show me examples from DBZ, I meant the anime. If you think that the Onigiri in this episode was inspired by a scene from the freaking Dragonball manga, your being delusional.

(BTW here are a few scenes where Zoro has a more literal aura, at least briefly).
Now, onto what actually inspired the animation this episode. The most prominent easily being Yutaka Nakamura. The effects works that appeared in the Onigiri literally looks nothing like Dragonball.

However it does bear resemblance to another animator(hell, I'm pretty sure they even referenced some of their impact frames). Yutaka Nakamura is currently the most popular animator in Japan. Its unsurprising that loads of animators imitate and draw inspiration from him. The background animation, the cubed explosion, to the impact frames, the smeariness and effects, can all be tied back to Yutaka Nakamura. Not freaking Dragonball.

Hell, if you watch this scene, you even see similar sword air slash effects as we did in this episode, with similar explosions and everything.

The other inspiration(this is specifically for the impact frames), is Yoshimichi Kameda. Katsumi Ishizuka(the animator on this episode), during some impact frames, was using brush strokes that were commonly found in the impact frames of Yoshimichi Kameda, another industry legend.

Vs this episode

So I'm not sure why you're talking about Dragonball, when Dragonball doesn't really have much to do with it.

Just going to add this, out of Dragonball, Naruto and One Piece, One Piece has the worst action in manga by a significant margin. One Piece's action is really not that praise worthy, at least not in the way that Dragonball and Naruto's action is.

I'm just going to state this bluntly. The animation this episode was not inspired by DBZ.

We know who the animator on this episode who did that scene was, and we know where they drew inspiration. It was not from the freaking Dragonball manga from 40 years ago.(BTW, do you think Dragonball invented aura's? You know Dragonball was building off franchises like Hokuto No Ken and other Wuxia genre shows right?)

Also, when I said show me examples from DBZ, I meant the anime. If you think that the Onigiri in this episode was inspired by a scene from the freaking Dragonball manga, your being delusional.
dragon ball z is the most popular anime in history its one of the biggest reasons anime got so popular in the west and because of that it doesnt matter if DBZ wasnt orginator of aura sorunding a charator or any other anime tropes it popularized the, Hokuto No Ken didnt make anime popular in the west DBZ did so when most people see this fight and luffy vs kaido they somthing like say "oh its like DBZ" i have seen it.
The DBZ anime adapted these scenes 1:1 from the manga and that Kaio-ken goku image is from the anime and theres many more example of DBZ anime using action tropes that the series popularized.
like vegeta vs recoom and many more.
Now, onto what actually inspired the animation this episode. The most prominent easily being Yutaka Nakamura. The effects works that appeared in the Onigiri literally looks nothing like Dragonball.

However it does bear resemblance to another animator(hell, I'm pretty sure they even referenced some of their impact frames). Yutaka Nakamura is currently the most popular animator in Japan. Its unsurprising that loads of animators imitate and draw inspiration from him. The background animation, the cubed explosion, to the impact frames, the smeariness and effects, can all be tied back to Yutaka Nakamura. Not freaking Dragonball.

Hell, if you watch this scene, you even see similar sword air slash effects as we did in this episode, with similar explosions and everything.

The other inspiration(this is specifically for the impact frames), is Yoshimichi Kameda. Katsumi Ishizuka(the animator on this episode), during some impact frames, was using brush strokes that were commonly found in the impact frames of Yoshimichi Kameda, another industry legend.

Vs this episode
So I'm not sure why you're talking about Dragonball, when Dragonball doesn't really have much to do with it.
Your missing my point im talking about what happens in the fight and not how the anime is drawn,animated,lighting effects or anything about the how toei animated the fight even if i dont like the super flashy effect but wasnt my main point and my main problem of this fight.
also with your examples you showed arenot the same as him powering up with arua.
Just going to add this, out of Dragonball, Naruto and One Piece, One Piece has the worst action in manga by a significant margin. One Piece's action is really not that praise worthy, at least not in the way that Dragonball and Naruto's action is.
So that means one piece should just rip off other series like what toei did here but where do get swordsman with 3 swords vs gireff man or a rubber man vs lepord martail artist or a crew with unique abilties vs a gaint demon zombie that has the fighting as there leader, I love these weird unique fights this what i love about OP fights and not over flashy explsion filled fights thats is not one piece.

Last edited:
dragon ball z is the most popular anime in history its one of the biggest reasons anime got so popular in the west and because of that it doesnt matter if DBZ wasnt orginator of aura sorunding a charator or any other anime tropes it popularized the, Hokuto No Ken didnt make anime popular in the west DBZ did so when most people see this fight and luffy vs kaido they somthing like say "oh its like DBZ" i have seen it.
The DBZ anime adapted these scenes 1:1 from the manga and that Kaio-ken goku image is from the anime and theres many more example of DBZ anime using action tropes that the series popularized.
like vegeta vs recoom and many more.
DBZ's popularity in the west 20 years ago isn't anywhere near as pertinent as its effect on Japan, its also not as pertinent on modern anime watches who view things with modern animation styles like My Hero Academia.

Why is the fact that DBZ made anime in the west popular pertinent?

DBZ action was not revolutionary or modern or experimental in the least. Nor did it have aura's animated to the same degree that the aura this episode was. If anything, the aura this episode has more likeness to more modern shows than DBZ 30 years ago.
Your missing my point im talking about what happens in the fight and not how the anime is drawn,animated,lighting effects or anything about the how toei animated the fight even if i dont like the super flashy effect but wasnt my main point and my main problem of this fight.
also with your examples you showed arenot the same as him powering up with arua.
What happens in the fight is the same shit as any other fight Zoro wins. What happens is no different from other bits of Zoro action that end the same way. Its just done with a bit more visual flair.
As for the air slashes, I don't really get the complaint. Air slashes are a pretty malleable thing anyway. I don't see the problem with them being deflected causing generic damage.

I don't see the problem with him having an aura as he prepares to use a powerful attack. Its frankly a stupid thing to get into a twist over considering that we're talking about Zoro here, man famously jerked off for his fighting aura.
So that means one piece should just rip off other series like what toei did here but where do get swordsman with 3 swords vs gireff man or a rubber man vs lepord martail artist or a crew with unique abilties vs a gaint demon zombie that has the fighting as there leader, I love these weird unique fights this what i love about OP fights and not over flashy explsion filled fights thats is not one piece.
One Piece rips off plenty of series anyway. Do you think Oda doesn't rip off idea's? Do you think that Zoro's aura appearing behind him as he prepares to do an attack is an original concept? One Piece may have a whacky style, and be unique in some aspects, but so is literally every series in some way or another(JoJo's exists, Dragonball had a character who turned people into carrots by touching them, shows like hokuto no ken are based on advanced martial arts that strengthen the body and effect pressure points and shit).

Nothing about what happened was "outside of what happens in One Piece". It was just animated like something you'd expect to see out of a modern show, utilizing modern effects and animation styles that have been popularized to the fullest to deliver a scene with a hell of a lot of impact.

Something being animated in a different fashion doesn't make something "Not One Piece" because One Piece isn't something that is limited in how its animated.

Animators are free to animate the characters powers in whatever way they please. The series is filled with incredibly unorthdox animation styles and techniques, movie 6 and 9 being having some of the favourite ways abilities are animated, with Luffy at one point turning into nothing but a scribble.

I think constricting how the show can be animated, or implying that the show in particular shouldn't have a certain style of animation because its "not One Piece" is a bit ignorant, and frankly a bit rich coming from a series that has benefitted from a wealth of different approaches to animation like no other.

EDIT: BTW, I could easily make the argument that One Piece is being more influenced by Dragonball. Its pretty obvious. I'm surprised you haven't actually made that argument yet, but thats because you probably aren't actually invested in this.

Because he's the author and his style choice isn't random. A (proper) piece of artistic work is a gestalt made of congruent parts; the moment you take liberties to significantly alter any of those parts you will disbalance the whole. Which is why The Hobbit by Jackson, Lolita by Kubrick and many other examples are essentially failures as they take a material they didn't conceive and change significant aspects of it in a way that alters the gestalt of the work.
Yes, and there are multiple ways to do a take on the same style, both artistically and animation wise. Oda's art in the manga may foreground what happens in One Piece fights, but it doesn't really influence how that is actually animated. Thats the beauty of changing mediums.
Also, whats considered a failure varies wildly.
Its also worth noting the One Piece doesn't dramatically vary in tone or substance from the original source material, even accounting for additions. It does nothing to radically rework anything, so I don't inherently see the problem here.

Like, its not like its the Shining or anything where the original author hated the adaption so much he made his own version of it.

What happened in the manga, happened in the anime as choreographed.
The intent is irrelevant. "A charge attack that causes collateral damage" is a vague premise that can go from an onrush damaging a rock to a nuclear bomb. In a similar fashion, and keeping my "moronic example", you will maintain the intent of a furious scene by adding some thunder noises, some dramatic zoom, some powerful chorus... yet it doesn't mean you will be executing the scene right.
There is no way to "execute a scene right" in direct adaption, or even if thats a desirable thing. For example, going back to my JoJo OVA vs 2015 anime example, the 2015 anime certainly is more faithful to the manga, following basically every panel perfectly, however, that does not make it superior to the adaption that played around with the source material more, changing some things around to build more tension.

I don't think you've really provided a good circumstance of what "executing a scene right" actually is.

It is irrelevant that the series is a melodramatic shonen. The actual action sequences are quite natural in comparison to what the anime makes up for them. Luffy punching Kaido is just an inflated rubber limb with a metallic surface hitting the head of a dragon, that's what Oda wants to portray, that's what Oda wants to do with his action, that's his tone, and it is perfectly translatable to animation without the addition of over the top effects that not only weren't there in the manga but aren't there in any other Gear Third (and more importantly, with no explanation given apart from "Luffy was angry so it makes sense that a huge red aura appeared").
Um, no they aren't. There is nothing really natural about them. Things happen spontaneously in the manga with little to no explanation, like, Sanji bursting into flames, or Zoro's aura stuff. The fucking noodle monster and wax monster. Hell, even comedically, similar stuff happens.

Oda intentionally plays incredibly loose with how he portrays those sorts of things. Haki is also naturally incredibly over the top. Haki is more than just a metallic substance, it also shoots lightning for no apparent reason when it hits stuff. Or just naturally emits lightning. So I don't really see the problem with Luffy shooting lightning and having effects out the wazoo since Oda does that sort of thing anyway when haki hits something.

The anime actually adapted that scene fairly accurately all things considered. It didn't dramatically change the action, it just made the action more exaggerated(which is a natural part of transitioning something to animation) in order to show Luffy's emotions(which is also what Oda was trying to convey, that Luffy upon seeing his friends presumably get wasted, appears before Kaido and hits him with the biggest attack he has in a blind rage).

Hell, I'd say the changes to the action for that Kaido sequence were far less dramatic than for something like Luffy punching the celestial dragon. Oda focused on the point of impact between Kaido and Luffy, and the anime adapted just that. In the Luffy punching the celestial dragon case, the anime completely changed the focus of the action, focusing on the point of impact, and holding on it, as opposed to focusing on the punch sending the dragon flying. That demonstrates the difference between mediums, and how action is not only changed to make it more accessible and interesting for a moving medium in the anime, over the implied action in something like the manga.
"It didn't happen in the manga" is the explanation for obvious reasons. Why didn't Oda draw the conqueror's clash between Luffy and Chinjao as a power capable of creating a strong centrifugal force instead of simply a blast of will pushing people around like any other conqueror's moment? Why didn't Oda draw Luffy's punch as surrounded by a huge aura instead of simply a mass of armored rubber hitting the head of a dragon? And so on. Maybe because Oda doesn't want to portray those scenes as such and what he chooses to depict is what he understands to be the congruent depiction he wants to follow in the context of his manga and current style?
I don't really care about Oda's decisions necessarily. The anime has creative license to add effects to make fight scenes more interesting.

Also, Oda is incredibly inconsistent about how effects are applied anyway, so I don't think his someone who should be followed to a T anyway(if anything, the anime follows action too strongly most of the time, making it a flat adaptation).

Being accurate to the manga doesn't make something good. Oda's "kill shots" are nice enough, but a persistent adherence to them doesn't make the anime any better. Some would argue, that the anime's tendency to try and directly replicate Oda is a huge shortcoming of is action scenes.

I think the anime being a bit more liberal and changing up the choreography or execution of scenes from the manga to make them more interesting is exactly what the anime needs to do more of. You could definitely argue about the pacing of Luffy's punch against Kaido, but the emotional weight of the scene that Oda intended is still very much preserved, and the animation even goes so far as to enhance the emotion in that scene. Luffy's anger is incredibly visceral, with him also being made up of non-solid line work.

For animation, conveying a feeling or emotion through motion is its strongest asset, and One Piece is a series where the action is highly influenced by emotional responses. I don't see a problem with animation going out of its way to adequately display those emotions.
Yeah, sure. But Oda still chose to simply draw a clean punch without blurry auras, or a direct cut without turning the ground into perfect cubes, or a blast of pressure without centrifugal force. It is really hard to defend that it isn't tonally dissonant even though Oda's action rarely, if ever, goes so, so over the top as the anime has gone more and more frequently.
It doesn't matter what Oda chose to draw. Like, literally not at all. They aren't animating like how Oda draws. That a horrible metric for an anime(and its one the anime has fallen victim to since forever).

Oda's action varies wildly in its scope and scale. The anime should 100% avoid animating the anime like Oda because its a totally different medium. They didn't even change the choreography necessarily in Luffy punching Kaido, they just made it more flashy.

Also, you don't tonally dissonant means. Like, at all.

The anime using robust animation doesn't clash with One Piece as a series, which is also incredibly over the top and robust in its action and effects.
The point of adding thunder noises and a dramatic zoom is to highlight a characters emotions; it doesn't guarantee that the tone of the work will allow it even if some spectators think that it "perfectly articulates the intent of the scene". And even if it did: both versions, the actual and the faithful, would do it, yet one is made up and distances from what the original author drew and the other isn't.

I appreciate the rest of your post but it is either irrelevant to the original point or I have nothing to add to the parts I agree with. I hope I didn't miss anything from what I wanted to adress, but my point is there and I guess this argument is deeper than just animation because it'd require to discuss whether an adaptation does have liberties over the original material and to what extent. And I personally don't want to go there here and now.
I think your fundamentally misunderstanding how adaptations work on a very base and simple level. Adaptation, in its very name, is a conversion between mediums. What works and is effective and engaging in one medium, may be underwhelming in another. What may be simply conveyed in one medium, may require far more elaboration in another. It also matters how something can be adapted beyond the transfer of mediums. For example, something that is incredibly contestable in a movie is the use of a frequent narrator, because in film its far better to leave that information to be visually conveyed as opposed to exposited to the audience.

Also, as part of an adaption, the original work is subject to being changed because its someone else's work. For example, in the Hobbit Movies, those don't necessarily just fail at an adaption because they changed and added some stuff, they fail more broadly as movies as well.

Also, going back to the Shining, the original author hated the movie, and created his own version of it to be more accurate. However, when talking in the context of film, Kubrick's the Shining is just generally a better movie despite the author himself creating a film adaptation of his original work.

Adaptions absolutely do require, and need to take liberties with the original material in order to function. That's not up for discussion, that's just the fact of the matter.

It is interesting how the anime adaptation has all that flashy aura and blocks floating in the background yet the actual details from the scene by Oda (Zoro's ripped clothes, the organic dust around him, the haki flowing through the swords, the blackened scythe, the blood from Zoro and Kamazou) are completely gone.
Actually, I would say its still more detailed. The haki is still visible and flowing on the swords(in fact, its way more obvious here). The smoke blowing from Zoro stopping suddenly is also present, and they even adapted the head turn in the animation itself.

I think the anime also has a significantly better sense of scale, with the sword foreshortening into the foreground of the show, making Zoro appear even more looming and dominant than he did in the manga panel.

Not to mention the next two cuts cover both of those things you mentioned in detail, with there being a specific cut demonstrating how devastating the cut was for Killer.

The smoke and wind effects also work in tandem with the momentum of the blow, with attention being paid to where Zoro has stopped.

I don't see why the anime staff would benefit from copying Oda's smoke. Either way, the fact that for a split second cut, an animator was able to improve on Oda's scale is incredibly impressive, especially considering the anime usually does the opposite, with Oda's drawings usually having a far larger sense of scale to them. I think a good example of that would be in Impel Down. Impel Down in the manga, is drawn and feels like an incredibly large place, with Oda giving a sense of scale to demonstrate not only how difficult and tiresome it is to traverse, but also just acting for feasibilities sake, with huge monsters and jailer beasts needing space to adequately roam around.

The anime had the opposite effect, making Impel Down feeling quiet claustrophobic. The corridors which were constantly being run up felt small and suffocating, the walk ways being feeling restrictive, a totally different effect from the vast expanse that the manga illustrated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.