One Piece Episode 972 - The End of the Battle! Oden vs. Kaido!

Rate The Episode

• 5/5

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • 4/5

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • 3/5

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • 2/5

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 0/5

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Raizo could have gotten laid by prime Shinobu if he didn't skip time.:usosmug:

• King in the reddish leather and biker Kaido all black both look sexy. So nice they coordinated their outfits so they don't clash.
  • Queen's beatstick was just a random torch. How humiliating for the samurai. :ihaha:(R.I.P. this guy)
  • CoC clearing fodder getting in the way of the big fights. :pepemy:Thank you! That's how it's supposed to be used!

• Imagine getting tossed by Kaido's whiskers. Couldn't be me.
  • Amazing Togen Totsuka, but anime Kaido immediately recovers and is ready for Oden.:finally: Good for Toei saving the main villain's face, it also makes it obvious that Grandma's interference was of her own volition and not part of Kaido's emergency plan to get his ass rescued.

• Kaido's face in cold sweat at the end. He just saw something unbelievable - his own life at the end of the rope, and that's why this experience gets logged in his brain as PTSD.

• I am curious why Shinobu put on the pounds and lost fighting shape over 20 years, when all the other Samurai and Ninja look fine. Probably related to her fear of pointy objects.

• I love the shots of Oden staring at the pot. The framing of the flames and purple gas make it look like he's practically stepping into the underworld.

• The Wano folk are so giddy to enjoy their blood sport yet they freak out when that one fodder is roasted.
  • 8-year old Yamato looking wider than adult men as opposed an Oda hourglass girl.:shocking: How much junk is in that trunk?
  • Oden striking a second deal with the people who never had any intention of honoring the first one.:lawsigh:
Oden Vs Kaido was just phenomenal. Kaido blasting the environment was the equivalent of lighting the candles to set the mood. Amusing to see the fight extended not just by Kaido spamming Boro Breath, but a creative moveset where he counters Oden with his horns, tries to bite him, then the great mustache throw. I enjoyed seeing Oden use Kaido as a footstool and even slide along his back. None of it overstayed its welcome like Luffy vs Kaido part 1 where neither side dealt significant damage and each attack came with extended padding, at the cost of only using half the episode. When time needed to be slowed down, like Oden noticing Momo out of the corner of his eye, Oden on floor seeing all men fall and getting Kyokyokyo'd, the pause really gave it the extra punch. Great to see King and Queen had such an proactive role. They got their fluid movements, put respect on their positions and earned their Ws against the Scabbards when they could have blended into background as mystery silhouette actors like the manga.

The rest of the episode was very good too. Solid OST and VA work all episode, props to Zoro's theme, the pathetic sounding Oden crying for Momo and Shinobu all episode. I like the snappy transitions in the prison and then later on when sakura is used as a calming tempo connecting Toki and Oden's scenes. A very serene and relaxed execution similar to that of Roger in broad daylight in ordinary little Loguetown. Next episode, I'm hoping to see Toei go all out with the soundtracks, the cinematography, and all of Wano crying as we get ready to bid goodbye to a legend.

Last edited:
Great to see King and Queen had such an proactive role. They got their fluid movements, put respect on their positions and earned their Ws against the Scabbards when they could have blended into background as mystery silhouette actors like the manga.
Yeah, they were also a more natural source of dialogue than say random fodder.
None of it overstayed its welcome like Luffy vs Kaido part 1 where neither side dealt significant damage and each attack came with extended padding, at the cost of only using half the episode.
I think the fact that Luffy vs Kaido didn't really have anything to work with in terms of both sides taking hits made it difficult, because they pretty much just had to reduce it to Luffy punching the shit out of Kaido to no effect.

In this fight, the anime staff had liberties to allow Oden to take some real hits.

they finally did Oden JUSTICE

Ad.CoC user , among VERY strongest , Man among men
Post automatically merged:

Holy shit this episode was god tier.

That animation was like movie quality like.

After seeing this episode i am sorry for every doubting Shinobu.

Whether its on land, sea, air or behind the back sneak attack. If its one on one Kaido will always win LOL
Kaido didn't wanted to take out Oden like that tho ...

Oden turned away and it was too late