Animation |
新垣重文 - Shigefumi Shingaki
Direction | 伊藤聡伺 - Satoshi Itō
Storyboard | 伊藤聡伺 - Satoshi Itō
Airdate: October 10, 2021

Episode 996 PREVIEW

OP 23 - TV Size

Great episode.

Luffy casually pulling a Rayleigh and taking off Yamato's cuffs was pretty bad ass. I love the interaction with Yamato and Luffy.

It was added filler but i loved the little clash between Marco vs Perospero the animation was top notch.

Man it great to see Luffy becoming more mature, instead of just rushing into the fight again he actually let's the Scabbards get the first crack at Kaido.

Kaido still having ptsd about Oden is hilarious, Oden still haunts him 20 years later damn. From Shinobu's wording it seemed like Oden knew from the get go Kaido was the real threat and Orochi was just an afterthought.

Izo looked badass shooting down Kings sword, he was one of the commanders of Whitebeard.

Man the ending scene with Scabbards shouting "sunatchi" before attacking Kaido was pretty awesome.

It was added filler but i loved the little clash between Marco vs Perospero the animation was top notch.
Animated by Junwen Tan.

Overall, really great stuff, especially towards the climax of the episode.

Holy shit, the staff put a lot of resources into animating that stuff.

Tu Yong Ce did absurd stuff with them stabbing Kaido.

The hallway action scene was handled by Western Animator Henry Thurlow. Absolutely nutty stuff.

Overall, great stuff from all the animators involved.

• So nice of Kaido to avoid crushing Orochi's head and dirtying his boots.
  • Kaido gave the little man a Wayne Brady choke. :josad:Just tickling Momo's chin triggers nightmares.

• Yamato's cup size grows every episode. Need an end of Wano Yamato fanart ASAPcatded

• Yamato lifts and spins Luffy in the air then carries him like luggage. Too precious.
  • Marco blocked with the candy arm! Maybe Perospero really is YC3:believe:

• Sending Big Mom flying is a good feat for the explosion. Not bad for a supposed Yamato killer.
  • Help! Jack has fallen and he can't get up:doffytroll:

• I have to laugh at Queen turning his back on the charging invaders to make an announcement.
  • Starting and ending the episode with Oden. :finally:The PTSD is real!

Great episode. Starts out slow but ends up reaching a really high climax with that ending. A lot of quality art in this one with Kaido, Yamato, Queen, even some sleeping Numbers all getting the sharp expressions they needed. Nice OST selections overall, the one where Luffy calms Yamato as the scene darkens and the final piece with Oden sounding like two tracks blending into one another were the best. The quick interlude padding scenes like Usopp and Chopper meeting the Numbers or Marco meeting Perosero were creative choices that helped the episode's pace.

Splendid animation with Marco Vs Perospero, but man that intense 3+ minute sequence with the Scabbards elevated the entire episode. I love the build up with the music as the Scabbards kick down doors and paint the black and white halls red with blood. It adds to their determination and fearlessness and why Kaido suddenly flashbacked to Oden. Momo's VA announcing himself to Zoro's theme was also an impressive moment. The Beast Pirates uproar in laughter at his name in the manga anyway, but a bunch of allies giving the kid his props in the anime is a change I don't mind.

Looks like the hype train is back in town with the raid here. A shame the manga and anime are both on break next week.:catcry:

W

Wonderful World

Wow, this episode was absolutely amazing!:steef:

Though it started out slow, the added scenes of Toki and Oden before Momonosuke declared his name was fantastic. The actual chapter where this occurred (986) made me have much more love and respect for Momonosuke's character. The fact that he's only 8 years old and in this situation, yet he stood up and declared his name to Kaido was amazing. The anime did a great job adapting this moment.

The animation for Marco and Perosphero's clash was really nice as well.

That last bit with the Scabbards running towards Kaido and Momonosuke had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. The build-up with the music and the entire scene going black and white like a Kurosawa film blew me the hell away. Seeing the Scabbards cut down those Beast pirates on their way there was absolutely stunning.

This is by far one of the greatest moments in the anime I've seen this year and Toei has done a fantastic job so far. I honestly believe the Wano adaption of the anime (so far) has been far more enjoyable than the manga version up to this point.

Sad that there's the break for the manga and anime this week, but the next couple of episodes are about to be straight fire!

Last edited by a moderator: