ONE PIECE Live Action - Episodes Discussion Thread

Just finished the season.

I'll give it a rating of 7.5/10 to 8/10.

It felt a bit rushed but that's expected for a 8 episodes season.

The 5 Strawhats were exceptional in their roles I'd say. Other than Zoro's wooden expression, especially in the first 4 episodes, I have no major gripes. For their kids counterparts, Zoro, Sanji and Nami were pretty good. Luffy and Usopp though...

As for the rest of the cast they were great overall. Especially Mihawk. It felt like the guy jumped out of the manga to play his role.

Now that I finished watching this season, I have great expectations for next season.

Episode 6:
- Sanji's flashback was great. The only thing I didn't like was the Zeff and Sanji scene during the Cook Pirates raid - it went like an SNL skit:
"You don't season my voute!" "It needs more oregano!!!"

- The child actor was mid at best, again. Another minus there is them not using CGI to roughen him up a bit more. 60 days at sea, even with food and water, would fuck you up when you're exposed to the elements. The kid looked as chubby as he was at the ship

- Arlong is cool, but Kuroobi and especially Chew look like those inbreds from Wrong Turn.

- The Zoro and Luffy scene was a nice touch

- The Sanji goodby scene... It suffered from the medium it was in. I don't know why they chose to let him walk onto the ship and then have the goodbye, but let 'em have it. What irked me was Sanji's bodylanguage. He turns around robotically, delivers a touching speech, and then just casually waves with one hand. Come on man, at lest lean over the railing if you'r not getting on your knees

3 Episodes in my quick thoughts

The casting has been good so far, my favs are Nami & Buggy. Emily Rudd IS Nami and knows how to portray the underlying emotions Nami is dealing with. It's great seeing her subtly react to stuff we know affect her(due to reading the manga). Jeff Ward as Buggy just steals the show, this dude really is charismatic AF and probably will be a fan fav for the non One Piece fandom. The one horrible casting is Beckman, like who tf is that guy LMAO. Beckman fans in the dirt :kobeha:

Aside from that is campy and goofy, but that's pretty much what One Piece is. The best you could do is recreate that but also make sure to highlight the emotional moments.

Last edited:
3 Episodes in my quick thoughts

The casting has been good so far, my favs are Nami & Buggy. Emily Rudd IS Nami and knows how to portray the underlying emotions Nami is dealing with. It's great seeing subtly her react to stuff we know affect her(due to reading the manga). Jeff Ward as Buggy just steals the show, this dude really is charismatic AF and probably will be a fan fav for the non One Piece fandom. The one horrible casting is Beckman, like who tf is that guy LMAO. Beckman fans in the dirt :kobeha:

Aside from that is campy and goofy, but that's pretty much what One Piece is. The best you could do is recreate that but also make sure to highlight the emotional moments.
Buggy the best character in the show. Rudd seems to be a genuine fan of Nami so that helps.
Oda giving the green light to that Ben Beckman casting makes me worry about his fate in the manga. Negative charisma

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
โ€Ž
Today i watched Episode 1 with my girlfriends in the morning. Was pretty pleased, expected way less than what we got to be honest. I like it.

But what i really enjoyed was a comment by my girlfriend. She doesnt watch or read one piece and is not really interested in manga/anime. And at the end of the first episode she said:
"Luffy is always laughing and smiling. Whats up with him?"

And i was -> <- this close to tell her, he is just joyboy.
I found it pretty hilarious, that it is jumping into the face of new watchers imediately.

I just watched a few fight scenes and the last part - where everybody says their goals.
I honestly don't think i will be able to watch the whole thing without dying of cringe...
The acting is not great at all and the fights are terribly choreographed. I have seen fanmade anime fights who were better...
None of the actors sounds like a normal human being, they all talk like cosplayers who try to hard to sound like an anime character....just stop!
And the dialogues are just pure cringe, because they again try to hard to copy the anime, nobody talks like that in the real world, when will those producers finaly understand this? If you are making a real life adaptation, then let them talk like real human beings...

I had very low expectations for this LA and expected it to be pretty bad - sadly i was not proven wrong.

Seatonnes

waiting for Marvel Rivals
โ€Ž
I just watched a few fight scenes and the last part - where everybody says their goals.
I honestly don't think i will be able to watch the whole thing without dying of cringe...
The acting is not great at all and the fights are terribly choreographed. I have seen fanmade anime fights who were better...
None of the actors sounds like a normal human being, they all talk like cosplayers who try to hard to sound like an anime character....just stop!
And the dialogues are just pure cringe, because they again try to hard to copy the anime, nobody talks like that in the real world, when will those producers finaly understand this? If you are making a real life adaptation, then let them talk like real human beings...

I had very low expectations for this LA and expected it to be pretty bad - sadly i was not proven wrong.
another mf who hasnt actually watched the show complaining for no god damn reason

Pantheos

Heavy Metal
โ€Ž
Another mf who can't handle criticism and cries about everybody who doesn't give this a 10/10
I literaly mentioned the reasons why i dislike it in my post lmao
You whole comment smells like "I dont like it, because i didnt want to like it from beginn with", which is a usual issue for fans when their main source (doesnt matter if Book, Manga, Movie, Game...) gets "translated" into another medium. It seems like you are just not open for this "new experience" and stick to hard on your imagine of the original. Which is understandable, absolutely, but goes off about real critism, because you dont critizise the product for what it is and what it want to be. Specially when you not even watch it fully or even start to watch it honestly, since yourself stated you only watched the fights.

You expected something to be good by only watching the fights?
Not even Marvel can sell a movie without a story.