General & Others OP Manga Sales Declining

I've said this after WCI: "since Oda failed WCI and even the most hardcore fans didn't like it, that means that Wano will ether make or break one piece" and then I said this during Wano "Wano will destroy one piece" and goddammit I was spot on.

I've been hearing from hardcore fans that "during the fights sales will rise up" but contrary to their predictions the opposite occurred. Sales is something that the hardcore fans–who spend their entire time mindlessly debating about power levels and trash talking–cannot understand, these same fans are exactly the ones who pirate the manga and don't even pay for it, so no wander they don't understand sales. People–regardless how much they ones liked one piece–will not spend their money on something that is trash, I mean complete garbage, and that's even to say the least. Wano "objectively" is worse than a fuc*ing Chinese monhoua, that's how bad it is. The hardcore fans will never understand it or accept it, but they're not the ones who pay for it so their opinion on the matter is worthless. The decline in sales will only continue with few ups, but that's it, it will continue to decline...
7 million copies still sold this year for a series with over 100 volumes that barely outputs 3 volumes yearly.

"Destroyed" he says lmao.

You guys are ridiculous, young kids these days have far easier investments to make with manga. One Piece is a huge ass commitment for anyone now.

I've said my peace about manga sales for years now. It's GOOD that new blood is taking over. It means manga is still alive one piece shouldn't be the thing that keeps it together.

Manga sales will probably top charts again as the series nears its end. Some of the biggest characters (i.e. Marines, Shanks, Blackbeard) haven't been tackled yet. 90% of the series mysteries haven't been addressed. People buy bulk collections as series tend to end (see KnY). Wano is also 130 fucking chapters and has no signs of ending. That IS a problem, but the dude is going as fast he can evidently and still barely making a dent in plotlines he's established.

Whether he rushes or doesn't, its immortalized forever.

This isn't mentioned more. Most Manga that lasted this long ended up losing sales. Look at Conan
Funny thing is this sales chart came out before volume 101 released in a week. The #4 and 5 spots above one piece (Attack on Titan and MHA) are barely above it with 4 volumes released already for MHA this year and AoT ended.

People shat on OPs sales last year when it once again had only 3 volumes on a fiscal year (2 if we count only 2020 releases but I believe Oricon counted 1 volume from 2019), yet it's barely moved and is largely consistent. For a manga stuck in an arc as long as Wano, it's not surprising at all. If it consistently released 4 volumes per year, it would be a 9-10 million mark, which is far above where it was before 2008 (5 million) and consistent with the last 8 years of publication.

Always gets me though that "7 million copies sold" means the manga is dying. It still sells more than 99.9% of manga out there lmao

Last edited:
Seriously, it´s better than anything else other than Zou post-TS, at least for me.
Would have rather FI be a Zou type of arc in length, why would you drag the likes of Hody and Caesar for 3 rounds, Oda should have used that momentum of the new fans popping out after the hype that was set up for the new world pre ts and MF.

Instead he let it die out, and Wano the arc he was talking about to draw since pre ts is no differant than Dressrosa that has rebecca equivalent characters, but with a stronger enemy.

Funny thing is this sales chart came out before volume 101 released in a week. The #4 and 5 spots above one piece (Attack on Titan and MHA) are barely above it with 4 volumes released already for MHA this year and AoT ended.

People shat on OPs sales last year when it once again had only 3 volumes on a fiscal year (2 if we count only 2020 releases but I believe Oricon counted 1 volume from 2019), yet it's barely moved and is largely consistent. For a manga stuck in an arc as long as Wano, it's not surprising at all. If it consistently released 4 volumes per year, it would be a 9-10 million mark, which is far above where it was before 2009 (5 million) and consistent with the last 8 years of publication.

Always gets me though that "7 million copies sold" means the manga is dying. It still sells more than 99.9% of manga out there lmao
SnK had 2 volumes released within the timeframe (Nov 2020-Nov 2021).
Its sales have more to do with it ending.
OP had nearly 15 million in 2009, and sold per volume (new volumes) around what it sells now, 2 million, meaning OP basically declined to pre-Marineford sales.

Can’t wait for the 2022 version of this thread to be nearly the exact same.

Nothing like the people on a One Piece forum having a weird hate wank and convincing themselves that this means One Piece is dying. Oh no, it’s individual volume sales have plummeted to… third best selling series in Japan. What a disaster. Shuiesha must be planning cancellation any day now.

Oda keeps making large scale absurd things, thinking only on quantity, when he just need to do more basic things.

Just imagine a arc entirely focused on strawhats against another group of pirates (BB or shanks for example) plain and simple, without a "war" with million characters to drag down, oh boy.

Now imagine the "final war" with 5 times more characters than Wano :suresure:
i don't see any problem with that. adding more characters or any faction in a war or big fight is good if it was done correctly, since Pirates always fight with numbers, back in the day and theres always other group whos involved, tribes, royal navy, even uncover pirates like those priveteers, etc

the problem here is the often use of unecesarry moments, then leaving other important moment to be un seen, to many questions not being answer, while new question being put into the table, scenes not being shown, cornie gags being shown, a writer can add so many characters that he wants but he/she should finish that character story first , unless that character is final villain, but with side characters not even an arc villain? i mean whats the point of weevel introduction, if he didnt even have relevance in the upcoming 1 to 2 arcs??

there's no anime or manga out there that had introduced an unknown antagonist like he have a huge role in the upcoming arc, then proceed to make that character irrelevant for many arcs, even the most important character like for example, Uchiha Madara who was introduced earlier in shippuden series, even though he's a final villain, he always have relevance in every arc, and that guy is the main antagonist not just side character, kishimoto can literally made madara unheard fro many arcs, and that's understandable cause of his importance,

onepice will introduce a new character, out of no where then you will never heard that character again, for many years, even if that character is only a medicore antagonist not even arc villain, lol never see this kind of tactics in other anime, even a guy like Akira Toriyama, knows how to represent characters in a proper way.

Would have rather FI be a Zou type of arc in length, why would you drag the likes of Hody and Caesar for 3 rounds, Oda should have used that momentum of the new fans popping out after the hype that was set up for the new world pre ts and MF.

Instead he let it die out, and Wano the arc he was talking about to draw since pre ts is no differant than Dressrosa that has rebecca equivalent characters, but with a stronger enemy.
Wasn´t that long to be honest, the entire arc was around 50 chapters iirc, and had the interesting setting, new characters, a lengthy flashback with interesting characters, thematically on point, tied into overall plot very well, humor was on point, Strawhats got a lot of attention and the list goes on.
Though i did not feel it to be honest, maybe Hody got too extended, but he was beaten within 30 chapters or so of his introduction, so i might disagree, might have to reread it.
There was definitely more to be done with FI, but for what it was, it was good, not great but good. It´s still below the pre-TS arcs for me, but not far behind.

In contrast to everything else since especially.

In regards to momentum, i think it´s one of the worst things an author can do when he/she lets exterior stuff influence his story, in this case fandom.
The new audience that was attracted by Marineford might have been let down, sure, but that was never One Piece in the first place, so better sooner than later.

SnK had 2 volumes released within the timeframe (Nov 2020-Nov 2021).
Its sales have more to do with it ending.
OP had nearly 15 million in 2009, and sold per volume (new volumes) around what it sells now, 2 million, meaning OP basically declined to pre-Marineford sales.
Yes that's what I said.

And no, check 2008. It was selling 5 million at 4 volumes per year pre-marineford. 2009 was basically Marineford (them losing at Sabaody, Impel Down etc; the "plot twist" of everyone being split up).

It's selling 2 million more on less volumes still

Last edited:
Yes that's what I said.

And no, check 2008. It was selling 5 million at 4 volumes per year pre-marineford. 2009 was basically Marineford (them losing at Sabaody, Impel Down etc; the "plot twist" of everyone being split up).

It's selling 2 million more on less volumes still
2008 was vol 49-51, MF started with 56 which was Dec 2009, so already counted for 2010.
And i don´t count Shabondy (2008) to Marineford, at best you can make the argument for Impel Down but not really, due to the intense draw of MF since battles and war and all.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323417
Top 50 Volumes
*1 1,678,208 ONE PIECE 50
*2 1,646,978 ONE PIECE 51
*3 1,645,128 NANA 19
*4 1,544,000 ONE PIECE 49

2009 (Impel Down, which for me is pre-Marineford, and had around the same sales per volume as now)
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323425

Volume Sales
*1 2,057,528 One Piece vol.53
*2 1,963,696 One Piece vol.54
*3 1,952,551 One Piece vol.52
*4 1,810,410 One Piece vol.55

Comparison to 2021:
One Piece 98 (2,018,042 copies)
One Piece 99 (1,863,574 copies)
One Piece 100 (1,839,886 copies)

In contrast, MF year (2010) had a 500k spike, one year after even more than 1 mil spike compared to pre-MF, which 2012 held.

Volume Sales (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323427)

**1 2,593,580 One Piece vol.59
**2 2,578,730 One Piece vol.57
**3 2,557,356 One Piece vol.58
**4 2,492,183 One Piece vol.60
**5 2,480,124 One Piece vol.56

Volume Sales (2011) https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323429

**1 3,382,588 ONE PIECE 61
**2 3,207,568 ONE PIECE 62
**3 3,073,175 ONE PIECE 63
**4 2,652,700 ONE PIECE 64

Volume Sales https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1323433

**1 3,336,992 ONE PIECE 65
**2 3,320,744 ONE PIECE 66
**3 3,044,901 ONE PIECE 67
**4 2,390,625 ONE PIECE 68

So it´s basically a 33% decline from its peak sales per new volume and a fall back to 2009.