Powers & Abilities Power Creep and Story Inconsistencies

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
After chapter 1000, I’m entirely convinced that One Piece is going down the same route as Dragon Ball and Naruto where the power creep for the main characters gets way too out of hand.

Am I overreacting or are my concerns legitimate?
I think those concerns are valid, but at this point, is it really a big deal if OP starts getting insane at the end? Seems like the two you mentioned and every other great series that began and finished in Oda’s wake *cough Bleach cough* have all gone completely off the rails at the end; maybe the common factor of chaos is symbolic of how a famous and long-tenured mangaka gets too used to the smell of his own shit and thinks he needs to make everything MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE once the end is in sight. Might as well try to enjoy the actual story around and in spite of the absurd powerscaling:luuh:

I think those concerns are valid, but at this point, is it really a big deal if OP starts getting insane at the end?
A lot of One Piece fans claim that One Piece is one of if not the greatest manga. Having a basic issue like power creep would make these claims look kinda laughable.

I think those concerns are valid, but at this point, is it really a big deal if OP starts getting insane at the end? Seems like the two you mentioned and every other great series that began and finished in Oda’s wake *cough Bleach cough* have all gone completely off the rails at the end; maybe the common factor of chaos is symbolic of how a famous and long-tenured mangaka gets too used to the smell of his own shit and thinks he needs to make everything MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE once the end is in sight. Might as well try to enjoy the actual story around and in spite of the absurd powerscaling:luuh:
I personally find this really hard to do without feeling like I’m lying to myself.

0 evidence of power creep. I told people since WCI you've underestimated everyone who's not part of a Yonko's crew.

You guys have to relook at those Katakuri/Cracker fights, because they're messing with your fucking heads. You're way overestimating Cracker, and you're massively underestimating Katakuri.

I think it's quite clear that all of Luffy, Law, Doffy were either = or > YC1 (although YC1 is very broad), and Zoro/Sanji YC2-4. Kinemon easily YC4/Tobi Roppo/>= Izo too.

0 evidence of power creep. I told people since WCI you've underestimated everyone who's not part of a Yonko's crew.

You guys have to relook at those Katakuri/Cracker fights, because they're messing with your fucking heads. You're way overestimating Cracker, and you're massively underestimating Katakuri.

I think it's quite clear that all of Luffy, Law, Doffy were either = or > YC1 (although YC1 is very broad), and Zoro/Sanji YC2-4. Kinemon easily YC4/Tobi Roppo/>= Izo too.
If everyone other than you is reading a story wrong.

It’s probably just badly written

If everyone other than you is reading a story wrong.

It’s probably just badly written
Um, no. People are just delusional. I remember like 80-90% of the people voted Snack was going to trash Judge. I was like are you people serious? Can't you see that Judge is strong?

MF ruined people's brains. They wanked the Yonko and their crews to 7th heaven. Oda was just paying respect to WB. WBPs were fucked from the second they set foot in MF.

Um, no. People are just delusional. I remember like 80-90% of the people voted Snack was going to trash Judge. I was like are you people serious? Can't you see that Judge is strong?

MF ruined people's brains. They wanked the Yonko and their crews to 7th heaven. Oda was just paying respect to WB. WBPs were fucked from the second they set foot in MF.
Ah I see. It’s not a flaw with the Oda’s writing or character presentation, it’s that other people are just dumb while you, good sir, are enlightened.
:pepeke:

Ah I see. It’s not a flaw with the Oda’s writing or character presentation, it’s that other people are just dumb while you, good sir, are enlightened.
:pepeke:
No. It's not about being enlightened. Just don't be an idiot and say shit like Zoro > Luffy, or Zoro is going to beat a guy stronger than Mihawk.

It's quite easy. Just don't be a fanboy. People write their own fanfic in their head.

No. It's not about being enlightened. Just don't be an idiot and say shit like Zoro > Luffy, or Zoro is going to beat a guy stronger than Mihawk.

It's quite easy. Just don't be a fanboy. People write their own fanfic in their head.
I didn’t say either of these things lmao.

Luffy damaging Kaido with Gear 3 after two weeks of training despite pounding him non-stop with Kong Organ...looks a lot like power creep to me.

Law, Zoro, and Killer competing with Yonko... looks a lot like power creep to me.

Last edited:
There is no power creep going on, because we pretty much knew that the Top Tiers of the verse were lightyears ahead of everyone else ever since the introduction of Aokiji way back during Long Ring Long Island.... It's not something that's been slowly changing over the course of the story, with Oda just upping the ante every arc with no clear end game power structure in sight. It's been well established for years now. Some will make it there, most won't.

Yep there is no power creep. OP has other problems but that´s not one of them.
Oda pretty early on established what powers can do casually when our protagonists were a joke compared to them, anybody comparing OP to Dragonball and Naruto in that regard has no idea what they are talking about, sorry to be blunt.
Power creep doesn’t just refer to the strength of the verse as a whole subtly increasing over time. In that regard, I think you’re right. One Piece is nothing like Dragon Ball or Naruto.

Power creep can also refer to an individual character becoming more powerful in a way that seems contrived and/or due to plot. In this sense, I think One Piece almost definitely shows signs of power creep. Luffy damaging Kaido with G3 (and potentially no ryou) when just two weeks earlier king organ did nothing is a bit much.

Power creep doesn’t just refer to the strength of the verse as a whole subtly increasing over time. In that regard, I think you’re right. One Piece is nothing like Dragon Ball or Naruto.

Power creep can also refer to an individual character becoming more powerful in a way that seems contrived and/or due to plot. In this sense, I think One Piece almost definitely shows signs of power creep. Luffy damaging Kaido with G3 (and potentially no ryou) when just two weeks earlier king organ did nothing is a bit much.
I know, it´s a two aspect concept

1) escalating the power limit further and further
2) elevating relevant characters to that power limit without credible explanations.

It isn´t.

1) The attack has Ryou, it´s a completely new technique, just logically, there is no reason to highlight a new technique after two week training if the first thing he does has no relation to the training at all, makes no sense

2) That´s how Kaido´s power works. He is someone who can ignore physical blows unless they can bypass his scales. This is not an Attack power issue, none of the scabbards have attack power compared to Kong Organ, yet they hurt Kaidou and Luffy didn´t, why? Because they can bypass the scales with AdvCoA.
Meaning if you are a physical fighter and not access to elemental damage, no matter what kind of attack power you have, it´s meaningless. But if you have AdvCoA, now attack power matters, so basically AdvCoA is a prerequisite to fight Kaidou.
Luffy not hurting Kaidou was not because of attack power or lack thereof, but because he did not have AdvCoA, his attacks did not do any damage to the scales, and also were not projected to his insides, but now his attacks are.
We have many characters mention throughout the series that power combinations can be quite curious, one of the most extreme examples being Mr3 vs Magellan. In Kaido´s case, it´s AdvCoA.
That´s for Luffy and Zoro who definitely have AdvCoA.
Law? Goes back to example of Mr3 vs Magellan. BM´s and Kaido´s biggest assets so far have been their durability, now you have a character who can completely ignore durability, also can attack insides with his ability and thus bypass outer layers.
Kid and Killer remain to be seen.
Also, just to point out, fighting Big Mom is just an attack power issue. She has incredible durability but not such a prerequisite of needing to bypass any scales or anything, so if Killer and Kid can provide that attack power, it´s also not lacking credibility. Luffy clashed with her with Kong Gun.