Character Discussion Sanji’s character development in chapter 1031!

There was no development for Sanji in 1031.

-Sanji started WCI with => I hate my family, I want nothing to do with them or their technology
-Sanji ended WCI with => I hate my family, I want nothing to do with them or their technology
-Sanji during his fight with Queen => I hate my family, I want nothing to do with them or their technology

The character, his view on the world, his principles and/or his goal never change during the course of the last two arcs.

Sanji got depth during WCI not development and got none of that during Wano.
If we only look at one aspect and exclude everything, for sure Sanji never develop at all during the course of the manga.

Forgiving his family (forgive & hate is not mutually exclusive), giving up the one ability he dreamed off, finally able to ask a woman for help, is character development.

If we read the manga with deep immersion and less bias/hate toward a certain character, we can enjoy OP even more becausd Oda gives us a lot in his story.

If we only look at one aspect and exclude everything, for sure Sanji never develop at all during the course of the manga.

Forgiving his family (forgive & hate is not mutually exclusive), giving up the one ability he dreamed off, finally able to ask a woman for help, is character development.

If we read the manga with deep immersion and less bias/hate toward a certain character, we can enjoy OP even more becausd Oda gives us a lot in his story.
Yeah no.

1/ I never said that Sanji never developed during the manga. Because he had development in Baratie when he forgave himself for Zeff’s leg and was able to strive for his dream.

2/ He did not forgive his family. He still hates them and hate anything that is relate to them. Development would have been him not being shameful about being a Vinsmoke for example.

3/ Him destroying The RS is not development. He hates everything that comes from his family and even tho he « renounced » to have the invisibility it is not like it was a life goal. It is like saying that Sanji not staying in FMI is development. Development would have been him accepting that it is not because his family is evil that he cannot used their technology to do good for example.

4/ In EL, Sanji said to Usopp that everyone can be useful in their own way therefore he knew that he can count on other people and he never shown (IIRC) that he is unwilling to ask woman’s help. Because, also in EL, he let Nami deal with Califa. Sanji calling Robin was just another display of his selfishness. He could have beat BM by himself but his principles (her not hitting women) are more important to him than the safety of a crewmember (if Sanji beats BM, robin would not have been harmed by her).

There is not bias nor hate in my take. Sanji did not have any character development during WCI and Wano. What most people are calling « Character development » was « Character depth ».

You do realize that your so called character depth is a part of character development right?
Development is not about "something bad" to "something good". Its not "bad guy turns to good guy".

Giving Sanji these stuff is character development. Basically anything that adds to a character, can be a development. Here's an example article related to this https://writers.com/character-development-definition

Last edited:
You do realize that your so called character depth is a part of character development right?
Development is not about "something bad" to "something good". Its not "bad guy turns to good guy".

Giving Sanji these stuff is character development. Basically anything that adds to a character, can be a development. Here's an example article related to this https://writers.com/character-development-definition
Yeah I realized that it is part of it not it in itself.

From the article :
What is character development? It’s not so different from real life: the goal is to showcase a character’s growth in the face of adversity, much like real people grow and adapt to their own real situations

Showcasing Sanji background without him evolving from the said background, is not character development because he did not grow, it is only character depth.

In short :
-Just character depth = character depth
-Character depth + character growth = character development

Sanji is a great a dope character he was develop in a real great way not much to say about my favourite character it's all in the manga :cheers: greatness
Post automatically merged:

Sanji destroying his RS because it goes against his character. "But but he has no reason to destroys it"

Sanji was making the decision between becoming a monster or stays true to his character. If Sanji accepts the monster path, he wouldn't destroys his RS but wear it and destroys Queen easily like he said, but he didn't. Sanji would rather be himself than a monster of Germa proves his conviction. Him destroying the RS seals the deal.

No you dumb dumb. Luffy chooses Sanji because of the way he is. A cook, a fighter, a chivalrous man, a kind man, a badass swagger, you named them.

Like, I don't see Luffy commenting on Sanji's cooking skills down here.

:cheers: