Theory The Romance of Fantasy - The Grand Monet Theory

I guess I already read you in the past and replied, I think Monet could be alive but not joining like many many other characters nonetheless I admire your dedication to Monet, kudos.

Anyway, when reading it I was thinking just about @critical mindset . Monet and Vergo in Punk hazard arc seem almost to be twins given their story and role.

They both appear in that arc and are done with it. They share pretty much the same role of supporter of Caesar and / or one of the villain of the arcs. But they both are loyal followers of Doffy. They both share the same fate, are they dead? are they alive? What happened to them? And this again is valid just for these 2 characters. They both had the trust one of the G5 marines and the other of the children and both of them betrayed who believed in them (were the children in the end somewhat lied about Monet so that they kept their trust in her just like Tashigi did with the marines for Vergo btw? Just to see if there is another assonance).

I think it would be interesting for both Vergo and Monet fans to search what these 2 characters share and what not and see if there is some other hidden hint Oda could have give at the time.

Edit: they also get both sliced in 2 during Punk hazard but one in a sense and the other in the other. Also they both survived being sliced which is not common (of course for different reasons, be it Law df keeping Vergo alive or Zoro doesn't using coa to slice Monet).

Last edited:
I guess I already read you in the past and replied, I think Monet could be alive but not joining like many many other characters nonetheless I admire your dedication to Monet, kudos.

Anyway, when reading it I was thinking just about @critical mindset . Monet and Vergo in Punk hazard arc seem almost to be twins given their story and role.

They both appear in that arc and are done with it. They share pretty much the same role of supporter of Caesar and / or one of the villain of the arcs. But they both are loyal followers of Doffy. They both share the same fate, are they dead? are they alive? What happened to them? And this again is valid just for these 2 characters. They both had the trust one of the G5 marines and the other of the children and both of them betrayed who believed in them (were the children in the end somewhat lied about Monet so that they kept their trust in her just like Tashigi did with the marines for Vergo btw? Just to see if there is another assonance).

I think it would be interesting for both Vergo and Monet fans to search what these 2 characters share and what not and see if there is some other hidden hint Oda could have give at the time.
That's an interesting point, they are definitely tied together in some way. I mentioned in chapter 2 how Vergo could play a role in Monet's return, but I'll admit I didn't really consider him as much more than a vehicle to facilitate her return and then abandoned him for the remainder of the theory. I could see Vergo making his own contributions from that point forward, such as with potentially freeing Doflamingo and Sugar (which I believe I touched on in chapter 3), but as things stand I don't really see him having much more connection with Monet. That could be worth looking more into, I'm just not sure where to start since there didn't seem to be many more hints about his character that I saw.

That's an interesting point, they are definitely tied together in some way. I mentioned in chapter 2 how Vergo could play a role in Monet's return, but I'll admit I didn't really consider him as much more than a vehicle to facilitate her return and then abandoned him for the remainder of the theory. I could see Vergo making his own contributions from that point forward, such as with potentially freeing Doflamingo and Sugar (which I believe I touched on in chapter 3), but as things stand I don't really see him having much more connection with Monet. That could be worth looking more into, I'm just not sure where to start since there didn't seem to be many more hints about his character that I saw.
@critical mindset is the best expert about Vergo I can think about (if we exclude Vergo maniac and his awesome youtube videos lol). Maybe his study on Vergo is not as deep as yours about Monet but he could help you from the other side of the mirror. Also he has already demonstrated an interest to this thread so..

C

critical mindset

@critical mindset is the best expert about Vergo I can think about (if we exclude Vergo maniac and his awesome youtube videos lol). Maybe his study on Vergo is not as deep as yours about Monet but he could help you from the other side of the mirror. Also he has already demonstrated an interest to this thread so..
@Tokiro Oumaga In the Vivre Card, every Donquixote family member had their childhood expounded upon, save for Pica and Vergo. Vergo is most likely the first prototype for the Vinsmoke for the Germa army
and interesting if there is anything Oda is holding off on Pica.

@Tokiro Oumaga In the Vivre Card, every Donquixote family member had their childhood expounded upon, save for Pica and Vergo. Vergo is most likely the first prototype for the Vinsmoke for the Germa army
and interesting if there is anything Oda is holding off on Pica.
I did mention that Judge could reappear in the same arc as Monet and Vergo, so if there's a time to bring that up (or at least allude to it to set it up for later) it'd be there.

C

critical mindset

I did mention that Judge could reappear in the same arc as Monet and Vergo, so if there's a time to bring that up (or at least allude to it to set it up for later) it'd be there.
That sounds interesting! He’d be 15 at the time he made Vergo as the first prototype as he’s 56, Vergo is 41.

Very detailed theory so far! I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re the head of the Monet FC and I’ll join, she’s definitely a very interesting character! I did a Vergo FC yesterday, you’re welcome to join! Do you think she’s still loyal to Doffy-Sama? Because I see Vergo and Monet having a splendid journey together saving Master-Sama from the pits of hell

That sounds interesting! He’d be 15 at the time he made Vergo as the first prototype as he’s 56, Vergo is 41.

Very detailed theory so far! I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re the head of the Monet FC and I’ll join, she’s definitely a very interesting character! I did a Vergo FC yesterday, you’re welcome to join! Do you think she’s still loyal to Doffy-Sama? Because I see Vergo and Monet having a splendid journey together saving Master-Sama from the pits of hell
Given the rest of the cast and how Vegapunk has apparently been working on inventions since he was a kid, 15 doesn't seem like it'd be too out there for Judge to make a scientific breakthrough like cloning, ESPECIALLY with Vegapunk's help.

Unfortunately, I am not the head of any fanclubs, though I am a member. I've been considering making one on Thriller Bark, but I don't think I want the responsibility (if there is any).

As I said at various points in the theory, I do think that Monet is still loyal to Doflamingo and will use that as an excuse for joining the Straw Hats initially, justifying it as them being her best bet for overthrowing the World Government and freeing Doflamingo, but over time realizing that he was essentially a cult leader.

Well that was a great read, I've always wanted monet to join the crew and this is the most comprehensive theory about it!
However I don't know how realistic it is for her to join, as you've said Oda hasn't brought her up in a long time and there may be only a few arcs left in the whole series (I hope that's not the case).

Anyway, I hope she becomes part of the SH, only time will tell :)

Well that was a great read, I've always wanted monet to join the crew and this is the most comprehensive theory about it!
However I don't know how realistic it is for her to join, as you've said Oda hasn't brought her up in a long time and there may be only a few arcs left in the whole series (I hope that's not the case).

Anyway, I hope she becomes part of the SH, only time will tell :)
Thank you for taking the time to read it, I honestly didn't expect anyone to. This goes for anyone else who actually read it and just didn't say anything, you all are amazing.

As for realism...yeah, it really could go either way, and that is unfortunately a reality I've had to accept. Like I said, I'm going to hold out hope for as long as possible, but I'll always be the first to say it may not happen. None of what I said is by any means a hard and fast requirement for the story, this was all just meant to be a way to demonstrate how it potentially could go if it happens, since a common argument against Monet is the inability to see how she'd fit in the story.

Hey great theory, you’ve convinced me to the point that I pretty much think most of what you said is going to happen. I do have a question however, Not to jump the gun on potential straw hat joinings But does Yamato joining or carrot joining or possibly both, affect the possibility of Monet joining in your eyes?

Hey great theory, you’ve convinced me to the point that I pretty much think most of what you said is going to happen. I do have a question however, Not to jump the gun on potential straw hat joinings But does Yamato joining or carrot joining or possibly both, affect the possibility of Monet joining in your eyes?
I'm super glad you liked it, and it's extremely validating that you believe it, too. Does my heart good.

As for other recruits, Carrot doesn't hurt Monet's chances at all in my eyes, and in fact I think she'd help since so many of my theories are predicated on Carrot, Pudding and Monet all joining. It isn't necessary that they all join, but if both Carrot and Pudding do, I'll be surprised if Monet doesn't too.

I don't know enough about Yamato yet to say one way or the other if I think he really has a chance. I think I see what people are saying with him, since he kins Oden and Oden sailed with Roger, so naturally Yamato should sail with Luffy, but I'm still of the mind that Momo will be Luffy's Oden. If he does join, it's possible that he'll take the 10.5 slot and won't affect anyone else's chances, but since he seems to be being presented as a trans man, he should still be eligible for the 12 or 13 spot without affecting the female 11 spot, assuming that MFMM is correct and -M+F isn't. Of course, both could be wrong and we could get everyone I want AND Yamato.

Really though, I'm not going to take anyone joining as deconfirmation for Monet. The only things that would change my mind on her would be if someone else shows up with her Devil Fruit or the series ends.

There are a few possibilities of what the Medusa Jolly Roger indicates, as the crew it symbolizes could either be Gorgon themed or led by/made up of literal Gorgons. It's easier to assume the former on the basis that we haven't met any Gorgons in the story, but I think that Oda has laid the groundwork for such a reveal later. The more obvious setup comes from our first exposure to the concept of the Gorgon myth on Amazon Lily.

To prevent anyone from ever seeing the Hoof of the Flying Dragon brand on their backs, Gorgon Sisters Boa Hancock, Marigold and Sandersonia convinced their people, the Kuja, that they had defeated and been cursed by the Gorgon to bear the Gorgon's eyes upon their backs and turn anyone who saw them to stone. Their Devil Fruit abilities, the two models of Snake-Snake Fruit and the petrifying Love-Love Fruit, both further supported their tale, as they happened to mirror the legend. What's particularly interesting to me about their story, though, is the implication that the Gorgon is a preexisting myth. Sure, it's possible that the Gorgon Sisters made up the concept from scratch since the Kuja are a fairly isolated tribe who wouldn't necessarily know the specifics of myths from outside their own island, but I doubt they did that since it sounds like they specifically took advantage of their Devil Fruits' similarities to the existing tale. We've seen time and time again that elements of Greek mythology are fairly well known among the general populace of the One Piece world, as not only are the Ancient Weapons and a few of Big Mom's Homies named after gods and titans, but the entire crew was pretty instantly able to recognize the pirates of Punk Hazard as centaurs, not to mention Monet's official designation as a harpy. Interestingly, I can't find any instances of anyone using the term satyr to refer to the sheep-legged members of Punk Hazard, but the fact that Law made satyrs instead of sheep centaurs suggests that he at least is familiar with the concept. Usopp knew about the three-headed dog of the Underworld, Cerberus, as a child, Nami was excited to see Gan Fall's pet bird Pierre turn into a pegasus with the Horse-Horse Fruit, and the Awakened Zoan Jailer Beasts of Impel Down are explicitly named with the prefix Mino-, one of them even being named Minotaur.

All of these instances suggest a near universal familiarity with mythological creatures within the context of the One Piece world, so it wouldn't be out of place for this world to have the story of Medusa and the Gorgons as well. What's more, despite the fact that many of the previous mythological creatures were stated to be only legends, a handful of mythological creatures, both Greek and otherwise, have been demonstrated to exist within the One Piece world, including manticores, sphinx, basilisks, krakens, unicorns and an unseen gryphon in Big Mom's collection, not even counting the implications of Mythical Zoan Fruit such as the Phoenix Model Bird Fruit or Nine-Tailed Fox Model Dog Fruit.

Because so many mythological creatures have been explicitly shown to be real animals within the context of the One Piece world, I would honestly be more surprised to learn that the Gorgon isn't at least based on something in reality. Likewise for harpies, centaurs and satyrs. Of course, I don't necessarily expect it to be a human-shaped animal with snakes growing out of its head, though that is a possibility. Given the fact that the Gorgon Sister legend states the Gorgon cursed them and the image shown depicts it wearing a toga, I'm inclined to believe that the Gorgon is meant to be a sentient creature, even if that particular story was all a lie. This to me implies that there are two possibilities that are more likely than the Gorgon being an animal; the Gorgon is likely either a human who a Devil Fruit (possibly Snake-Snake Fruit, Model: Gorgon) or a previously unidentified reptile-like race.

The proposal of a reptilian race isn't particularly new. I've only really been plugged into the theory mill for the last few years, but I'm sure that once Oda had introduced both a race of fishfolk and beastfolk, it probably wasn't long before fans speculated that lizardfolk wouldn't be too far behind. I myself started entertaining the possibility after we met Morgans, as I had originally thought that he was evidence of a birdfolk race, which inspired me to think of other possible races we may have yet to meet, though that has since been disproven as I mentioned earlier. However, hope for a birdfolk race has since been reignited.

After being captured by the Beasts Pirates at Wano, Big Mom claims that of all of the races in the One Piece world, her kingdom of Totto Land is only missing three. We know that she is missing the Giants for sure, since she burned that bridge when she set Elbaf on fire as a child and then botched the repair-effort when she tried to trick Giant prince Loki by replacing his runaway bride Lola with her twin Chiffon, but the other two are a bit of a mystery. We have a very clear clue for one of them, as Big Mom made this claim as an appeal to King the Wildfire to get him to join her crew and kingdom, as he is of a race that ostensibly disappeared from history.

We don't have a ton to go off of for the nature of this race, as King is the only confirmed member that we've seen, but I think we have enough information that we can draw a few conclusions, the most obvious being that this is a winged race, as that is the only identifiable feature that King has considering that that's the only part of his body not completely obscured in leather. Our second is that this race is likely not related to the Sky People, as not only are the shape and size of his wings completely different from the tiny and specifically oriented wings of the Sky People, but his wings have actually been shown to be capable of independent movement as he was able to flap them in irritation when speaking to the Flying Six, though no indication yet that they can allow for powered flight.

As I said earlier, I'm quite confident that the wings of the Sky People are accessories rather than biological traits, as we have at least four instances of Sky People either removing (Gan Fall and Haredas) or replacing (Enel, Urouge, and possibly even Wyper given the damage his wings took at Upper Yard) their wings.

Thirdly, he doesn't seem to be the last of his race, as shortly before we were introduced to King, we were also introduced to another winged man in Wano, Tenguyama Hitetsu.

Not only do Hitetsu's wings look similar to King's, but they both for some reason are depicted wearing masks. I don't imagine that they have beaks under their masks given that the shape of the masks don't really allow for that and we can see Hitetsu's lips through his, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Oda gave them that similar visual trait. I don't know if they're hiding something or if Oda just wanted to prime us for the idea of a winged man in a mask, but there seems to be at least a small relationship between them. It may also be worth noting that in the anime, Hitetsu's introduction is a shot from his perspective of him seeming to fly above a forest and soar towards his home, but this may have just been an embellishment on Toei's part, so I'm not going to take it as fact just yet. Either way, we've been given the distinct impression that King and Hitetsu's wings are both functional, suggesting that they are both from the same potentially flightful race.

Presumably, this race is meant to be the avian equivalent of the aquatic Seafolk (Merfolk and Fishmen) and mammalian Minks, with each member of this race having the wings of a different bird. It's hard to say what kind of birds King and Hitetsu have the wings of, but the Seafolk are usually pretty hard to get a read on too, so I'm not too sure it really matters. I am interested to learn whether King's bird DNA has anything to do with the fact that he's constantly emitting flames, since that clearly isn't related to his Pteranodon Devil Fruit. Perhaps he's a phoenix Birdfolk and can heal his wounds with his flames? Or maybe he's a rainbow crow, and his wings are blackened with the ashes of his flames which he can quell to reveal the true splendor of his wings for some kind of power up? Or perhaps it's unrelated and he's just using a technique like Sanji's Diable Jambe? Hopefully we'll find out soon, since Onigashima's starting to heat up.

I'm also curious if this winged race is even meant to be Birdfolk at all, as it could be a more general "Winged Folk" and apply to any winged creature like bats and insects in the same way that Seafolk can also include mollusks like octopus and squids. I doubt it, and there isn't really any reason to believe that at present since all we've seen so far have been bird wings, but I'm not going to say it's impossible just yet.

Regardless of the parameters of the winged race, we're still left with one more unaccounted for race missing from Totto Land. There is some chance that Big Mom is referring to a race we already know about, but I have reason to believe that she isn't. Some people seem to believe that the third race she's missing is the Three-Eyes, since she only has a half-breed in her daughter Pudding, but since she seemed like she would be satisfied with just having King as the sole representative of his race, I'm inclined to think she feels that one is enough to represent an entire race. That said, I have wondered why Pudding is the only one, since Pudding must have had a father at some point, so it's possible that when Big Mom said one of the races was erased from history, she meant that she personally killed all of the Three Eyes other than Pudding to ensure that no one else would potentially have access to the Three-Eyes' ability to hear the Voice of All Things, but given how she talks to King, I still think she meant that his race is the one that supposedly went extinct.

I also once thought that Big Mom meant she was missing the Sky People, but I don't think that's the case anymore. Big Mom definitely does know about the Sky People conceptually, since she's had an encounter with Urouge in the past where he defeated one of her Four Sweet Generals, Snack, so soundly that she was reduced to only having three. The signature feature of Big Mom's empire is her information network, so thorough that she even knows the secret method for entering Wano by riding the giant koi up the waterfall, so it would honestly be shocking if Big Mom didn't know about the existence of Sky Islands or the method of reaching them. This is compounded by the fact that before Enel took over Skypiea, it wasn't unheard of for pirates to reach Skypiea via High West (presumably a mountain based on how Gan Fall talks about it) and then leave via Cloud End. In fact, we also know that the people of the Sky Islands have been known to go down to the Blue Sea either temporarily or permanently. Haredas specifically says that he and the other inhabitants of Weatheria frequently make trips to the Blue Sea for research purposes, while an unknown number of Gan Fall's Divine Squad escaped to the Blue Sea out from under Enel's rule, as evidenced by the group of ten seen for sale in Disco's Human Auction House.

Though Disco himself believes them to be ordinary humans, it's clear by their iconic antenna hairstyle that they are in fact Skypieans, despite the fact that they are missing their wings. The fact that they have only a single, central antenna rather than two is proof that they were once members of the Divine Squad, as this is a defining feature of those in their ranks. Though Gan Fall escorted them to other Sky Islands, they likely decided to escape the White Sea entirely just to be safe. By extension, I think this is further proof that their wings are removable, as they seem to have abandoned them to better fit in with the humans of the Blue Sea. They probably kept their hairstyle on principle, as this is a symbol of their culture that wouldn't seem too out of place in comparison to their wings.

Because there have been so many ways for information of the Sky Islanders to reach Big Mom's information network, I cannot imagine that she isn't aware of the tribe of people who wear wings that live in the sky. This would make it plausible that she counts them, but that's also the same reason I think she doesn't: she knows that the wings are accessories. She knows that they don't have any notable special abilities or physical traits. Their wings and antenna are completely aesthetic and removable. As far as anyone is concerned, they really are just humans that live in the sky and have a specific sense of style. The one thing that Big Mom probably doesn't know is that the Sky People are from the moon, as even the Sky People don't seem to know about that since Enel seemed surprised to learn that. If she learned that, she'd probably be a lot more interested, but since there isn't a viable way for anyone to attain that information, we can only assume that Big Mom knows about the Sky People but either doesn't care to bring any to Totto Land or already has and they've changed their style to better fit in with the citizens of the Blue Sea. Honestly, if she cared to get them, there's no reason to assume she wouldn't have access to them, as again, there are definitely methods of reaching Sky Islands that she must know about. There's presumably nothing keeping her from getting one of the Sky People, so the only reason she wouldn't is that she doesn't consider them worth getting.

If Big Mom counts the Three-Eyes among her people, doesn't count the Sky People as a separate race from humans, and has all other known named races represented except for Giants and the winged race, then the only remaining option is that the third race is one that we haven't met yet. I remember when she first said this line, the idea of a reptile race was actually pretty popular because we hadn't learned that Kawamatsu was a Fishman yet and instead were told he was a kappa. The common consensus was that the kappa weren't kappa at all, but instead were a reptilian race that the people of Wano referred to as kappa because they didn't know any better, with Kawamatsu specifically being a turtle reptilian. Part of this turned out to be true, it's just that kappa seem to be their understanding of Fishmen, not reptilians. On that note, Hitetsu's name and appearance suggest that the myth of tengu in Wano comes from the winged race, rather than him taking on that name and aesthetic to fit the bill. Either way, since we have a race of sea creatures, mammals, and now apparently birds, reptiles seem like they would be a worthwhile addition to the world.

I suppose she could mean she's missing the aliens, but there's no indication that anyone on Earth knows that aliens are real, and there's probably multiple races of alien, so she would likely consider herself as missing more than three races. Alternatively, there could be an insectoid race, as we've never seen the face of the beetle-themed Heracles, or even a plant race since the Mushroom Person seen in Big Mom's collection indicates that there is a fungal race.

Either one would be cool, but I think that a reptilian race would be more fitting and has just a little bit more precedent at the moment with the legend of the Gorgon and the Medusa tattoo. Heracles doesn't really have any definitively insectoid features, as he only has four limbs and otherwise seems to just be wearing insect-like clothes with his helmet and shell over his cape, and not only does a fungal race not have any bearing on there being a plant race, but we can't even say for sure that the Mushroom Person is a person at all, as it could just be a human-shaped fungus. Plus, a reptilian race could potentially introduce a fire-element controlling race to complement the water-elemental Seafolk, the terrestrial lightning-elemental Minks, and the potentially air-elemental winged race, whereas an insectoid or plant race would lend themselves to being plant-elementals, a niche more or less filled by the agriculturally gifted Dwarves. It may even end up explaining the origin of fire-based techniques like Diable Jambe, with the reptilians being the long-forgotten progenitors of a fire martial art equivalent to Fishman Karate/Jujutsu or Electro, but that's not too important.

Because of how varied the animal races are in how they portray their hybridization, it's hard to say how the reptilian race would look. The Mermaids are human from the waist up and have fish parts replacing their legs, while the winged race seem to be completely human but with bird wings adorned on their backs. Fishmen are human shaped, but have gills, webbed hands, and generally have fins along with other fish traits, but otherwise just look like humans with inhuman skin tones rather than looking like literal fish. Thus far, the Minks have been the most extreme, looking more like animals with human limbs and posture than humans with animal traits. While there are similarities, each race demonstrates the combination of human and animal in fairly unique ways, so if there is in fact a reptilian race, logic stands that they would be distinct from the races that came before them. I can see a couple of ways to go about this, like making them look almost completely human except for easily concealable details, like patches of scales under clothes, claws under gloves, slit-eyes behind sunglasses, or even a head of snake hair under a hat. They could also have the opposite approach from Minks which look like animals walking as humans and be given limbs that specifically make them move in a more reptilian fashion, like a snake tail in place of legs that causes them to slither or lizard limbs for crawling quickly and climbing walls, or limbs with the appropriate length for walking on all fours with a turtle shell.

Alternatively, they may be the least obviously human, having more saurian postures and more pronounced animal-like facial features, only being clearly humanoid upon closer examination or when they begin conversing, but I find this unlikely since our hypothetical Medusa wouldn't really fit that bill. My favorite idea for them though, unlikely as it may be, would be for all of them to iterate on the base idea of a Gorgon, with living reptiles replacing their hair or possibly other body parts. I have trouble imagining generalized body parts being replaced in a way that doesn't overlap with the Gifters or veer into body horror, but I love the idea of incorporating reptiles into hairstyles, like a crocodile jaw pompadour or a turtle-shell bowlcut. Maybe the chameleon that Coribou wears as a wig was meant as foreshadowing all along.

Obviously I'm not saying that Coribou is a reptilian, but I think it would be interesting if it were a part of the reptilian culture to wear one's appropriate animal as a living headdress and Coribou picked that up somewhere. Of course, it could also just be that Medusa's hair happens to be shaped like snakes, and all reptilians have reptile-shaped hair, but whether it's genuine hair, living hair, or a living hat, I think it would be really fun for the reptilian race's design to expand on this idea. If it is just hair, it'd be neat if they could control the hair the same way that the Boa sisters did when using their Snake Hair Possession technique in their fight with Luffy.

All that said, I don't think anyone would complain if the reptilian race wasn't too different from the Fishmen or Minks, just being scaled humans with the appropriate traits of their individual animals. However they look, I do think that since the Seafolk encompass all sea life and not just fish, it wouldn't be too odd for the reptilians to also embody the cold-blooded creatures that are often confused for them, amphibians. Salamanders and caecilians look like lizards and snakes without scales (some of them even actually do have scales), and frogs have the same sort of projectile tongues as chameleons, so while it's wildly inaccurate to call amphibians reptiles, it'd be no more out of place than calling an octopus or even an orca a fish (though the latter was non-canon). Really it would just be a nice way to incorporate amphibians into the mix without needing to make an entire separate race for them.

As for how the Gorgon became associated with the ability to turn people to stone, I think it's fair to say that not all reptilians have this ability. It's more likely that there was once a particularly well known snake-reptilian that ate a Devil Fruit, possibly the Love-Love Fruit or some other petrifying Fruit. That said, I did mention earlier that the reptilians could be the representatives of an element we thus far haven't seen from the rest of the races. I proposed fire earlier on the basis that reptiles are commonly associated with fire, particularly through dragons but also through the mythological Salamander (not to be confused with the real life, amphibian salamanders), but currently the only characters that we've ever seen use fire techniques and exhibit the subsequently required heat resistance have been human (Sanji's Diable Jambe, Luffy's Red Hawk, Doflamingo's Overheat, Marigold's Salamander, Pearl's Fire Pearl mode, etc.) Therefore, humans may actually be the fire elementals, leaving the reptilians to represent the final unused classical element of earth. Though many are aquatic or arboreal, it's common for reptiles to burrow, with their mystical relatives the dragons being near-universally associated with caves. It isn't as natural a fit as fire, but associating the reptilians with earth wouldn't be any more odd than the Minks using their fur to generate static electricity, and it would give us all four of the classical elements in conjunction with electricity, a common fifth addition. I suppose they could also use poison, but venom isn't as universal in reptiles as burrowing behaviors, and I personally feel it would be a missed opportunity to bring in the earth element. Either one could work for the idea of petrification, though, with paralytic poison being mistaken for turning a target to stone or literally covering a target with mud and dirt to immobilize them.

Some people may argue that Big Mom already has a reptilian race in Totto Land, with characters like Aristocroc living in the Seducing Woods or what appears to be a frog man attending Sanji and Pudding's wedding, but while it isn't explicitly said as far as I can find, it seems pretty likely that they're Homies made by Big Mom, given that we've seen her do the same with mammals and birds.

I suppose the frog man could be a reptilian, but I feel like the race would have been acknowledged more directly by now, and like I said earlier, I can't imagine that Big Mom wouldn't have strong armed them into joining Totto Land by this point. Still, maybe that is the case, and this was a hint that said race exists and Big Mom is trying to gain political favor with them instead of forcing them. Only time will tell.

Regardless of their design, the question still remains what they have to do with Monet. All we really have to go on right now is the fact that she seems to have a Medusa Jolly Roger, and as I said earlier, that could easily be the symbol of a Gorgon Devil Fruit user. While that is definitely possible, I think that the reptilian race's involvement with Monet hearkens back to the same basic idea I presented during my theory on the Vegapunk Saga: the loose ends are likely connected.

Big Mom very specifically says that one of the missing races disappeared from history (I double checked, in Japanese she literally uses the numeral 1), and yet we have no reason to believe that she has some kind of feud with the remaining race. Interestingly though, she never actually clarifies that King's race is the one that's faded out. We can take this a couple of different ways: 1) King's race is the one that died out with him being one of very few survivors while the other race is very difficult to find, or 2) the other race is the one that died out and King's race is heading in the same direction, making them very rare. As previously stated, it's strongly implied that she was referring to King's race as the one that disappeared, but it could still potentially go either way. Regardless of which one is near extinction, the other is either hiding out or in such low numbers that even Big Mom and her information network can't find them, since I'm pretty sure if she knew where they were she'd be able to strong-arm them into joining up with her, especially considering they probably don't have the military might to fight back like the Giants. So the question is, what happened to both of these races?

"Disappeared from history" gives the impression that they died out a long time ago, possibly centuries ago, but it could mean that they just went extinct, and if there's one still floating around, then they had at least two within the last century to make that one...unless King was born from an egg and just took a really long time to hatch...but that's just a bit too speculative for our purposes, and since I'm fairly certain that Seafolk are born via live birth, I have to assume that the winged and reptilian race are much the same. Either way, it's very possible that these races died out or went into hiding within the last decade or two, possibly around the same time.

Two races slipped through Big Mom's fingers at the same time, one possibly related to reptiles while Monet secretly bears a mark that may be related to said race, and the other related to birds while Monet has a hidden reason to have wanted to become a bird herself. What I am proposing is that the winged race and the reptilian race nearly wiped each other out, and Monet was present for their final confrontation.
oh my god the reptilian "lost" race is going to be literal, actual space dragons. the world government destroyed their planet, believes themselves to have genocided their race, and usurped their position in the stars :noo:

Nice theory. Monet probality still be a live. Even Pedro. Bomb in one piece dont kill people. First Igaram at Whiskey Peak, Luffy and Usop fighting Mr Bomb himself still standing after the fight. Then Pell at Alabasta arc. Sabo just also the case. Even at Ohara fire did more damage than navy canon blast. Bomb in OP dont kill people. Some one that can fly pretty good as nakama. You have good determination.

It was an excellent theory... But I have a big doubt. If you don´t care, please I need an answer!. You say that Monet, Robin and Nami. They "join" in the crew after "4" sagas or arcs. And you say that Monet will appear after wano kuni arc. But, maybe I am wrong. But we have already had four arcs., Dressrosa, Zou island adventure, Whole Cake island and Wano right now. (Monet will appear now, or zou is not an arc?. Maybe, if we don´t count zou as an arc because is the begin of whole cake, so monet will appear after wano...) Is this the correct order or i am wrong?
But, with the new chapter, all the things is going good for Monet as nakama. I am soy happy of that.

It was an excellent theory... But I have a big doubt. If you don´t care, please I need an answer!. You say that Monet, Robin and Nami. They "join" in the crew after "4" sagas or arcs. And you say that Monet will appear after wano kuni arc. But, maybe I am wrong. But we have already had four arcs., Dressrosa, Zou island adventure, Whole Cake island and Wano right now. (Monet will appear now, or zou is not an arc?. Maybe, if we don´t count zou as an arc because is the begin of whole cake, so monet will appear after wano...) Is this the correct order or i am wrong?
You got it right, I was counting the Zou Arc as a part of the Whole Cake Island Saga, as Nami and Robin both took four arcs and Jinbe took four sagas (a collection of arcs) to join. The issue is less "how many arcs/sagas" have already passed and more that the delineation between sagas isn't always clear until official materials come out after the fact. This is muddied even more by Oda's recent statement that after Wano we'll be entering the final "arc." Considering how many locations there still are to visit (Elbaf, Laugh Tale, New Marineford, the Moon, etc.) and that each individual island is usually an "arc," I think he was referring to the final connected set of arcs rather than saying "there's only one island left."

Therefore, I think that Monet's delay will go as thus: Dressrosa [1], WCI [2], Wano [3], Laugh Tale [4]. Where during the Laugh Tale Saga she'll come back is hard to say exactly, but in order to give us the proper amount of time to get reacquainted with her and address her backstory and motivations, I would imagine she'd come back within the first arc or two of the final saga.

I hope that made it at all clearer.

P

PeperLevi

Good news. In Chapter 1007,Oda finally gave a update about Punk Hazard. He revealed that even after the accidents,the laboratory still partially alright. This increases the chances of Monet being alright and make a comeback with or without a Cover Story.

Good news. In Chapter 1007,Oda finally gave a update about Punk Hazard. He revealed that even after the accidents,the laboratory still partially alright. This increases the chances of Monet being alright and make a comeback with or without a Cover Story.
I'm really glad that everyone is taking this as a good sign, but I'm pretty sure that the explosion is referring to the one that Caesar caused four years ago that made Punk Hazard a forbidden island in the first place. The report from G5 is referring to Smoker's group uncovering Caesar's operation during the PH arc, so I don't think any of this is new information for us.

Still, the fact that Oda is still talking about Punk Hazard and taking the time to remind us of its relevance is good, so fingers crossed that he's not only taking this time to remind us how Momo got his Devil Fruit, but also that other things are still important on Punk Hazard.

I'm really glad that everyone is taking this as a good sign, but I'm pretty sure that the explosion is referring to the one that Caesar caused four years ago that made Punk Hazard a forbidden island in the first place. The report from G5 is referring to Smoker's group uncovering Caesar's operation during the PH arc, so I don't think any of this is new information for us.

Still, the fact that Oda is still talking about Punk Hazard and taking the time to remind us of its relevance is good, so fingers crossed that he's not only taking this time to remind us how Momo got his Devil Fruit, but also that other things are still important on Punk Hazard.
Unfortunately I'd had to agree. It sounded like it were a recent but past tense. But it's nice to see that PH has some plot relevance left, it was the place this whole Saga started.